• Published 25th Sep 2012
  • 1,046 Views, 13 Comments

Dash jets on: RotE Episode 2 - Dream Volt



Dash is suddenly faster. How is that a problem?

  • ...
5
 13
 1,046

Faster

It was an awesome day. The sun was shining, there were little bits of white cloud everywhere, but never enough to ruin anypony's day, especially mine. I wasn't entirely clear on why some days you had to leave a few of the white puffy little things around, but that wasn't my job. Also it was more places to nap and more clouds to practice with. After that crash yesterday I decided to just stick to speed training today. Nothing hurt that much, but another bad crash like that could change that. Besides with a day this great long distance flying was the thing to do.

Except something was wrong. I still couldn't figure it out, but something didn't feel right. I may not have been the most diligent student when it came to some stuff, but if it was flying I paid attention. So I remembered all the safety junk even if at the time it was so boring. I took breaks, went over the checklist, and got nothing. Something just felt wrong, but not in a way that should result in my falling out of the sky.

"Okay, so how about the sense checklist, yea, that's an idea."

I didn't usually talk to myself, but when I was flying so fast no one else could hear me it became a bad habit. Taste and smell matter less and less the faster you go, and whatever feels off seems to only happen once I'm going fast enough, so I'm sure it's not either of those. Man it's annoying to have to think this though. I should just be flying though the air enjoying the feel of it zipping over my wings.

"Yea, it's not sight, I'm only half paying attention, and high enough up unless I veer off course into Canterlot I'm not going to hit nothing."

Which left the two most important. Feel and sound. Except the wind sounded normal and windy and, the air going over my body felt normal too. I felt a little achy, but I've felt way worse, and it wasn't really bothering me. So what the heck was it? It could be some magic thing, but I wouldn’t know how to check that. Maybe some combo of senses? Then I spun upside down briefly to let out a little frustration.

"What would that even mean? My ears telling me something's blue?"

Then suddenly something came to mind. It wasn't trying to figure out something with both, but that something between two senses didn't match. Again, smell and taste probably couldn't matter, so I focused on the other three, really looking at the sky as it sped past. I also flipped right side up, my momentum only carrying me so far before I started losing altitude. I began to climb, watching the clouds go past, the wind in my ears. Then suddenly I had it.

"I'm going too fast, or the wind too slow."

I was tempted to stop, but forced myself to keep going. I mean I didn't notice it when going slow so that would have just been silly. Fluttershy would have stopped to think about it I'm sure, but she wouldn't have been going this fast either. Now that I knew what was wrong it was obvious. The wind didn't feel right either. It felt like I was going fast, but how fast the land below me went past it should be howling and cutting into my fur. This was almost mild.

"Lets see what happens if I really push it."

Then I tried to speed up a little, leveled off and got ready to dive. Then I heard a sonic boom. I did stop this time. That freaked me out even more because I came to a complete stop way too fast. I turned around to see the mini rainboom behind me. It was a fairly thin rainbow ring that spread out into a vertical ring. Twilight said the full rainboom had some magical component that didn't seem possible to recreate on command, and mostly if I broke the sound barrier I'd just get the little mini rainbooms. Not bad, but not half as cool. No, more like only 43% as cool. But I just did one without a dive then I stopped close enough to it I could clearly see the ring without flying back.

"Oh hay, that makes no sense."

I then looked around. Canterlot wasn't far away. I shouldn’t have gotten anywhere near it for at least another 5 minutes, and probably more like 10. Yet it was totally right there. I should just be happy that I seemed to somehow be even faster, but I've read like every flight book there is, and none of them mention anything like this. Not too long ago there is only one pony I would go to if I needed some bookworm type help, but Luna not only knew a lot, but she was an awesome flier too.

"Oh dang, she's probably still off in Atollantis talking to the water ponies."

There was some other term, and of course for half of them mermare was just fine, but water pony was good enough, even if Twilight disagreed. Twilight has been digging up a bunch of books trying to teach Pinkie about her water pony heritage, but I think she's actually less interested in it than I am. Of course knowing Pinkie she might know it all already, and just didn't think to tell Twilight that. I then shook my head.

"Time to focus Dash. Back to Ponyville and at least the second smartest pony you know."

Unless I counted Celestia. It was odd though. It seemed like she wanted to be our friend, but just decided she wouldn’t be. Maybe it's a princess thing. Except Luna isn't like that. In fact the more I talk to her the more I like her. Also the more I hear the more it sounds like Celestia was disloyal first. Though they also have that sisterly love and hate thing going so I'm not sure I can trust either of them to be objective. Which is lame cause I don't think there is anyone else to say for sure. I then smiled and poured on the speed. I might as well have some fun even if I don't understand what's going on.