• Published 24th May 2023
  • 566 Views, 19 Comments

Empire Apple - CalmBreezes



Applejack is left alone to save Equestria from certain doom after all her friends disappear.

  • ...
3
 19
 566

Chapter 7: Momentum of Change

The road to the castle felt longer than it was, but Applejack marched on, determined to see the sun rise over Equestria once again. Her new entourage of guards helped make way through the masses lingering on the streets. It didn't take much for one or two of the ponies to start trailing her, with others wondering out loud what she was doing and where she was going. Fancy Pants and Silky Smooth saw an opportunity and started talking to them. The two silver-tongued demagogues were right in their element agitating the already frustrated commoners. Slipping from pony to pony they whispered about the illegitimate takeover, the guard captain's madness, and the will of the princesses. The last catchphrase seemed to be an especially popular hit.

With every step Applejack took more ponies joined her. The citizens of Canterlot opened their windows to watch her march, the crowd of ponies following her growing with every step. Soon enough hooves were stomping to make the cobblestones quake. Along with the sound of thousands of hooves, Applejack could also hear shouts of frustration, anger, and fear. The small ponies of Canterlot had had enough. Any remaining loyal guards standing in their way either threw down their helmets and joined the march or fled in terror. The masses were on the move, and Applejack led them toward the Castle.

The impromptu army of ponies finally arrived in front of the castle gateway. Applejack approached the great doors, but to her shock, they were already ajar. She wasted no time. Applejack screamed for Dull to help her as she galloped towards the gate.

"The doors! Help me open them!"

The white giant nodded and rushed to her side. Together they pried the wall-high doors open. The groans of the massive gate opening were met with cheers from the crowds behind. Ponies were chanting her name. A sense of fleeting clarity made her heart race. What was she doing? Here she was, leading a mob to storm the castle. She let go of the gate door and looked at the crowd. Silky Smooth and Fancy Pants were still running around the outer skirts of the crowd, stopping here and there, shouting and whispering something inaudible. Everywhere they went the masses started stomping their hooves harder and harder. Words were starting to emerge from the formless shouting.

'Applejack! Will of Celestia!'

'Applejack! Will of Celestia!'

'Applejack! Will of Celestia!'

Oh Sweet Celestia, what had she gotten herself into?

She dropped down on four legs and looked around. Her new compatriots gathered around her, waiting for her to tell them what to do next. Dull Pauldron's long golden mane swayed in the wind. Black Creek was hyperventilating and on the verge of passing out. Street Sweeper was chewing a long piece of hay and gave her a cheeky wink. Silky Smooth and Fancy Pants ran back from agitating the crowd. Every pony around them was now chanting 'Applejack' in perfect unison. Hooves stomped in rhythm with every 'apple' and 'jack'. The noise was overwhelming. Anypony still in the castle knew they were coming.

Silky Smooth whipped her long mane back, free from her usual tightly wound bun. Her hat had fallen off at some point during the excitement. Fancy Pants took out his notebook and wrote something down. Silky Smooth stepped over to Applejack and gave her a knowing smile.

"A beautiful sight isn't it? Ponies do love a shared cause. Now they'll have your back, no matter what happens next."

Applejack tried to ignore the unscripted rebellion she had suddenly found herself leading. She had to focus on what was important, getting the staff back. She gathered everyone up and went over the game plan.

"Now, ya'll be sure the crowd won't rush after us? We don't need a goshdarn stampede. Ponies'll get hurt."
"All taken care of, our new guard friends will do crowd control."
"Alright then, in that case, the plan's simple. We go in, kick anypony who gets in our way, and get the staff. Everyone got it? The staff's what's important."

Everyone nodded, some more enthusiastically than others. Applejack took off running inside the castle grounds, her friends following close behind her. Inside she looked around. There were no guards around the main entryway. Strange. Over on the other side of the courtyard, she saw a dozen or so guards running out of the barracks, no doubt on their way to try and stop them. Good luck boys, she thought.

