• Published 24th May 2023
  • 566 Views, 19 Comments

Empire Apple - CalmBreezes



Applejack is left alone to save Equestria from certain doom after all her friends disappear.

  • ...
3
 19
 566

Chapter 6: Upheaval

The guards were not especially considerate as they dragged Applejack down the stairs of the Captain's Tower and into the darkness below. This was probably because she had been able to land more than one solid kick on them before they had managed to subdue her. The four guards, three of them limping, clearly felt uncomfortable with the situation. Arresting a guardian of harmony after she attacked their captain was unheard of. Still, they did their job with professional discretion.

On the ground floor of the guard barracks was the doorway to the dungeons, a labyrinthine underground structure that encompassed the entire underside of the castle. The black iron hinges whined as the thick oak door swung open. Applejack couldn't believe what was happening. The Captain of the Guard had committed a coup. Before she had bucked Stern right across his office she had seen the guards beat up and drag members of the gathering off somewhere. This dungeon was probably where she'd find them. The solid stone walls gleamed with moisture as the torches flickered. A musty wind blew out of the dark depths. She tried twisting and kicking to break free, but to no avail.

After being dragged from one hallway to another, Applejack and the guards finally arrived at her designated cell. The guards removed her bindings and kicked her in. She landed softly on the hay-covered floor. Applejack immediately stood up and charged at the door, but her captors had already locked it shut. A few rebellious kicks at the solid steel door did nothing but shake mortar off the walls. The guards trotted away, leaving Applejack panting in the torchlight.

"Gosh. Huff. Darnit."

She had struggled to get free with all her strength, but four against one had been too much. At least they respected her enough not to underestimate her. Besides, she could've taken them if she hadn't been hogtied. At least that's what she kept telling herself as she clung to the bars, looking down the hall as the guards vanished into the darkness.

"I say, if it isn't Miss Applejack. I see Rarity isn't the only one who knows how to make an entrance."

Applejack spun around, beads of sweat flying raining from her mane. There was another pony in the cell with her. A stallion rose from one of the bunks standing next to the stone walls. The blue mane, the sophisticated manner of speech, and the classy tuxedo were unmistakable. Even if his outfit was a tad frayed and crumpled.

"Fancy Pants?"

"In the flesh, Miss Applejack."

His greetings were interrupted as he coughed into his sleeve.

"Please excuse me. The air down here is absolute murder on the old windpipes."

"How'd you end up here?"

Applejack was still stunned by his sudden appearance.

"The last time I saw you was a couple of days ago at the gathering."

"Our good captain had me thrown in here after one of those delightful meetings. Something about being a 'dangerous agitator' and a 'demagogue'. I've carried quite many labels but a traitor to the realm is a new one."

Fancy Pants walked over to the single cracked mirror, framed over a small bubbling water fountain, the only one in the cell. His mane, always well-coiffed when out in public, was starting to lose its luster and volume. It was a miracle he had kept it as well-groomed as it was, down here in the dungeons.

"And even after I always make sure to invite him to my delightful evening getaways. What a shame, always too busy with work to unwind and socialize. No pony was surprised when he was promoted to Captain, but I do believe his zealous dedication is partly to blame for his current breakdown. "

"Breakdown? He's gone nuttier than a squirrel's pants about bringing back Celestia! The gathering, he had the guard arrest them!"

"It's just what I was worried about. I'm certainly not a healthcare professional, but during my meetings with him, I did sense a certain, how would you say, instability in his behavior. Out of sheer professional courtesy, I took the matter up with him. After a very intense and nonsensical speech about the dear missing Princess and the fate of Equestria, he had me thrown in here quite unceremoniously."

Fancy Pants kept working on his mane, attempting to get it to stay up with pure willpower and tap water.

"But arresting the rest of the Gathering, how strangely bold. Wonder what finally gave him the courage to go through with his power grab."

Applejack sat down on the stone floor. She cast her eyes down and stared at the cracks in the floor.

"Me. He was waiting for me. He thought I was gonna help him."

"Well, aren't we lucky you didn't."

