• Published 5th Nov 2022
  • 821 Views, 27 Comments

Growing Bonds - Zack Catcher



this is the story of zack catcher who is a changeling and Flurry heart and they are both still young

  • ...
9
 27
 821

Chapter 18: The Big Day

When I opened my eyes I saw two mannequins, one with a suit and one with a dress. I looked back over to Flurry seeing that she was still asleep. I kissed her on her head before I carefully unwrapped myself from Flurry's wing. I got out of our bed as I stretched my legs and walked over to the suit placing a hoof on it, suddenly I saw a piece of paper fall out of one of the sleeves in the suit. I quietly picked up the letter and put it on a nearby table. I read it out loud but in a quiet voice. “Dear Zack, I hope this letter finds you well, I know about how you are planning to propose to Flurry on her 18th birthday.

Don’t worry, I didn’t tell any other pony about this though. I just wanted to let you know that I support you in this. I know there’s nothing more important in this world than family and I know Flurry is the only family you know. I promise, your secret’s safe with me. From "Twilight Sparkle”, I looked down at the letter. I was a little worried at first but then calmed myself down as I knew Twilight would keep this all a secret for now. Just then, I turned around to see Flurry as she was starting to move very quickly in her sleep. It looked like she was worried and panicked. I quickly ran to her as I felt her pulse.

She was still fine but worried. I naturally assumed she was having a nightmare so I used a bit of magic and headed inside of her dream. Once I was inside, I saw that I was in Twilight’s castle. I then saw Flurry as she looked very much in distress. “Flurry”, I said before rushing over to her. Just then, I saw Luna as she blasted a magical laser at me but Flurry blocked the attack. “Luna, calm down, this is just Zack my boyfriend”, Flurry said as Luna lowered her horn. Flurry and Luna then talked back and forth before we both woke up. “Zack, I’m glad to see you're ok”, Flurry said, We talked for a while about the dream, and a little about Ark but after some time we decided to forget about what happened, for now, it was her 18th birthday. She doesn’t need to worry about anything today, she should focus on herself because for today it was all about her

Flurry smiled, giving me a kiss on the forehead before staring at the dress that was on the other mannequin, Flurry got out of bed to look at the dress, her eyes reflecting the sparkles that came from the small crystals, Flurry looked over and saw a gift with a letter on top. Flurry picked up a letter and she read it out loud “Happy birthday Flurry, I am sad to say that I won’t be able to make it to your party, but I wanted to do something special so I made this dress as well as get you a little gift hope you enjoy, with a lot of love rarity” Flurry said, “That was very nice of her”, Zack said, “I really do love this dress, She is good at what she does”, Flurry said, “Just then, Flurry's stomach started to growl. “I think we should get some breakfast”, Flurry said as we headed to the kitchen.

We then had some breakfast and headed out to the field where I practised my powers some more and then when the evening came around, we came back to our room and got ready. I changed into the suit that Rarity had left and Flurry changed into her dress. As I put the suit on, I looked at myself in the mirror. “Man, I look dashing in this," I said, But as I was looking at myself in the mirror I realized that there was something in my pocket, I reached in and pulled out a small red box. Releasing that this was for the ring I quickly put the ring that was under my wing in the box before putting it back in my pocket. Flurry walked out of the bathroom in her dress as well as some makeup. I could feel my heart beating at ridiculously fast speeds as my jaw dropped. Flurry blushed, noticing my reaction to her “So how do I look”, Flurry said, “There’s no word that could describe how beautiful you look right now”, I said, unable to take my red eyes off of her. “Well you look more handsome than the day I fell in love with you”, Flurry said, “Yeah, yeah”, I said as we headed downstairs.

We headed into the living room to see Cadence in a dress as she was waiting for us. Cadence then seeing us started to tear up a bit. “You're crying again, Mom”, Flurry said, “It’s just that I remember when you were smaller than me and now you're the same height, it just makes me happy to see my daughter becoming a full-grown mare”, Cadence said, “Thanks, Mom”, I said, “I guess I have grown a lot in 18 years”, Flurry said, “Are you two ready”, Cadence said, “I think we are”, I said as Cadence opened the door to the ballroom.

