• Published 27th May 2023
  • 1,533 Views, 398 Comments

Digimon Codex - Banshee531



Flash Sentry loves playing Digimon. So when he gets the chance to play a hardcore version, he jumps at the chance. But he soon discovers that Digimon and the Digital World, are more real then he could possibly imagine

  • ...
6
 398
 1,533

PreviousChapters Next
How to be a Digimon

It was another busy day at Codex, where players were busy battling in the arenas, trading with one another, or simply hanging out and enjoying their time together.

At one of the Digi-Ports, two flashes of light appeared from out of them that took shape and transformed into Flash Sentry and Micro Chips. The pair stepped out of the Digi-Port, as their Digimon appeared with them. "Here we are once again," Flash sighed. "Watch out Codex, Flash Sentry is here for another battle!" Many people around him turned to give him a weirded out look, Micro shaking his head.

"You really need to calm down." They began to make their way through the building. "I get you guys are excited for another battle, but you shouldn't let it all go to your head and stop you from thinking. Don't forget, you're still new at this game. Even if you won your first match, you're still a complete newbie. And you've still got a lot to learn about fighting as a Digimon."

"I'm fine," Flash told him. "I got the hang of fighting as Veemon and Flamedramon super quick. I bet I'll get the hang of whichever Digimon I become in this fight." Veemon cheered in agreement, Micro and Tentomon sighing.

Flash and Veemon looked ready to run towards the Rookie Stadium. At the same time, Flash took out his Digivice. Said device was no longer the dull gray colour it had been when Flash first got it. Now it was the same shade of blue as Veemon, Flash glad Micro had shown him how to change the colour in the real and virtual world.

He looked over his many decks and smiled, wondering which one he should dominate the Rookie Stadium in. But before they could rush off, Micro spotted someone that caught his attention.

"Sandal!" Flash and Veemon turned to see him run towards a tall and bulky teen, who had yellow skin and green dreads under a beanie hat.

The teen turned to Micro and smirked, "hey little man!" He smacked Micro on the back, the teen's eyes going wide at the force of it. "How ya'h bin?" He asked, Micro smiling at him.

"I'm fine," he pushed his glasses up. "What about you? I haven't seen you around Codex in a while."

"Yeah," the teen smirked, "been out in the Digital World doing some super special training. Totally worth it, since I'm now even more one with our Digital brethren." As he said that, Flash stepped up to him. "Who's your friend? And who's the super cool looking Digimon he's hanging with?"

"Oh," Micro turned to the blue haired rocker. "This is Flash Sentry. He's just started here in Codex. And the Digimon beside him is his partner, Veemon." He then gestured to the bulky teen, "Flash, this is Sandalwood. He's a really strong player here in Codex."

"Wow," Sandalwood smirked. "A newbie with a partner. Talk about impressive. I was here for a month before I found my partner." Flash wondered what he was talking about, but then noticed a Digimon hiding behind Sandal's leg. It was a Veemon-sized Digimon, that looked mostly like a child made out of wood.

Its head and body were completely fused with no neck between them, his head being slightly rounder than the rest of his body with red leaves circling just beneath it where the neck should be to form a collar. His body was also covered in moss that gave him the appearance of wearing clothes, the moss forming a long sleeved jumper and knee-high boots. Instead of feet, he had three red leaves sticking out the front of each foot whilst his hands had three root-like fingers sticking out each one. Another root-like appendage was sticking out of his rear, giving him the appearance of having a tail.

Finally, from out of the top of his head, a large red leaf could be seen that curled around the back of his head to look like a pony tail.

Sandal moved so the Digimon could be seen, "this here's Mangoramon. My number one Digimon." Flash smirked as he crouched down.

"Hey," he held out a hand, "nice to meet you."

Mangoramon stared at him for a moment, then held out his hand to shake Flash's. "Hi," he smiled, "nice to meet you." As they shook hands, Flash suddenly got a whiff of something coming off his leaf. The smell was that of a red apple, or something similar to it.

Veemon stepped forward, "what's up?" He held out a fist, Mangoramon doing the same before they bumped fists.

"Never seen a Digimon like him before," Sandalwood looked impressed. "Where'd you pick him up?"

"Flash found him under a Digimental," Micro explained. "Actually, it's kind of a tale." The six all found an empty table and Flash began to tell his story, Sandal listening intently with the occasional 'wow' and 'righteous' interruption.

"Sounds like you had one heck of a journey, man."

"Yeah," Flash nodded, "but it was worth it. I got to meet Veemon, get a super cool Digimental and a tone of Digidollars that I was able to use to get a bunch of Digivolutions." He cracked his knuckles, "now I'm ready to take Codex by storm."

"Wow, little man." Sandal tried to calm him down, "you might have a tough Digimon, but it takes more then that to be strong here in Codex. How many times have you battled?"

"Just once, but I beat him."

"Barely," Micro pointed out.

"Anyway. It was weird being a Digimon at first, but I got used to it and now I can fight anyone I go up against."

"You were only a Digimon once?" Sandal repeated, Flash and Veemon nodding. "Well, then you're definitely not ready to become the best player in Codex." Flash raised an eyebrow, "you know what it's like to be a Digimon. But do you know what it means to be a Digimon."