"I was going to, ya know. I was just as blind as he was. Thought only saving my friends mattered."

"Ah yes, and then you saw the infamous big picture. It does have a bad habit of putting a damper on personal quests and goals. I am glad you did however, with you on his side he would have succeeded."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

Fancy Pants abandoned his futile attempts to prop up his mane with sink water alone and turned towards her.

"Miss Applejack, with all due respect, you are the last remaining element of harmony. Of honesty no less. With your support, the popular opinion would have been entirely on his side."

"That's crazy talk. No pony gives a flying feather what I think."

"I disagree most vehemently, Miss Applejack. We are living in uncertain and turbulent times. Strangers are at our doors ordering us around and telling us how to live, old institutions of safety have been found weak and wanting. The sky itself bleeds red and magic is gone, maybe for good. The cornerstones of our fair land, the Princesses, have disappeared. I do not remember Equestria ever having faced such an amalgamation of disaster. Ponies are rightfully scared out of their minds."

He turned back around and stared at his visage in the broken mirror.

"And worst of all, I am running out of my favorite imported mane grooming product. Tragic."

Fancy Pants looked back at Applejack and winked cheekily.

"So naturally ponies seek safety from familiar faces. Such as yours."

Applejack was starting to get frustrated. She paced around the cell, kicking hay and grumbling. Fancy Pants ceased his hygiene attempts and sat down on his bunk. Applejack kept pacing.

"So what? Just cause they know who I am makes them think I make decisions for them? That I know what's best for 'em? Ya'll want me to take over? To sit on that hoity-toity throne and pretend like ah know exactly what's going on? What a load of horse apples."

"It would be an upgrade to our current startup no doubt, but first things first. The good Captain must be stopped."

"Now that's what I want to hear. He'll tear all of Equestria down to look for Celestia."

"Quite. Now, where did you last see him? Did he ask you anything else other than your support?"

"I went to see him. I had something I thought he needed, that we needed."

"What was it?"

"A staff that can raise the sun..."

Fancy Pants sat still for a second. He then continued, as if the explosive revelation was completely obvious.

"Naturally, I expected nothing less from a Guardian of Harmony. When you save Equestria you certainly don't hold back. So what happened? Does he plan on using it? Or will he lock it up in his zealous loyalty to Celestia and start marching around Equestria looking under pebbles and bushes for them?

"He took it once I told him off, but he ain't going to use it. He's got some issues with it. Also, he might not walk for a while, not after our last meeting."

"Ooh, how dramatic. How bad was it?"

"Just a broken rib, hopefully. I honestly didn't expect the armor to fold in that easily."

"Mostly ceremonial my dear, some of it's just brass."

Applejack turned around and grabbed the bars of her cell. Fancy Pants got off the bunk and joined her.

"Tarnation. I ain't going to buck this open. It's too heavy. Need to figure some other way out."

"I have followed the guards as they make their nightly patrols, and I believe I could —"

He was cut off by the sound of a heavy crash, which vibrated through the hallway. Then another. A pony shouted in the distance. Applejack and Fancy Pants both craned their necks through the bars to see what was going on. The sound of shouting was replaced with the sound of footsteps racing towards them. Half a dozen ponies rounded a corner and dashed right past their cell, before comically skidding to a halt once the leader noticed Applejack. It was none other than Silky Smooth. She was followed by a bunch of ponies from the Gathering, one of them being the large red unicorn. Applejack and Fancy Pants stared at them. They stared back in silence. The red unicorn spoke first.

"Well well, lookie here. If it ain't my favorite earthy in this entire slagging city. How are you doing doll?"

Applejack could only stare at them dumbfounded.

"Oh, right. Never had the pleasure to make with the acquaintances."

The red unicorn dusted himself off, walked over to their cell, and extended his heavy hoof.

"The name's Street Sweeper." "

Applejack shook his hoof, still dumbstruck.

"Now let's get the two of ya outta there."

