• Published 24th May 2023
  • 566 Views, 19 Comments

Empire Apple - CalmBreezes



Applejack is left alone to save Equestria from certain doom after all her friends disappear.

  • ...
3
 19
 566

Chapter 8: A New Order

Applejack watched as the sun rose from the east, beyond the mountains. The window in her room at the Sparkle's house pointed north, so she had to lean out precariously to see the first rays of pristine sunlight emerge. The feeling of sunlight on her face made the entire ordeal worth it. She could hear cheers of joy from the buildings around her. She closed the window and headed downstairs to see how the others were recovering from the party.

Downstairs she was greeted by an entire dining room full of groggy faces. The spontaneous party that had erupted after the sun rose involved a lot of cider barrels being rolled out into the streets and cracked open. The entirety of Canterlot had joined the celebration, which lasted well into the night. All Applejack could remember from those fleeting moments was the first natural twilight getting booed at by the revelers. She was very glad that she wasn't responsible for cleaning up the mess left by the riots and the party.

Applejack and her new comrades had been welcomed to Twilight's parents' house after the party. The Sparkles thankfully had enough couches and guest rooms for all participants. Some of them, mainly Street Sweeper, would not have been able to make it back to their lodgings after everything that happened. Applejack sat down in a chair at the dining table. Street Sweeper, Silky Smooth, Dull Pauldron, Chelicera and Black Creek were all already sitting at the big table, eating a hearty breakfast prepared for them by Twilight Velvet and Night Light. Applejack tried to refuse, but the pair insisted that they'd be more than happy to make them breakfast. After all, she did once again save Equestria by raising the sun.

Applejack gave in to their hospitality and dug into a traditional full Canterlot breakfast. Steaming hot oatmeal, freshly pressed carrot juice, sweet and savory carrot cake, red beans in tomato sauce, fried eggs, and a cup of coffee. A solid adventure made a pony hungry, and before she knew she was stuffed full of the Sparkles' delicious home cooking. She leaned back and took a sip of the coffee. The bitterness chased out any leftover feelings of fatigue. She was ready to face the world once again.

"So ya'll. What's next?"

The other ponies and one changeling around the table looked up from their plates. Twilight Velvet and Night Light took this as a cue to slip out silently. Black Creek had managed to dip his entire beard into his saucer of beans. Silky Smooth had barely touched hers and was instead on her third mug of coffee. Chelicera had left the oatmeal and the carrot cake alone and instead devoured a bowl of boiled eggs, her sharp tongue flickering in between the crunchy sounds of eggshells being bitten into. Fancy Pants was finishing up, elegantly patting his lips with a hoofkerchief. It took skill to eat a full Canterlot breakfast without making a mess. The two massive ponies, Dull and Street, had asked for seconds.

"I do believe it is time to get to the awkward part of any big change in leadership."

"And what's that Fancy Pants?"

"The part where we declare you the leader and decide exactly how Equestria will be governed from now on."

"Wait a bronco bucking second there. What do you mean we decide that? What about the gathering?"

"Considering the extraordinary circumstances we are operating under and the fact that most of the gathering members have already fled from Canterlot, I would be bold enough to say that the Gathering has been de facto disbanded."

"But what about all that bull something and such? Doesn't it still apply?"

"Quite frankly we are in a situation in which nothing else but what you say applies."

Fancy Pants reached under the table and threw down a pile of newspapers. The Daily Horseshoe, Canterlot Chronicle, Equestria News, Manehattan Post, and many other smaller publications. All had the same picture plastered on their front cover. It was Applejack, in black and white, standing before the rising sun with the staff held high in her hooves, surrounded by a sea of cheering ponies. Even someone like Applejack, who didn't think much of any form of art, could appreciate that it was a very good photograph.

"That's a nice picture an all, but what's it got to do with anything?"

"It means that from here on out anything you say goes." Fancy Pants smiled.

"It means you get to decide the rules, and nopony can say otherwise." Silky Smooth interjected.

"It means you're the boss, the chief, the head honcho!" Street Sweeper sounded off.