"What?"

"You can move in their bodies, use their special attacks and fight. But have you truly synchronised with Veemon and his evolution?" Flash had no idea what he meant by that. "You need to take some time to truly become one with your Digimon. To learn and understand him. To figure out what it truly means...to be a Digimon."

"I have no idea what you're talking about," Flash told him.

"Me neither," Veemon nodded. "I was there when Flash battled Gotsumon and he was great as me."

"Then you need to learn what it means to be human," Mangoramon stated. "It's only when the two of you truly understand one another, that you'll be able to beat anyone you come across."

"What does that even mean?" Veemon asked, Flash frowning.

"I think he's just trying to psych us out," Flash stated as he stood up. "I know what it means to be a Digimon and if you don't think so, then let's battle. My first Rookie match can be beating you!"

Sandalwood smirked. "Sorry, can't. I'm not a Rookie." Flash was surprised by this.

"Sandalwood's a Champion Level player," Micro explained. "Been so for about a month." Sandalwood nodded, whilst Flash frowned at not getting to battle this guy. "But there is a way you can battle him." Flash and Veemon raised an eyebrow, as Micro, Sandal and their Digimon got up.

They all headed out of the main building and made their way towards one of the stadiums. This particular Stadium was the largest one there was, Flash expecting it to be the Mega Level Stadium. But instead, he was surprised to see Codex players of all ages at it, some with Digimon and others without it.

As they approached, Flash spotted a screen on the outside of the stadium showing a battle that was just starting. It had an Agumon facing a Dracomon, with the Agumon having three securities whilst the Dracomon had five. "This is the Beta-Stadium," Micro explained. "Here, any player of any rank can fight another player of any rank."

"Really?" Flash was surprised by this, whilst Veemon scratched his head.

"If this is here, why have the other Stadiums split between Levels?"

Tentomon turned to him. "These matches don't count towards a player's Rank. You could win a hundred matches in here and not rise any higher in the ranking."

Micro nodded. "This stadium's for practising with new Digimon, playing against friends that are a higher level than you and whatever else you can think of that you don't wanna do in an important match."

"Great," Flash smirked, "then let's battle."

"Glad to," Sandalwood smirked before heading towards the reception desk. Flash was about to follow, but Micro put a hand on his shoulder.

"Just be careful. Sandal looks like a laid back guy, but he gets super serious in battle. Plus, he's a higher Level then you. That means he'll have more Security."

"Maybe," Flash stepped away, "but he's never faced a Veemon and all his awesome Evolutions before. I'll be fine." He headed over to the desk, as Micro sighed.

"Well, he'll have to learn the hard way." He and Tentomon moved over to an empty table, which had a computer on it that he could watch the match from.

"Alright," Sandalwood smirked. "I got us the battle room. Let's go." Flash nodded and followed him towards the room in question, both of them stepping inside with Flash seeing it was just like the In-Training stadium.

The pair locked their Digivices into the podiums and began building their decks.

Flash looked over the three decks he had built so far, then glanced at Sandalwood. Since his partner appeared to be a plant, it meant he was of the plant attribute. That meant Flash's best bet was to use Flamedramon and BurningGreymon. So, he selected that deck.

Once that was done, the voice spoke up. "Sandalwood. You have been randomly selected to choose the battlefield you would like to use." Sandal smirked as he opened his locations folder and choose where he wished to fight. "Razor Rocklands has been selected." Flash was surprised, since he had expected Sandal to pick a forest area where his Digimon would have an advantage. Had Flash been wrong about him picking his partner? "When both players are ready, hit the start button."

"Aww yeah!" Sandalwood slammed the button, "let's get digital!" In a flash of light, he and Mangoramon suddenly merged into the Rookie.

'He chose his partner. But then why'd he pick a rock landscape?'

"Flash?" Veemon asked, wondering why he wasn't starting.

"Oh!" Flash hit the button, "let's get digital!" He and Veemon merged together and as they did, the battle started as the room was filled with light.


Outside, Micro and Tentomon were watching the battle as it began.

The field shown was a large grassy area, with large rocks sticking out of the ground that all appeared sharp and dangerous. "That's just like Sandal," Micro smirked. "Picking an environment his Digimon wouldn't usually be seen in." Tentomon nodded in agreement.

"Flash seemed a little thrown off. I hope he's able to get his head back in the game before Sandalwood can get to much of an advantage against him." As he said that, the two Digimon appeared and Micro got a look at Mangoramon's info.

Name: Mangoramon
Level: Rookie
Type: Data
Attribute: Plant
Species: Vegetation
Family: Nature Spirits, Jungle Troopers

Micro brought up the plant's stats and smirked. "Looks like that training's really paid off. Mangoramon's Attack and Speed are way higher then the last time we saw them." He looked up, as Flash and Veemon looked around. "Don't let him throw you off your game."


Flash stared at the area and was amazed by how different it looked from the Brave Forest. But that still didn't explain why Sandal picked it.

"Maybe there's a hidden spot around here that makes Mangoramon super tough."

