• Published 25th Oct 2023
  • 627 Views, 516 Comments

Kingdom Hearts: The World's Reluctant Heroes - Blackdrag-rose



Sombra, Fluttershy, and Radiant find themselves in a strange world and join Sora, Donald, and Goofy in their quest to find their missing friends, unaware of the true evil lurking in the darkness.

  • ...
4
 516
 627

PreviousChapters Next
Heartless: Terrible Disaster

After Donald got over the fact that he wasn't allowed to have any of Sombra's delicious desserts for an entire year, and Sora helped him up to show he accepted his earlier apology, the group studied the area that was around them, allowing them to confirm that the Heartless door was the way forward. Unfortunately it didn't look like any of the pieces were nearby, where their only path was to head into the other door, leading into a library that had hundreds, if not thousands, of books that were full of information on a number of different subjects, something Sombra was interested in. She also discovered a few holes in the shelves, as in certain tomes were missing and she suspected that they were important to rearranging the whole place, to open the way forward and potentially find one of the door key fragments, starting with a red tome that was laying on the floor. It happened to go into the shelf in front of them and they watched that the entire shelf moved to the right, revealing the way to a curved staircase that was connected to the upper level, though it also revealed a reading area that Sora looked at for a few seconds before following everyone else.

Radiant found something else that was interesting, the few pillars that were in the library seemed to have areas that one could rotate, causing them to rotate one on the upper level as they noticed that it had a chest for them to open, though it did make everyone check the others, just in case they had a tome in their hidden compartments.

While they did that Sombra, Radiant, Fluttershy found a couple of tomes that were scattered all over the library, though two of them just handed them over to the third member of their trio, Sombra to be exact, where she caused them to float in the air near her as she tracked down all of their resting places. Sora's group watched as she tracked down where each book was supposed to placed, observed as the library shifted before their eyes as shelves moved accordingly, until she found a purple book in a private reading area that opened a hidden passage on the upper level. Everyone quickly gathered around for a couple of seconds before following her into the opening, revealing that it brought them to an area that had a number of levels, openings, and lift crystals, like it was a lift stop of some kind, though the crystal in front of them called a lift that teleported them onto it and moved up through an opening. The lift brought them outside, to an area that none of them had been in before, and continued along the exterior of the castle before entering through another opening, one that brought them to an area that seemed to go nowhere else, and the chest that was there was already being looted by Squeak, causing the little rabbit to jump down to Fluttershy for a moment.

Sombra had to admit that Squeak was a great member of the team, even if the rabbit didn't fight, and it wasn't long before it disappeared once more, heading off to find more treasure to collect for the group, causing them to head back down to the hidden lift stop and the library.

Upon their return to the library the group headed through a door that was unlocked by tapping a button that happened to be revealed thanks to Sombra moving the shelves around, revealing an upper area that didn't seem to go anywhere at all, but there was a lot for them to tamper with. There was a statue with a bull head that Beast pushed over the ledge, which fell to the lower level and shattered into dust, leaving behind a segment of the door key behind, which Fluttershy quickly collected by flying down to where it landed so she could pick it up. While she did that the others found a number of unlit candles they could light with their fire spells, causing the brazier in the central section of the floor, separated from the rest thanks to the circular gap between the walkway and the center, to disperse and reveal another segment. Radiant found a third one when she spotted a boar head statue with a notice that it wanted to see their 'smashing power', though when she broke the pot next to it the stone moved into the floor and caused the fountain to turn on, revealing the third piece in the process.

The fourth and final piece was located in a chest that appeared after Goofy moved a statue to the side, though they found it on the lower floor, but with all four fragments in hand they approached the Heartless door, slipped the pieces into the slots, and opened the door before moving forward once more.