Street Sweeper pulled out a keyring from his frock coat. He started going through the keys looking for the right key to their cell. The rest of the Gathering ponies had arranged into two groups and kept watch towards both ends of the hallway. Silky Smooth was whispering orders to them. Street Sweeper grunted as he found the right key. He pushed it in and the lock clanked open. Applejack and Fancy Pants stepped out. Silky Smooth turned towards them.

"Miss Applejack. A pleasure.

She finally noticed Fancy Pants.

"And... You..."

Fancy Pants didn't skip a beat.

"Silky Smooth my dear, lovely to run into you."

He was met with a stare cold enough to wilt roses.

"Quite."

Applejack felt the tension between them, but now was not the time for personal drama.

"I, um. Nice to meet ya'll. I'm Applejack. Now, which way outta here?"

Fancy Pants interjected.

"Please fillies and gentle-colts, if you would follow me. I know these dungeons like the back of my fetlocks."

He pointed towards the opposite way the escaping ponies had barreled through from.

"The coal door next to the castle wall is an excellent way to sneak out undetected."

Silky Smooth and Street Sweeper looked at each other and nodded. Street Sweeper tapped him on his shoulder.

"After you, buddy."

The Applejack and the rest of the escapees followed Fancy Pants as they raced through the twisting hallways of the dungeon. Cell after cell swept past them. What did Celestia need all these cells for, Applejack thought, as she ran close behind the rest. Finally, after a couple of flights of stairs, they barged into an abandoned maintenance room. High on the wall, right next to the ceiling, was a small door just large enough for a pony to squeeze through. The group started stacking chairs and boxes. They quickly had a makeshift ladder, and carefully climbed their way up. The rusty hinges of the utility door creaked as Applejack and the rest pulled themselves out into fresh air.

They found themselves on a side street, located right under the inner walls of the castle, which separated the palace and castle grounds from the rest of Canterlot City. The other three ponies who had escaped with them raced off down the street without saying a word and disappeared. Applejack, Fancy Pants, Silky Smooth, and Street Sweeper were left standing there. The sounds of unrest and fighting echoed through the buildings. Multiple pillars of smoke were rising on the horizon.

Silky Smooth looked around frustrated. Her pale green mane had streaks of black from the dirt and the coal dust they had crawled through. The façade of a composed and emotionless mare Applejack had seen at the gathering had completely fallen off. The metal gray earth pony ground her teeth.

"The peanut brain sent his muscle out on the streets to round up the other gathering members. We need to find a safe place to recollect ourselves."

Street Sweeper dusted himself off.

"Not a bad idea Silky. My throat's dry as parchment from all this running around."

Fancy Pants through for a second, and then clapped his hoof on the ground.

"I know, we can pop around the corner. There's a lovely little tea shop right there. The purveyor will most certainly let us catch our breath and maybe even have a spot of afternoon tea."

Having no better alternatives, the ragtag group once again followed Fancy Pants. Applejack kept staring at the smoke rising around them. The shouting and noise only got louder as they went deeper into the city.

The 'little teashop', as Fancy had described it, was very much the opposite. The elegant tea room took twice the space of the shops around it and was fancy, even by Canterlot standards. The place looked closed, with the terrace and garden completely emptied and the windows closed and shuttered. Fancy Pants trotted confidently over to the door and gave it a light tap, and then another. The peephole on the door opened. An eye looked him over and the door opened. A wizened old unicorn in a smart vest opened the door. He gestured them inside.

The tea room was even more impressive on the inside. Elegant woodwork with flowing floral patterns decorated the pillars and the booths of the shop. The floors were covered by patterned wool carpets, and herbs of all kinds hung from the ceiling. It would have been even more impressive if the lights had been on and the entire tea room wasn't devoid of customers.

The only source of light was a candle held by the proprietor of the place. Fancy Pants exchanged a few pleasantries with the pony and asked him to bring them a pitcher of water and something to eat. The pony nodded, lit another candle for them, and disappeared into the kitchen.

