• Published 5th Feb 2023
  • 368 Views, 69 Comments

Adventures in the TARDIS - Scroll



An extention of the adventures of Feather Wind, Stern Wing, and Vision's journey with eccentric Time Lord the Doctor and his adorable assistant, Derpy Hooves.

  • ...
1
 69
 368

PreviousChapters Next
TARDIS Intermission: Trot In Encounters

Feather Wind trots into a room in the TARDIS that is new to him. A quick assessment of it reveals to him why his foalhood friend, Stern Wing, would be so interested in this room. It is filled with none other than a bunch of exercise equipment. This basically means that this is a gym.

Feather Wind sits down as he quietly observes his foalhood friend doing bench-presses with her forehooves while simultaneously lifting heavy weights that is tied to her wings. The barbell she is pushing up and down, which is tied to and secured to her forehooves, does not look all that impressive at first. They look like small iron balls attached to the ends of an iron bar but the balls have glowing numbers off to the sides of them. Feather has been told before that the device can make themselves heavier or lighter depending on what its settings is.

What Stern is doing here would normally be considered very dangerous without a spotter, but there is a safety feature with this equipment where it can shift its weight to nothing if it collapses down on the pony too fast. At that point it could crush down on her neck with nothing more than the weight of a feather. It almost exactly resembles his own magical talent to lighten his body weight.

Feather smells her sweat in this room which he finds very mildly intoxicating, but it is the sharply focused look in her eyes that really makes him swoon. She is pushing herself with titanic but also focused determination. It is incredible for him to see.

It also strikes him as overkill. Stern Wing was already so powerful before. She was good enough to be a really good player in a professional sport, and unlike Feather's own previous attempt to join the Wonderbolts (and notably the very first unicorn to attempt that), Stern Wing actually made it to the major leagues. She was the best of the best. The kind of pony who already cast a long shadow. It seems strange and daunting to Feather how hard she's pushing herself now to become even stronger. With that much of a lead above and beyond every other pony kind, it almost feels outrageous how she's pushing herself even further.

But Feather also knows why she's doing this. On their last mission, which was notably the first new planet that Stern and Feather had ever traveled to, she had to push herself very hard trying to climb up a radio tower which was in danger of being washed away while it was pounded by a harsh, hurricane-force sea storm. She did that to help rescue a stranded earth pony at the top. Feather was there to assist her as much as he could, and ultimately they did succeed. Just barely in time, too, for that tower did get washed away when they neared the bottom.

That moment is probably playing in Stern Wing's head over and over again. How she succeeded against an enormous challenge with just barely enough strength and stamina to spare. Succeeding in a critical mission is fine, but she probably wants a much greater degree of strength and stamina in preparation for the next equivalent challenge. For her, it probably feels more comfortable entering a challenge like that with more leeway. Perhaps, next time, this extra training will again result in being just barely enough despite all this extra training.

This is so much more important to her than scoring points in a game of professional league Puffball. Lives are on the line out here, and Stern Wing has always been the kind of pony to take issues like that ultra seriously.

Stern Wing's diet was already pretty strict too. That makes a lot of sense for anypony in a professional league sport. Doing stuff like that probably is considered standard practice for anypony who plans to remain competitive with and against other players who have standards equally high.

These days, however, have shifted Stern's destiny to something more akin to a war soldier, police officer, or fire fighter. The kind of profession and lifestyle that specifically drives her towards danger on a regular basis. It's not enough for her to be strong enough to defend herself or her friends. She has the drive and determination to defend anypony she perceives as helpless in that situation. In her eyes, this is precisely why she has to be so strong. This is her cutie mark destiny. It is who she fundamentally is.

Feather hadn't read too many stories of comic book style superheroes before but he had a few friends and acquaintances who read such things at his father's school, the Silver Horn Academy, which is an elite and high class institution for education and magical practices. From there, those few friends and acquaintances, who love to talk about such obviously fictional superheroes whenever they had the chance and inclination, describe such beings as overwhelmingly powerful just because. The reasons they are that strong doesn't seem as important as what they do with that strength. In Feather's eyes, such beings sound like mere wishful thinking of the writers and readers of the story. A wish that they, too, can be that powerful and invincible for no reason in particular. If that were true, there would be no reason to fear anything else in life as well. To have the kind of hide where magical hornbeams bounce off of them or the strength to blow through an iron wall with ease. In other words, to be unstoppable and unmovable. To be a force so powerful that one can easily, and almost effortlessly, achieve their dreams regardless what oppositions foolishly attempts to stand in their way.

But, in Feather's eyes, Stern Wing stands as the best representative of what such superheroes could look like if they actually existed because what she is doing right now is a path towards making such unrealistic standards look like it might actually be possible. She was already born a pony so innately ahead of the curve in terms of size, stamina, and strength. In this case, “strength” is in terms of physical, mental, and emotional. Stern had started with a baseline that was very high but, for her, that still isn't enough. She pushes herself even further with intense and refined training.

