• ...
4
 20
 2,228

The Diamond Dogs

As Link rolled back into Ponyville, he was pestered by that Pink Pony with the masks again.

“Please, sir...” She started “Take a mask...it’s free...but if you sell it, be sure to bring it back to me...”

Selling masks? Why not. He had a feeling it wouldn’t be the only largely insignificant thing he’d be doing that would get him somewhere. She hoofed him the mask, a large, white mask with a faint resemblance to bunnies.

“That is Angel’s Mask...It is a favorite amongst children...” She said. And with that, Link left her to her to her business and traveled to the gate.

“Halt! Who...oh, it’s you.” Said the guard. “Did you come back with permission, kid?”

Link pulled out his ocarina and started playing the song Rarity taught him.

“Oh...the Royal Family Etude...” Said the guard. “Only the Royal family knows that...I didn’t recognize you, colt. Please, come on through. I’ll tell my son you said hello.”

The gates soon opened and Link trotted upward to Brokeback Mountain.

As Link strode up the mountain, several giant spiders attacked him. Not sure what the best thing to do was, he slashed at them with his sword until they all disappeared, from which he collected assorted goodies, including bits. He wasn’t sure why creatures would be dropping bits, but he accepted it and put them in his wallet.

Soon, he strode up towards towards the Diamond Dog’s domain. As far as he could tell, anyway. There were several giant holes in the ground, but one large, central hole from which anypony could get in as well. Link decided to try his luck there and hop in.

Link was suddenly sliding down a dirt path, unable to control himself. Spike was screaming at the top of his lungs like a little filly. Link was sure he felt some moisture after that.

Link and Spike soon crash-landed onto some hard ground, toppling over each other.

“Ugh, my head...” Complained Spike. Spike did a lot of complaining, and Link didn’t particularly care much for it. As Link pulled himself together, he spotted some canine feet. He looked up directly into the face of a Diamond Dog.

“You trying to steal gems! You must go!” He shouted.

“No, we’re not trying to steal your gems...” Said Spike.

“Then what you here for?” He said again.

“We need your spiritual stone...” Said Spike. At this, the Diamond Dog erupted into uncontrolled anger.

“WE CAN’T GIVE THAT UP, NO! IT IS OUR LIFESAKE, YES!!!”

“Calm down.” Said Spike “We need it to save the world, alright?”

“Hmm...” Said the Diamond Dog, contemplating. “Spot, Rover, come here.” At this, two other larger, sturdier Diamond Dogs appeared from the shadows. The first Diamond Dog turned to the other two and started whispering.

“Hey, are you guys done?” Asked Spike. The Diamond Dogs ignored him, whispering amongst themselves once again. Spike groaned and said it again a little louder. Again, he was met with blatant ignorance.

“HEY, LISTEN!!!” Yelled Spike. The Diamond Dogs turned around, a rather annoyed look on their face. Their under eyelid was twitching.

“Tell little one to shut up! We are conferring for options!” Said the leader. Spike groaned and settled down, defeated. Soon afterwards the Diamond Dogs turned to face Link.

“We may have worked out deal, yes? You meet with Cheif, Yes! Follow me!”

Link followed the head Diamond Dog through a large, central chamber with well lit interior, past a small corridor filled with large rocks, and into a medium sized room comparative to what he had seen so far.

“What is your business?” Said the chief. The other Diamond Dogs pleaded their case, whispering in his ear. The chief nodded and shook his head at random points, seemingly agreeing with them for the most part. After their conference was done, he dismissed them, leaving Link and Spike alone with him.

“I hear you need the spiritual stone.” He said. Link nodded and let him continue. “That spiritual stone,” He said, pointing to a red, glowing crystal behind him. “Is the pride of our community. We cannot just give it away, you see. We need you to do something for us.” Link put a hoof over Spike’s mouth before he blabbed off about how much work it would be. Link signified he was listening, and the chief continued. “Diamond Dog cavern, our main source of food and gems, recently came under infestation by a rather large, frightening creature. We sent our greatest warrior in there...but he did not return. We fear the worst. If you can go into Diamond Dog cavern and slay this beast, and see if our warrior is alive, we will give you the spiritual stone.”

Link nodded, assuring the chief he would take care of it. The chief has a shocked look on his face. He wasn’t expecting that from this earth pony. Yet, he undertook the job. “The entrance is also blocked by a large boulder. You will need to use these” He said, handing Link some bombs. “to blow up the rock. Good luck in there.” The chief turned his back to Link. “Feel free to join us for dinner.” He said. “The least we can do is feed you before you die.”

Link declined the offer and instead trotted out of the hole towards Diamond Dog cavern, obviously the one with the huge boulder in front of it. Link pulled 2 bombs from his storage place, lit them, and ran away from the blast radius. The rock exploded into several tiny bits, revealing a large hole in the side of Brokeback Mountain. A very unfortunate metaphor, but Link trotted inside the hole nonetheless and began searching for the fallen warrior and the terrible Beast.