"Flash!" Veemon cried, "you gotta focus. If you don't-" He didn't get to finish as suddenly something came flying towards him. Mangoramon. "Look out!" Flash spun towards it, only to get tackled by the Plant Digimon and knocked against a rock.

"Augh!" He cried, his health dropping.

Veemon: 4-90%
Mangoramon: 5-100%

He quickly pushed Mangoramon off of him and jumped away. He knew he couldn't waste his SP right from the start, so he needed to do some damage against him the old fashioned way. "Charge!" He ran forward and started throwing punches and kicks at the plant Digimon, who ducked and dived as best he could to avoid them.

But one of the punches hit him in the chest, making him flinch.

Veemon: 4-90%
Mangoramon: 5-95%

As Mangoramon jumped back, he pulled some moss off his body. "Now it's time to teach you want it really means to be a Digimon. Moss Pelt!" He threw it towards Veemon, the blue dragon dodging one of them but the second hit him in the face.

"Augh!" He staggered around, as the moss solidified and blinded him.

Veemon: 4-85%
Mangoramon: 5-95%

"I can't see!" Flash cried, trying to pull the moss off of his face. But it was really sticky and refused to budge. "If I can't get this stuff off me-" He didn't get to finish, as Mangoramon attacked with a fist to the chest.

Veemon: 4-80%
Mangoramon: 5-95%

Veemon tried to throw a punch at the spot that had hit him, but the attack missed. "Cold!" He heard Mangoramon state, making him spin around and punch again, "colder!" He threw another punch and didn't hit a thing. "Oh, dude, you're totally freezing!"

"Raaah!" Veemon started throwing wild punches in every direction, completely missing each and every time. He stopped after getting tired, only to then hear footsteps behind him. "Huh?" He looked around, only to feel himself getting punched. "Augh!" Several more punches quickly landed on him, knocking him backwards as his life points dropped.

Veemon: 4-55%
Mangoramon: 5-95%

"Too bad, bro." Veemon turned towards the voice. "If you can't become one with your Digimon, you don't stand a chance in a real battle." Flash still had no idea what he was talking about. He was one with Veemon, so what was Sandalwood trying to teach him.

It was then that he suddenly got a whiff of something up his nose. "Huh?" He turned to the smell and realised it was the smell of an apple. "Wait!" He remembered that smell. The same smell the first met Mangoramon. "Why couldn't I smell that before?" Last time, he had had to be right next to the leaf to smell it.

The smell got closer and Flash spun around, swinging his fist around wildly. And he suddenly felt the punch connect with something hard, followed by a cry of pain coming from Mangoramon.

Veemon: 4-55%
Mangoramon: 5-90%

He could hear Mangoramon stagger around and moan in pain, the smell getting weaker as he moved away. "Huh," Mangoramon then said, "was that luck or did you finally figure out how to be one with your Digimon?"

"I was able to smell you coming," Veemon replied. "But why? Did you do something to make that apple smell stronger?"

"Nope," Mangoramon replied. "But you're on the right track. Now let's see if you can keep it up. Bloom-Arang!" To everyone who wasn't blind, Mangoramon swung his head around and the leaf atop it shot off. It spun like a boomerang, moving at high speed and morphing into a buzzsaw-like weapon that shot towards Veemon.

The blue dragon had no idea what was happening, but as he stood there he heard the sound of something flying closer and closer. His instincts kicked in and he leapt away, the attack flying passed him and just catching his shoulder. "Augh!"

Veemon: 4-50%
Mangoramon: 5-90%

He staggered around and felt himself step on something sharp, making him cry out as he took more damage.

Veemon: 4-45%
Mangoramon: 5-90%

Flash really did not like having his sight gone. As his foot stopped hurting, he could smell the apple scent again and tried to best to avoid a punch. The smell came from his right, so he shifted left and felt something pass by his face. "Now you're getting it!" Mangoramon stated. "Remember, you're not human right now."

"I'm not human?" Flash replied, as he let that info sink it. Then, he realised what Sandal had been trying to say before. "I'm a Digimon." He took a deep breath and simply listened, only now realising he could hear way better then he could when he was human. And it also explained why he could smell the apple scent easier now. Being a Digimon meant his sense of smell was stronger. "That's what he was trying to say. Being one with my Digimon isn't just about being in the same body. It's about using everything this body can use to my advantage."

"Sorry Flash," Veemon told him. "I didn't realise your sense of smell and hearing were weaker than mine."

"It's okay, bud. I should have realised my senses would be heightened in this new form." At that moment, a strong whoft of apple filled the air. Flash quickly leapt back, barely avoiding a punch, as he built up power in his mouth. Spitting the energy into his hand, he clutched it as he listened and sniffed. "There. Vee-Shot!" He threw the orb towards the sound of footprints and managed to hit Mangoramon.

"GYAH!" He cried, the blast doing serious damage to him.

Veemon: 4-45%
Mangoramon: 5-40%

Veemon cheered at the sound of Mangoramon being hit. But despite being able to locate him through sound and smell, he was still lacking his sight. As such, he didn't notice he had accidently moved over to a small cliff.

"WOW!" He screamed, as he fell over the edge and slammed into a rock on the way down. He cried out with every rock he hit, until he finally reached the bottom.