In real life, most individuals who are that gifted usually are more lazy because they've always been so far ahead of the curve already that it didn't seem necessary to try so hard to remain ahead, but not Stern Wing. She applies herself very strongly because the reason behind that goal is so incredibly important to her. If all of this effort can save even one life than it's already worth it to her.

She does all of this not for fame, not for glory, not for riches, but because it is right at the core of her being. As long as others are saved, that's enough. She couldn't care less about the credit unless, somehow, it might result in helping her save yet another life.

This feels wholly unreal to Feather, yet Stern is among the best representatives of the kinds of ponies who are ideal for a role like this. Under that perspective, Stern doesn't appear so random in being picked for a journey like this. After all, the captain of this vessel is intelligent and knowledgeable to a degree far beyond the standards of any average pony.

But for Feather himself, despite all of his unusual talents and training, he never felt like he is an individual special enough to warrant a destiny like this. Honestly, he's always been a pony still searching for precisely what that destiny should be. So far he found it best by being in wild and virgin nature, yet still that wasn't quite enough. Something was missing and he was in the middle of trying to figure that out when, all of a sudden, he got swept up in this grand adventure.

In this, Feather feels insecure, like he might not be good enough for this, but with Stern? There simply is no question of that. Not only is she worthy, but she'll continually push herself in an effort to further ensure she remains worthy. For that reason, he doesn't know how he can possibly be more proud of her.

Feather Wind's train of thought snaps back into focus with present reality when he hears, then sees, Stern Wing set the barbell back on the bar above her, unstrap her hooves from the bar, then proceeds to sit up. She also dislodges the weights off her wings then uses her right wing to fetch and pull a towel which she then uses to wipe sweat off her face. Only after doing all of that, then draping the towel over her neck, does she finally turn to address her foalhood friend.

“How is Vision?” Stern Wing asks in concern.

“Still sick, I'm afraid,” Feather honestly reports. “We all knew she had a naturally frail constitution to begin with given her sheltered history in the monastery she was raised in. Sure enough, she fell ill after traveling through a planet in the midst of a heavy storm and then trotting many miles in that aquatic ocean base.”

“She knew the consequences of her actions and accepted them,” Stern says bluntly as she turns and sits on the workout bench to face her foalhood friend even more. “Perhaps we should count our blessings. Her later illness notwithstanding, it may be that she honestly did save our lives by warning us of her prophetic dreams.”

“That seems likely,” Feather agrees with a slight twinge of sadness in his voice. “She saved my life, or maybe I should say our lives, before by warning her mother of the impending attack on the Orchard's farm which we later then went to also rescue. She told her mother who then told Princess Celestia who then sent the Wonderbolts out to the farm and they finished off the remaining threats. I owed her my life, Stern Wing, so it's not like this situation is too difficult for me to believe. Regardless of how things would have turned out, I'm glad she helped.”

“But for now, as long as she remains sick, the Doctor plans to keep the TARDIS parked on . . . wherever the heck we are?” Stern double checks.

“Yes because he is attending to her health personally,” Feather explains. “He's not called 'The Doctor' for nothing.

“Aside from that, I think he wants to be focused when we finally do launch onto our next mission. Knowing Vision is sick probably would have been too distracting if he resumed right away.

“I also think the Doctor has a point. Because we have a time machine here, we don't need to rush into things before we're fully ready to commit to it. I think the Doctor's policy is wise in this case given the circumstances involved.”

Stern Wing gives her friend a strange look as she asks, “Why are you telling me that as if I might disagree with you?”

Feather's eyes momentarily enlarge because he is startled by her reaction. When he recovers, he says, “I didn't mean to imply that you might disagree with me. I just wanted to explain our situation clearly and concisely.”

Stern releases a small breath as her hard look at her friend relaxes. She dabs herself with the towel that's still draped over her neck then uses her left wing to reach for, then pull, a sports bottle to herself. From it, she drinks her fill but does not gorge on it, likely because of the advice her professional sports coaches told her in her past.

“Very well. I understand the situation,” Stern Wing says when she's finished drinking from her sports bottle. “Be that as it may, that means we have some extra time on our hooves. You can see how I chose to spend it now and it's likely even clearer to you why I am doing this. For now, my question for you is . . .” she pauses a moment as she more fully focuses on Feather Wind “. . . what will you do to pass the time?”

“Exercise seems a little productive to me,” Feather Wind replies, “but it feels daunting to even imagine trying to catch up with you.”

