• Published 25th Sep 2012
  • 1,046 Views, 13 Comments

Dash jets on: RotE Episode 2 - Dream Volt



Dash is suddenly faster. How is that a problem?

  • ...
5
 13
 1,046

Education

"I totally shouldn't have brought this up."

I then groaned. Twilight shook her head, and finished writing whatever it was she was writing. She then walked over to me and the pile of books I had collected from the library. Twilight added a bunch of books, didn't she? I'm a little surprised there were as many cool books as there were though. I figured it would all be magic junk and boring stuff. Though I guess most ponies would consider the book on top of my pile boring.

"Now Dash I…" Twilight suddenly stopped. "Is that the latest volume of collected issues of Mathmatica Equestria?

"Well yea. I mean I probably don't really have to but mom made me get a degree to fall back on so I better be sure I can."

"Are you saying so have some sort of degree in math?"

"Duh. I mean come on, sure the explanations for some stuff is way too long but you just plug the numbers in the formula and bang you're done."

"It's not that simple, there is also real world application and…"

"Yea, yea. I know Twi. That's not much harder. Seriously getting my doctorate wasn't that hard, but I do know all the…"

"What?"

I blinked. I thought Twilight was going to do her fire thing again, that was always fun, but she didn't. I scratched my head.

"Okay, what's the big deal?"

"Dash, I don't have my doctorate yet. It makes no sense. You're not that much older than me and I know you're a worse student."

"Once again, duh. But this is Cloudsdale we're talking about. I already told you about my memory, so it was easy to just speed though the classes."

"Memory?"

"Oh, I skipped that too didn't I? Unlike the reading thing, which I'd rather you not mention to anypony else by the way, I have a memory thing."

"Define thing?"

"It's easier to just show you. Well, at least more fun. Go pick any book in here, just make sure it isn't too boring." I then laughed. "Or about flying somehow, that wouldn’t really prove anything would it?"

Twilight wandered around a bit, clearly still confused. She came back with that book with the Dragonslayer stories that had no title, just that weird symbol impressed on the first page. I bet the symbol was on the cover too, but it had been burned nearly completely away. I was still not sure that was coincidence.

"Okay, now what?"

"Open it, pick a page and a paragraph."

Twilight used her magic to open the book and flip though it. "Page ten, paragraph 3. Dash what exactly…"

"Yet the beast was not slain. It gave a mighty flap of its wings and was instantly upright, standing on three legs. Then it took a deep breath and…"

"Omigosh dash, you have a Eidetic memory?"

"Uh, yea, that sounds about right. I prefer calling it awesome memory."

Twilight sighed. "Of course you do."

"I'll give you a moment to soak in a new level of awesome that is Dash. Don't worry, you aren't the first."

Twilight rolled her eyes and I smiled. Sometimes my ego really did get out of control, but most of the time I'm really just messing with AJ, and ever since she showed up, Twilight. Though I always have trouble of thinking of the many examples of just messing with them for some reason. I guess I do have to be paying some attention to remember anything, so that must be it.

"Dash, that still doesn't make sense. It takes time to…" Twilight blinked. "Wait, the Cloudsdale education system is different somehow, isn't it?"

I nodded. "Yea. It's about freedom. Unicorns are, well, uh…" I then decided to just say it. "Kinda uptight and stuff, all about rules."

"That's not entirely true, but I understand what you mean. But Dash could you really not think of a better way to put that?"

I shook my head. "Not really. The point is pegasi love freedom, so it's in our schools too. If you can prove you know what you need to, you get credit."

"Even with foals?"

"Yea, though you don't get as many chances to prove it, and they'll just skip you grades and stuff until you're done. So yea, passing a bunch of tests that just require you to memorize a bunch of junk is easy."

"That isn't all there is to it, I'm quite sure. Interpretation and…"

"I guess, but that's like nothing too, so who cares. The point is I'm awesome, and it was easy and fast. Math is something I can use in figuring out tricks, and it turns out I really like it, so I went all the way."

Twilight then went silent, not really focusing on anything for a while. Then she focused back on me and gently smiled. I blinked

"Huh?"

"Just realizing there is more to you than there appears Dash. In fact, I can't help but think there are things about all my friends that I don't know."

"Some stuff should stay hidden Twi."

"Maybe, but this has been a joy. You know, I'm jealous. I would love for your ability. So you really know every single word from every book in this library on flying, don't you? Plus a great deal of fiction."

"Yea. Even this really dull flying manual. It took me forever to get through it, but it did have one or two useful bits so it was worth it."

Twilight smiled again. "So, do you want my guess what that time stop ability was?"

"Uh, oh, I guess. Though it sounds like you don't know."

"It's a very odd state, and one I've never heard of before, but there are some qualities which are very clear. It's a spell."

"Wait, you mean like as in unicorns casting magic spells kind of spell?"

"Yes and no. As in, in terms of the word spell and what it means, but in no other way is it like unicorn magic. It's pegasai magic through and through, and while I don't know what that could mean I'm excited to find out."

I nodded. She was hopping up and down in an almost Pinkie like manner. Pinkie would hop higher and Twi was clearly restraining herself a little, something Pinkie never did, but otherwise it was very similar. I smiled.