Such a thing brought them to another section of the lift stop, with a Defender guarding the area, though they tore right through it and Sombra snatched the heart as they headed outside, onto a walkway that had stairs and seemed to be the way to head upwards. In addition to that Sora spotted two new Heartless, a short wizard looking one, due to the fact that it was wearing robes and carried a wand, while the other seemed to be a wyvern, a dragon-like Heartless where the arms were merged with the wings, and they were named as such. Sombra was more interested in the Wizards, due to the fact that they had magic of their own and that meant that she could get more points to her magic if she absorbed their hearts, since all of the Heartless of Hollow Bastion were stronger than the others they had fought so far. The Wyverns were also an interesting addition to what they had to fight, as they could fly around and use their speed to their advantage, but they were no match for Beast, who jumped onto their backs and hurled them at the walls near the group, allowing Sora or the others to take them down.

At the end of the path the group discovered two more lift crystals, one activating one somewhere else while the other just warped them onto it, allowing them to find that it was a larger lift that could be an arena, before it started to move over to the other side of the castle, though none of them were surprised by what happened next.

"More Heartless, of course." Sombra commented, as a number of enemies popped into existence around them and she struck down some of the Wizards that happened to be part of the foes that wanted them dead, letting Sora, Radiant, and all of the others to deal with the remainder of the Heartless, allowing her to add more and more hearts to her collection, even if she hadn't absorbed any for a long time.

With their combined power none of the Heartless were able to overcome them, allowing the lift to reach the other side of the castle and warp them into an area that didn't have any enemies, like a reprieve from fighting, before finding their way into another portion of the lift stop and out to yet another lift crystal. That one brought them up to yet another level that had a single crystal that moved half of a large cube into position, likely part of another section of the path, which was the moment that they entered yet another portion of the lift stop and fought a few more Heartless. Sombra was sure that the lift stop had been designed to annoy intruders, in case someone dared to invade this world to challenge Maleficent, and it was partly working due to the sheer number of times that they had to go back into another portion of it, but she forced herself to remain calm, as rage would only lead to disaster. The end of the latest visit to the lift stop brought them out to an area that was on the other side of the cube, with a lift crystal that lowered the other half into position so they could use the altered cube as steps, causing them to tear through some Darkballs and Wyverns in the process as the group quickly made their way up to the upper level once more.

That, at long last, brought them to an area that seemed important, a dark area that must have been used for meetings for the dark group that had been messing with all of the other worlds the group had been through, and, sure enough, they found Maleficent standing near the back of the chamber.

"So, you have finally arrived... but I'm afraid that you are far too late." Maleficent stated, her tone revealing that she was of the opinion that her plans were complete and there was nothing they could do to bring them down, not that anyone even cared since it was clear that something had gone wrong, otherwise she wouldn't have come to stall them, "Any moment now, the final Keyhole will be unsealed and this world will be plunged into Darkness. It is unstoppable... nothing you do will prevent this world's ultimate fate."

"You say that, but your accomplices thought the same thing and still failed to stop us." Sombra replied, where she stepped forward and held her scythe at the ready as everyone else readied themselves, presenting seven warriors to their foe, each of whom were ready to kick her down, save Kairi, and stop her madness, before worrying about Ansem, "Honestly, what makes you think we can't take you?"

"You simple fool! Your disrespect will cost you greatly!" Maleficent remarked, though as she prepared herself for battle the group found that Ansem, still possessing Riku's body, stepped out of the shadows and joined her, something that seemed to surprise her since she must have given him instructions to do something else, "Riku? What are you doing out here, boy, when I told you to stay behind and guard the Princesses? And what happened to that dark Keyblade you were holding?"

"Relax, as long as you're standing these fools will never reach the Princesses... as for the Keyblade of Hearts, well, I lent it to someone for a few seconds." Ansem answered, telling the group that there was one more foe for them to worry about, one who apparently was an ally of the dark figure that was possessing Riku's body, even though Maleficent herself didn't seem to realize what was up with Riku, or maybe she didn't care, "I just came to watch what happens next."

