• Published 5th Feb 2023
  • 368 Views, 69 Comments

Adventures in the TARDIS - Scroll



An extention of the adventures of Feather Wind, Stern Wing, and Vision's journey with eccentric Time Lord the Doctor and his adorable assistant, Derpy Hooves.

  • ...
1
 69
 368

PreviousChapters Next
Part 10: Into the Depths of Truth

“ . . . Four . . . three . . . two . . . one . . . Dive!”

Right after that intercom announcement, an artificial sounding horn issues. After that happens, all occupants within the giant yellow pod can feel their bodies lurch upwards for a moment.

“Here we go again,” Stern Wing comments as she holds tight to a metal rail around the outer perimeter of the pod from the inside.

Feather Wind and Stern Wing watch with some fascination, and a bit of concern, as the giant spherical pod they are in, which has massive amounts of cargo space behind them, dives into the ocean. They watch this out from one of the many porthole windows built around the pod. The primary reason for their concern is the huge waves still crashing about due to the storm. It shouldn't knock the pod off the giant and sturdy metal chain that the pod is attached to which is also lowering the pod towards the ocean, but the waves could knock the pod sidewards for a moment when it is struck.

Fortunately for them, the moment they hit the water it isn't too rough. The pod shakes for a moment which briefly threatens their balance, but when the pod sinks below the waves, things become much more steady within.

“We should be much more stable from this point forward,” the Doctor announces nearby as he lets go of the rail while still viewing outside. “Most of the kinetic energy of the storm is on the surface. We should be able to-”

As if to contradict him, the pod violently rocks to one side for a moment then quickly shifts back. Doing so threatens the balance of anyone inside. Shortly later Feather Wind and Stern Wing pass the Doctor a dry, “Really?” kind of look.

“I did say most of the kinetic energy,” the Doctor reminds. “We're still close to the surface and this pod is attached to the chain that is still being affected by the storm above.”

“Speaking of chain, Feather, come take a look at this,” Stern Wing invites excitedly as she goes to another porthole which reveals the giant chain traveling upwards on this side of the pod. Both of them know they'll find an identical thick chain like this on the other side of the pod except that end is still because they are traveling down with it. The chain, they know, continues all the way to the aquatic base these ponies have far beneath the surface. A base known to them as Allon.

Allon, which is a small section of the sunken underwater city that the ponies salvaged and renovated to serve as their base of operations under the water. It is there that they deliver all the rest of the scrap metal they gather from the sunken city. Allon also gives them access to one mineshaft that they don't have to dive underwater to get to and, as such, has been their primary revenue for rare ore.

“Amazing,” Feather Wind marvels after he leaped onto Stern Wing's back to be tall enough to have a clear view to look out the porthole. In fact, she is so tall, he has to stoop a bit to see out the porthole once he is on her. “Do you know how much weight water has, Stern Wing? Or how much pressure there can be in it if we sink deeper?”

“No, but I get the feeling you're going to tell me,” Stern Wing replies casually.

“Actually, our scholars largely don't know,” Feather Wind informs her. “But they do know it is considerably more than it is on the surface. They also know that the pressure gets worse and worse as we sink deeper.”

“Then why aren't we being crushed by it right now?” Stern Wing wonders aloud.

“That would be because of the pod itself,” answers one of the laborer stallions who happened to hear their conversation nearby. Looking back at him, they notice he is a mostly brown-coat stallion but he has patches of white sploshed in some places. Most notably around his left eye. “More specifically,” he continues, "it is because of the hull of the pod. There are actually two such hulls. The one on the outside and one on the inside which is called the 'pressure hull'. That thing is very reinforced and is the primary reason why we're not being crushed to death. Yes Sir.” He knocks on the inner wall three times. “As long as this thing holds, it keeps the water out and the air inside. With that barrier in place, the air inside won't be affected.”

“The pressure of water, or even the air, is also different from world to world,” the Doctor adds as he trots nearby. “So even if you can identify how much pressure a certain amount of depth gives underwater in one world, it doesn't provide you an accurate answer on another world and that is because of the density of the liquids from world to world as they could be made of different stuff. The gravity of the planet is also a factor.”

“If gravity is different on other planets, you'll be sure not to take us to those with gravity too heavy or light, right?” Stern Wing checks cautiously.