Veemon: 4-20%
Mangoramon: 5-40%

"Ow," he moaned as he clutched his head. As he picked himself up, he heard a sound and looked. That sound was of rushing water, something that made him gasp as he crawled towards it. He followed the sound until he face planted a rock, "ow!" He clutched his head and reached out, feeling the rock.

Then, he followed said rock until he reached the source of the sound. A spring of some kind.

He quickly filled his hands with water and used them to wash away the moss. The sticky substance finally came off and he was able to open his eyes, allowing him to see the water was coming out of the rock and forming a small stream. It was a small stream and the sound was so weak, he never would have heard it as a human. Luckily, he wasn't human.

"Great," Flash looked around to try and see if he could spot Sandalwood. But he was nowhere in sight. "He's gotta be around he somewhere."

"Maybe we should use our battle gear to fly up," Veemon suggested. Flash wasn't sure if he wanted to waste the battle gear like that. But before he could come to a decision, he heard the familiar whistling sound.

He spun around, just in time to see a trio of spinning leaves heading straight for him. "Wow!" He tried to leap away, but wasn't able to and the leaves slammed into him. "Augh!" He cried, his security breaking with the second impact whilst the third knocked his next one down some more.

Veemon: 3-85%
Mangoramon: 5-40%

Mangoramon leapt down from a rock and smirked at Veemon, who was picking himself up. "Glad to see you've learned to become one with your Digimon. But that just means I can go all our against you." He pulled off more moss and threw it, "Moss Pelt!" The green moss balls flew towards Veemon, who leapt around doing several jumps and rolls to avoid them.

"Hey!" Flash turned to him, as he fired three more Bloom-Arangs att him. "Way to waste your SP!" He dodged one of them, got hit by a second and ducked behind a rock to protect himself from the third.

Veemon: 3-70%
Mangoramon: 5-40%

"You're right," Mangoramon ran over to another rock. "it would be dumb to use all my SP at once. If I hadn't seen this on the way down." Veemon looked around and saw Mangoramon climbing up the rock, the Rookie looking up and seeing something at the top of it. A blue coin with SP on it.

"Don't tell me." Mangoramon reached it and crushed the coin in his hands, the blue energy flying into him and likely restoring his SP. "How many other coins are there?" As he asked that, he noticed something else. His Digivolution Gauge was getting close to being filled. "Yes!" He leapt out at of the rock and spat energy into his hand. "Vee-Shot!" He threw it at Mangoramon, slamming into him and knocking him flying off the rock.

Veemon: 3-70%
Mangoramon: 5-0%

He hit the ground, as Veemon charged at him. He quickly fired another Vee-Shot, but this one Mangoramon rolled away from before swinging his leaf around. "Bloom-Arang!" The leaf shot towards Flash, who was trying to form a Vee-Shot. But it slammed into him and caused him to send the attack flying into the air.

Veemon: 3-55%
Mangoramon: 4-100%

"Wow!" The Veemon rolled backwards as the attack knocked him backwards. He eventually came to a stop and pushed himself back up, as his Digivolution Gauge reached the maximum. "Yes!" He took a deep breath, "time to Digivolve!" He summoned the Digimental and it burst into flames, surrounding his body and making Mangoramon's eyes go wide. "Veemon, Armor Digivolve to..." He grew and when the flames extinguished, he stood above the plant Digimon ready to do some damage. "Flamedramon, the Fire of Courage!"

"Wow," Mangoramon was looking amazed, "nice look man. Armor Digimon are so cool. Wish Mangoramon had one." Flamedramon then rushed at him, ready to slash the plant with his claws. "Wow!" He pulled out some moss and threw it, "Moss Pelt!"

Flamedramon wasn't gonna let himself get blinded again, so he quickly swung his claws around and slashed away the moss before it could hit him. He then leapt towards Mongoramon as his claws glowed, "Express Claw!" He slashed at him, but Mongoramon managed to dodge the attack before running over to a nearby rock. "You can't run forever!"

"Don't have to bro!" Mongoramon stated. "Just long enough to find a way to beat you." But as he ran, Flamedramon focused on the Rookie and ignited his claws.

"Fire Rocket!" He launched a trio of flaming projectiles towards Mongoramon, who leapt up into the air as one of the missiles slammed into the ground and made it explode. The embers slammed into his back, doing a bit of damage.

Flamedramon: 3-55%
Mangoramon: 4-95%

Mangoramon landed and swung his head around. "Bloom-Arang!" The leaf shot up towards a rock that was sticking out of the cliff. Flamedramon wondered what he was doing, but shrugged it off and leapt into the air.

"Now I've got you!" He fell towards the ground and ignited his gauntlet, "Flame Fist!" Mangoramon remained where he was and then, at the last second, he leapt backwards as he pulled off some moss.

"Moss Pelt!" He threw it, not at Flamedramon but at the ground. Flamedramon thought he had gone nuts and slashed at him, managing to get the tip of his flaming claw to hit him. "Augh!"

