• Published 2nd May 2023
  • 1,338 Views, 142 Comments

A Dragon's New Home - Mister E-Nonymous



Aaron and Smolder are back for more. This time, in a new house and they are gonna start at a new school. But the principal of the school wants all his students to focus only on tests and not other things. What will Aaron and Smolder do about it?

  • ...
5
 142
 1,338

Chapter 2: First Day of a New School

Chapter 2: First Day of a New School


Aaron was getting ready for the first day at his new school. As he got dressed, a book was vibrating on his computer desk. The book had a griffon's head on it, along with Aaron's dragon head. Aaron walked over to it and opened it up.

"Hey, Aaron!" Gallus said. "I heard you and Smolder are gonna start your first day at your new school."

"Gallus?" Aaron asked. "What are you doing with the communication book that's powering the portal?"

"Oh, no," Gallus said. "I asked Princess Twilight to make another pair of communication books so I can still communicate with you from Canterlot. I mailed the one you had to Sandbar and had him put it in your bedroom."

"Cool," Aaron said. "So, you're starting Royal Guard Training today?"

"That's right," Gallus answered. "I'm starting Royal Guard Training. Hopefully, I can get some time off when we're needed." Just then, the sound of a door opening came from the book.

"Alright, Gallus," came Princess Twilight's voice. "Your first day of training starts in 2 hours."

"Is that Princess Twilight?" Aaron asked. He then saw Twilight coming into the picture in the book.

"Oh, hi, Aaron," Twilight said. "Gallus told me and Spike that you moved into a new house."

"That's right," Aaron said. "One with a lot more space, and even a guest house for Smolder to live in that's connected to this house."

"That's amazing," Twilight said. "I might just have to come by and see it for myself someday. And... Garble might come by to check on his sister to see how she's adjusting."

"Figures," Aaron said. He then noticed the time. "Well, I gotta get ready for school."

"Oh, right," Twilight said. "I'll just let you get ready. I've got a country to run. Talk to you some other time." She then closed the book on her and Gallus's side. Aaron then closed his book.

"Aaron, are you ready for school?" Marissa asked from the door.

"Almost, aunt Marissa," Aaron said. Marissa then entered the room. "I see you've gotten that new book so you can communicate with Gallus."

"You knew?" Aaron asked.

"That's right," Marissa said. "Well, now that you and Smolder are starting a new school, you two are gonna have to know this. I'm gonna be working until four today, so you might have to call for a Lyft home."

"Okay," Aaron said. He then grabbed his backpack and headed downstairs.

When they were downstairs, Marissa had three plates of pancakes on the table.

"Aaron, can you tell Smolder that breakfast is ready?" Marissa asked. "We have to leave in half an hour."

"Alright," Aaron said. He then headed for the door that led to Smolder's house and he knocked on the door. The door opened and revealed Smolder, in dragon form, wearing her nightgown, and still sleepy.

"What is it?" Smolder asked.

"Smolder, what are you doing?" Aaron asked. "We've got school today, and we're leaving in 30 minutes." That made Smolder fully wake up. She then slammed the door. A few seconds later, she came through the door, in human form, wearing the first outfit she wore when she first arrived on Earth.

"Sorry," Smolder said. "Ocellus was talking with me all night and I guess I lost track of time."

"Okay, Smolder," Marissa said. "I'm gonna set some ground rules. In bed by ten on school nights, got it?"

Smolder sighed and said, "Fine. But what about when we're all out and we're not home by then?"

"Then you'll head for bed immediately," Marissa answered. "And if you need to bathe, you can take one immediately, or wait until morning before breakfast."

"Alright," Smolder said. She then sat at the table next to Aaron. Then the two of them started eating their pancakes. Eventually, they finished up, took their plates to the sink, washed them off, and then they headed out to the car.


Marissa pulled up to the curb of a middle school. Summer Valley Middle School. And the mascot of the school was a red dragon. Smolder snickered.

"A red dragon," Smolder said. "Just like my brother."

"Well, this is it," Aaron said. "Let's head on in." Then the two of them started walking towards the front entrance of the school. When they were walking towards the school, there was a man in his forties in a three-piece suit, and he was holding a bunch of balls. Soccer balls, basketballs, footballs, even volley balls.

"Welcome, students," the man said. "Welcome to Summer Valley Middle School." He then noticed Aaron and Smolder walking towards the door. "Excuse me, you two. What are your names?"

"Aaron Blazer," Aaron responded.

Smolder sighed and said, "Samantha Drake."

"Well, Miss Drake, I'm afraid that hair dye is not allowed," the man said.

"Hair dye?" Smolder asked, getting angry. Aaron then put his hands on Smolder's shoulders.