“If we ever need to, I'll be sure to bring the appropriate precautions,” the Doctor assures. “Gravity isn't the only factor that can determine suitability though. There are many others to consider, like temperature, atmospheric composition, or, as we discussed,” he gestures above, “air and water pressure. If I were to throw you into a gas giant, for example, you would not long withstand the overwhelming pressures those planets can exude.”

“Ah,” Stern Wing passes Feather a questioning look for a moment before directing it to the Doctor. “Gas giant? What is that?”

Feather Wind and the nearby laborer also listen for the answer.

“It's a type of giant planet that has no solid surface area,” the Doctor answers. “They can be made of many kinds of things, but they are primarily just giant balls of gas in space which have collected together so much, its own gravity keeps it from escaping into space.” He winces slightly as he says, “Think of them as something akin to giant balloons in space except it doesn't have a tangible surface. If you fall into one, you'll just keep falling until you are either crushed by the pressure or torn apart by the storms that may be within it. That's if the gas itself doesn't melt your lungs or something.”

“Lovely,” Stern Wing says sarcastically. “Since outer space seems so cozy and inviting, it is a wonder why many more civilizations aren't exploring it.”

“Just getting to it can be quite a challenge,” the Doctor replies more seriously. “Let alone surviving it once you are there.

“But still, take it from someone who has been traveling within it for almost a thousand years. As dangerous as it can be, it is full of wonders for those intrepid enough to venture through it.”

“Remind me again, why are we traveling down to this underwater base?” Stern Wing checks as she looks out the porthole to see the giant chain that continues to travel upwards. During that time, they are also occasionally hearing a “click-click-click” sound from somewhere above them.

“To get some samples of the medicine needed to cure the ponies up on the surface,” The Doctor answers. “I'm also being thorough by turning over another stone.” The Doctor looks out the porthole too. “Perhaps it is a long shot, but I am also hoping that, by being down there, I can get a hold of more information about the Alphalmians or for them to contact me. Failing that, I can at least uncover more information about the going-ons of these ponies' operations under the surface. That is a critical part of their revenue up there at Salvage. Who knows? It might also be somehow related to the source of the motivation for whatever antagonist is causing the storms up above.”

“Do you think the storms are artificial?” the mostly brown coat laborer asks who is still nearby and still listening intently to their conversation so far.

The Doctor turns a curious eye towards that laborer as he ponders for a moment and then he asks, “I'm sorry. We haven't been introduced. My name is the Doctor and these here are my faithful companions, Feather Wind and Stern Wing.” When the Doctor said that, he gestured to each pony in turn.

The laborer grins for a moment before extending a hoof and says, “The name is Ashwin. Ashwin Cobberfield.”

“What an interesting name,” Stern Wing muses aloud. “Does it mean anything?”

“Ah . . .” Ashwin gives them a curious look. “I don't know what you mean by 'mean' anything. Should it? As far as I know, it's just my name. Plain and simple.”

“How did your parents come up with it? Were they inspired by anything in particular?” Stern Wing continues to probe because she's trying to find some common ground between their two cultures. This society should be an extension of their own back in Equestria, after all. She just wants to know what their thought process is in this case.

In partial answer to Stern's question, he just shrugs as he regards her with uncertainty but then suddenly focuses and gets much more serious as he regards the Doctor. “I repeat, do you think this storm is artificial? In particular, do you think the Alphalmians are involved?”

“That's a fairly specific question,” the Doctor observes.

Ashwin shakes his head as he explains, “I just hear it from so many of the other guys out here and those who work on the surface. Alphalmians this and Alphalmians that. Blah-blah-blah. The whole shebang. A lot of the ponies around here think they are to blame for the storms simply because they might be capable of it.”

The Doctor's expression toward Ashwin turns shrewd and discerning. Eventually he says, “Before I tell you that, I would like to gather your opinion on this whole affair. Something tells me you might not have a popular opinion on this for some reason.”

“And before I tell you that, Doctor, let me ask you this; have you ever met an Alphalmian before?” He then looks at the rest. “Have any of you?”