Applejack pulled her lasso out of her saddlebag and held it between her teeth as she charged toward the advancing guards. They met in the middle of the green grass yard. Easy as roping calves, she thought, as she flung her lasso forwards and roped the first guard's front legs. She pulled. The legs of the poor guard snapped together and he landed snout first in the grass, skidding to an embarrassing stop. First one down, keep moving, keep them in your sights. Just like dancing with a bull. She whipped the lasso and pulled it free with a twist of her neck.

The next guard came at her intending to tackle her. He lounged at her. She jumped just a bit higher and let the guard fly straight into her loose lasso. She yanked it tight in mid-air. The rope tightened around the guard's neck, and he somersaulted as her body weight met with his neck. The guard hit the ground hard, gasping for air. Applejack twisted her body mid-flight and landed on all fours. Out of nowhere she saw a flash of light and heard a sound of a boot getting pulled out of mud coming from behind her.

A third guard she hadn't even noticed landed right in front of her, his legs bound in green slime. He struggled to get up but to no avail. Applejack looked to her right. On the other side of the courtyard, Black Creek was sitting on the grass, furiously cranking a box with a large glass tube stuck on top of it. The glass was slowly filling up with more of the green slime. Applejack waved at him. He nervously waved back and got back to cranking his apparatus.

A howl like a wild Bugbear bellowed on the other side of the courtyard. Street Sweeper had managed to grab one of the guards by her back legs and was now swinging her around like a sack of potatoes, trying to hit the other guards. All she could do was scream as he tossed her around like a farmer threshing grain. Thankfully for her he missed most of his swings.

Silky Smooth was not far behind him. She was standing on her back legs, keeping her balance with grace and poise, as she boxed her way through the guards. A jab to the throat. One guard down. An elbow to a nose. Another guard down. An uppercut to the jaw. Applejack cringed as the hit connected. The pummeled guard staggered around comically, his eyes spinning wildly in his head, before flopping down on the ground. Her ranting and cussing, with her mane a mess with a couple of strands stuck to her mouth, made even Applejack take a step back. Her usually calm demeanor had been replaced with an attitude more befitting a Manehattan street brawler.

"Any of youse shmucks want some more? Get back here ya bunch of ninnies!"

The rest of the guards fled as she kept slinging profanities and insults at them. Ahead of her Street Sweeper finally let go of the guard in his hooves and sent her flying. She crashed into the fleeing guards like a bowling ball. The final guard made a last-ditch effort at a heroic charge at Black Creek, attempting to avenge his slimed friends. His charge was interrupted by Dull Pauldron picking him from behind up by the elbows and holding him up in the air like a ragdoll. He snorted his massive nostrils at the guard's neck and asked him a question.

"You sure you're making the right call, brother?"

The dangling guard lowered his head. Dull Pauldron set him back on the ground. The guard sat down and didn't move.

Fancy Pants had stayed out of the brawl and was instead standing back at the gateway, engaging a couple of fleeing guards in a conversation about the sustainability of their current employment situation and their future endeavors. One guard was crying against his shoulder. Fancy Pants empathetically patted him on his back.

Applejack tied up the last guard who had tried to attack her. The resistance had been dealt with. Most of the guards lay on the grass, either unconscious or too embarrassed to continue. Applejack jumped over one of them and rushed towards the barracks. Black Creek, Silky Smooth, Street Sweeper, and Dull Pauldron followed close behind. They rushed through the open front doors and into the barracks.

The way up to Stern was more than familiar to Applejack. She galloped over to the tower door and prepared to buck the heavy oak door off its hinges. Once again to her surprise, the door was inexplicably ajar. What the hay is going on here? All the doors they had encountered while had been left open. Too easy, she thought, it had to be a trap.

Applejack carefully opened the door. It creaked on its hinges but otherwise opened without a fuss. Her compatriots followed close behind as she started to ascend the tower, step by step, listening hard for signs of an ambush. She heard nothing. The way up the spiral staircase was empty. Even the floor right before the captain's office was empty. Even that door had been left open. This is insane! Applejack hushed the other ponies behind her and crept over to the door. She peeked through the gap in the doorway. Inside Stern was pacing around the room, his chest wrapped in bandages. He flinched with every step. Guess Bucky and Kicks had got him good. The sunstaff was sitting on his desk, just behind him. He kept talking to himself, clearly in distress.