Fancy Pants took the candle and set it on the table closest to them. Everyone pulled up chairs and sat down. Applejack looked at her fellow escapees. Big red, the unicorn named Street Sweeper, sat down with a grunt and loosened his frock coat. Silky Smooth held her torn dress up and sat down elegantly. Her wide-brimmed must have been left in the dungeons. Fancy Pants acted just as he always did, with a sophisticated, if slightly unconcerned air of class. Applejack didn't bother with keeping up appearances and just pulled the chair under her bottom, put one elbow over the backrest, and stared at the ponies around the table. She was beaten up, tired, and still quite peeved off by Stern's sudden coat turn. Most of all she wanted to know what the hay was going on. Silky Smooth started.

"There is nothing much to say. We were in the middle of our meeting on irrigation channels when the guards suddenly kicked the door down. Unlike some other ponies at this table, I didn't bother fighting back."

Street Sweeper continued.

"You missed out on a right wallop Silky. Those colts in gold can take a pounding. Not like the ones back home in Fillydelphia. There they'll drag you down to the precinct, strap ya to a chair and only then give you a pounding. But the ones here are old school. Love it! Taught them a thing or two before they turned my lights. Eye of the dragon baby!"

"Once Mister Sweeper managed to get his 'lights turned off' they dragged us into the dungeons. The Captain must have thought the gathering would stand up to his coup and targeted us first. Committee leaders and spoke ponies. Anyone who could try and stop him."

Silky Smooth started tapping the wooden table with her hoof. The tapping accelerated. Her usually calm face turned into a grimace as she ground her teeth. She started swaying back and forth while whispering to herself.

"Stupid mistake. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Should have seen it coming. Stupid. Should've seen it coming. Stupid mistake."

Applejack looked at the poor mare with a worried expression. She tried addressing her.

"Hey, are you alright, Miss Smooth?"

"Don't worry doll, she'll be fine, just let her get the jitters out. As for me, I woke up in a jail cell with my head hurting and this sour broad looking down on me. Wouldn't be the first time. Ha!"

He gave a hearty laugh and elbowed Silky Smooth. She was not as amused. She punched him right in the shoulder, which seemed to calm her down. She fixed her mane and straightened her dress. She cleared her throat.

"Indeed, this red buffoon only came back to his senses in the dungeon. That is when the strangest thing happened. After the guards who arrested us left, another guard appeared. She came right up to the cell door, threw in the key ring, and just ran off."

Applejack squinted her eyes in disbelief.

"What? What did she look like?"

"None of us got a good look at her face. All I remember is that she was a pegasus with a dark blue mane and light blue coat. Could be anyone."

Dark blue...

Applejack was beginning to see a pattern. Someone was out there watching her, and helping her. Great, just what I needed. Mah own mysterious stalker. Just perfect. But maybe she wasn't a danger to her or anyone else. The stranger could have left them all to rot in the dungeon. Maybe she tried to help.

"Can't look a gift dog in the mouth. We got lucky and someone took pity on us."

Applejack stood up and leaned on the table.

"But luck ain't gonna last. We need a plan. You two, are you going to help us? We're going to need all the hooves we can get if we want to stop this madness."

Street Sweeper rested his heavy head on his hoof.

"What's there to do? Ponies are running wild and scared. It'd take a miracle to calm them down."

Applejack slammed both of her hooves on the table. Everyone turned towards her in unison.

"Then we give 'em a darn tootin' miracle. We're going to put a stop to this twilight and raise the sun ourselves."

As soon as Applejack said 'Raise the sun' Street Sweeper burst out laughing. What a jovial pony, Applejack thought. She was starting to get annoyed by his flippant attitude.

"I knew it! I knew you did something to upset that old brush hair. Enough to send you in the potato cellar! So what is it? An amulet? A spell? Some kinda spirit come and help you out?"

"Not an amulet, no. A magic staff to raise the sun. The only problem is it's in Stern's hooves, and he ain't ever gonna use it. He'd rather wait for the Princesses to come back and do it herself."

Silky Smooth stared at Applejack hard enough to bore holes in concrete, then looked down. She started drawing imaginary lines and circles on the table, muttering to herself. Street Sweeper glanced sideways at her, then winked at Applejack.

