• Published 5th Feb 2023
  • 369 Views, 69 Comments

Adventures in the TARDIS - Scroll



An extention of the adventures of Feather Wind, Stern Wing, and Vision's journey with eccentric Time Lord the Doctor and his adorable assistant, Derpy Hooves.

  • ...
1
 69
 369

PreviousChapters Next
Part 7 Destiny Comes Knocking

Loss.

Now that is a word and sensation the Doctor has become all too familiar with. After nearly a thousand years of life, it has become more like a thousand years of experience with death.

He also finds the word “hero” to be overhyped and sensationalized too. Most people imagine a townwide celebration where the “hero” marches down the streets as a rain of confetti pours down on him and/or her. They imagine statues being erected to help immortalize the people's saviors. All of these things do exist, but often not entirely for the reasons anyone would imagine when they picture themselves as a hero. Parades and statues are more for the people who chose to join the celebration. If they saw themselves as victims of something that needed a hero to recover from, then they are still recovering from that grief. They are trying to recover their sense of hope. To regain their will to live on and to believe that the future has a chance for happiness as long as the symbol of their savior is still around.

But a true hero does these deeds because such an individual knows it is right. Just do the deed and back off. Let the people decide for themselves however they choose to respond to it.

Being the one who takes the risk and faces the danger does not guarantee victory. Instead, it can end up more like the Doctor's last mission.

The Doctor cannot blame himself for the attempt to do good, but it is harder to forgive himself for his failure because it is others who ultimately paid the price. That, and he can conceive of several options that would have improved things in hindsight.

But the Ood accepted their deaths in a manner that the Doctor finds gravely unsettling. It also reminds him of the time they warned his last life that “his song is dying out”.

Yeah. The Ood warned his last life that he was dying soon, and for some reason, he believed that race back then. Maybe it was because he sensed the end coming as well. He has seen the signs from other places too, and it felt like punishment incoming for trying to defy a fixed timeline. His race had always warned against that, but then he survived the Time War (in the human universe anyway) when the rest of his race did not. It made him think there was a chance to successfully defy any reality. That he can do whatever he wanted because he is Time Lord Victorious.

What a joke, and he was the punchline.

For the longest time after the Time War, the Doctor truly believed he was the last of the Time Lords. In a way, it was true because the other survivor was hidden even from himself.

But that's the thing. The Master survived too. Against all odds, both the “hero” and the coward found a way to survive and endure the impossible. When the Doctor first made that shocking discovery, he once thought to himself, “Okay. Now we're up to two, but that's it. It's just us now. We're the only ones left . . . right?”

There is something oddly epic about that. The one Time Lord who was the Doctor's primary nemesis turns out to be the only one to survive other than himself. It feels like fate. It feels like he's a fictional character written to have a set destiny by those who might find their lives entertaining, and yet again he finds himself potentially the last of the Time Lords with one other very notable exception. Not only is the Master (or Missy as this case may be) the other exception, but it is the exact same individual from the human universe. This isn't a dimensional copy of him/her, it is him/her. What are the odds of that? Not even C-3PO is likely to be able to calculate that.

The future version of Vision also warned the Doctor that there is still more going on with this story then he is currently aware of. The last words the Doctor remembered saying in his previous life was, “I don't want to go” and then his consciousness got washed away by an overwhelming stream of energy. The next thing he knew, he was recovering in the TARDIS and was about to discover a very intense surprise. Not only did he regenerate away from a humanoid form this time, but he came to discover that quadrupeds have basically replaced all humanoids in this universe as the primary default. Vision said, though, that there is more that the Doctor is not remembering. Something else happened between these two moments. Something important that explains all that is currently happening.

If it is a deliberately self-sealed memory, usually the Doctor feels content to just let the memory slide and let it be because he's aware that he wouldn't seal his own memories without a good reason, and it is usually set to unlock itself at “the right moment”.

However, in this case, there is a lot that relies upon that one critical bit of information. Something that may help to understand his fundamental purpose in this universe and why everything had to go through these incredibly drastic changes. For once, he can't help but be curious and concerned about that. He feels compelled to scratch at the likely wooden walls brought up in his own mind which seals very important treasure on the other side. He keeps on telling himself, “If only I knew.”

The Pony Universe is a pleasant surprise for him, but it clearly still needs a hero at times. It seems like all of his greatest enemies followed him here in one form or another, and they are chipping away at the cracks between all this friendship and harmony. If they are ignored for too long, they'll find their way to the heart of all of this peace and love. Once there, they'll either destroy it or corrupt it. He already vowed not to allow that to happen and he fully meant it.