Applejack leaned back on her chair and scratched her head.

"Alright if you say so. I already agreed to taking the lead in all this. But what exactly am I supposed to do?"

Everypony at the table looked at one another, eyebrows raised. Silky Smooth looked like she was going to faint any second. Fancy Pants was the only one still smiling. He had known it all along. Applejack had always been the right choice for this job. There wasn't an ounce of lust for glory or power in her entire orange body. All of this was just a necessary evil to get her friends back to Applejack.

"Well, it is this humble advisor's opinion that we should start with the most pressing topic, which is deciding how Equestria will be governed from now on."

"Well, that's simple as apple pie. It's us until Celestia and the rest get back."

"Yes, but my dear, you must understand. We are treading upon untrodden ground. The rule of Celestia is all Equestrians have ever known. There simply is no precedence for such a shift. That is why I believe we must make an honest attempt to do due justice to such a momentous occasion."

"Oh boy, I guess that is true. Ain't no one else ever been a leader except Celestia."

"Which is why to preserve legitimacy we must try to maintain as much royal decorum as we can, but at the same time set ourselves apart." Silky Smooth added.

"Now ya'll are just making me confused on purpose."

"Leave the details to us Applejack, me and Miss Smooth had the entire night to iron out the details of your coming rule."

Applejack grit her teeth at the words 'your', 'coming' and 'rule'.

"Sounds like a barrel of fun. Keep doing... That there, whatever it is you're doing."

"Splendid. We do insist on going through it with you briefly after breakfast."

A great breakfast followed by a political game plan by the two most knowledgeable ponies in Equestria, all done with just
a bunch of napkins and a saltshaker, might have been someponies' idea of a great morning. It was not for Applejack, but she made an effort to listen, even though it all felt like dragging your rump over a field of cacti.

Silky and Fancy explained their plan to Applejack and the rest step by step. She would be officially sworn in as a pro tempore (temporary) regent (not a princess) representing the thrones of the alicorn tetrarchy (Celestia, Luna, Cadence and Twilight), with the title of 'Regent-General'. Silky and Fancy explained that as of right now the last surviving guardian of harmony, Applejack, was arguably the highest office in Equestria, both in the Equestrian military, as well as in executive administration. After Silky Smooth, as the official stand-in for the now vanished chair pony, would call for the dissolution of the gathering via a unanimous vote, of course. It was extremely convenient that all remaining members sat in this very dining room with her.

Applejack sat silently as the three ponies went through the motions with precise wording and ritual, not missing a single official beat. It was all hogwash to her. Silky Smooth banged the saltshaker and called the Gathering to convene, and asked Fancy Pants and Street Sweeper if they were present. Both replied with a hearty 'Ay!'. She then called for an 'expedited' meeting with only one topic on the agenda list, the dissolution of the gathering.

The vote lasted for a second as both stallions shouted 'Ay!'. Silky Smooth banged the saltshaker again. It had been a unanimous vote. all done according to the rule of law. The Gathering would be officially dissolved once the current meeting ended. Black Creek, who had been forcefully recruited as the scribe of the event, dutifully took down the minutes of the meeting. With a final bang of the saltshaker on the dining room table, the first and last attempt at pony democracy died. The gathering was no more.

Applejack sat stone-faced. What a bunch of horsefeathers. She had never seen a farce like that. Although every fiber of her being wanted to start kicking tables over, she remained calm. At least it was over and done with.

Except the politicking wasn't done. Next came the installation of the advising council to the regent-general.

Applejack took a deep breath as the socialite duo excitedly continued, as if they were enjoying all the bureaucracy. Applejack would be in charge, but she could freely delegate work to any one of them. The bylaws and office descriptions had already been decided last night over more than one cup of cider, but what they needed was a name. Applejack had her hoof on the heartbeat of the average pony, so they threw a few suggestions at her.

"Committee of General Security?

"Nope, too stuffy."

"State Council of the Ponies Republic of Equestria?"

"What the hay’s a republic? No."

"Grand Council of Friendship?"

"What is this, a story for foals? Too silly."