“Then don't,” Stern replies bluntly. “Don't get me wrong. I have no objection for you to use any of this equipment to make yourself stronger, but the idea of doing this to catch up with me seems absurd to try. We're all on our own individual levels and we all have our own strengths and weaknesses. Quite frankly, I'd be disappointed if you did catch up to me because it also means you probably devoted much less time refining your own strengths. You can do things that I can never do. Versatility tends to keep us more prepared for any potential situation. Don't forget that.”

“That sounds like a good suggestion to me,” Feather Wind agrees.

“Take it as you will,” Stern Wing invites. “In the meantime, I need to get back to my training.”

“Before you do, indulge one last curiosity of mine,” Feather requests. “Just how far do you intend to push yourself? I'm just wondering what standard is in your mind when you realize enough is enough.”

“Now there is an inherently flawed question,” Stern Wing says as she rises off the workbench. “What makes you think there is some standard I can reach that will encourage me to ever stop? My life is a journey, Feather Wind. I don't ever plan to stop getting stronger until my life is completely done.”

“Touché,” Feather replies in a tone of acceptance as he rises to his four hooves himself. “Well, I'll let you get back to it, then.”


Derpy Hooves uses her muzzle to nudge the door open which leads into Feather Wind's private study room. In doing so, she's taken aback to notice how dark it is in that room save for a few lit candles around the desk he's working at. From there, Feather is bent over just a bit at the desk as he looks intently at whatever he is writing. His horn glows a soft silvery light. As that happens, she can hear the light scratching sound of his quill writing something on a parchment on his desk.

Still at the door, Derpy takes a moment to pause and admire the young stallion because she always adored intelligent ponies. That's one reason, among many, why she finds the Doctor so attractive as well.

At the same time, though, such ponies made Derpy feel grossly inadequate because she felt like the farthest thing from an intelligent mare. That might even be why she's so attracted to such stallions. Opposites attract, as they say.

Since he looks busy, Derpy doesn't want to disturb him. Already her cheeks burn with shame. The whole reason she cracked the door open without knocking was to avoid the risk of disturbing him just in case he is busy, and now it seems she confirmed the fact he is. Best to leave quietly now.

In an attempt to do precisely that, Derpy reaches forward with her teeth in order to bite down on the door handle then use it to close the door. However, when she tries, she ends up leaning too far forward which throws off her equilibrium. Instead of biting down on the door, she ends up falling down on her face with a startled squeak.

“Huh?” Feather asks as he looks up from his desk then looks back over his left shoulder at the open door. “Oh! Derpy. Are you okay? Here. Let me help you.”

Feather Wind uses his magic to lightly grab on her hide and use it to steady and pull her back onto her four hooves. In the process, Derpy's cheeks burn with hot embarrassment. At that moment she is glad that the interior of this room is presently so dark.

“Um . . . thank you,” Derpy says in a small and timid voice then speaks up louder. “You didn't have to do that, and I'm sorry for disturbing you.”

“Trouble not at all, milady. You're fully welcome to come in at any time. Please come in right now,” Feather encourages.

“Um . . . are you sure?” Derpy asks in a small voice again.

“Uh … what was that? I'm sorry. I didn't hear you,” Feather expresses back.

Derpy burns brighter beet red, but she shakes her head fiercely in an attempt to clear her head then speaks again after she musters up greater amounts of courage. “Uh . . . I asked if I might be disturbing you. I don't want to do that.”

Feather smiles lightly as he replies, “As I said before, you're always welcome to come in with your innocent and bright smile. What can I do for you?

“And please, come in and shut the door.”

“Um . . . okay.” Derpy fully steps in then proceeds to do so. When she does, she more fully realizes how dark the room is until it brightens for some reason. She turns about to look back at Feather then notices how he uses his magic to somehow intensify the candlelight almost as if they are a lantern that he can adjust the brightness of. Derpy smiles at him as she blushes a bit and says, “Um . . . you know that there is a light switch in here, right? You could have used it to brighten the room for you.”

“I'm aware of that,” Feather assures as he gazes softly at one of the candles. “This is just an old habit of mine. I used to do this a lot back at my father's mansion. I often used candlelights like this while I stayed up doing my studies in my room. I find the soft flicker of gentle candlelight relaxes me.”

In response, Derpy simply smiles more brightly.

The two of them pass a couple of moments in silence before Derpy trots up behind Feather then peers over the small, sky blue stallion's shoulder at the work on his desk. While she does that, she asks, “What are you writing?”

“A journal, mostly,” Feather Wind answers as he gazes down at his own work wistfully. “You see, I haven't learned to attune myself to the Red Crystal yet and I need to do that before I can use it to soak in positive energy around any moment that I may encounter it. Until then, I was hoping I could use this journal to capture some of those feelings of my latest adventure. That way, when I later do master my attunement to the crystal, maybe re-reading this journal will help me to recapture the feelings I had back when these moments were fresh. Perhaps that'll be enough to summon and capture some of the positive energy I felt at the time.”

