• Published 29th Sep 2012
  • 3,197 Views, 110 Comments

What was meant to be - StormHoof32



Applejack and Rainbow Dash have been Friends for a long time, and eventually they grow closer.

  • ...
21
 110
 3,197

New Feelings, and New Hurts.

Rainbow awoke the next morning feeling only slightly better, but as she looked around, it seemed as though the world had lost much of it's color. Things just didn't feel right anymore. Rainbow looked around for her shy friend, but could not spy her anywhere. She got up off the couch, and walked outside, looking up at the sky, wanting to fly up and never come down again, just to be free.

"Oh...Your awake."

Rainbow turned to find Fluttershy looking at her with love in her eyes. She trotted over and kissed Rainbow and held her close. Something about having her friend close to her made her feel happy again. She felt those warm feelings in the pit of her stomach, the same feelings she felt when she had fallen for Applejack.

Rainbow Kissed Fluttershy back, feeling the soft touch of her lips against her own.

"I-If you want, we c-could go flying together?" she asked.

Rainbow looked at her with joy as she realized that Fluttershy was the only pony that could join her in the one place that made her feel happy. She took Fluttershy's hoof into her own and they both took off. She flew slowly to allow Fluttershy to keep up with her. It was hard for her though because she wasn't used to not flying fast.

"Fluttershy, u make me feel like I did before Applejack. Like life has a meaning again."

"Oh, I'm so glad I can help, I love you a lot Rainb-mmmph." Fluttershy said as she was cut off my a kiss from the rainbow maned pegasus.

They flew for the rest of the morning, not realizing that down below, an orange earth pony was watching with a broken heart.

********************************

Applejack watched as her one true love flew with her friend. It tore her up inside that Rainbow hated her so much. She would never love again, Rainbow would always be in her heart.

She turned and headed back to Sweet Apple Acres and as she turned she ran right into Twilight.

"You miss her don't you?" she asked.

"More than you could possibly imagine Twi, I just can't live with out her."

Twilight placed her hoof around Applejack and walked her to the library. When they got there, she opened the door and walked inside, and sat down in front of the heartbroken mare.

"Applejack, you can tell me what happened. I promise I won't tell anypony."

"Ah don't know sugarcube, Ah'm not sure if Ah can do it." she replied.

Twilight just stared at her with questioning eyes.

"Well, It was like this, After Rainbow and Ah told y'all that we were together, Rainbow said Fluttershy wasn't there no more. So she said she'd go find her," Applejack explained, "But Ah followed her, and found out that Fluttershy was in love with Rainbow, so ah told her to go to Fluttershy because Ah didn't want to lose her as a friend, and Rainbow got upset. Ah left and Rarity saw how sad Ah was lookin, and said she could help, but when she kissed me, Rainbow saw and took off. So now she thinks that Ah don't love her no more and I know she hates me, but I still love her more than all the apples on ma farm."

Applejack looked at Twilight as she thought it over.

"Applejack, I don't think Rainbow hates you, I think she's just hurt, and she feels betrayed. She probably just needs some time to calm down."

"Twi, You didn't see how happy she looked with Fluttershy, She looked as happy as she did when she was with me, maybe more." Applejack replied as a she felt her over all demeanor become sadder.

"Maybe Rainbow is developing feelings for Fluttershy." Twilight added.

Applejack just felt like cryin as soon as those words left her mouth. She turned and ran out of the library and to her home to cry in peace over the love that she had felt for such a brief amount of time.

*************************

Rainbow and Fluttershy stood there in front of the Everfree forest, looking into it's vast depths. Earlier, Fluttershy had said that she need Rainbow's help with gathering a few herbal plants she could use to heal injuries.

"Rainbow...um...you don't have to go." Fluttershy said, her voice shaking a bit.

"Well I know your not going to go in there, So I pretty much have to."

Fluttershy just stared in fright at the looming forest that laid before her. She worried for Rainbow as she entered the forest, she didn't want her special somepony to get hurt. Rainbow dashed into the forest and grabbed the herbs as she came across them, but the deeper she went the more she realized she didn't know where she was. right as she was about to fly up to see if she could find the edge. She was tugged downward by a tree branch that had caught on her wing. She fell to the ground and slammed into it. There was a loud snap as pain shot through her right wing and through her whole body. She tried to get up but she couldn't and she lied there, thinking that this was the last time she would see any of her friends. The pain was too much and Rainbow passed out.

After about an hour, Fluttershy became even more worried, Rainbow wasn't coming out. Fluttershy ran as fast as she could to the one pony she knew could help find the rainbow maned pegasus. When she finally made it to Sweet Apple Acres, she dashed into the house and burst into Applejack's room, scaring the Orange mare.

"Fluttershy! What's goin on?" she said, as her heart rate began to slow back to normal.

"It's Rainbow Dash! She hasn't come out of the everfree forest yet, and I'm really worried."

Applejack immediately jumped off her bed, Grabbed her hat, and dashed out the door. She knew this was her chance to make it up to the pony she loved, and she would do whatever it took to do it. She ran up to the edge of the forest and stopped a few feet away.

'Well this is it, Now or never' she thought to herself before rushing in.