The cycles of his various lives feel a lot like many other mortal lives. He has the majority of his memories through each one and his most solemn promises firmly etched in his hearts, but there are enough changes between each life that strongly reminds him of a mortal life. A period of “newness” at the beginning of each one that almost feels like he's exploring the universe with fresh new eyes, and in a way, that's true. New eyes, new ears, new taste buds, new subconscious body language, new inflections to his speech. There tends to be a period of confusion for him as he tries to explore not only the external universe but himself as well and what he has become. It takes a while for each life to get settled. To find their own style and their own special “song”, as the Ood had so eloquently put it.

But where there is a beginning, there is an end. His last life mourned that loss especially strongly. He didn't want to go. There was so much more he could have experienced.

Which returns his mind to loss. Each time one of his lives died, it did feel like something precious is lost. It always seemed like a step closer to true permanent death as well. Each Time Lord can regenerate only a limited number of times, and his lives held desperately onto something precious because he seemed to be the last for the longest time. Once that fire dies out, the Doctor will be no more and the rest of the universe will have to endure that loss too. The next time it needs a hero as epic as he, will the universe suffer tragedy instead when he's no longer around to protect it?

But that's the point behind the idea of forming the Knights of the Hourglass. Not only is it recruitment to help him recover from the most devastating wars he's ever endured, but he also wants to leave a legacy behind just in case there comes a point where the Doctor can no longer be around to defend the universe anymore. In hindsight, he's been way too lax about that most critical of duties. If he is to have any chance to truly take that final rest in peace someday, he needs to know he's leaving behind champions to take his place. The need for such things has been proven too often. That really should not have been ignored.

In a way, he has already done that. The Doctor was blessed with many companions over the centuries, and each one left a legacy of their own. Even if they died for whatever reason, those they saved endured. That heroic example inspired others too. In time, some of them collected together in one way or another. The formation of the Knights of the Hourglass is simply a more organized example of what he's been doing for centuries.

The Ood have a much more mature perspective when it comes to life and death. To them, it is an aria that rhythmically cycles. Birth leads to life which leads to death and then rebirth. On and on it goes. The Ood value the necessary changes that are evoked in each cycle, much like the Doctor's own regeneration. Not everything changes. With the birth of every child, some legacy of their birth parents endures. That genetic code is passed on to the next generation and a new story is born much akin to the birth of a new star.

Life is brilliant!

In the end, the Doctor knows that is all everyone is. Since they are just a story, the best outcome one can hope for is to make it a good one.

The Doctor tightly winces and flinches in sharp annoyance for a second when there is a knock on the front door to the TARDIS. He turns his head which is otherwise resting against the rail of the steps leading up to the TARDIS center consoles. Annoyance quickly gives way to curiosity. Whatever this is, it might be important. Right now it feels so hard for him to get up and interrupt his train of thought. Doctor Kelly Saddler believed they all needed this vacation to take their minds off the recent tragedy they suffered, and right now it really feels like she's right.

But fate is knocking on his door once again. All he can really do is groan and then get up despite himself.

Instead of answering the door first, though, he goes to the TARDIS controls instead. From there, he spins a monitor about and activates it. Within that screen, he views those just outside this door. In doing so, he notices most of the ponies outside are familiar save one. Vision is missing from this group too. It's almost as if this stranger has replaced the young white filly.

The Doctor lifts an eyebrow at this sight in fascination then passes that same expression to the front door. After that, he regards the center console again, presses a button, then looks back at the front door as it opens because of the button he pressed a moment ago.

“I'm surprised to see you all back so soon,” the Doctor remarks as he trots his way to his companions and new guest. “I'm especially surprised to see you all back here without Vision and with a new mare in her place.”

“I have my parents looking after Vision,” Derpy explains as she trots into the TARDIS. She is also the first to do so among the bunch. “They adore her and I can tell they have lots of questions hiding in their eyes. Fortunately for me, they've been very patient with me.”

“Vision is downstairs along with the rest of the party,” Stern Wing adds as she enters the TARDIS.

“Party?” the Doctor echoes questioningly.

“Yeah. We had a close encounter of the Pinkie variety,” Feather explains while he enters the TARDIS. “And one thing led to another. I'm pretty sure you're well familiar with this particular pattern.”