"It is all going to be okay. Celestia will understand. I did it to save Equestria. Those ponies, they didn't understand. There is no Equestria without the Princess. The Princess is Equestria. Got to take control, and get those saboteurs in jail. Can't let them stay out there, giving ponies ideas. Oh merciful Celestia, what evil took you from us. I'll find you, your highness. It's all going to be okay. Celestia will understand. I did it to save Equestria..."

Applejack had had enough. She bucked the unlocked door open and jumped in.

"Stern, you good-fer-nuthing backstabbing snake squeezer! Give me back the staff!"

Stern screamed and almost fell over. There was no sign of the stoic Captain she had first seen at the Gathering. It all felt like a lifetime ago.

"You! Agent of Chaos! Pawn of the Eternal Enemy! Slave of Discord! Stay away!"

Stern grabbed the Sunstaff off the desk and rushed towards the open balcony doors. Applejack dashed after him. Stern ran through and onto the balcony. He spit the staff out of his mouth and held it over the railing.

"Stay away, or you can say goodbye to your mockery of Celestia!"

"Stern! What the hay are you doing? That staff's not mocking nopony. Heck! It was Celestia's! She might have even made it! We don't know! But what we do know is that it's probably the only thing in the entire world that can bring the sun back to us!"

"No! Only Celestia can raise the sun!"

"You dummy! Twilight has raised the sun! Luna has raised the sun! How do ya think ponies raised the sun before Celestia!"

Stern was getting visibly upset. Tears were running down his cheeks. He was trembling.

"No! I'm not listening! Celestia will come back! She'll stop this nightmare. She'll make everything good again."

Stern looked at Applejack with bloodshot eyes. He tried talking through the sobs. Applejack took another cautious step forwards.

"I'm scared. I haven't slept for weeks. Everything is falling apart and I don't know what to do. Please, Celestia. Please come back. I need you."

Applejack took another cautious step forwards.

"Pardner, ya don't know how much I can sympathize, but ya have ta calm down. We can make it through this. Please, just believe me."

Stern didn't move. His eyes had glazed over. The large stallion took a few unsteady steps, and then, without warning, fell over. The staff hit the railing with a clunk as it fell over. All Applejack could do was watch in horror as the last hope of Equestria plummeted down towards the hard cobblestones far below. Time stood still.

Applejack felt a breeze go past her. From out of nowhere a guard, an earth pony, her deep blue mane flowing beautifully under her helmet, rushed at breakneck speed towards the railing and dived down towards the staff. Applejack gasped and rushed over to the balcony. She looked down to watch as the self-destructive mare dove down the highest tower in Canterlot, already too far for her lasso to reach. All Applejack could do was stare.

But then the mare started glowing, the green light reflecting off the white plaster of the tower face, and with a zap, she zipped towards the staff, grabbed it in mid-fall, and using her insectoid wings did a daring pull-up just inches from solid stone. Applejack had never seen an aerial move like that outside of a Wonderbolt show. The deep blue carapace of the changeling glimmered even in the weak glow of the twilight as she soared through the air and down back towards Applejack. She stopped in front of her, hovering just out of hoof's reach.

Applejack was left gobsmacked. Stern lying down and snoring right next to her. The rest of her mismatched gang of compatriots, who were now jammed in between the balcony doors, were all equally shocked. The deep blue changeling spoke.

"Mistress Applejack, it is a pleasure to finally be able to speak with you. I'm Chelicera."

Words were getting stuck in Applejack's throat as she tried to reply.

"Puh-puh-pleased ta meetcha."

"Likewise."

The changeling buzzed towards her, holding the ancient staff in front of her, and offering it to her. Applejack reached out and took it from her, her eyes still wide as saucer plates, unable to comprehend what had just happened. A changeling

"Thu-thanks there pardner."

"My pleasure."

Applejack looked at the changeling, and then back at her fellow rabble-rousers. They were all just as surprised, except for Dull Pauldron. Instead of being confused, puzzled, or mortified by her appearance, he instead pulled his wing up into a salute, almost knocking Black Creek's hat off. He addressed the changeling.

"Good evening, Special Lieutenant Chelicera"

"Good evening to you as well Lieutenant Pauldron."

"Wachawada— Huh?"