"You get used to it. So, Miss Applejack. A way to raise the sun, eh? Would not expect anything from a super mare like yourself. You come in, chew out the entire Gathering, and instantly bang out a solution to a problem we've been struggling to even make a committee about. The looks on those pompous faces, when we raise the sun, are going to be unforgettable! I LOVE it!"

He reached over for a hoof bump.

"I'm in. Let's take that sheathe-hole down. It'll be easy now that you've got the guild master of the United Dockworkers and Teamsters Guild on your side."

Applejack bumped back.

"Glad to have you on board, Mister Sweeper."

"Only my lawyers call me Mister. Call me Sweeps, or whatever you want."

"You got it, Big Red."

"HAH! I love this filly already!"

The proprietor of the tea room came back with their food. They all took a break to eat and drink, mostly stale bread and some cheese. He had taken the time to boil them some water for brewing tea. Silky Smooth and Fancy Pants used some warm water to clean up. Once they had finished Silky Smooth pushed her empty teacup to the side and also reached over to Applejack, not for a hoof bump, but for a hoofshake.

"Miss Applejack. I thought it over. Helping you is our best chance at taking the situation back under control."

"Thanks for the vote of confidence pardner."

"Not a vote, but a fact. I suspect the shouting and the smoke are from the riots against the gathering being dragged off. The guards will be busy pacifying them. The riots won't last forever though. Now is our best chance to take the staff back. Then we use it to cause shock and awe by raising the sun. That will demoralize the Royal Guard. Currently, our chances are suboptimal though. We need more help."

"Ah know just who we need. There's just one thing."

Silky Smooth's dull amber eyes fixated on Applejack.

"Ya'll do realize once the sun rises the Gathering's gone? You'll all be out of a job."

"I am fully aware of this. And I am glad. The Gathering was not the right place for me. Too much... Red tape."

Street Sweeper interjected.

"She means she didn't get to boss everyone around like she's used to."

Silky Smooth threw him a dirty look. She slammed the table. Her Manehattan accent pushed through.

"How in blazes we're we supposed to get anything done with those raggedy stunads wasting everyone's time! That two-bit operation was doomed from the get-go!"

Silky Smooth looked back at Applejack.

"So yes. I'm in because I want to make a difference. You are the only pony here who seems to be making one. I'll help any way I can."

"Now we're talking. How about you Fancy Pants?"

Fancy Pants had been quiet all this time. He peeked through the gap in the shutters and sipped his tea. He continued staring outside as he spoke.

"Miss Applejack. As a lark, try to imagine if someone was trying to tear down your lovely little town of Ponyville. Someone ready to destroy everything without any consideration for how beautiful, wonderful, magical, and ancient it is? Just to prove some delusional point?"

He turned over to them and placed his empty cup on the table.

"I'm not going to let that happen to my city. Let's go sort the Captain out, Applejack. And then some."

"Looks like we've got some of the posse rounded up, but not all. We still need some serious muscle and magic, and I know just the ponies for it."

The proprietor of the tea house let them out through the backdoor. The red glow of the twilight barely lit the back alley. It stank of uncollected trash. The old tea master closed the door behind them, and the four ponies started galloping down the alley. They were heading to where Applejack had sent Black Creek and Dull Pauldron, to Shining Armor's house.

Black Creek and Dull Pauldron were the only ponies who Applejack trusted enough who could help them get back the staff. If the artifact vault had proven anything it was that both of them could hold their own in a fight. Applejack and the rest raced through the streets, now crowded with ponies and debris. The citizens of Canterlot had come out of hiding, braving the red glow of the eternal twilight, and looking uncharacteristically angry. Word had already spread that the Captain of the Guard had arrested the Gathering and was trying to take over by force. Worst of all, he was going against the will of the princesses. The ponies of Canterlot had had enough. The ponies had taken to the streets, and crowds were angrily staring down any guards who dared to try and disperse them.