As everyone wondered what Ansem meant, however, Sombra found herself being pushed forward and turned to look at her companions, to see who would dare to do such a thing at a time like this, before realizing that it was Fluttershy, though in that moment she found a dark Keyblade sticking out of her chest. It was just like what happened to Clayton, the blade was surrounded by dark energy that allowed it to touch her heart, without doing damage to her body, though as she looked at the diagonal nature of the weapon she found a black robed figure on the ledge above the entrance. In that moment she understood what had happened, the robed figure had decided to take her, not Fluttershy, out of the picture and the shy one had gotten in the way, knocking her out of the way and allowing herself to take the blow in her stead, causing Fluttershy to just smile for a moment as her companion sphere lightly landed on the ground. After that she gasped as her body simply fractured, like it was made out of glass, before splitting into two segments of energy, the dark half that contained her heart forming a Shadow with pink eyes while parts of it's body were yellow instead of black, plus it seemed scared, while the white half, her body, simply vanished into thin air.

Ansem chuckled for a moment as he called his dark Keyblade back to his side, while even Maleficent seemed pleased by this sudden turn of events, though that was when the energy in the air shifted and they found that the shadows around Sombra seemed to be vibrating for some odd reason, causing Radiant to panic immediately.

"No, Sombra, don't!" Radiant stated, though as she stepped forward the dark energy formed a barrier between her, not to mention Sora's group since they were standing near her, and Sombra, though it was Sombra she was worried about since she could tell that the darkness inside her, the hatred she had been trying to balance since starting this journey, was now surging to the surface with a new target in her eyes.

Instead of responding Sombra was engulfed in a pillar of dark energy that shook the entire chamber, where she gave an order to the hearts she had collected so far, everything but the heart fragments was to be absorbed into her power, which caused the dark energy to swell as her power rose to new heights. A few seconds later the dark energy turned into pure shadows as they pulled back, revealing that Sombra was now wearing an iron suit of armor that perfectly fit her body, one that looked more like something a ruler would wear and not someone who stood on the battlefield. It came complete with a crown that rested behind her horn and seemed to have a section that added protection to it, so nothing could harm it, and a lush red cape that really made her look like a dark queen, especially with the familiar dark mist that was coming from her eyes and the look that struck fear into her enemies. Sombra held her hand out for a moment and her scythe just twisted before their very eyes, like her dark power was forcing it into another form, where Maleficent found that it shrunk down to the size of a Keyblade, the blade attached to the handle being a dark eerie green color with a purple flame that was wrapped around it.

The guard around the handle looked like a pair of dark feathered wings, while the head of the weapon looked like a smaller version of her scythe's head, almost like a wing itself based on how it was curved towards the ground, and it's chain looked like her eye, the crimson eye with the eerie green around it and surrounded by the dark mist.

"What is that? What are you?" Maleficent asked, though while she refused to show weakness, despite the fact that most of her subordinates were now dead, she could feel something inside her body fearing the dark power that was in front of her and the boy, a power that was far more powerful than what she and the others had seen when they first spotted Sombra and her companions in Traverse Town.

"I am Sombra, Dark Queen of the Crystal Empire, Mistress of Dark Magic, Monarch of Shadows, and more that I don't have time to share," Sombra remarked, where Sora and the others stiffened for a moment, as they could instantly tell that she was darker than before, or more evil as they observed her, something that caused her to swing her dark Keyblade, almost like she was preparing herself for battle, "and this... THIS is my weapon: Final Judgement."

"Please, you think your pathetic excuse for a Keyblade can overcome us?" Ansem remarked, though while he stood still for a moment Radiant noticed something moving in the darkness, racing towards Sombra, but before it could reach her the dark bit was glared at by Sombra, causing it to rush back into the possessed boy, meaning Ansem must have seen her as a far better host and was rejected before even reaching his target.

Sombra disappeared after that, appearing in front of Ansem as she swung her Keyblade and struck him in the chest, which sent him flying through a dark portal the possessed boy created after realizing that he had been hit, before launching herself at Maleficent, who raised her staff above her head to block the attack. Of course it was easy for them to see that she was using her own dark energy to counter the power that Sombra was using, though Radiant knew it wouldn't work, it couldn't, and she was proven right as the tip of Final Judgement slashed through the staff like it was paper and left a diagonal slash mark on Maleficent's body as she was knocked into the wall behind her. Maleficent forced herself to stand for a moment as she summoned her staff, which explained why it seemed so brittle since the new one was perfectly intact, before using her magic to create meteors that she sent right at her foe, causing Sombra to swing her weapon and all of the hazards shattered into pieces in an instant. In the next instant she snapped her left fingers and summoned orbs of shadow that rushed at the dark witch, causing Maleficent to dodge as three slammed into her chest, the rest colliding with the wall behind her and leaving small craters in their wake, though before she could move again Sombra pulled her hand back and magically pulled her opponent towards her.