Flamedramon: 3-55%
Mangoramon: 4-80%

Flamedramon smirked as he landed, whilst Mangoramon staggered backwards and clutched his chest. "Sorry man," Flamedramon chuckled. "But against a red hot fire Digimon, plant types like you don't stand a chance."

Mongoramon smirked, "maybe...but there are ways to beat a Digimon that don't involve type match-ups." Flamedramon looked confused, but then he tried to move and found his foot was stuck.

"Huh?" He looked down, but couldn't see anything that looked like it was trapping his foot. Then he remembered Mangoramon throwing something onto the ground. "Your moss!"

"That's right!" Mangoramon smirked, "and that makes you the perfect target." He fired another Bloom-Arang and shot it up towards the same rock he had attacked earlier, the leaf slamming into it and causing the rock to break off of the cliff.

Flamedramon's eyes went wide, as the rock began to fall towards him. "What!?" He pulled on his foot, but it still wouldn't budge. He then tried to blast the rock with his Fire Rocket, but the flames bounced off it without any damage.

Finally, the rock smashed into him and broke apart. He screamed as he was buried alive, Mangoramon smirking as he ran away.


"Ooh," Micro looked away from the fight, then turned back when he saw Flamedramon's health bar drop down.

Flamedramon: 3-5%
Mangoramon: 4-80%

"Oh my," Tentomon frowned. "That did some serious damage. I guess that's Sandal and Mangoramon's style. Using the field to their advantage." Micro nodded, thinking the exact same thing.

"Yeah. He knew Flash would likely use a Fire Digimon to counter his Plant Attribute, so he put them in a field that could do damage to Flamedramon. Flash should be lucky he didn't put them in a water field, though I guess that would also cause problems for Sandal as well." He watched, as the rock pile began to shift and move.


Flamedramon pulled himself free of the rocks, Flash groaning inside his head.

"I can't believe we fell for such an obvious trick!" He had managed to get his foot unstuck from the moss, but it had already done his job. They had taken some serious damage and if Flash didn't find a way to turn the tables soon, he was gonna be in serious trouble.

"We've gotta find him and blast him!" Veemon cried, "the guy's tricky but he's still weak to fire attack. We gotta roast him."

"Maybe," Flash leapt off the rock pile and tried to find Mangoramon. He had to be careful, since it was clear Sandalwood knew this field like the back of his hand.

They slowly made their way through the field of large rocks, all the while trying to once again become more intune with his Digimon senses. They were gonna take a while to get the hang of, but he was already starting to understand how far he could hear, see and smell.

Then, as he made his way passed a rock, he heard movement coming from above and looked straight up. "Bonzai!" Mangoramon leapt down and slammed his feet into Flamedramon's chest, making him stagger back and slam into another rock.

Flamedramon: 3-0%
Mangoramon: 4-80%

The Armor Digimon flinched, but quickly ignited his claws. "Fire Rocket!" He launched the flaming projectiles straight at Mangoramon, who was still reeling back after tackling Flamedramon. As such, he couldn't escape as the attacks rushed towards him.

"AUGH!" He cried, as one struck him right on the chest and did major damage.

Flamedramon: 2-100%
Mangoramon: 4-50%

As he flew back, the other two Fire Rockets exploded against rocks and the embers flew everywhere. Mangoramon flinched as some of them hit him as he flew back, then slammed into one of the rocks behind him.

Flamedramon: 2-100%
Mangoramon: 4-35%

As Mangoramon fell to the ground, Flamedramon pushed himself off the rock and walked towards him. Flash saw his SP was pretty low, so he would need to do some hand to hand fighting until it went back up or he could find a coin. But as he got close, Mangoramon pushed himself up and smirked.

"Almost time!" He pulled several pieces of moss off his body, "Moss Barrage!" He launched the moss balls at Flamedramon, who used his claws to slash most of them away. Three managed to hit him, doing only five points of damage. His opponent then swung his head around, "Bloom-Arang!" The leaf shot towards Flamedramon and hit his leg, slashing at it.

"Haa!" He hissed, his power going down.

Flamedramon: 2-75%
Mangoramon: 4-35%

"Alright!" Mangoramon smirked, "now the SP's all used up." Flamedramon wondered why he would be happy about that, only to then remember a quick way to refill it. "Let's go!" He then exploded with light before his entire body started growing. "Mangoramon, Digivolve to..." The light exploded off of him, revealing what appeared to be a man-sized robot made entirely out of wood. "Arbormon!"


"There it is!" Micro cried, "Sandal and Mangoramon's favourite Champion Level." As he said that, the data on Arbormon appeared on the screen.

Name: Arbormon
Level: Champion
Type: Data
Attribute: Plant
Species: Cyborg
Family: Nature Spirits, Jungle Troopers

"Be careful Flash," Micro told his friend. "This form is not one to be trifled with."


"So that's his Digivolved form," Flash realised. "Doesn't matter. Still a Plant Attribute!" He charged forward, ready to cut the otherside wood carving down to side.

"Come get some!" Arbormon yelled, as he thrust his arms forward. "Roundhouse Punt!" Suddenly, his arms detached from the elbows and shot towards Flamedramon, still attacked to his body by cables.