Applejack stood up from her chair and walked to the window behind them. The sun she had worked so hard to bring back was shining high above them. It was almost noon. Seeing the happy faces of ponies down on the street and fillies and colts running and playing in the sun gave Applejack a jolt. That's it. That's what made it all worthwhile.

Applejack turned around. "How about the Sunrise Council?"

The ponies around the table nodded in agreement.

"Sunrise Council. That's good. Very good." A rare smile crawled over Silky Smooth's face. "Play on the good press. Remind everypony who saved Equestria. Make it all about hope and sunshine."

"Hoo-boy, Silky. But glad ya agree. Everypony else in favor?"

No pony or changeling at the table was against the idea. The regent-general had her advising council.

"The second pressing matter is deciding the fate of the Royal Guard." Fancy Pants said.

"What's the problem? We took down Stern. He's locked up in the dungeons." Applejack replied.

"Yes, but the fact remains that the Royal Guard participated in the coup. It was treason, and the shadow of disobedience still lingers amongst the ranks."

Silky slammed the table. "Get rid of 'em! Equestria no longer has royalty. There's no need for a 'royal' guard."

"Miss Smooth, please be reasonable. We're already breaking more than enough thousand-year traditions to my liking. Getting rid of the guard would be a step too far."

"Fancy's right. It ain't that easy. Besides, we need'em for searching Twilight and the rest. But on the other hoof, there still might be some bad apples mixed in with the bunch. N' I ain't royalty. That ain't even up for debate. Even being a regent sounds a bit too monarchy for mah liking. This here's all temporary. Soon as the girls are back I'm gone faster than a double-dealing card shark from a Buckaloosa barbershop."

Applejack looked straight at Dull Pauldron and Chelicera.

"So here's what Ah think. How bout we mothball the royal part of the guard for a spell and just run it as the guard? Ya'll vet the officers and those you don't trust stay on vacation until the Princess is back. You think this Broncos got legs?"

Chelicera stomped to attention. Dull Pauldron was caught off guard and clumsily clambered on his hooves too, hitting his head on the chandelier over the dining room table on his way up.

"Consider it done, General Applejack. However, I do request that the Peculiar Company stays untouched. Our ability depends on it." Chelicera said and saluted.

"Just like Special Lieutenant Chelicera said, ma'am general. And I'm sure the rank and file don't mind a bit of spring cleaning." Dull followed up.

"Good. Dull, ya get to be the Captain of this 'new' guard. Chelicera, work with him and keep us on the level on what your funny company finds."

Chelicera bit her whipping tongue as she fought the need to correct her, but she was too much of a professional to start correcting a general. "Yes ma'am."

A hoof sprung up from behind Dull's gargantuan body. Black Creek had raised his hoof. The only thing Applejack could see was the brim of his hat.

"Ya don't hafta raise your hoof ta speak Blacks, this ain't the magic school."

"Sorry Applejack, I mean Regent-General Applejack, I mean..."

"Just Applejack is fine. So what's on your mind?"

"Umm. I do feel that now would be a good time to discuss the Sunstaff."

What little Applejack saw of the brim of his hat shifted awkwardly and nervously.

"Sure thing. Fancy, make some space for him."

"Thank you, sir. Ummm. How should I say this? I have some good news, some bad news, and some news that's not good or bad but more of a statement of neutral facts which depending on—"

"Alright, alright. Let’s hear it then, start with the good news. I reckon we all need some right about now."

"The good news is that the sunstaff is functioning perfectly. Even better than I’d hoped. It's amazing how well made it is considering it's one of Princess Celestia's earlier works."

"And the bad?"

"Well, to be perfectly honest... It will keep working this well for about a month. Then it will stop working. Because things don't work without... Power."

"WHAT!?" Applejack almost jumped on the table.

Everypony else in the room stood perfectly still, all eyes on Black Creek. He slowly shrank down until he was almost under the table. Applejack jumped out of her chair and went over to him. Put one hoof on the table and looked the cowering Black Creek in the eyes.

"No. No, no, no, no. That can't be. Yer just pulling my tail. Please tell me yer just pulling my tail."