“What a clever idea!” Derpy expresses brightly.

“We'll see if it works,” Feather says as he rubs his chin with his left hoof. “Until then, this is all I can do to prepare for that moment. Aside from that, this is something I've grown used to doing as I grew up. My father considered it good practice to do what our family is best known for; spellcasting and record keeping.”

“You're really amazing!' Derpy says admiringly along with a shy blush.

“You really think so?” Feather asks as he looks back over his left shoulder with his golden eyes at her. Deciding that wasn't enough, and since doing that hurt his neck a bit (especially to maintain), he then turns about in his seat to more fully face her.

“Oh yes! As a trained wizard, you're simply amazing! Also there's all that incredible weather control you can do and you don't even need your horn for that. Plus there is your writing.” She looks down at his work. “I wish I can do that.”

“Really?” Feather asks in delight. “Do you want me to teach you? Because I can.”

“Oh no.” Derpy vigorously shakes her head which causes a brief rattling sound. Her strong denial of that suggestion actually confuses Feather Wind. “I could never be as good at writing as you are.”

“Why? Because you lack a horn?” Feather Wind guesses.

“That's only part of it,” Derpy says with a shy blush. “I could be decent with my mouth writing except for one thing; I'm kind of cross-eyed and that messes with my depth perception. I've tried and tried before but I just don't seem to be any good at this.”

“Really?” Feather asks while raising a questioning eyebrow. “And yet you've taken to the services of a mail carrier pony in your time?”

“I've had some trouble with that too, to be honest,” Derpy admits with an ashamed blush. “Even reading is somewhat troubling for me, but I struggle with that less compared to my writing. Trust me, I've had many years to get used to my limitations. I know who I am.”

The two of them are silent for a moment before Feather Wind offers, “Well, if you ever change your mind about this, come and let me know.”

“Thank you for the offer, but I doubt I'll change my mind,” Derpy replies a bit despondently.

“You shouldn't sell yourself short. I think you're plenty talented enough,” Feather says as he turns about to face the desk again. He ignites his horn and uses it to float his quill up from the ink bottle. “Writing can be a lot of fun, too. I think it feels good to have one's thoughts locked on paper. A record for all time to see.”

Instead of arguing with him, Derpy decides to tactfully change the subject a bit by mentioning, “I heard you write poetry too. In fact, you later get a bit famous for that. At least, that is what the Doctor told me.”

“Which means I'll definitely not die until then,” Feather Wind realizes shrewdly. “That's good to know, I guess. It also means I'll eventually become famous for my work. Nice to know I'll one day be regarded that positively, but I won't use that as an excuse to get lazy about it in the meanwhile. That's probably why my work will eventually be noteworthy. More than likely my future work will secretly be inspired by the journey I'm taking with the Doctor as well.”

“Oh shoot! I said something stupid again,” Derpy pouts. “I think the Doctor told me that in confidence. I wasn't supposed to say that, especially not things about your future.”

The quill floating across Feather Wind's work suddenly halts when he realizes something alarming. More than once he has noticed Derpy putting herself down in some subtle ways and this is starting to become a noticeable pattern.

Feather Wind looks at, then frowns at, his work when he realizes he had accidentally paused his quill strokes at that one spot for too long and it's caused an inkblot, but his father taught him a spell to later fix this even if the ink dries. As such, he floats the quill back into the ink bottle then fully turns to face Derpy as he now addresses what he realizes is a much more pressing issue.

“Derpy, look at me,” Feather encourages with a very slight edge of firmness in his voice. Because of that, she eventually cooperates but it clearly is a struggle for her. When they finally have full eye contact, he asks her, “What's wrong, Derpy? Please tell me.”

“I don't . . . I . . .” Derpy somewhat stutters and breaks away eye contact in the process.

“Please look back at me, Derpy,” Feather requests.

“Um … okay,” she says in a small voice as she struggles to look back at him again.

“Now, again, tell me what's bothering you,” Feather encourages.

As she maintains eye contact, Derpy's eyes start to glisten with tears. Her chin starts to wrinkle with pain and quiver a bit. Eventually she can't take it anymore. She screws her eyes tightly closed and bows her head.

“I just . . . I just hope that you and Stern Wing have many wonderful adventures together with the Doctor,” Derpy says with a wildly unsteady voice. “I truly mean that. I hope you'll all be happy together.”

Feather Wind's eyes silently widen at Derpy as many pieces about the gray pegasus start to click into his mind. He realizes that she's worried that he and Stern will replace Derpy as a companion on this ship. The reason for that fear is pretty evident to him too. She clearly regards the two of them as vastly superior and more talented.