Flamedramon had been so surprised by this, he didn't have time to avoid the first punch and it smacked him right in the face. "Gyah!" He was knocked staggering back, allowing the second fist the chance to get in close and be slam him in the chest. "Augh!"

Flamedramon: 2-55%
Arbormon: 4-35%

As Flamedramon fell backwards, the flying fists continued to snake through the air. The cables coiled and moved, changing to positions of the fists and allowing them to shot forward again to try and punch him. But Flamedramon wasn't going down that easily and quickly slashed his claws at the fists.

This knocked the wooden weapons back, protecting Flamedramon as he waited for his SP to charge back up.

He quickly charged in close to Arbormon, thinking he couldn't use that attack at close range. And sure enough, as he got closer Arbormon had to bring his fists back to his body. The two then engaged in a hand to hand battle, Flamedramon having the clear advantage since Arbormon's mechanical body was unable to move as fast as his opponent.

This allowed Flamedramon to get three good slashed in on Arbormon, knocking him backwards and doing damage to him.

Flamedramon: 2-55%
Arbormon: 4-5%

Arbormon staggered back, as Flamedramon spun around and thrust a kick into his chest. But Arbormon managed to use his arms to block the attack, though he was knocked staggering backwards in the process.

Flamedramon: 2-55%
Arbormon: 4-0%

Flamedramon's gauntlet then ignited, the Armor Digimon rushing forward. "Flame Fist!" But before he could get in close enough, Arbormon lowered his arms as his mouth opened.

"Blockade Seed!" Suddenly, seeds shot out of his mouth at high speed. They were so fast, Flamedramon could react in time to avoid them. They slammed into his chest and instantly sprouted, causing a bunch of vines to appear around him.

"What the heck!?" He cried, as his entire body was tied up by the vines. "Augh! Get these things off me!"

"Roundhouse Punt!" Arbormon quickly fired his fists at the lizard, both of them slamming into him and knocked him backwards into a rock.

Flamedramon: 2-30%
Arbormon: 3-100%

Arbormon laughed as he turned to run away, whilst Flamedramon struggled against the vines. "Man, this guy is tough." He was forced to used some of his SP to ignited his claws again, allowing him to burn through the vines holding his arms locked to his side.

Once they snapped, he was able to cut through the rest and began to make his way through the rocky field. As he did, he heard the sound of water and knew it was likely another stream. And as the water got louder, he noticed something atop one of the rocks.

"Yes!" Flash rushed over to the blue coin, leaping up and grabbing it. Doing so caused his SP to max out, allowing him to launch a flurry of fire attacks again. And as he stood atop the rock, he noticed the water he had heard.

It was a much larger spring from before, which was flowing into a river that ran along the rock covered battlefield. And standing on a rock on th other side of the river, was Arbormon.

"Now I've got you!" He leapt off the rock and flew through the air, Arbormon noticing him as he reached the top of his jump. "FIRE ROCKET!" His entire body exploded, allowing him to propel himself towards Arbormon.

The Champion tried to escape by dodging, but Flamedramon was able to control his propulsion and follow him. "WOW!" Arbormon yelled, right before Flamedramon slammed into him and created a powerful explosion. "AUGH!"

Flamedramon: 2-30%
Arbormon: 3-40%

Arbormon was sent flying backwards and crashed into the ground, as Flamedramon leapt back and land on the other side of the river. "How'd you like that? You might have some cool tricks, but you're still at a disadvantage against my fire attacks." As he watched Arbormon pick himself up, Flash smirked in his head. 'I can still win. I've seen all his tricks and with a few more big blasts, I'll take him down.'

Arbormon chuckled, "you're right about me being weak to fire." He stood tall and stared him down. "But don't forget, you've got weaknesses too." Flamedramon looked confused, as Arbormon held up an arm. "Battle Gear, BOOST!" Suddenly, that arm exploded with light and began to transform. As it did, a rope of light flew off of it and moved to his back. It formed a square shape on said back, the form completing before the light faded.

When it did, it revealed a large white backpack on Arbormon's back that had an opening in the side that was covered with glass. A rubber tube came off the top and was connected to his arm, which had transformed into a white cannon-like weapon with the end looking like a fireman's hose.

"What the heck is that?" Flamedramon asked, as Arbormon moved around and showed him what was on his back. When he did, Flash noticed the backpack's glass hole revealed something inside the device. Water.

"Say hello to the Spray Blaster! The ultimate Battle Gear designed to help Digimon weak to fire, like me, face off against you hot heads." Flash had a feeling he knew what Arbormon was talking about, the Plant Digimon pointing its blaster at him. "Spray Blast!" Before Flamedramon could react, a powerful surge of water exploded out of the nozzle and shot towards him.

"GYAH!" He screamed, the water slamming into him with enough force to blast him backwards. When it stopped, he was still flying back and crashed into a nearby rock.

Flamedramon: 2-0%
Arbormon: 3-40%

"Awwww," he groaned as he rolled onto his front, "no freaking way." He was down to his last security. "Something that strong's gotta have a draw back." He pushed himself to his feet, as he thought about his own Battle Gear. "Maybe it's got limited shots." He turned back to Arbormon, only to see him at the river with his blaster in the water. "What?"