"It's okay, Samantha," Aaron said. "It's not your fault you were born with mostly purple hair."

"Oh," the man said. "She was born with that hair color?" He then sighed. "Well, that is clearly a loophole to rule thirty-two of the Code of Conduct to this school."

"Code of Conduct?" Aaron asked. Both him and Smolder were confused.

The man sighed, dropped all the balls in his hands, and then pulled something out of his back pocket. It was a book. He then said, "You clearly didn't receive these." He then handed the book to Aaron. "Read rule number 32 aloud."

Aaron opened the book and looked at rule 32. He then read it aloud. "'Any kind of hair dye is not to be allowed on school property.' Dude, doesn't this seem a little far fetched. It is our lives and our choice."

"Dude?" the man asked. "That's Principal O'Reilly to you. Rule number one, 'Always respect the principal, or any of the faculty, and address them as sir or madam.' Never forget that." He then pulled another book out and handed it to Smolder. "You two, memorize all these rules and live them."

Smolder groaned and took the book. Then she and Aaron headed inside. As they were inside, all the students were walking next to the lockers, leaving the middle of the hallway open.

Smolder was looking at all the students as she was walking in front of Aaron. She then asked, "What happened to this school? It's not like the other schools in the movies or TV shows."

"Well, there was one movie that's like this," Aaron said. "Middle School: The Worst Years of My Life. The rules here are like the rules in the movie. Check this out. 'No balls or any sports equipment on school grounds anytime.' Seriously? Why?"

"That explains why he was hogging all the balls outside," Smolder said. She then opened her backpack and pulled out her class schedule. "Looks like my first class is in room 203."

Aaron checked his schedule and said, "Same here. And it starts in..." He then checked his Smart Watch. "One minute." Then a warning bell went off. Then all of the students quickly scurried to their classes. Aaron and Smolder headed up the stairs and were about to enter their class, but they were stopped.

"Halt!" came a woman's voice. Aaron and Smolder looked towards the woman walking up to them. She was large, and was wearing a gold business shirt, a black skirt, clear black leggings and black high heeled shoes. "And where do you two think you're going?"

"To class before..." Aaron was soon interrupted as the bell rang. "Great. You just made us late on the first day of school."

"Well, you two wouldn't be getting detention if you had gotten here sooner," the woman said.

"Detention," Smolder said, angrily. "That's not fair! You were preventing us from getting to class! You're the one who's disrespecting us!"

"How dare you...?!" the woman said. Just then, the door opened, revealing a man with short, curly brown hair and a five o'clock shadow. He was wearing a plaid button up shirt and khakis.

"What's going on here?" the man asked.

"This doesn't concern you, Mister O'Connell," the woman said.

"Vice Principal Nettles, I think you're over reacting," Mister O'Connell said. "You do this to every student on the first day of school here for 10 years. It's unnecessary for you to give them detention for being late to class because you held them up."

Vice Principal Nettles then thought about that. She then remembered every time someone was late on the first day of school. She then sighed and said, "Just this once. If I catch either one of you disobeying the rules, you're gonna have detention until you graduate." She then walked away. Aaron and Smolder turned to look at the teacher.

"Sorry about that," Mister O'Connell said. "C'mon, let's get you two inside and start the class." Then Aaron, Smolder and Mister O'Connell walked into the classroom. "Sorry about that, class. Vice Principal Nettles has been giving our two new students a hard time on the first day." He then thought of something. "I'm sorry, I never got your names."

"Aaron Blazer," Aaron answered.

"Samantha Drake," Smolder answered as well.

"Well, Aaron and Samantha, welcome to Summer Valley Middle School," Mister O'Connell said. "Go ahead and take an open seat."

"Thank you, sir," Smolder said.

"Oh, you don't have to call me sir," Mister O'Connell politely said. "It makes me feel old, and I'm only 31 years old."

"O... kay," Smolder said. She then sat in an empty seat, which Aaron was to her right.

"Alright, class," Mister O'Connell. "Welcome back to a new year at Summer Valley Middle School. And, like usual, the principal wants all of us to focus on our school work and no distractions like sports or art. Lame, I know. I know how you feel."

"No sports or arts of any kind?" Aaron asked. "What about Phys Ed?"

"I'm afraid... due to budget cuts years ago, the principal had to make such... drastic cuts," Mister O'Connell said. "All the other students have been trying to raise the funding back ever since it still happened, but it all wasn't enough."

"Dude, that's just wrong," Smolder said.

"Hey, I know how you feel, girl," a student sitting to Smolder's left said. He was a scrawny black kid wearing a T-Shirt with no logo, and blue jeans. "Hi. I'm Paul. You want a piece of this?" He then tried flexing some muscles.

