• Published 29th Sep 2012
  • 3,213 Views, 110 Comments

What was meant to be - StormHoof32



Applejack and Rainbow Dash have been Friends for a long time, and eventually they grow closer.

  • ...
21
 110
 3,213

Part 2: A Broken Heart

A Broken Heart


Applejack was cuddled up to Rainbow as they Laid together in a patch of grass, staring up at the bright blue sky. Rainbow turned her head and looked into Applejacks startling green eyes, and smiled. Applejack looked back at her and smiled back.

"Ah love ya Rainbow." she whispered.

"I love you too, AJ." She replied.

Applejack chuckled at the fact that Rainbow used her nickname. She would have used Rainbows nickname, but only Pinkie was aloud to call her Dashie. She kissed the Pegasus, feeling her soft fur against her face. It made her feel at home and safe.
Rainbow kissed her back, putting as much love into the kiss as possible while holding her marefriend close. She had never used the word before. it seemed weird but it felt right.

"You know Rainbow, we have to tell our friends eventually." she said quietly.

"Do we have to?" Rainbow replied.

She was about to complain more but was cut off with a quick kiss from Applejack.

"It won't be that hard Sugarcube, We've been up against worst things than this." she explained, managing to calm the pegasus down a little bit.

"Ok, but you have to tell them, I can't."

Applejack just looked her in the eyes, "Rainbow, we have to do this together, Ah need you to do this for me."

"I-Ok I'll try." she said as she was kissed again.

"Ok if you keep kissing me like that, your gonna make my mind get all messed up." she laughed.

Applejack purposefully planted a kiss on her, laughing after wards.

"Alright thats it!" she said as she rolled on top of Applejack and began tickling her.

**********************

Later when they had gathered their friends at Twilight's, they stepped up to a small makeshift podium, made by stacking a bunch of books, and prepared to tell their friends the news.

Applejack noticed Rainbow was getting nervous, so she took her hoof in hand ans whispered, "It's all gonna be ok Sugarcube."

They looked at all of their friends who where waiting impatiently. "Everypony, we have somthin ta tell ya, Rainbow Dash and I, well, we're together." Applejack said as Rainbow stood there unable to move.

They waited, and out of nowhere, they heard Spike, "Way to go guys!" and suddenly they were all congratulating them. Rainbow let out a sigh of relief as friend after friend hugged her saying they were happy for her. She walked over to Twilight's faucet, took out a glass, and filled it with water. She was relieved, but as she turned around, she realized that somepony was no longer there. She counted again, and realized, Fluttershy was gone.

Feeling worried, Rainbow, told Applejack that she was going to go find her. She took off through the door and flew up into the sky. She scouted out and around, looking for even the smallest hint of her friend. then she saw a flash of yellow next to a tree. When she flew down, she saw Fluttershy sitting next to a tree, but when Rainbow got closer, she saw that she was crying.

"Fluttershy?" she asked hesitantly, But she just looked away and continued to cry.

"Fluttershy, whats wrong? did someone hurt you?" she asked, wanting to console her friend.

Fluttershy nodded.

"Who was it, ill kick their head in!" Rainbow said angrily.

"It-It was you!!!" she cried and flew away.

Rainbow just stood there with her mouth open. How in the world did she hurt her friend. she thought through everything that happened, and could not think of a single reason.

She flew off after her friend, but when she cought up with her, she was still too late, as Fluttershy rushed into her cottage, sobbing even harder.

Rainbow flew up to the door and knocked.

No answer.

"Fluttershy! I don't understand, how have I hurt you?" she asked feeling frantic.

"Go away!" she heard from behind the door.

"Come on Fluttershy. Please, can't we talk about this?"

Slowly the door opened, revealing an extremely upset Fluttershy. When Rainbow looked at her, she noticed tears still running down her face, and her eyes were red and puffy.

"Fluttershy, I don't understand. Please explain?" she asked.

"I-I love you Rainbow Dash! I always have, ever scince flight school." she sobbed.

Then it hit her, she had broken her friends heart, just by being with Applejack.

"I was never able to tell you, I was always to afraid of what you would think." she cried.

Rainbow felt horrible, Fluttershy was her best friend, and she had blatantly stated in front of her, that she loved somepony else.

"Fluttershy, I-I'm so sorry, I didn't know, I wouldn't have come out with this if I'd have known." She replied.

"Just go Rainbow, go back to Applejack." She sobbed, her face contorted into an expression of pain and emotional hurt.

The door closed, leaving Rainbow standing there, wanting nothing more than to hide in her own home, and just stay away from everypony.

"Are ya ok Sugarcube?" said a voice from behind her.

"I take it you heard all that?" she asked.

"Ah'm so sorry Rainbow, Ah didn't know Fluttershy felt so strongly for ya." She replied.

Rainbow turned around and hugged Applejack. She felt so terrible, like she had ultimately betrayed her friend. She looked into Applejacks eyes and she could see her love was feeling the same way.

"Applejack, I don't know what to do." she said, wanting to just disappear.

"Well, Ah do. I think, it would be better if you go to her Rainbow. Ah don't want to let you go, but if it means keepin Fluttershy as a friend, it's worth it." she explained.

Rainbow just looked at her. Was her marefriend seriously dumping her, and telling her to be with somepony else?

"I-I..." She was unable to finish as Applejack placed her hoof over her mouth.

"Don't say it Rainbow, Just go, she needs ya."

Rainbow turned away, not wanting Applejack to see her cry. This day couldn't get any worse.

She walked back to Fluttershy's home, heartbroken and upset, feeling like the world had just crashed down around her. She opened the door and walked in, and staring at her was Fluttershy, who had just heard everything that had just transpired.

"Rainbow, i'm sorry." she said about to start crying again.

Rainbow walked over to Fluttershy, hugged her tightly and cried.


Authors note: ok, this chapter was a sad one. I made myself want to cry, lol. I hope you all like it. It adds a little twist in the story, and i figured it might make it a little better. Let me know what you think, and keep the comments coming. -StormHoof