“I think I have,” the Doctor answers. “Or perhaps something similar. If memory serves, they sort of look like a cross between a jellyfish and a squid, except their head is where the butt would be on a typical squid. They are translucent and luminous. They cast off a natural bioluminescence that, quite frankly, seems otherworldly to behold. They are quite beautiful, and not just physically.”

“So you have seen them,” Ashwin says to the Doctor with a smile of approval. “Have you heard them too? The music they make in the depths of the water?”

The Doctor nods as he says, “Yes, indeed, I have. It is very enchanting.”

“Wow.” Ashwin regards the Doctor in awe. “Now there is an understatement.”

“I've seen their capital city too,” the Doctor kind of brags. “Imagine tall stalks of what kind of look like mushrooms and coral reefs, except they also shimmer with natural bioluminescence which also prismatically shifts. While one is trying not to get hypnotized by that sight, there are also many kinds of colorful fish swimming about in their city. Incredible and unearthly music also swims through the depths of the whole city. It truly is a marvelous sight to behold.”

“Are you serious?” Ashwin asks in surprise. “Are you sure this wasn't just some telepathic memory they implanted in your mind?”

“No,” the Doctor assures as he shakes his head, but then he pauses as he thinks on that question more, then says, “Well, actually, that too but I've been there as well to verify that the memories they share of that place are indeed genuine.”

“I envy you then, Doctor,” Ashwin marvels at the Time Lord. “You must be part fish too to survive the depths of that water or breathe underwater. Also,” he tilts his head, “they don't just invite anypony into their beautiful capital city. Both for their own sake as well as their potential visitors, they are quite sensitive on this subject.”

“It has become abundantly clear to me that you also speak from experience,” the Doctor realizes. “So I take it you are not a proponent of the theory that the Alphalmians are the cause of the storm?”

“Actually, I share my brethren's opinion that they might be responsible,” Ashwin finally answers.

Really?!” the Doctor asks in genuine surprise. “I certainly didn't expect that opinion from someone who clearly has some experience with them. They are one of the most peaceful, wise, and mature races I know.”

“Nevertheless, all races have their limits, Doctor,” Ashwin says with a flash of anger across his face. “And theirs is reached. However, unlike my fellow ponies, the thing that is vastly unpopular about my opinion is the fact that I may share the opinion that the Alphalmians could have caused this, but if they did, then we deserve it.”

All of a sudden Stern Wing, Feather Wind, and the Doctor all glance at each other in equal levels of alarm. After that, they look back at Ashwin as the Doctor encourages him, “Tell us more. Just why do you think the Alphalmians are responsible, and what motive do you think they have to do this?”

For once, Ashwin appears reluctant to answer, yet another part of him seems clearly tempted to tell them anyway. He is torn. Amidst that reaction, he is clearly very bitter and upset about something.

But this group gets distracted by a startled yelp from someone feminine elsewhere in this giant pod. Luring their attention, they see a very familiar gray pegasus mare with messy yellow hair get dragged away from her hiding spot behind a few crates near the other end of the pod. One detail that is new about her, though, is she is wearing a heavy raincoat.

“Derpy?” the Doctor exclaims in surprise.

As they continue to observe this encounter from a distance, they witness yet another get dragged away from behind the crates. Unlike the older mare, though, this white filly is much quieter and she doesn't struggle that much. She, too, is wearing a heavy raincoat.

“And Vision,” the Doctor realizes as his shoulders slump. “That's just perfect.” He then scans among his closer companions then looks at Ashwin before pointing at the brown stallion as the Doctor says to him, “Stay here. We are not done with this conversation,” the Doctor says insistently. “And you two,” he points back and forth between Feather Wind and Stern Wing, “stay with him. Make sure he does not take off.”

“Where would I go anyway? Into the water?” Ashwin asks the Doctor incredulously.

“Just stay put! I mean it!” the Doctor insists again stubbornly over his shoulder as he rushes off to save his other companions and to find out why they are here against his orders.

“Let go of me!” Derpy cries out frantically as she squirms and struggles against a couple of other stallions that are somewhat roughly manhandling her, primarily because of her struggle and the fact she is panicking so much.

As this continues, a spark of hope alights in her eyes when she notices the Doctor rushing over to their position. Because of that, she struggles to lift a hoof as she cries out, “DOCTOR, HELP ME!”