More than that, Derpy was likely teased harshly during her foalhood about her walleyes which she clearly seems insecure about. The reason for that is not only getting teased about it, but for the fact that she has, indeed, made many clumsy mistakes across her lifetime because of it. Time and time again she's gathered reasons to feel inadequate. Reasons to feel hopeless and powerless. Reasons to feel insecure and depressed.

Yet Derpy's many smiles he's seen seem genuine too. Was she just being brave or was she honestly happy as well? She has floating bubbles for a cutie mark which seems to perfectly fit her normally bubbly personality. As such, he doesn't think she's faking being ditsy or happy. There has got to be many instances when both was true, but sometimes those traits have drawbacks.

Just like anypony. They all have weaknesses. Even the Doctor. Feather Wind hasn't been around that long but he's seen enough to know there is a lot of weight on the old Time Lord's shoulders. Weight caused by the accumulation of regrets across these centuries. Why would they be there if the Doctor was always perfect? And he's an alien despite current appearances. That means being imperfect isn't a trait exclusive to ponies. Everypony has regrets, so it's disheartening for him to realize that she thinks her faults are greater than anypony else's.

Feather Wind sighs, leans forward, collects his forehooves together then presses them beneath his chin.

Speaking of flaws, one of his is his confidence. Much in life is new to him. He does have a gifted mind and it means he can see deeply at whatever he does observe, but he also has a very sensitive heart. That makes him feel really anxious about hurting anypony else's feelings. Right now choosing the right words feels especially important and he can't help but worry that he'll fail this test. If he does, he might lose a dear friend from this journey. That feels intolerable to him, but what can he say that has a good chance to prevent that? Knowing he is already starting with a dangerous baseline with her undermines his confidence even further.

Thinking back to their last adventure together, he can see the pattern which led Derpy to her current conclusions. Because they have a blind filly who is prone-to-sickness among their company, Derpy felt obligated to remain behind to take care of Vision. While the kindly and innocent gray pegasus felt that duty was important, it nevertheless hurt her to remain behind because she wanted to go too. Feather Wind knew that by looking at the pain that was in Derpy's eyes at the time. Part of him didn't want to acknowledge that because it felt distracting to maintain his focus on that issue when there were dozens of other critical issues he had to pay attention to back then.

Part of him must have hoped this issue would solve itself while he was on the journey because he had no idea how to deal with it afterwards. This issue was probably made worse by all the tales of what he and Stern did during the journey which Derpy must have thought she could not handle. If she felt she couldn't handle it and she saw others who seemed to handle it easily, her self esteem must have got flushed for it.

And the Doctor, someone she strongly looks up to, agreed with her plan for her to remain behind and watch after Vision while his more “useful” companions joined him on that journey.

Feather Wind squeezes his eyes shut as pain clenches him as well. During that time, he dwells on the many moments when he, too, felt he was inadequate. There were lots of reasons he felt insecure too. He still struggles with that, so it's easy to imagine why somepony else might look to him with envy.

The thing is, how can he convince her otherwise when her reasons are so understandable to him? He doesn't agree, but he at least understands her.

He slowly cracks his eyes open when he starts to realize the virtues of telling her the truth.

Then he focuses his kindly golden eyes on Derpy as he asks her, “Would you like to read some of my journal entries?”

“Um . . . huh?” Derpy tilts her head in confusion. “Wha . . . what do you mean? Why would I do that? I don't want to intrude upon your privacy.”

“It's not intruding if I invite you to,” Feather points out.

Derpy purses her lips in a pouting expression as she asks, “What would that prove?”

“It would prove nothing, but it would also give you evidence that I, too, often feel insecure. Thoughts like that circulate in my mind and heart all the time.”

“Rah . . . really?!” Derpy asks in surprise. “Bah-but you're so powerful ah-and strong and rich and talented and-”

“Do you think all of those reasons equates to perfect confidence?” Feather interrupts. “Pretend, for a moment, we switch places and bodies or something and you suddenly acquire my body and all of my talents and knowledge. Now it's you that has my mage training and talent for manipulating the weather. With all that power under your control, do you think you can face the world feeling invincible? Or are you still so concerned about the welfare of others that you might fear that this power could be used in the wrong way and therefore get somepony hurt?”

“I, ah . . . haven't thought of it that way,” Derpy admits.

“With great power comes great responsibility,” Feather Wind lectures. “My uncle taught me that and my father too, in his own way. I think the reason they said such things like that was a warning to be mindful, but I took it to heart in a somewhat detrimental way. I sometimes fear my power because I'm afraid that it might hurt others if I'm not careful. I care about that a lot.”

Feather Wind leans back enough so he can prop his head up by a hoof, the elbow of which rests on his desk behind him. From this position he continues to regard Derpy.