“And it is taking place downstairs in this Clock Tower as we speak?” the Doctor double checks then pauses for a moment to listen. After two seconds, he nods. “I see. It seems like that is

“A decent amount of Ponyville is down there,” Derpy informs. “I think it's great. It gives all of you a chance to mingle and get to know them. Ponyville is not just a place. It is where the town's most important treasure lies, its ponies. I think this is a valuable opportunity to prove to you all that I spoke the truth about them all along. So, not only do you have my word that they are friendly, but some of you have experience, now, to back up my claim.”

Feather Wind glances at the new mysterious mare who lingers outside for a moment before turning to regard the Doctor as he says, “Well, anyway, we have a new guest among us who claims to know you. I am curious if you know her in return. So far she's only introduced herself as an ally of the Time Walkers.”

“For him, I'll take my introductions a few steps further,” the newcomer says as she steps into the TARDIS. When she does, Doctor Kelly follows shortly after. “Greetings, Doctor,” the mare says with a polite nod to the Time Lord. “My name is A.K. Yearling. I am the author of a famous adventure novel series sold here mostly in middle and northern Equestria. However, what most ponies don't know is . . .” Miss Yearling trails off for a moment as she dramatically rips off her cloak. This finally reveals what has been hidden beneath. In this case she is wearing a green-colored vest shirt with a darker green trim as well as a pocket at the chest. She is also wearing a pair of saddlebags where she stuffs the cloak she took off as well as her glasses. In its place, she pulls out a very worn-looking egg-white safari hat with a green and brown stripe and a bunch of arrow holes off to one side. This she slaps on her head then slides a hoof on the edge of the hat with dramatic style. Her cutie mark is also visible for the first time which looks like a compass with a background of a green circle and a lighter shade of green between each of the golden foreground compass points.

“. . . I am secretly also the story's main character,” Yearling explains with a daring grin. “You can call me Daring Do if you like.”

Derpy gasps in shock which causes Feather Wind to silently take note of.

“I take it you read some or all of my stories?” Daring asks Derpy curiously since it seems the gray pegasus seems to recognize the daring adventurer. “Or heard of them at least?”

“The latter,” Derpy replies when she calms back down. “I can't read very well because of . . . Well . . . You know.” Derpy suddenly blushes in shame and embarrassment because of her moderately obvious visual handicaps.

“I see,” Daring replies simply and tactfully decides to leave that issue at that. Instead of that, Daring turns her reddish/purple eyes at the Doctor as she gives him a shrewd look. “Based on the way you are regarding me, I can tell that this is our first meeting for you. However, my prior experience with you has taught me a lot of things about you. For instance, I know that, for every second that I stand here, you are already gathering a tremendous amount of information about me.” Daring smiles and even blushes at the Doctor which not only demonstrates recognition and admiration but also reveals a bit of a crush for him.

The Doctor is quite accustomed to seeing an expression like that aimed at him. She's also right about the fact he is gathering information about her quickly despite this being their first meeting for him. For instance, from the fond look she passes him which also has a slight twinkle in her eyes, he can tell that she has met him before, but for her, it was a long time ago. Furthermore, while he can tell she is every inch the professional adventurer that she claims to be now, that wasn't always true. There was a time when she was much younger and far more vulnerable. A time when she needed a hero far more desperately than she does now. When she got rescued during that time of need, deep affection for him grew in her heart which is too strong to entirely hide now. More than likely she also looks up to him as a pony that she idolizes. All of her years of hardcore and heroic adventuring might have been inspired by him at one time.

Interestingly enough, she doesn't appear to recognize his other companions nearly as much.

The more he stands there and observes her, the more his next course of action becomes clear to him.

“Indeed,” the Doctor agrees with her. “It is a pleasure to meet you again for the first time. This time you have the advantage.”

“That is a gap that is quickly closing, I'm sure,” Daring figures as starts to regain her composure.

“And you said you are an ally of the Time Walkers?” the Doctor asks seriously.

Daring grows more serious as well then nods at the Doctor as she says, “Yes. I have worked with them numerous times in the past in secret. It's not just you that I met before.” Daring takes a deep breath, holds it, then lets it out before adding, “In fact, on their behalf, I have a message for you.”

Daring Do turns her head and dives into the saddlebag on her left side. Using her face and mouth, she sifts through her stuff for a moment before fishing out a letter with her mouth. With her new prize, she turns to face the Doctor again then nods at him as a signal that this letter is for him.

“Huh. Usually it's my job to deliver letters around here,” Derpy announces with a silly and lopsided grin as she continues to regard Daring with shining walleyes. She ends up hanging the tip of her tongue out of her mouth after that sentence. Most likely that is not intentional.

“Is that so?” Daring replies with a small bit of interest at Derpy after the Doctor took the letter from her mouth. “Then I thank you for your service. I rely on it myself a lot here in Equestria.”