"Ma'am Applejack, may I introduce Special Lieutenant Chelicera from The Princess' Peculiar Company. Team Leader for the Eavesdropping Squad."

The changeling's blue face turned deep green, which Applejack assumed meant she was blushing. She rubbed the back of her neck and landed on the balcony.

"It sounds so much fancier when he says it."

"So wait, Dull, you know her?"

"I was her drill sergeant when she and the first batch of changelings arrived here, ain't that right sister?"

The changeling was not comfortable with the sudden exposure of her military career. She fidgeted under the sudden wave of attention.

"And you're some kind of spy?"

The changeling raised her head at Applejack's inquiry.

"The Peculiar Company does participate in intelligence gathering, among many other tasks, so technically the answer is yes."

"And it's you who's been following me around all this time? The shadow, the nurse, the mare at the gathering, that rooftop chase, it was all you?"

Having her attempts at subterfuge be laid out so clearly made her blush green once again.

"I seem to have misjudged your powers of observation, Mistress Applejack."

"Darn tootin'! What was all that!"

"I do not believe this is the time or place for a detailed debriefing, but I believe deep down you already know why."

Applejack looked at Chelicera, then back at Canterlot. Pillars of smoke were rising here and there, mixing with the endless red glow of the twilight to form great crimson towers. It was a living nightmare. Applejack turned back. She looked tired.

"Yup, guess ah do."

"We could not lose you too. It was not an option."

"I guess."

Fancy Pants interjected.

"Applejack, I'm sorry to disturb you, but is the staff in your hooves what we came here for?"

"Yup, this here's it. Here Blacks, see if cap'n cuckoo here did something to it."

Black Creek walked over, trying his best not to look down, and took the staff from Applejack. He gave it a quick turnover and smiled, his fear of heights completely evaporating at the sight of the legendary artifact.

"It's in perfect condition, not that it comes as a surprise, this era woodworking is marked by incredible tolerance to both physical damage and—"

Applejack grabbed it back, interrupting his extempore lecture.

"Great, so let's fire it up."

She took the staff in both hooves and turned around. She stood up and started raising the staff towards the sky. Out of nowhere Silky Smooth appeared next to her and stopped her, holding her hoof in place with hers.

"Silky, what the hay are ya doing?"

"Applejack, listen. Opportunities like this come once in a lifetime. There are thousands of ponies down there waiting for you. You need to show them it was you who fixed it, they need to see you raising the sun."

"That's crazy talk. Ain't nopony out there who cares who raises it, as long as it gets done."

"No, Silky Smooth is right."

Fancy Pants walked up to them, his face uncommonly solemn.

"Equestria needs a leader. Somepony who the ponies out there trust, somepony who they believe in, somepony who can carry the crushing weight of responsibility."

He shot a look at the unconscious captain.

"Somepony who will not crack under the terrible pressure of challenges yet to come."

Silky Smooth looked Applejack directly into her emerald eyes.

"That pony is you, and you know it."

"No, I don't, this is crazy talk!"

Applejack stood back on four legs and turned away from them.

"How many times do I have ta say it? I ain't cut out to be a leader. I ain't got a clue about anything Twilight or the rest of the princesses do. I didn't even know Celestia had a queer company on mah tail all this time."

"Uh-hum! Peculiar!"

"Whatever. Just goes to show. I ain't got what it takes. I'm useless."

Applejack started walking back inside, carrying the staff on her shoulders. It felt like a griffon had its claws around her heart. She wanted to run away. That same feeling of helplessness that she had felt on that evening on the mountaintop wormed it's way back into her head. She was useless. Why couldn't anypony else see it?

Her walk was interrupted by Black Creek. He stood in her way, in all stringy, basement-bleached glory. He was visibly shaking but continued to block her way. Applejack tried to go around him, but he didn't let her pass.

"Applejack. I've only known you a couple of days, but those last few days are more than I need to know that you are the exact opposite of useless. You're the bravest, kindest, strongest, and most loyal pony I've ever met. If anypony is going to take charge I would not want anypony else on the job. And you don't have to do it alone."

Dull Pauldron took a step forward.

"Ma'am, I agree with mister wizard here. You're exactly what we need."