“Doctor?” one of the gray coat stallions echoes as he continues to hold Derpy moderately roughly but also turns to regard the other approaching stallion. To that stallion, this one calls out, “HEY DOCTOR. THIS ANOTHER FRIEND OF YOURS?”

“Yes, she's with me,” the Doctor confirms upon arrival. “And do as she says. Let go of her now!” he demands very insistently.

“As you wish,” the worker stallion replies then lets Derpy and Vision go immediately. That same stallion also says to the Doctor, “You should have told us we'd have more compony aboard this pod. That might have settled some misunderstandings in advance.”

“I would have told you had I known they would come,” the Doctor assures as he glowers at Derpy which causes the shy little mare to shrivel visibly. “Trust me, gentleman, this was not part of the plan and I would very much care for an explanation.”

“Dah . . . Doctor, I'm sorry!” Derpy stutters a bit as she cries a little. “I deh-didn't mah-mean to upset you or anything. I was jah-just trying tah-to do the right thing.”

“Which is what, exactly?” the Doctor asks as he softens his expression considerably since he very much feels deeply moved and concerned about her emotional outburst. “Please, Derpy, help me to understand what's going on here. Why did you two leave the TARDIS where I told you it's safe?”

Derpy looks down in shame as tears from her eyes drip down to the floor. At this very moment, she feels too weak and ashamed to look him in the eyes anymore.

“It was my idea,” Vision speaks up.

“I beg your pardon?” the Doctor asks as his gaze shifts to Vision and a bit of an icy look and tone returns to him.

“This was my call,” Vision insists bravely. “Derpy is only here to help me find you and continue to protect me out here.”

The Doctor's eyes at Vision suddenly widen as he realizes aloud, “You had another prophetic dream, didn't you? Something to do with me and my companions out here I take it?”

Vision nods at where she suspects the Doctor is but she's a little off-target. She also simply says, “Yes.”

“Prophetic dreams?” a grizzled old stallion with a long bushy beard asks nearby. “The heck she talking about?”

“It's a long story,” the Doctor assures the other workers nearby. “We don't need to get into it. At least not here and now.

“And, frankly, don't you gentlemen still have a job to do?”

“I hear ya,” the grizzled old stallion says with a nod of understanding as he takes the hint. “Come on, boys. Let's get busy.” He nods his head elsewhere to indicate precisely where they should get busy, which is noticeably away from here.

The Doctor waits until they are gone and out of earshot. When that happens, he regards Derpy sympathetically and says, “Derpy, come here.”

Feeling very sensitive right now, Derpy hesitates to cooperate at first, but when she sees the Doctor's very soft expression toward her, she eventually complies. When she does, he hugs her from the front side by wrapping his forelegs and neck around her back and neck.

“I'm not mad at you, Derpy,” the Doctor soothingly assures her.

“You're not?” Derpy asks with a cracked voice but also with an inflection of rising hope.

“Yes. I am not mad,” he reassures. “Just . . . surprised, I guess, and more than a little concerned.

“Derpy, you know how fragile her health is and I know how much you care for her. I thought this arrangement would work out.”

Derpy closes her eyes and settles her face against his neck as she says, “It did, Doctor, but then she told me you might die if we didn't come and save you and . . . and . . . Oh Doctor! I just can't lose you! You mean so much to me.”

“And you do to me as well,” he reflects warmly.

Derpy sniffs then puts on a pouting expression as she complains, “It also hurt me to be left behind. I . . . I know I get so scared sometimes out here but I'm even more scared to be away from you, Doctor. I didn't know what might go wrong.

“And then, when Vision promised me that you would have a dire need for us, I just couldn't help myself.”

“That's because you have a lovely and compassionate heart,” the Doctor assures her proudly. “I am more than proud to have you as one of my companions. Privileged, even.”

“Oh Doctor! Thank you!” she cries out very gratefully in what she tries to put some volume into, but it ended up sounding like a meek little squeak instead.

“There, there,” he reassures her as he pats her back. “It's alright. Everything is going to be fine. I will save the day. Same as always. I promise you this, Derpy. I Pinkie promise. Cross my hearts, and hope to fly.”

“Stick a muffin in your eye!” Derpy finishes with a playful giggle.

“Ain't that the truth?” the Doctor replies affectionately with a snicker of his own.