"Yea, I can tell."

"Heh heh. Sorry."

"No worries. I'm not Rarity. I don't really care about all that proper behavior stuff. Are you sure about this?"

"Yes. While it was triggered and canceled via great speed I doubt that's needed."

I started and smiled really wide. "Wait, so I can just do it whenever?"

"With practice I believe so."

"And you can help me. Awesome."

"Well, no. I doubt that greatly. I'm not sure but I think I've discovered the casting methods of pegasai and earth ponies."

"Yea, it's all in the wings, you told me already."

"I suppose I did. Luna once she's available might be able to help."

"I still don't get this focus thing really. I mean it's not like my wings light up or anything, do they?"

"Hmmm." Twilight put a hoof to her chin. "They might actually." Then she put her hoof down and shook her head. "But that's missing the point."

"So a focus is the thing you channel magic through when you just think really hard to make it happen."

"It's far more complicated than that. The particulars aren't worth repeating for several reasons, but the idea might not be."

"Whu?"

"The hardest part of a spell is often learning it. But once you know it casting is usually a simple matter of remembering the, for lack of a better term pattern."

"You mean like with glowy lights and stuff. I'm pretty sure unicorns and pegasai don't see the world the same way so…"

Twilgiht shook her head. "That is true to a point, but while it is easier for us to read auras, it is far from automatic. It also is not strictly necessary for a spell. You simply know what to do once you're learned it."

"By instinct?"

Twilight nodded. "That's at least roughly right. But most important for you to know is I don't think study and focus can help you with anything you can cast."

"Good."

"I think pegasi magic is more a function of emotion but I have no conclusive evidence that…"

I let out a whoop. I had it. I understood why the rainboom was sometimes just a mini boom, why I suddenly did something so awesome for the first time right when I needed it, and how I bet I can do more awesome stuff too.

"Dash, what is it?"

"You are totally right Twi. I know you are. All of it, everything, it just fits. I also did all of it while flying. While flying. Which is for sure moving my wings."

I then did a little loop de loop and flew gently around the library. Twilight first looked at some book for some reason, then back at me.

"You didn't move the book."

"Duh, I wasn't near it."

"I mean you didn't disturb the air enough to turn a page. That is very interesting."

I stopped circling. "Wait, does this mean I can float stuff."

"No Dash you…" Twi blinked "Actually, that may be possible, pegasai are tied to the air, though most likely it would be more difficult."

"Uh, why?"

"How much advanced magic theory are you willing to listen to?"

"I'm guessing not much. So that's a maybe?"

"Yes, though it normally doesn't matter the cutie mark limit may come into play. I can't say for sure though. I mean there is some magic common to all unicorns, but I imagine that pegasai have a completely different set."

"Though obviously working with weather, walking on clouds, and flying are part of that."

"Or all of it. It's hard to say. There really is very little research so…"

"You don't know, I get it. So earth ponies are sorta the same way?"

"Yes, I think their universal talents are for strength and endurance, and maybe something involving plants, but earth pony magic is terribly subtle."

"So about this cutie mark limit thing. What does it mean exactly?"

"Well, I'm a bad example but…" Twilight then smiled "Rarity. Yes, I'm trying to teach her all sorts of spells, but her special talent is fashion so I don't really know all that many spells that directly relate."

I laughed. "I'm surprised you know any."

"Well she had an easy time with a spell that repaired tears in fabric, and a polishing spell, and the beard and mustache spell."

"Cause they're fashionable?"

"I guess. The limits of what spells a pony can learn easily relating to their talent is unclear, and it doesn't make other spells impossible, just exceedingly difficult."

"So I got a spell involving speed. I get it. So if I get anything else, it will be similarly awesome. So cool."

"I'm just guessing. Still, it seems likely."

Then a horrible thought suddenly struck me and my wings sized up, and I fell to the ground. I'd seen Fluttershy stall out plenty of times but I don't think I had ever done it before. Still, I didn't feel remotely bad about it considering the frightening thought that just entered my head.

"This means Pinkie might get more magic too, doesn't it."

Twi cringed "Yes, and even worse I know virtually nothing about mer-mares so her magic could be literally anything."

Then I blinked and laughed. "No it can't." I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding. "It will all be party stuff. I mean she can already pull party poppers form nowhere so…"

We both looked at each, probably thinking the same thing. Some strange magic would explain so much. Twilight then shook her head and sighed.

"Unfortunately it is likely the mystery that is Pinkie Pie isn't that simple. Still, it's an interesting thought."

"Though also terrifying."

"In way. I thought that you were good friends now."

"We are but, well…"

Twilight smiled slightly and nodded. I then looked at the pile of books I had collected and realized something.

"I totally need a cart, don't I?"

"It would appear so. Do you really plan to read them all now?"

"I guess not. I usually only read at night to fall asleep. I'll be right back with my saddlebags and grab just a few of them."

I then was out the door, and flying though the sky. Yea, Pinkie with power is scary, but even that will be interesting. To think I used to think Ponyville could be boring sometimes. Twilight really seemed to have livened up this place somehow.