• Published 19th Jun 2023
  • 550 Views, 63 Comments

You're Okay - TheKing2001



When Lyra comes home from Canterlot after a music show, she finds a filly sleeping alone and takes her home.

  • ...
5
 63
 550

Chapter IV

I smiled faintly as Scootaloo galloped past in the school yard with her two friends. I vaguely recognized the earth pony as Apple Bloom, Applejacks youngest sister. I knew the unicorn somewhere but I didn’t remember where.

“Hey Lyra,” my friend Cheerilee approached me with a warm smile. I really did love Cheerilee. Such a cheerful warm personality. If I didn’t have Bon Bon and Cheerilee swung that way, I’d hit on her.

“Hey Cheerilee. How’s it hanging with the school ponies?’ I asked curiously as Scootaloo kicked a ball.

“Pretty good. What are you doing today? It’s rare you just hang around the school,” Cheerilee pointed out.

“Watching Scootaloo. School gets out soon right?” She looked at me in confusion.

“Well yes but why Scootaloo specifically?” I let out a sigh as she looked at me expectantly.

“I know Scootaloo is important to you after ya know,” I looked away. The topic of her daughter was a very dangerous topic we didn’t bring up often. “So I need you to promise not to go crazy when I tell you this C, alright?”

“Umm okay? What’s up Ly?”

“So I was walking home one night past the Sweet Apple Acres and it was late. I heard movement, I looked around and Scootaloo ran away from into the treehouse. I naturally go up to her and she’s freaking out that I found her and everything. She pissed herself from being that scared, Cheerilee. I take her home because it was storming. Honest to Celestia, we think she’s homeless.” Cheerilee gasped and pressed a hoof to her mom as her eyes were glued to the laughing filly.

“I can’t believe any of this. You know Scootaloo is like my favorite student along with Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle. Best students in my class. Super inquisitive,” she glanced at me and gave a nervous chuckle. “Along with Twist, of course! Don’t tell Bon Bon this.” I let out a chuckle of my own. Twist was Bon Bons sister.

“Your secret is safe with me. But yeah, it was awful. I’m here to pick her up and bring her back home.” Cheerilee kept watching Scootaloo playing with her friends.

“Why’s that?” Cheerilee finally looked at me and I wiped a tear away from her face with a hoof.

“I don’t know. Just feels right. Having her around. She’s fun to be around,” I admitted as she gave me a wide grin.

“Weren’t you and Bons talking about adopting a colt or filly? If I remember, you guys found one you loved. What’s her name again?”

“Liza. Liza Doolots. She’s a pretty adorable unicorn filly,” I smiled. We hadn’t been by the adoption agency in a few days. I made a mental note to remind Bonnie to take the day off so we could go see her.

“And how long do you plan on keeping Scootaloo around?” Cheerilee pressed. I paused and pressed a hoof to my chin.

“I don’t know. We didn’t really talk about it. I guess till we find some of her family or she grows up and gets on her hooves.”

“Interesting. And how does Rainbow Dash feel about all this?”

“Oh well I don’t know. It’s not really her business if we take Scootaloo in. It’s not her house. Simple as that,” I shrugged. “And if she has a problem with it, she can come say something to mine or Bon Bons face about it.” Cheerilee rolled her eyes with a smile.

“Always the one looking for confrontation, aren’t you?” She teased. “So she doesn’t know about this at all?” I shook my head.

“Not at all. As I said, it’s not her business.” Cheerilee stared at me.

“You know the two view each other like sisters, right?” She asked pointedly. I snorted and rolled my eyes.

“Some sister she is. How do you not notice a filly you call a sister homeless? Do you know where we live Cheerilee?”

“Uh Ponyville?”

“Exactly! Fricking monster capital of Equestria! On the edge of the Everfree no less. It’s not safe for a filly to be asleep in a tree house. It’s not safe anywhere for a homeless filly. At least it was in Ponyville, imagine if we lived in Manehattan or Los Pegasus?”

“I thought Tartarus was the monster capital of Equestria?” Cheerilee smirked. I gave her a look and rolled my eyes.

“You know what I mean. It’s wild in town ever since Twilight moved here,” I answered. “Monster attacks are a weekly event it seems. Don’t even get me started on the national emergencies that seem to spawn around her. Whenever Twilight comes around, trouble is going on wherever she is.”

“Didn’t you grow up with her as a filly in Celestias school and are her friend?” Cheerilee raised an eyebrow.

“I’m not entirely sure we are friends. We’re friendly but I don’t know. She left Canterlot on awkward terms. I’m allowed to make these comments because former friend status,” I smirked and she rolled her eyes dramatically.

“I’m not entirely sure that’s how it works but okay. How’s the shop going? Do you and Bons need some help one day?” Cheerilee asked hopefully.

“It’s been going okay I suppose. We could always use some help, why? How’s Dinky and Twist doing?

“That’s good. Rent of my house went up again and I gotta get some more school supplies so I need the bits. Think I could stop by a few weekends and help around the shop? I can do anything you all need. They are doing fine. Silverspoon was making fun of Derpy behind Dinkys back but I quickly squashed that and gave her detention. Dinky is thankfully oblivious to it all,” Cheerilee sighed and a flash of anger rushed through me. Stupid fillies could be evil to each other.

“You can stop by anytime. We would give you the bits if you need it you know.” Cheerilee adamantly shook her head.

“I can’t let you do that. I want to help my friends out however I can,” she smiled and patted my head. “I’ll stop by this weekend if that works for you guys.”

“Yeah that works for us,” I nodded. Cheerilee nodded towards a running pegasus coming up to us.

“Here comes Scootaloo,” she said with a warm smile.

“Hey Miss Cheerilee!” Scootaloo smiled. She glanced over at me curiously. “Why is Lyra here?”

“Me and Cheerilee go way back,” I chuckled. “Me, her and Derpy grew up together.” Her eyes slightly widened.

“That’s so cool! But are you just here to talk to her?”

“Nah. I’m here to pick you up to bring you home. You’re staying with us for a while till we can find some other family members or you turn eighteen.”

“Why?” She asked incredulously.

“Because it’s not safe to live on the street dear,” Cheerilee said gently. Scootaloo stared at me with an unreadable expression.

“You told her?”

“I had to. As a teacher and a friend, she deserves to know what’s going on. Now let’s go home and get your homework done. And don’t try lying to me about not having any. Cheerilee will tell me if you do have some,” we both smirked at her terrified expression.

“Okay. I’ll get right on it!” Scootaloo promised.

“See ya Cheerilee,” I waved as we started to trot away.

“Bye Lyra. See you this weekend!”