Black Creek continued.

"I'm not the best magic user in Canterlot, but if you need help with anything arcane I'd love nothing more than to help you in any way I can."

"And if you need help with military matters I'm ready to advise."

Silky Smooth and Fancy Pants joined in.

"As the mayor of the largest pony city in the world, I dare say I know a thing or two about efficient administration."

"And once Miss Smooth here has scared everyone off, be it old Canterlot money or foreign dignitaries, I'd be more than happy to 'round em back up' for you."

Street Sweeper pushed Black Creek and Dull out of the way and grabbed her shoulder and squeezed it.

"And Uncle Sweeps here to make sure the trains run on time, crates get shipped, and those lazy sons of guns at the teamsters guild don't get too greedy with their coffee breaks!"

Once again Applejack was left speechless. All these ponies did want her to take charge. Something that she would not have even dreamt about in a million years. Street Sweeper let go of her. The wind howled around her, atop the tallest tower in Canterlot. She looked deep into the brilliant gemstone set in the staff she had fought so hard to first obtain and then to get back. All through the trials and tribulations she had been met with disappointment after disappointment. Ponies refusing to do their jobs, procrastinating out of selfishness, cracking under pressure, paralyzed by fear and tiny meaningless wants.

But also, with every uncovered secret she had also learned more about her friend Twilight and the Princesses, and what they had done behind everypony's back. Twilight had trusted her friends, but she had not left the security of those artifacts to fate. Neither had Celestia. She had prepared and then hidden a way for ponies to survive without her. She even had an entire company of changeling spies nopony knew about. Neither of them had left things to pure chance. So maybe it was time for Applejack to do the same thing. She could no longer leave the future of Equestria and her friends to other ponies, or worse yet, to random chance.

Applejack turned her eyes away from the gemstone. Everyone quieted down as she did. They could all see it. A flame that had not been there before, deep in her eyes. They waited in silence.

"Ah'll do it."

Those three simple words, spoken out loud, would shake the very world they lived in.

The journey down the steps of the tower and across the caste courtyard felt like a dream. Applejack met the roaring crowds with her entourage in tow. She held the staff high, and the crowds parted in front of her. She walked through, everypony following her in silent reverence.

The journey was short, and in just a few minutes the procession arrived at the public square overlooking Equestria. Applejack marched to the very edge of the forum, where a simple marble wall separated her from a drop deep into the valley below. The entire square was filled to the brim with ponies, eagerly waiting for whatever was going to happen next.

Applejack raised the staff, and with all her strength willed the sun to rise from behind the mountains. Her head emptied of all other thoughts except the wish to put an end to this cursed twilight once and for all. She held her breath and waited.

For a moment the world stood still, but then a miracle happened. Slowly but surely the western mountains began to glow brighter and brighter before a beam of pure sunlight edged from behind them and hit Canterlot with all its glory. Ponies were blinded, shadows appeared, and the sky turned from blood red into a beautiful mixture of azure blue and vibrant orange. A roar rose from the crowds, powerful enough to drown out any other sounds. Ponies were jumping and dancing out of joy, hugging and crying with their eyes still sore to the long-gone sunlight.

Dull had picked Black Creek up and was swinging the poor wizard around, while Street Sweeper whistled and cheered. Fancy Pants stomped his feet and shouted 'Marvelous!'. Even Silky Smooth had an uncharacteristic smile on her face as she bathed in the sunlight. Applejack let go of the staff, which remained suspended upright in the air. According to Black Creek, it would come down once the sun had enough momentum to move on its own. In the back of her mind, she did ponder if raising the sun from the west had been the best choice, but she filed that under first-timer mistakes. Doubt even Celestia had got it right her first time.

Applejack turned her back to the rising sun and looked at the city square filled with celebrating ponies. Guards without helmets danced and jumped around with ponies who just a few hours ago had thrown rotten tomatoes at them. If she listened closely she could have sworn she heard the wind carry shouts of joy from other towns and cities across Equestria. She had done it. She had solved one threat to Equestria, but more remained. Challenges that couldn't be solved with just a single magic staff. Challenges she was going to have to meet head first if she ever wanted to see her friends again. But at least she wasn't alone anymore.