As they rushed through the crowds and weaved past makeshift roadblocks made from piled-up furniture and garbage, Applejack once again felt like someone was watching her. A shadow was following them on the rooftops. The mysterious stalker probably wasn't any danger to her, but she was getting annoyed by their persistence.

They finally reached the Sparkle family house, the large two-story house in the heart of Canterlot. The front door had been kicked in. They went inside through the broken door. All they could find indoors was upturned furniture and signs of a scuffle. Applejack stomped the floor in frustration. The guards must have gotten them while they were searching for her. She grabbed her bags, which she had left lying in the corner of the kitchen. Already she felt more secure knowing she had her trusty lasso with her.

Her ears perked up. A pony was shouting outside on the streets. Then without warning one of the royal guards came flying through the window and crashed right in front of them in the living room. He was out cold from the impact.

Applejack glimpsed through the broken window. There they were. Black Creek and Dull Pauldron were standing in the middle of the street, between a bunch of beaten Gathering members and a group of very angry-looking Royal Guards. The armored soldiers had them surrounded.

The leader of the guards ordered them to give up.

"Stand down! By order of the Captain!"

Dull Pauldron stood his ground.

"Not happening, brother. Ain't no way I'm letting you take these ponies."

"Dull, please. This is my last warning. Step away from the traitors. You'll lose everything."

Dull Pauldron looked at the cowering ponies behind him, then at the sergeant. He did not move. Black Creek was standing next to him, shaking like a leaf in the wind under Dull's massive shadow. He was holding one of his strange contraptions tightly in one hoof. Cold sweat was pouring down his face.

The sergeant, taking a deep breath, held up his hoof, and prepared to give the command to charge.

"Guards, on my command! Cha—

"STOP! EVERYPONY STOP!"

The sergeant was cut off by Applejack as she skidded to a halt from behind the Sparkle's house. Dull Pauldron's and Black Creek's eyes lit up and he shouted from joy.

"Ma'am Applejack!"

All the ponies on the street, including the guards, turned around to stare at her.

Applejack filled her lungs and shouted as hard as she could.

"Ya'll have to stop fighting! You have to stop!"

The sergeant was baffled. So was the rest of his squad. The sergeant spoke.

"What the hay is going on? Guardian Applejack? Shouldn't you be at the palace with Captain Sentinel?"

"Stern's gone bonkers! He doesn't know what he's doing. But ah do, if you'll just listen to me. We found an ancient artifact, but Stern took it. It can raise the sun! This nightmare can end if you'll just believe me!"

The street became silent. Only the beaten Gathering members kept whimpering. The guards were stunned, taken completely by surprise. Their eyes darted back and forth between Applejack, whom they all recognized, and the ponies that were standing between them and their duty. The sergeant motioned them to huddle up, which they did.

"What is she talking about? Raising the sun? The Captain's gone crazy? That's nuts!."

"But she's one of Princess Twilight's guardian gang."

"Yeah yeah, Applejack. She's supposed to be the element of honesty."

"No no, she's the element of loyalty. Rainbow Dash is the honest one."

"I've seen them around the palace a bunch and it's always her who's too honest."

"I thought it was the pink one."

"No, it's Rainbow Dash, she's the best."

"Did you even read the book, Applejack is the element of honesty."

"Whatever, I guess we should at least hear her out then."

The sergeant stepped forwards from the group and confronted Applejack.

"Is this true Guardian Applejack? Do you have a way to raise the sun? And Captain Sentinel knows this, and still will not use it?"

Applejack looked him directly into his eyes.

"Yeah, Ah do, and he won't. Swear on my life."

The leader of the guard squad looked back towards Dull Pauldron. He had his orders, but in front of him was standing a pony who had more than proven herself as the savior of Equestria. Dull Pauldron stepped forwards.

"Shining vouched for her. And I trust her."

The sergeant stared at Dull Pauldron. He was distressed. Disobeying a direct order from the captain and working with the enemy would mean the end of all their careers the guard.

"Dull, am I doing the right thing?"

Dull Pauldron took off his helmet. The long golden mane flowed like water from under the helm. He threw the helmet down on the ground and stomped his giant hoof on it. All that remained was a crumpled circle of brass and a few crushed plumes.