“Power is a double-edged sword. It is as capable of harming as it can do wonders. It can attract others as well who might want to exploit me for that power. Many have tried. Some have succeeded. There are also those who tried to hurt me and tear me down to their level out of jealousy, pure spite, dark ambitions to control me, or outright fear of me. Again, some of them have succeeded, at least at the time.

“The only time I have ever enjoyed my gifts fully, or at least to the greatest degree so far, was when I was alone in nature for a bunch of moons. Back then, I did not have to worry about being judged by others. It was just me and nature, and nature has a natural way of balancing things out. Those who properly attune to that find their own natural equilibrium.

“But in pony society, or any other for that matter, there are a lot of complex issues to contend with. Some hoofle it easily and brashly. I've encountered more than one of those at the Wonderbolt Academy, but I'm not like them. I second guess myself all the time. I feel insecure with or without any power. None of that removes the same core issues that lies within myself. I care for others . . . perhaps to an unhealthy degree.

“I'm not sure, but it also seems wise to have some checks and balances with all of my power. Great power could also mean having many and/or strong options to solve a potential problem, but then there is the pressure of trying to find the best option among those presented. That also means there is a worst option among them, and it's up to me to figure out how to avoid that. The possibility of failure always plagues my mind no matter how gifted I am and that alone limits my fullest potential.”

“I haven't thought of that either,” Derpy realizes. “It's funny how two ponies, who have almost opposite backgrounds, can also lead to the same thing. Ponies who feel emotionally insecure about ourselves.

“Oddly, though, you telling me this makes me feel a tad bit better. Thank you. I also deeply appreciate the fact you truly care about me so much.”

Feather smiles at her very lightly as he says, “I just want to make sure you know that you're not the only one to feel this way. Perhaps we reached the same conclusion for different reasons, but what we have in common is enough for both of us to feel validated in our own ways. Both of us are searching for the best possible answers in our lives. We are searching and worried what will happen if we don't find it.

“They key thing I think we have in common, despite everything else that seems to make us different, is how much we care for those around us. That's fundamental because it affects how we view and feel about everything.

“I don't think you have to worry about being replaced on this ship, Derpy. Rather than that, I rely on you to help me get through this journey. Power has nothing to do with it. Rather what I need, or I should say what we need, is a supportive and understanding friend who genuinely cares for us. Everything else will feel more trivial if we can feel secure in at least that one bit of knowledge. That alone takes practice, but we'll keep at it one step at a time.

“So how about it, Derpy? Will you do that for me? Will you be here, as my friend, for every step of our journey so long as we need each other? If you do, then I promise that I shall do likewise. Heck, I'd do that anyway regardless because I have to always be honest with my own feelings and passions.”

Derpy stared at Feather Wind in silent shock for several moments as his words slowly sank into her brain and heart. When it does, a smile explodes brightly on her face as she enthusiastically promises, “I will!”


Stern Wing searches for her friend, Feather Wind, in every room she can think of. She searches through the most obviously places first, of course, but when that proves fruitless, she goes down the list of suspects until she eventually realizes the front door and exit of the TARDIS is slightly ajar. That definitely isn't a place she'd think to check first.

After she notices that, she grows greatly alarmed because, out there, it can be anything. No pony has scouted the local terrain around where the TARDIS landed to her knowledge which means, if Feather Wind is out there, he's alone with no backup in unchecked territory. The environment alone can be hostile on some planets let alone the lifeforms that may exist out there.

“What does he think he's doing?!” Stern Wing mutters angrily under her breath as she marches her way to the exit of the TARDIS. “He should know better than to venture out without backup. He should have at least informed one of us.”

“He did,” somepony says behind her which causes Stern to pause then look behind. There she notices the Doctor fiddling with the controls of the TARDIS for some reason, but it seems he's doing it with an absent-minded attitude as if doing this just to pass some time.

“He told you he was going outside?” Stern Wing checks with the Doctor.

“Indeed, he did, and I did not land on this planet as randomly as the last,” the Doctor assures her as he looks over his shoulder and gazes at her softly with his confident blue eyes. “There isn't many sentient lifeforms out there and those that are there aren't much of a threat to the likes of him.”

“So they are not likely to be a threat to him, but still could be?” Stern Wing double checks.

“Go outside and check on him yourself if you really want to,” the Doctor invites. “I know you will anyway.

“And, for the record, there isn't anywhere I can take you all in time or space where I can perfectly ensure your safety. Threat levels greatly vary from different times and places, but I never once met something that is absolutely immune to any potential threat. That's just the nature of the existence we share as mortal beings, my dear.”

“Sounds reasonable,” Stern Wing accepts. “Given those facts, I'd appreciate being included in the loop when it comes to my friends in the future, especially if they get exposed to the security risk of whatever may be outside this vessel.”

