• ...
4
 20
 2,228

Diamond Dog Cavern

Link trotted in the cavern system, getting a glimpse of his surroundings, trying the glean a bit of where to go and what to do. This entire cavern was more of a maze than anything else. Link felt like Theseus in the Labyrinth.

“It sure is hot in here...” Said Spike, fanning himself with his claw. Spike did a lot of complaining. Definitely not a good ratio for how much he actually helped Link. Regardless, Link was stuck with him, and he couldn’t complain.

As Link walked further along the system, he was met by a fork in the road.

“Go left!” Said Spike. Link ignored him and went right, where there was light. The left tunnel was dark, and Link didn’t like the dark. As he trotted along, his front hooves slid out from under him, as the ground crumbled beneath him, looking over a cliff. Below, he saw gratuitous amounts of lava. Link couldn’t gain much traction and was slowly slipping. Spike grabbed his tail and pulled as hard as he could, bringing Link up from the cliff.

“That was a close one!” Said Spike. Link nodded at him, motioning his thanks. Looking around, Link noticed several smaller pillars that were within jumping range, leading to a small opening below. Link hopped to them one by one, carefully aiming so as not to fall. Link eventually hit the bottom and trotted through the opening, spotting another set of pillars. A thunderous roar resounded in the background. Something was angry. Link could sense it. If he could only triangulate the sound through the caverns, he could save the Diamond Dog’s food. What did they even eat? Link didn’t notice any vegetation in the caverns.

The roar resounded again, louder this time. Was the creature approaching him?

“Sounds like it’s getting louder.” Said Spike. “Shouldn’t we be trying to find it?” Spike once again offered useless commentary that Link already figured out.

Link Trotted and jumped the second set of pillars in a pretty much straightforward fashion, zigging and zagging as needed. Spike followed suit, making short work of it. Link finished that set of pillars and trotted off on a rocky path with an upward spiral, almost systematically carved. Link spotted a Diamond Dog up ahead. Link galloped toward it and approached it.

As Link approched the Diamond Dog, link noticed peculiarities about this one. He was well built, muscular. He had a brand on his left arm, possibly the mark of a warrior. Perhaps this was the warrior they had talked about. Link looked at him closer, to which his leg was suddenly grabbed by the Diamond Dog.

“Help...me...” He said. He was on his last push of life. Link knew he didn’t have much longer. Link motioned for him to get on his back and he helped the Diamond Dog upon him. Link then trotted the upward spiral until he came out on a flat surface. He placed the Diamond Dog down and motioned for Spike to take care of him. The thunderous roar erupted ahead of him, as well as shaking ground. Whatever it was, this creature was very large, imposing...and loud. Link readied his sword as he carefully trotted forward further into the cavern systems.

The roars he heard were getting faster, rapid, almost urgent. He navigated the cave system with ease following the sounds, until he approached a large clearing. the roar was loud, but Link saw no monster in sight. Link readied his sword and slowly trotted forward.

Suddenly, a giant manticore dropped down in front of him. Link was caught off-guard, falling back on his flank, dropping his sword momentarily before regaining his composure. The manticore raised its head, staring Link down. Link froze. Maybe it was blind, too. Link discovered he’d have no such luck as the manticore charged at him. Link rolled left, out of the way of the manticore, the opposite direction of his sword. Link quickly spun around and made a daring gallop towards it as the manticore charged at him again. It had a lot of speed for a monster that big. Link dove for his sword, grabbing it by the tip of the handle before rolling, narrowly missing the manticore. the manticore spun again, charging at Link. Link once again dove, evaluating his strategy against this creature. Link got an idea and galloped against the wall. The manticore charged at him again. Link rolled out of the way, letting the manticore smash its head against the wall. In its small, confusing moment of vulnerability, Link came up and stabbed it in the stomach. The manticore screamed primal fury, dripping blood. Link quickly removed the sword and galloped away. The manticore, slow to get up, Searched the room for the pony. Once spotted, it charged again.

Link prepared his strategy again, lining up against the wall. Expecting the manticore to hit the wall, he rolled out of the way. The manticore, smarter than that, stopped and swung a paw at Link, backpawing him across the room. Link Flew across the room, smashing hard against the opposite wall after rolling on the ground a few times. Link would have to develop his strategy differently. The manticore was smarter than the cheerilee.

Link watched as the manticore charged at him. Link readied his slingshot and fired a buckshot ball into the manticore’s eye, temporarily blinding him. Link then dashed forward and sliced his underbelly, making a notable incision under his belly. It wasn’t enough to cut through, but the Manticore felt it’s pain as he stumbled back, landing on Link’s tail. Link tried to wriggle himself free, but the weight of the manticore was too much for him. The manticore, now fully recovered from the shot, noticed the pony under him. He grabbed him and crushed him beneath his paws, before throwing him against the wall. The manticore, feeling he had defeated his prey, let out a victory roar. A smaller, more incessantly annoying noise followed it.

The manticore turned around to see a Diamond Dog, one he thought he killed earlier, charging at him with a...was that a dragon on his back?

The Diamond Dog charged the manticore. He flung Spike ahead of him to distract him. Spike clawed at the manticore’s face, moving just fast enough not to be caught, letting the manticore claw himself in frustration. The Diamond Dog, in the meantime, started clawing at the Manticore’s stomach, following the lines of an earlier scratch. He eventually broke it and ripped it open as far as he could, draining the manticore of life. The Diamond Dog stepped back, far away from the manticore as it fell to the ground, dead. Spike hopped off and ran over to Link.

Link lay as if lifeless where he was thrown. His ribcage was crushed, 3 of his legs were broken. Spike produced a red liquid out of his storage and fed it to Link. Link immediately felt better, a warm, happy feeling floating across him. He felt his ribcage mend together, his legs conjoin, and his head reform. Link slowly stood up on his own as Spike handed him his sword. Link nodded to him, a major appreciation. Spike simply smiled as looked at the Diamond Dog.

“Elixir of life! Old hag in Ponyville sells it!” He said. “ But first, we thank you! Come! See the chief!”

Link followed the Diamond Dog out of the caverns back toward the Chief’s quarters. The diamond Dog proceeded to tell the Chief about Link’s heroism, recalling the story, never once mentioning the Diamond Dog’s involvement in killing the manticore. Link thought this was peculiar.

“So, you have destroyed the beast?” Link nodded. “So it was a manticore...” He said, trailing off. “I was not expecting you to complete this job, honestly. I misplaced my faith in you. We are forever in your debt.” He said, reaching for a large, bright red stone behind him. “For that, we trust you with our spiritual stone. I have a feeling it will be in the right hands.” He said, facing Link. “You will forever be passed down in history. We owe our lives to you. Thank you.”

And with that, Link and Spike headed down the mountain, down towards Ponyville to stock up on the red elixir.

“Wait!” Shouted a voice from behind him. It was the Diamond Dog from before.

“I didn’t tell Chief about what I did, no. You were real hero, you were.” He said, smiling. “We can be brothers, yes?”

Link nodded and the Diamond Dog smiled, running off back towards his underground abode. And with that, Link and Spike actually left the mountain towards Ponyville.