"There's your answer, brother."

The sergeant looked at him and then at the helmet. Then he took his helmet, looked at his reflection on it, and threw it away. His gray mane stood up in a mohawk. The clanking of the metal headpiece echoed loudly on the street as it bounced off the cobblestone. His squad kept staring at it as it rolled into a pile of trash. One guard took off his helmet as well and threw it away. Then another. Before long all of the guards had started throwing down their helmets. Sergeant Iron Wrought and the bareheaded squad of guards turned towards Applejack. They saluted in unison.

Dull Pauldron walked over next to the Sergeant and tapped him on the shoulder. He seemed to be relieved he didn't have to wipe the cobblestones with his friend's face. Then, like the stench of bad cologne, Fancy Pants appeared as if out of thin air next to Applejack. Applejack jumped and let out a yelp.

"Bwaah!"

Fancy Pants dusted his frock, cleared his throat, and began an eloquent speech directed at the guards.

"Madam Applejack. Former guards. I know from personal experience that every single member of the Royal Guard takes a sacred vow to protect and serve the Princesses, even at the cost of their lives. But now the Princesses are gone, and the banner of the Royal Guard has been stained by this disgraceful attack on Canterlot. Not only that but by the execution of this irrational coup d'état, the current rogue captain has not only endangered the lives of all of us but also the lives of every single pony in Equestria. The Royal Guard, as I see it, is beyond salvation. Or is it? Hope rises from the ashes much like a phoenix, and in my opinion, ours is Miss Applejack, the last remaining personal champion of the Princesses. She is the one who will save the Princesses, so would you not agree with me, that to enact your holy vows you must now follow her? Champion, would you let them offer you the chance to redeem themselves in the eyes of Celestia, and let them serve you?"

Applejack was stunned. She had been prepared for a fight but was now suddenly put on the spot as some kind of a champion. The world had gone topsy-turvy. Street Sweeper and Silky Smooth had finally appeared, standing further away on the street corner.

"Woah Nelly! Champion? That's, Ah mean, That's—"

"Champion Applejack! We will follow you!"

Dull Pauldron shouted at the top of his massive lungs. The rest of the guards, moved to tears by Fancy Pants' speech and reinvigorated by Dull, joined the hollering, shouting her name. Even Black Creek tried to join in, but could only get a few feeble yippees to come out.

How did he do this, turning loyal guards around with just a few words, Applejack thought. This is nuts. Me, a champion? What the hay was going on? And worst of all, now she had to start giving speeches. She hated speeches. Fancy Pants lightly tapped the stupefied Applejack on the shoulder, breaking her out of her stupor, and pointed at the castle.

"Ma'am, I beg your pardon. We can leave the hows and whys of your new status for after we save Canterlot maybe? I believe we still have to fix the source of our current predicament first."

Her gaze turned towards the spires, which were visible through the gap at the end of the street between the tall buildings. Fancy Pants was right. The violence wouldn't stop unless they did something dramatic. Like kick Stern's ass and raise the sun.

The shock of her sudden promotion was replaced with determination. That's where they needed to go, and they needed all the help they could get. She addressed the guard ponies and her rag-tag group of comrades-in-arms. How she wished she had Twilight's eloquence or Rarity's shameless charisma to help her out, especially standing right next to Fancy Pants.

"Now listen up ya'll. You were given bad orders by a confused pony and you did some things we all regret. But that's alright, you can help us make it right. The captain has what we need to get the sun back up where it belongs. He ain't probably taken it nowhere, so it's bound to be back at the captain's tower in the castle. That's where we're going. He either gives it up, or we make 'im give it. Any questions?"

Black Creek raised his shaking hoof.

"Yeah, Blacks?"

"D-do I have to come too?"

"Ya know it, cowboy."

Applejack reared and kicked the air with her front legs.

"Yee-haw! Let's ride!"

Applejack, her new friends, and the now helmetless unit of former guards raced off toward the castle through the riot-stricken streets of Canterlot.