Such a thing allowed Sombra to spin around as she kicked the dark witch in the side, sending Maleficent flying into part of the nearby wall, smashing right through an illusion that revealed another portion of the castle to them, a larger chamber that seemed to be the final chamber between them and where the princesses were being held.

Sora, of course, was amazed by this discovery, that Sombra somehow held the power to stand up to Maleficent, who had to be the big bad of this adventure, and yet she was beating her down like it was nothing to her, just a walk in the park as he thought about it, causing him to glance behind them for a moment. The mysterious robed figure had departed right after dealing with Fluttershy, where the odd shadow was resting in Radiant's arms with the critter orb and Squeak acting as company to their friend's heart, meaning they would have to deal with the figure at some point in the future. With that in mind he and the others followed Sombra for a few seconds before discovering that Ansem was near Maleficent, only he stabbed her right in her heart with his dark Keyblade, saying something about 'opening her heart to Darkness', before disappearing once more. Maleficent, of course, was consumed by her own dark energy and transformed before their eyes, becoming a large black scaled dragon that seemed far stronger than the witch on her own, like Ansem had awakened her true darkness and gifted her some additional power to bring down her foe.

Sombra, on the other hand, wasn't too impressed as she leapt around the chamber they were in, using her Keyblade as a means to block all of the incoming claw attacks while Maleficent attacked like she was a wild animal, which she might be as Radiant and the others watched the fight. There was another thing they were able to determine as the seconds went by, and that was the fact that Sombra was far faster than any of them had thought she'd be, her defenses seemed to be on a whole new level, and her attacks, the melee ones at least, seemed to do more damage than before, cutting into both her foe and the area as she swung her weapon. Radiant found that Sombra didn't seem to be interested in using any of her magic, rather it seemed like when she used her spells it was to counter or show Maleficent just how outmatched the witch really was right now, something that had to be annoying the dragon as she tried, in vain, to do any damage to her foe. When Maleficent opened her mouth, showing them that she was charging her flames into a powerful blast that could likely melt some of the area, Sombra smiled as shadowy chains burst out of the shadows and wrapped around her mouth, sealing it shut, while some chained her body and wings to the floor, causing her attack to detonate inside the beast's body, just as Sombra intended.

The resulting blast, and the surge of flame that erupted from Maleficent's body, reduced the dark witch to a pile of ash that seemed to merge with the leftovers of her robe, causing Sombra to teleport it outside the castle so the wind could take it and prevent her from returning, if that was in the witch's powers.

"Sombra... are you alright?" Radiant asked, because this event had been the very thing she had been terrified of when they first started this adventure, the return of the dark being that Sombra was known for back home, fully empowered by the skill the World had granted her before everyone was brought to Traverse Town.

"No... not until Riku is safe, Kairi is recovered, Ansem's schemes are stopped, and Fluttershy is restored." Sombra replied, allowing the others to see that she was still annoyed by what just happened to their group, which was just breaking more and more as time went on, causing her to growl for a moment as a new opening revealed itself to them, one that seemed to head deeper into the castle, "Come. The end of our quest is within our grasp."

Radiant had no idea what was going through Sombra's mind right now, but there was little they could do but follow her into the opening and track down Ansem, to put this adventure to an end so they could focus on Fluttershy, causing her to pet the scared creature in her arms as she wondered what the future held for them and their friends.