Arbormon chuckled, "gotta love this Battle Gear. It might have limit ammo, but I can reload as long as I'm near a large body of water." He pointed his weapon at him again, "fire!" The water bullet exploded towards Flamedramon, who barely managed to avoid it by leaping to the side.

He then rushed forward, as Arbormon fired several more blasts towards him.

"Not this time!" Flamedramon leapt into the air, the water exploding beneath him as he shot towards Arbormon. "Flame Fist!" He reached Arbormon and punched him, knocking the wooden robot backwards.

Flamedramon: 1-100%
Arbormon: 3-25%

Arbormon quickly recovered and fired another water blast, Flamedramon leaping back to avoid it. The blast exploded and several high speed drops still hit him, the Armor Digimon hissing as he did.

Flamedramon: 1-95%
Arbormon: 3-25%

Flamedramon landed and as he did, he noticed his Digivolution Gauge was close to filling. "Alright, time to go all out!" He shot forward as his claws glowed. "Express Claw!" He slashed at Arbormon, hitting him once.

Flamedramon: 1-95%
Arbormon: 3-15%

Twice.

Flamedramon: 1-95%
Arbormon: 3-5%

Three times.

Flamedramon: 1-95%
Arbormon: 3-0%

Arbormon quickly raised his cannon as Flamedramon went for another hit, but his water level was low so he couldn't launch a stronger blow. He fire and it struck Flamedramon right in the chest, knocking him back.

Flamedramon: 1-75%
Arbormon: 2-100%

As Flamedramon landed near the water, his Digivolution Gauge filled up. "Finally!" Arbormon fired another blast, Flamedramon leaping into the air and bursting into flames. "Flamedramon, Digivolve to..." The fire exploded off of him, revealing the Ultimate Level Greymon Species. "BURNINGGREYMON!"

"Wow!" Arbormon cried, "talk about cool!" But as he said this, BurningGreymon looked down at him and pointed his blaster arms at him. "Uh oh."

"Pyro Barrage!" The gauntlets launched a bunch of flaming bullets togethers the Plant Digimon, who attempted to evade the attack but several of them slammed into him and he cried out in pain.

BurningGreymon: 1-75%
Arbormon: 2-40%

Arbormon fell to the ground, but he was close to the river and quickly dipped his water blaster into it to recharge. As he did, BurningGreymon dived down and landed on the other side of the river. "Crimson Fanger!" He shot forward, building up incredible speed as air broke around him.

Arbormon quickly pulled the blaster out of water and fired a long stream of water, which shot towards the Fire Digimon and slammed right into BurningGreymon.

BurningGreymon: 1-50%
Arbormon: 2-40%

BurningGreymon, though damaged by the water, was able to keep himself from being pushed back and forced his way through the water stream. He then thrust his helmeted head into the robot Digimon, hitting him hard enough to knock him backwards. "Gyah!"

BurningGreymon: 1-50%
Arbormon: 2-20%

Arbormon was knock onto his back and rolled along the ground, as BurningGreymon took to the air. But before he could get away, Arbormon forced himself onto his back and fired his water blaster. The stream flew at him and slammed into the dragonoid. "Augh!"


Micro flinched seeing Flash get hit again, the dragon Digimon's life gauge dropping.

BurningGreymon: 1-25%
Arbormon: 2-20%

"Careful Flash," he frowned. "You're dangerously close to losing this battle." As he said that, BurningGreymon flew down as Arbormon picked himself up. "You gotta get rid of that cannon."


"Gotta get rid of that cannon!" Flash groaned as he saw his SP was growing low. He could only use one big blast. "Might as well go big or go home."

Arbormon stood up as he checked his cannon, but the water was too low and BurningGreymon was now between him and the river. "Not good."

BurningGreymon vibrated, as flames exploded out of every gap in his armor and surrounded his entire body. "Time to bring out the big guns. WILDFIRE TSUNAMI!" He spun around, using his tail to launch the flames off of him straight towards Arbormon.

The Digimon gasped and braced himself, as the flames completely consumed him. "GYAH!" He cried, as he was roasted alive.

BurningGreymon: 1-25%
Arbormon: 2-0%

As he was, BurningGreymon shot forward and prepared his claws. He flew into the flames, completely immune to their effects, and slashed at the Spray Blaster. The claws ripped through the metal and completely destroyed it, the rest of the device exploding into data.

Arbormon flinched at this, but he wouldn't let that stop him. "Roundhouse Punt!" He threw his fist into BurningGreymon and knocked him back, whilst the fire continued to do more damage to him.

BurningGreymon: 1-15%
Arbormon: 1-75%

Arbormon quickly rushed towards the water, still ablaze as he leapt into the river and put the flames out.

BurningGreymon: 1-15%
Arbormon: 1-50%

Flash smirked as Arbormon was surrounded by steam. "Without his water cannon, he doesn't stand a chance against me now." But as he said that, he heard Arbormon yell something before a trio of object shot towards him.

It was his Blockade Seed attack, BurningGreymon attempting to dodge only for one to hit his wing. "Augh!" He cried, as the vines wrapped around them tightly. He quickly fell to the ground and as he did, Arbormon stepped out of the water.