Black Creek clambered out from under the table.

"I am not, unfortunately. Without natural magic permeating the world the staff just cannot replenish fast enough to move celestial objects every single day. It’s a miracle it has enough power to function that long."

Applejack slumped on the floor and hid her face behind her hooves.

"Oh, dear Celestia..."

"Ummm. Do you want to hear the rest? I mean, I would personally want to explain the rest, but if you prefer continuing at a later date I'm more than happ—"

Applejack shot him a look. Her expression made it crystal clear he'd be tarred and feathered and thrown to the cockatrices if he didn't get to the point immediately.

"Magic is not completely gone from the world! There's still magic stored in artifacts, and it is possible to redirect it to the staff."

The tension in her body eased and Applejack let out an exasperated sigh. "Oh thank goodness. I should kick you across the block for scaring me like that."

"Well, in that case I hate to continue, but the process is not exaclty that simple."

"Blacks..."

"Woah. Please Applejack, no need for violence. Even with all the artifacts in the school and Princess Twilight’s vault, I would still only be able to get four, maybe five months of sunrises out of the staff."

"Oh, horseapples."

"Umm- Yes. Horseapples."

Applejack dragged herself back to her seat and buried her face into her hooves. Four to five months of sunshine. That was not enough time to had to find her friends, much less save Equestria. Was saving the world always this complicated? Applejack grit her teeth and pulled herself together. No use crying about it. Even that much time was a miracle. A miracle they had made happen. Now they had to make the best of those precious months.

"If we got five months, then that's how much we've got. We'll think of something to extend it, we have to. Now, what's next? I haven't been a regent for even half an hour and already I'm starting to regret this."

"Then I'm sure you'll be happy to hear that there's only one pressing matter left on the agenda for this morning."

"Happy as a field mouse in an unguarded wheat cart. Hit me, Fancy."

"Agriculture, which is a near and dear topic to you, I assume. No pegasi means no rain. No rain means no farming. No farming means we all perish from hunger. Did I get all that, regent-general?"

"Them's the breaks. So what do we do about it? The heavy rain ordered right before Twilight and the rest vanished has kept most of the plantations and farms going, but we've got about a week 'fore we start losing crops."

Applejack stood up on the chair and smacked her hooves on the table.

"This here ain't just personal to me. This here's personal to everypony who doesn't want to starve. Almost half of all food in Equestria comes from the southern hay fields next to the badland, and another good quarter from the oat farms between Manehattan and Broncston. Even with rationing, we'll be in more trouble than a bootless lizard in a cactusfield if we can't get water to those two areas. So, 'council', whaddya got?"

Street Sweeper stood up. He had been quiet for most of the meeting. He wiped the tomato sauce off his face and gave her a cheeky smile.

"Don't rip the stitches on your hat, doll, but I took a bit of initiative on this topic, seeing as starving's the last way I want to go up to the pearly alicorn gates. I've got an old friend here in Canterlot who's helped me and my boys in Fillydelphia more than once. A real genius type, but not the most sociable if ya know what I mean. Still, he gets the job done. Freakishly punctual, so he should be arriving in... Two seconds."

There was a knock on the door.

"Never off even by a second, can you believe it? Get in here, Centrifuge. You old clockwork stallion you!"

A tall, lanky pony walked in through the open door. The light browny yellow pony, almost a shade of sandalwood, stopped in front of the newly named Sunrise Council. Two unblinking eyes stared at them from behind a pair of round eyeglasses. A shiver went down Applejack’s spine. Like looking in the eyes of a snake, she thought. Completely emotionless. The pony kept his light blue mane tied back in a ponytail. He was dressed in a white long coat lined with pockets full of little tools and instruments.

"May I present, Centrifuge! The premier of the sadly misjudged and grossly misunderstood Tinkerer’s Guild."

"Greetings."