They take a moment to settle and calm down with each other. Eventually the Doctor pulls back. When he does, Derpy does so as well cooperatively.

“So what's all this about a vision of doom?” the Doctor asks as he transfers his look back and forth between filly and mare, but his focus is on the filly a little more since she's the one he primarily expects to answer the question.

“You need us, Doctor,” Vision assures with incredible confidence for a filly her age. “The TARDIS sent us all here, not just you, Feather, and Stern. You all have a role to play in this affair, but so do we.”

“Care to shed some light on this affair?” the Doctor challenges her.

“Well, for one thing, I know you've been talking to the one who secretly has and has been using The Orb of Storms against his own fellow ponies,” Vision assures.

The Doctor's eyes explode widely in shock at Vision. He then passes that same expression over to Ashwin Cobberfield. The same pony who recently expressed some bitterness about his race for some reason.

“Oh damn it!” the Doctor curses in frustration as he paces away in random directions. “Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! You really like to spoil my fun, don't you, kid?” he complains in frustration.

Vision purses her lips but otherwise bravely holds her silence.

The Doctor growls in frustration then curses again, “Damn you, kid! Will you please shut up about spoilers and let me solve my own mysteries? Believe it or not, I'm pretty darn good at it and like to do it myself. I had already suspected him of something akin to that. I would've reached that conclusion eventually.”

“The real reason I'm here is to prevent your death,” Vision assures. “I won't apologize for doing the right thing. When I receive a vision of the future, it is usually a dire warning that must be acted against to prevent it. The universe needs you, Doctor, for plenty of more adventures to come. Likely to a greater degree than you know. I am here to make sure you get a fair chance to fulfill that destiny.”

“I know, and trust me, I understand that,” the Doctor assures the young filly. “But please, please, please, for the love of all the stars, also give me a chance to solve my own mysteries. I need that experience, too, to grow. You can't just cut straight to the answers like that. That's not fair to anyone and, quite frankly, it feels like cheating to me.” He points at her but realizes, a second later, she can't see that anyway; as a result, he lowers his hoof back to the floor again as he says, “Don't get me wrong. I appreciate what you are trying to do here and why you are doing it. My death is not a fate I welcome either. I very much wish to continue my adventures for as long as possible. That way I get to explore more and help those in need. I also know there is very little else you can contribute to this group and I get that. There is only one thing you can really do here and I know it doesn't sound fair for me to tell you to shut up about that. It's just . . .”

The Doctor trails off with a sigh as he tries to figure out a way to explain this more tactfully and effectively. He actually has to remind himself that he's talking to a child because she certainly sounds way more confident, firm, and mature than she actually is. Kind of to a scary degree.

“I'm sure that . . . there is a moment . . . when your advice and assistance is required,” the Doctor begins as he looks back at Vision. “Sometimes maybe I won't reach the answers we need fast enough or sometimes there is more at stake than even I can handle. I assure you that saving lives remains my top priority. That is far more important than protecting my ego. If I make the wrong decision and there's no other choice, then yes. Please speak up about what you know, but as a seer, learn to use your talents to guide you into knowing when those right moments have come. Learn to discern when to speak up and when to maintain your silence. There is wisdom in both paths, and I think you can be wise and mature enough to learn the difference. Pick your battles carefully. Can you do that for me?”

“I . . . I will try, Doctor,” Vision promises with the weakest confidence she's ever displayed so far. “But in this regard, please be patient with me. It will probably take some time for me to fully learn that role. I am still young and I am learning.”

“Fair enough,” the Doctor replies evenly. “That's all I ask. In return, I shall strive to be more patient and calmer about this. I shall withhold my frustration as best I can because I understand that this is still a learning experience for you. Believe me, I have never had a companion quite like you before. This is going to be quite a learning experience for us all.”

“As well it should be,” Vision agrees with a slow but deep nod that almost resembles a bow. “Such is the point of our existence. Without growth, we shall know the greatest pain of all . . . stagnation.”

“I'll take your word for it,” the Doctor replies. “And believe me, I can sympathize.

“Well then. Since the two of you are here anyway, you might as well make yourselves useful. To that end, please proceed to tell me anything you can about the vision you foresaw. Together, we shall do our best to make sure that future does not come to pass.”

PreviousChapters Next