Smolder rolled her eyes and said, "I have a boyfriend."

"That's what they all say," Paul said.

"Hey," Aaron said. "Stop trying to hit on my girlfriend." All of the other students all went ooh at the news.

"Well, I was going to ask everyone to do a thousand word essay on what they did over the summer, but I have to ask, how did you two meet?" Mister O'Connell asked.

Aaron and Smolder looked at each other. Aaron then said, "Well, we met... over the summer."

"Yeah," Smolder said. "Aaron and I met when he moved here. That was until my mom had to leave me with his aunt to do some work out of the country and..."


Later, all of the students were in the assembly hall, which used to be a gymnasium. Principal O'Reilly was on a stage making announcements to all the students.

"Welcome, students, to a new year at Summer Valley Middle School," the principal announced. "Now, you're all aware that at this school, we only focus on one thing, strengthening our minds. And for years, we've been doing that ever since budget cuts have been made due to the school funding being so low for the past ten years since I took over this school. But don't worry, we can get one step closer to getting our funding back. How? By keeping our minds strong and preparing ourselves... for this years State Testings! Yaaaay!" He cheered, but all the students weren't too keen on what he said.

"Seriously?" Smolder asked. "What has your aunt gotten us into?"

"I don't know," Aaron said. "We're gonna have to tell her about this when we get home."

"Alright, students, lunch is about to start," the principal announced. "And it's our duty to show the state that we're the most highly educated school, and we want to make the other school see our results and say... Dang." Just then, a young Asian man appeared on the stage instantly.

"You called?" the Asian man asked. Everyone else in the room, including Aaron and Smolder, screamed.

"I really should watch what I say," the principal said. Then the lunch bell rang. "Alright, everyone. Head on to the cafeteria and eat your lunch." Then everyone stood up and headed out of there.


Later in the cafeteria, everyone was in line for their lunch. Aaron and Smolder were in line. Aaron was talking with one of the other students in his class.

"What was up with that janitor?" Aaron asked.

"Oh, that's just Dang," Paul said.

"You called?" Dang said, appearing next to the students in line, making all of them yell in shock.

"Where did you come from?" Smolder asked.

"Originally, Vietnam," Dang said. "I once was a janitor at a High School elsewhere in this country. I didn't really finish high school, so I took my last class there before graduating and moving on to college. Then I graduated college and I came here, cleaning up any mess the students left. Although, it was odd that the school budget had been cut for some reason."

"Boy, guess things used to be good here," Smolder said.

"Wait until you see the food," Paul said.

When they got to the area where they were getting their food, one of the lunch ladies put a blob of gray gunk onto Smolder's plate. Smolder let out a sound of disgust seeing what was put on her plate.

"What is this stuff?" Smolder asked.

"Mystery meat," the lunch lady said. "Served every school day since the school's budget went down."

"Guess we'll have to bring in our own lunches," Smolder said.

"I don't think so," Paul said. "Check out rule number 44 in the code of conduct." Smolder then pulled out the rule book and she read it.

"'Rule number 44: No outside food allowed on school grounds'?"

"Seriously?" Aaron asked. "No outside food? That's not fair."

"I know, right?" Paul asked. "And do you know what else? No one is even allowed to have any activities to do to pass time on school grounds."

"We've got to find out what's going on," Aaron said. His phone then buzzed. He pulled out his phone and read a text from his aunt. "Guess my aunt's new boyfriend is coming to pick us up after school."

"Guess that'll be some news," Smolder said. Eventually, they went back towards a table. "I just hope that this school will get back to how it went." She, Aaron and Paul took a bite from the mystery meat. They then spat out the meat in disgust. "Oh my gosh! That tasted awful!"

"That tasted even worse than last year!" Paul said.

"This wasn't the first time you've had this?!" Aaron asked.

"This school stinks," Smolder said. "Dang."

"You called?" Dang asked, appearing next to the table, making everyone around the table scream.

"Seriously, how does he do that?" Smolder asked.

"It's a very complicated trick," Dang said, sitting on the table. "It took me years to perfect it." Aaron then took his plate and dumped the mystery meat into the nearby trash can.

"Is he gonna be alright?" Paul asked.

"Meh, I'm sure when he gets home, he'll get something from the fridge at home and eat it," Smolder said. She then took another bite and then spat it back onto the plate. "Worst... lunch... ever." She then got up and did the same as what Aaron did. Dump the remaining meat into the trash can.

Author's Note:

There are some schools that have good food, good sport teams, and activities to keep the students occupied. But this school doesn't have any of those things. Hopefully Aaron and Smolder might be able to get used to this school.

Unless Smolder doesn't burn it to the ground or convince the other students to ditch school.