“He told me about his departure along his way out of here,” the Doctor reminds. “At the time, I saw no reason to go out of my way to make sure everybody aboard this ship is aware of that fact, but if you wish, I can make a more concerted effort next time to at least inform this ships security officer,” he says with an emphatic nod to Stern Wing.

“Indeed. You do that,” Stern Wing replies curtly. “Now if you'll excuse me, I need to check after my friend.”

“As you wish,” the Doctor absently says dismissively as he returns his focus to the TARDIS controls.

Once at the door, Stern Wing pauses there, looks back at the Doctor, and requests of him, “If Vision's status changes, I'd appreciate being notified of that too.”

“Will do,” the Doctor promises with the same attitude. “Until then, I shall do my best to induce a positive change for the young girl.”

Stern Wing nods in agreement then steps outside.


The first thing Stern Wing notices when she steps outside the TARDIS is the cool, crisp air. There is daylight out there too, but greatly shaded by the gray skies above. She notices mist not only nearby the vessel, but in many spots out in the surrounding valley. Shortly later she realizes that they are resting upon some mountaintop in a heavily forested environment. The trees themselves don't look all that alien to her either. Part of her even wonders if this is, indeed, Equestria. But, if it is, she isn't exactly sure where within it.

Feather Wind isn't far from the vessel. In fact he is, more or less, only a few paces from it. However, he isn't touching the ground. Instead of that, he is sitting up straight in a meditative pose on top of a cloud just a few feet off the ground that he probably created himself.

Although, judging from the fog in various parts of the environment, there exists a possibility he merely hopped on to one that was already present.

Nothing about the local environment appears immediately threatening. Now that she is witnessing it, her instincts aren't crying out danger either. More of the opposite, in fact. Everything out here feels still. Calm. Relaxing. About the only activity out here is what sounds like avian life somewhere out in the distance and a bit of rustling through the trees caused by the wind, or perhaps even caused by Feather Wind himself.

Just in case, Stern Wing takes off into the air to do a quick perimeter check. That's easier to do from a bird's eye perspective. In doing so, she mostly just verifies her earlier findings. Plenty of things might be hidden from her sight among the vast array of trees, or the fog, which stretches across every horizon even from high above. All appears calm in the area, especially within the immediate vicinity of the TARDIS which was her primary concern.

Stern Wing lands back in front of the TARDIS about two minutes after taking off. She glances over her shoulder at the open door of the small, blue, and mostly rectangular vessel. For security reasons, part of her is tempted to shut the TARDIS doors, but then she and Feather might be trapped out here. Besides, the Doctor is immediately within the room adjacent to the main exit and entrance. For as long as that remains true, those within the vessel should be safe enough for the time being.

It's actually Feather that is her primary concern right now, for he is out here exposed to all the elements. Before she showed up, he was alone at that. That's definitely one issue she plans to rectify.

On the other hoof, she does not wish to disturb her friend either. Since that is the case, her course is clear. She'll stand guard nearby and maintain a vigilant watch.

At first she thinks she should remain still near the TARDIS exit, but that quickly starts to grow too boring. Since that is the case, she instead opts to patrol the immediate perimeter a little from the ground level this time. That, at least, affords her an opportunity to get a closer look at her environment. As she does that, she gradually realizes that, potential threat levels aside, this place is rather beautiful.

More to the point, this seems like the kind of place Feather Wind himself would be the most comfortable in. Her friend may have been raised as an aristocrat, but at heart, he's always been more akin to a true druid. Places like this, with pristine nature, was always where he really belonged. The stillness, the timelessness that can come from such places . . . Stern Wing can kind of see the potential appeal of that. Personally, she prefers the hustle and bustle of pony society, but once in a while it's nice to get back out here in raw nature for the difference, the beauty, and the challenge.

The ears above her head perk further up, more especially alert, when she hears the relatively quiet sound of thunder rolling across the sky. Sometimes it gets louder and more prominent as the roll continues, but it generally is pretty steady and calm.

Around that point her innate pegasi senses for weather alerts her to the fact it is going to rain soon. She focuses up in the gray skies and realizes that should have occurred to her quite a while ago. When it finally does, she grows curious if her friend realizes that as well. Most likely the answer is yes. In fact, his senses for the weather is far more keen than any average pegasi because he can directly communicate with the weather. It talks to him on some level she cannot fully understand. It's probably just a feeling for him. He claims the messages of the wind become especially clear to him as he breathes it in. It's as if there is a message built within the oxygen itself.

Since her curiosity is not abating, she quietly trots around her friend in order to gaze at him more from the front side. In doing so, she sees what she most expects. His eyes are closed and his mind appears distant from here. Where his mind is instead, she can hardly guess, but he does appear very relaxed. That's good.