Vexen had been pacing as he looked at the screens detailing everything that was going on down on Hollow Bastion, where he knew Xigbar was enacting their plan to deal with the thorn in their side, because he had been watching him on one of the screens that were in front of him. He now fully understood what Xigbar had been talking about, he wanted to deal with Fluttershy while her defenses were down and had chosen the best chance to do so, by targeting another member of her group, figuring that she would throw herself into the line of fire to save them. It was a good plan, because their target and her friends would be busy focusing on Maleficent, unaware of the danger that happened to be closing in on them, though even with the possessed boy giving them a hint that something was coming, and revealing that he lent his weapon to a 'friend', it was too late for them to stop Xigbar's plan. In the end Vexen's worries had been unfounded, Fluttershy got right in the way of the attack and lost her heart, the shrouded heart turning into a unique Heartless, a rather weak one despite the fact that she should have had terrible power, while her body disappeared.

With that discovery in mind Vexen tapped some of the buttons nearby and ran a scan for any new Nobodies that might have been formed, ones worthy to join the Organization, and his readings indicated that there was one in Twilight Town, something he was looking at while Xigbar stepped out of a Dark Corridor and pulled his hood back.

"I couldn't have planned that any better than that." Xigbar remarked, where he stepped forward and looked at the screen that was displaying what was going on inside the chamber he had left everyone in, even though he was surprised by the form that Fluttershy's Heartless had taken, as it was pitiful in comparison to Vexen's notes on the matter, "There, our little heart stealer should be dealt with. I take it her Nobody has formed somewhere?"

"Yes, though she's in Twilight Town for some reason. I will inform..." Vexen started to say, though in that moment both he and Xigbar braced themselves as the ship shook due to a violent pulse of dark energy struck them, one that, based on the screens that were now flashing red warnings, seemed to be coming from Hollow Bastion, where one of his devices was now measuring a dark power that was far beyond anything they had encountered before this point.

Xigbar looked at the screen for a moment as his worst fears were realized, Fluttershy wasn't the person they should have been focused on, rather his instincts were spot on, Sombra was pulsing with a dark energy that was beyond anything he had seen before this point, taking on a form that practically radiated Darkness. What came next only shocked them even more than the transformation, her weapon became a dark Keyblade, there was no other way to describe what they were seeing right now, though Xigbar had to refrain from saying anything about it, as it reminded him of one he had seen back in the past. Sombra's power suddenly surged to a whole new level as she decimated Maleficent, making the dark witch look like she was a complete novice, and even the possessed boy barely stood a chance as he was knocked away easily, as in it took no effort for her to do such a thing. Not even Maleficent's dragon form, unlocked by the possessed boy, gave her an edge over Sombra, the sudden power gap was no joke, especially with how easily she was able to down the dark witch and destroy her with far too much ease, much to their continued shock.

As the group readied themselves for the final battle with the possessed boy, however, Xigbar realized that they had just messed up, Sombra was the one stealing hearts, just like he suspected despite going with Vexen's calculations, and even he could tell that his partner was taken aback by this new discovery.

"Xigbar... you were right to target Sombra. I... I was totally wrong." Vexen managed to say, though while this hurt his pride, or what he assumed was pride, he had to admit that his calculations were totally and completely wrong, Sombra was the one that needed to be eliminated and his partner's actions in targeting her, instead of Fluttershy, had been spot on, even if he gave him bad information, causing him to glance at his new readings, "Sombra is the one we should have focused on, not Fluttershy. We need to tell Lord Xemnas about this development... he might be the only one who can stand before the new power that Sombra possesses."

"...You know, that opinion I fully agree with." Xigbar replied, as their boss, the first of their organization, happened to be the strongest of them all, so it was easy for him to agree with Vexen in this regard, Xemnas might be the only one, out of all of them, that could deal with the figure they were now looking at, causing him to open a new Dark Corridor, because time was of the essence, "I'll go tell him immediately. Maybe we can deal with this problem before anything else happens."

Vexen was surprised that Xigbar was willing to overlook his admission of guilt, that he was willing to even admit that he was wrong on something, but instead of saying anything he nodded his head before Xigbar vanished, causing him to look at the screen as he wondered what the immediate future held in store for them.

PreviousChapters Next