Still feeling uncertain how blasted ponies grab things with a hoof, the Doctor takes the letter from Daring's mouth using his own mouth and then places it on the floor. When he applies a hoof on top of the letter, he notices a slight bump within it. Keeping his hold on the letter with a very gently applied hoof, he tears off the top of the letter with his teeth. He then tries to fish out the small object out of the letter by attempting to squeeze it out. He succeeds slightly but relents when he realizes he might be damaging it. He then lifts his head and scratches it with a hoof to his mane as he gives the letter on the ground a puzzled and frustrated look.

Feather Wind rolls his eyes and then uses his magic to float the letter off the ground. He also floats the object inside of the letter out of it. Once he does, he gives the object a puzzled expression. The object in question is a tiny black thing with a silver thing sticking out one end of it. It is an inch and a half tall and only a few centimeters thick. Feather can't identify the material of the main body of this object, but the tip appears to be made of some kind of metal.

“What is this?” Feather asks the Doctor curiously.

“It appears to be a flash drive,” the Doctor observes aloud. “For reference, it is an object that stores information on it digitally.” He looks at Doctor Kelly. “Perhaps it is more familiar to you? Something tells me it might be made of a different material than it is in the human universe.”

Doctor Kelly nods as she says, “I can give it a scan and see what I come up with.” She then looks at Feather Wind. He nods at her. She then grabs hold of the object telekinetically and then secretly has her quasi-invisible drone scan the levitating object.

“You said you also had a mission to propose to the Doctor?” Stern Wing reminds Daring. “Or at least you implied it. You said lives are on the line.”

“Right.” Daring nods at Stern then regards the Doctor again. “I can't give you all the details yet, but I need your help and the capabilities of this vessel. There is a plague spreading in this world during this time and the cure for it is now extinct. However, since you have a time machine on your hooves . . .” She trails off now that her message is strongly implied.

“Right, but do you know when to go?” the Doctor checks with Daring.

“I have a pretty good idea where we can start,” Daring replies then steps up and whispers something into the Doctor's ears. The Doctor responds by nodding.

“I also couldn't help but notice your lack of regard for the internal dimensional expansion of my vessel,” the Doctor remarks with a minor frown.

“Next time, Doctor,” Daring replies with a fond look at him. “For you, that is.”

“Understood,” the Doctor says with a nod as he trots his way to the TARDIS controls. “Right. In that case, if you're all ready, Onwards and Upwards, my friends. We set off into another adventure, and this time we're bringing another professional adventurer with us.”

“We're going to leave Vision here?” Derpy checks with minor concern.

“She'll be fine here,” the Doctor replies without looking back at Derpy. Instead, he continues his way to the TARDIS controls. “I trust the citizens of Ponyville and your parents to keep her safe. Besides, to them, I'll make sure we're not gone long.”

“Oh. Okay,” Derpy replies with a bit of a frown as she looks out the exit of the TARDIS doors. An exit that closes itself when the Doctor presses a button on the TARDIS controls.

Shortly later, the vessel groans to life.


Downstairs, amid the party all around her, Vision's ears perk up when her keen hearing detects some of the sounds of the TARDIS taking off. She then directs her face up in the direction she hears the noise. She has a brief frown for a second, but it is soon washed away with calm acceptance.

Vision turns her attention back to the other ponies doting around her.

Author's Note:

For the moment, this is the last arc I managed to finish before my inspiration waned after I received a letter from Section 8 saying I've been cleared to proceed to advance the process towards finding a new home. I had mixed feelings about that back then which was the end of March of 2023. On the one hand I could get cheaper rent then the place I was living at and it wouldn't require anyone else to be alive for me to keep these benefits other than remaining alive myself, but it also meant moving away from a place I've grown accustomed to living at for 20 years. That is the longest time I've ever lived in one place by far. I'm now currently living at the new place, but once a story grows this cold for this long, it is hard to pick it back up again.

In any case, thank you all for following this story so far. I sincerely hope you gathered some value from this experience.

I've completed a total of 10 chapters of the next arc so far. I'm not certain if I'll ever finish it. If you're okay with resuming into an incomplete story, then I invite you to proceed. In doing so, you may at least get some idea where I was going with this.

I will say, though, that although it is a direct follow-up to this chapter, it doesn't feel like it and the format of the presentation of the story drastically changes as well. I've even debated whether it should be it's own separate story, but I ultimately decided I'll just let it continue with this one. That way I won't have to try to get someone else to draw for me new concept art for it.

PreviousChapters Next