She almost returns to her post at the front of the TARDIS, but before she fully takes her first step, something about Feather Wind changes. She sees him gradually lifting his muzzle until it totally aims up into the air. At first she wonders why until she can feel the light pitter-patter of raindrops gradually picking up. When that happens, she lifts her own muzzle into the sky and closes her eyes to protect herself from the raindrops. She also unconsciously spreads her wings as if to expand the surface area of her body and catch even more of the raindrops.

She takes in a deep breath. Rich oxygen fills her lungs and invigorates her with life and magic. Peace starts to settle within her as well and, for a brief moment, she even drops her guard a bit. It's just nice out here.

More thunder rolls across the sky which drifts her consciousness back up to the surface. She's more alert again, but still relaxed.

The sound of different, deeper breathing tips her off to a change in the status of her friend. She gazes upon him. His eyes are still closed, but he's breathing in much more deeply and a bit more loudly. Since she's not entirely sure what that means, she continues to remain observant.

“It's nice out here . . . isn't it?” Feather Wind eventually asks as he slowly opens his eyes while the rain continues and he still gazes up into the sky. “I'm telling you, Stern . . . this is the life for me.”

“It is nice,” Stern Wing somewhat agrees. “And I appreciate the fact you have a deeper connection to the weather than anypony I know. Even other pegasi. They may fly through the sky, but you are the sky.”

Feather Wind takes in another very deep intake of breath then slowly releases it. Stern Wing hears every second that it continues until his breath abates.

“How are the others? Any change that we should note?” Feather Wind checks as he finally looks at her directly.

“Stable,” Stern reports. “Including Vision for the most part. The Doctor sounds confident she'll make a full recovery, such as it is, but then there is the question of what to do with her afterwards.”

Stern Wing momentarily gets lost in a trance when she sees Feather Wind gaze upon her with a look she hardly ever sees from him, and that is a look of serene calmness. At that moment it feels like he isn't just Feather Wind but something more as well. Something grander.

“Life will always find a way, Stern Wing,” Feather Wind calmly assures.

“I, uh . . .” Stern pauses for a moment as she swallows a gulp before continuing. “I'll take your word for it.

“In the meantime, I'd like you to promise me something. The next time you decide to venture out of the TARDIS in new and uncharted territory, please have the courtesy of alerting me first.”

A smile grows on Feather's lips that is a mix between serene and amused. It slightly annoys Stern to see as if he's looking upon a young and innocent child, but it also fascinates her to see because it seems to give him an otherworldly quality as well.

“My apologies, Stern. I shall be more mindful of that in the future,” Feather promises.

“Be sure that you do, or I'll have cause to worry,” Stern replies with a cheeky frown. Four seconds later she releases her frustration with a long exhale of breath as she sweeps her gaze across the landscape before saying, “But, as you've said, it is nice out here. However, I'm a little concerned about the weather. We should probably return inside the TARDIS before too long. We don't wish to compound the Doctor's problem by getting sick out here ourselves.”

“The weather can never harm me, Stern,” Feather Wind calmly assures which draws her attention right back at him. Shortly later he adds, “But that said, you won't go back inside until I do. Am I correct?”

“You know me well enough to answer that,” Stern Wing replies. “For as long as you, or anypony else I can perceive might be in danger, I'll be there and alert.”

“Let's go back inside, then,” Feather concedes. He pushes himself up with a hoof on the cloud below him. He floats up as if in low gravity, but she can tell he simply lightened his body weight. As he floats up, the cloud below him dissipates which leads Stern to think that he did, indeed, originally form that cloud. After that, he gently floats back to the ground. Along the way down he uncrosses his hind legs then lands on all four.

“I can enjoy the weather through the open door just as well,” he compromises.

“While you do that, how about a nice hot cup of coco?” Stern Wing offers. “I can make us a cup in the kitchen. I'll even add marshmallows.”

Feather Wind smiles at her brightly in appreciation as he says, “That sounds wonderful. Thank you.”

Author's Note:

This is a little different, isn't it? A low-key slice-of-life type of chapter/episode. Get to know the characters during their downtime activity when they are also getting to know each other better. This better helps to establish who they are, how they treat each other, and what they have to bring to the table on their next adventure. The reason Stern Wing remains so strong, and perhaps stronger later, is she kept exercising. Feather continued with his writing and communing with nature, and Derpy feels a little out of place, especially with her own role in consideration of the inclusion of her new friends. These are character-driven chapters that drive the story forward through interpersonal relationships. The best ones usually are.

But let me know what you think.

Here is some nice music that I kept thinking of which helped to inspire the end of this chapter where Feather Wind mediates out during the light rainstorm and Stern kept vigilant watch nearby.

PreviousChapters Next