"I was having my third personal afterparty at the salt-tavern down the street, and lo and behold! I ran into the old bolthead himself! A couple of greasy tinkerers all having a blast, spending their newly earned wealth on salt-licks and cardgames! Ha! With magic gone business is booming for the boys! Ain't no way to tell time with magic no more so watches are worth ten times their weight in bits. So I says to him I says, 'Fuge, ya wily rascal, ain't no more pegasi to bless the rains down in Equestria. We're all dogmeat if we don't find a way to move water by the boatload on land. Don'tcha got something up that white coat of yours we could use?' That's what I remember at least. Told him to pop by here at noon if he got something to show us."

"That was an accurate summary of our meeting. You did leave out the part where you slipped and fell in your own—"

"Ahhaa, details details, no need to worry about them."

"I like him already." Silky Smooth said.

"No wonder. Boy’s stiffer than you Silky, both got rebar stuck up their— Ouch!"

Street Sweeper pulled his bruised leg up from under the table. Silky Smooth's expression did not even flinch as she continued. "Pleased to meet you, Centrifuge. Did this oaf explain the details of our predicament?"

"He did not, but it was not necessary. Based on the general specifications and records of water tables and levels in the two specified areas it was trivial to design an efficient system of irrigation channels. I have the plans right here."

"Oh, how wonderful."

Centrifuge pulled the large pieces of paper from the tube he was carrying on his back and spread them on the table. The detail was astounding. Applejack knew a thing or two about irrigation and building, so she immediately recognized that the plans were legitimate. Where were these crazy ponies when she needed a new barn?

"Jumping June bugs. This is exactly what we needed. Can we use these, Centrifuge? If we start the building now we'll be finished with time to spare."

"Please do, that's what they are for."

Another miracle dropped from the sky into her lap. And she didn't even have to break into a vault and overthrow a government to get them. Ever the pragmatist, Applejack suspected there was going to be a catch to all this. With breakfast finished and the first meeting of the Sunrise Council over, the members shuffled out one by one. They all had their duties and responsibilities to execute.

Dull and Chelicera had the mammoth task of reorganizing the Royal Guard into something new. Fancy Pants and Silky Smooth left to arrange their new workspaces. They couldn't run Equestria from the Sparkle's dining room forever. Street Sweeper left with the irrigation channel plans to gather up companies and workers to start the project. Black Creek scurried off, eager to continue studying the Sunstaff. Only Applejack and Centrifuge remained. She had asked him to stay behind.

"Centrifuge, I cannot thank you enough for your help. You might have just saved Equestria single-hoofed."

"As I said, it was a trivial task."

"Either way, I do feel you deserve some kind of compensation. A medal maybe?"

"I do not require a medal. Ten bits for two hours of my time is the standard rate."

"I'll see you'll get them. But are you sure you don't want a reward of some kind?"

"To be perfectly honest with you, Regent-General Applejack, I would ask something from you."

The cold, dead snake eyes of the pony did not show a drop of emotion as he explained his wish to Applejack.

"The disappearance of magic has given the guild a new purpose and new life. We are no longer just clock fixers and toymakers. Ponies are finally seeing the true power of mechanisms. This is our chance to bring tinkering to a level never before seen. I wish for a challenge. That is my request to you, regent-general. As the premier of the Tinkerers guild, I wish for a chance to create something never before seen. Something I can call a masterpiece."

Centrifuge turned around to his belongings. He snapped the tube he had brought the plans in shut and threw it on his back. The white coat fluttered around him. He turned back to Applejack.

"Street Sweeper mentioned in passing that a war was coming. Equestria has never faced an invasion without magic. In the face of such danger, I offer my services and those of my guild to you, with your permission. If my masterpiece will be a weapon, then it will be."

Applejack did not move from her chair. It was true, they would need new ways to defend themselves. The alicorns and the magic which had protected them for thousands of years were gone. Anypony could kick hard, but against a horde like the one waiting across the ocean they would need to prepare for all out war. They needed something new, something that the centaurs would never see coming. They needed new ways to hurt others. It was an ugly truth, but a truth nonetheless.

"You have my permission, and all the support and resources you need."

Applejack offered her hoof to the emotionless pony in front of her. He took it, and they shook hooves. Equestria would never be the same again.