"Don't count me out just yet!" His body began to glow, BurningGreymon's eyes going wide in shock as his body began to grow. "Arbormon, Digivolve to..." The light faded to reveal a giant fusion of a lizard and a plant, with two long tails and root-like spikes sticking off its back. "PETALDRAMON!


"Oh," Micro sighed, "that's not good." As he said that, Petaldramon's data appeared.

Name: Petaldramon
Level: Ultimate
Type: Data
Attribute: Plant
Species: Vegetation
Family: Nature Spirits, Jungle Troopers

He turned to Flash, who looked absolutely shocked that Arbormon had Digivolved. "Flash still has a lot to learn. He was able to become Flamedramon fast because the time it takes to charge the gauge up from Rookie to Armor is shorter then it is for Rookie to Champion. But because of that, it takes longer for an Armor Digimon to build the gauge up for an Ultimate Evolution."


"Who cares why he was able to Digivolve!" BurningGreymon spread his wings, "I've still got the advantage!" He shot into the air and prepared his blasters, the SP having charged up just enough. "Pyro Barrage!"

Petaldramon looked up, as the flurry of fire bullets rained down upon him.

BurningGreymon: 1-15%
Petaldramon: 1-40%

"Augh!" he cried, but he wouldn't let this stop him. "Thorn Jab!" He thrust his tails into the ground as the continued to slam into him.

BurningGreymon: 1-15%
Petaldramon: 1-30%

As the flames kept burning him, the tails exploded out of the ground beneath BurningGreymon.

The Ultimate Digimon barely had a second to notice them before he was grabbed and tied up. "AUGH!" His arms and wings were pinned to his side, as Petaldramon controlled his tail and used it to slam him into the ground. "GYAH!"

BurningGreymon: 1-5%
Petaldramon: 1-30%

BurningGreymon moaned as the roots let him go, the Digimon rolling onto his hands and knees. "I'm...not done."

"Not yet," Petaldramon jumped onto his hind legs. "But this should leave you done!" As he said that, the leaves around his head began to slowly rotate clockwise. "LEAF CYCLONE!" As the leaves spun, a powerful gust began to fly out. At the same time, he started firing leaves out of his nose.

"What?" BurningGreymon cried, as the leaves were caught by the wind and spun around into a powerful tornado. "No way!" He spread his wings and took to the air, attempting to escape. But the tornado reached him before he could and the high speed foliage slammed into him. "AUGH!"

BurningGreymon: 1-0%
Petaldramon: 1-30%

Petaldramon laughed as he quit power to his attack, the tornado vanishing as BurningGreymon fell to the ground.

He watched as the dragon recovered from the attack, still dizzy from the spinning he had had to endure. And as his mind began to focus, he realised he was falling towards a large rock. "WOW!" He spread his wings, trying to slow himself down. But he could in time and smashed into the rock.

There was a huge flash of light, as BurningGreymon's body exploded into date. Flash and Veemon were thrown out of that light, both screaming as they fell to the ground. As they landed, the overhead voice spoke out.

"Battle Over! Winner, Sandalwood." The battlefield was then consumed by light, transforming back into the domed room as Petaldramon shrank down. He was then consumed with light before splitting into Sandal and Mangoramon, the two cheering at their victory and high-fiving one another.

All the while, Flash and Veemon laid on the ground looking shocked that they had been so thoroughly beaten. "I can't believe this." A hand then appeared next to him, Flash looking up and seeing Sandal smiling down at him.

"Good match. That was fun." Flash sighed and took the hand, allowing Sandal to help him up. "You were good, especially when you finally got the hang of being the Digimon."

"You still beat me though," Flash sighed. "You had total control of that battle. I was playing catch up the whole time."

"Yeah," Sandalwood nodded, "just goes to show what experience can do for you." They headed out of the room, both returning to the lobby where Micro and Tentomon was waiting.

"So," Micro asked Flash, "what did we learn?"

Flash sighed, "I've got a really strong Digimon that can fight really well. But that doesn't mean I'm gonna win every match."

"Exactly," Micro nodded, "you're not the first person to get overconfident after one win. Lots of Codex players who win their first match think they're unstoppable. And sometimes, that arrogance never goes away."

"Well I've learnt my lesson," Flash assured them. "I'm not gonna underestimate my opponent again. And I'm gonna do whatever it takes to improve myself. I'll learn everything I can about the Digital World." He turned to Sandalwood. "I might not be able to beat you yet, but just wait. I'll learn and grow stronger. Then I'll battle you again and win."

Sandalwood smirked, "happy to hear it. Can't wait to see how strong you get." He held up a fist and Flash bumped it, Micro doing the same.

Flash might have lost today's battle, but he knew learning something important was worth a loss. Now he would focus his attention on improving his understanding of the Digital World and Digimon in general. It was gonna take a long time before he could truly master this game, but he wouldn't stop until he did.

Author's Note:

We get to meet Sandalwood, his partner, and have a fun battle with Flash learning a lesson. All in all, a pretty good chapter. What do you think? And what do you think of Mangoramon? Do you think it works as a Rookie for Arbormon?

PreviousChapters Next