After I changed my form to look like a pony, The three of us headed inside to see Pinkey already there. “How do you get here so fast?”, Flurry said, “My pinky sense is silly”, Pinky said, After a few minutes, a few other ponies arrived such as Twilight, Starlight and Rainbow Dash. “Hey, Zack, hey Flurry”, Twilight said as she hugged the both of us. “Happy 18th Flurry”, Starlight said as she hugged Flurry. “Happy birthday also”, Dash said, “Good to see you again Dash”, I said, “Hey Zack, sorry for the whole race thing a few weeks back”, Dash said, “Don’t worry about it, some interesting things happened because of it, but I can fill you in later”, I said, As we both hugged each other. After some time, Twilight pulled me aside. “So are you planning to do what I think you're gonna do today”, Twilight said. “Yes”, I said, “I’m going to wait until she opens presents,” I said, keeping my voice down so the Flurry wouldn’t be able to overhear. “Good idea”, Twilight said,

We headed back to see more ponies entering. I saw a lime pony enter with a tan pony with a blue and pink main and a grey pony with a yellow main. This was gonna be a fun time, to say the least. Around this time, Vinyl Scratch then started up the music for the party. As we all started to enjoy ourselves. Shortly after She played a softer tune and I saw some ponies start to dance. I then got an idea as I walked over to Flurry. “Flurry would care to dance”, I said with a smile forming on my face. “I would love to”, Flurry said, as we headed to the dance floor. We then slowly danced together as we did the tango. Some ponies looked at us but it didn’t matter, I was loving this night already, and we only were there for around a half-hour. It was so magical already.

A little later we took a break to grab a bite, as we were both a bit worn out from dancing. Flurry then went over to talk to Twilight as I went to the table with the food. I took one of the muffins there and found a spot to sit at. I then noticed another pony then sat next to me. “So how is the party?”, I said looking at the pony “It’s good”, the pony said before continuing. “Name’s Kuno, what's yours?”, Kuno said, “You can call me Zack”, I said, giving a small smile. “Are you a friend of Cadence?”, I asked. “No, we were invited here”, Kuno said, “We then decided to come because if we were invited to a royal birthday, we would want to go to that”, Warden said, “That is rather true I suppose. I would have done the same thing as well”, Flurry said, We talked for a little bit before Kuno had to go to the little filly's room. Meanwhile, I saw Flurry talking to Cadence, as Flurry dropped her plate as another pony then caught it, they interacted for some time then he left. Kuno then came back as we talked but she had to leave as well. We said goodbye and she left with the other pony. Just then, Vinyl said over the speakers that this next song was a couples song. Me and Flurry then exchanged looks as we headed to the dance floor.

Once we joined the dance floor other ponies started to join as well as Kuno with a different pony that seemed to be limping. Suddenly an upbeat song started to play. Me and Flurry then danced to the song for a while. I was having so much fun up there on the floor and I can see Flurry was also having a great time. Even then, I couldn't wait until the opening of the presents to execute my little plan. I could already picture it now. We danced for what felt like forever then after the last song, it was time for the cake. We gathered around a table as the chiefs brought out a triple-layered, white-coloured cake with blue and pink frosting. On the top, “Happy Birthday Flurry" was written in frosting. We then sang happy birthday to Flurry before she blew out her candles and we had some cake. Then it was time, time for the presents … and my little plan.

The music turned off as Flurry got on the stage, moving the hair from out of her face before saying “Thank you everypony for coming for my 18th birthday it means a lot to me that you would take the time for your life just to see me turn 18” Flurry heart stopped before handing off the mic back to vinyl before she ponies started to line up in front of her to give her their gifts, she got some books from a few ponies including Twilight when I saw Kuno go up she gave her a box and Flurry opened it before closing it before her cheeks start to turn red, there was even one where she got a gift and when she opened it there was a box that said on the box “personal stress releaser” Flurry put the box up to here ear before her entire face turned red, she also got jewellery a crown that she put on immediately and some makeup.

Finally, it was my turn. I was the only one left on the stage, and I could feel everypony watching me, I felt my heart race, and I took a deep breath before looking into Flurry's eyes as she said, “What did you get me, Zack?” I replied with a smile on my face before dropping my disguise. At that moment I heard everypony gasp as Flurry came walking up to me and said “Zack what are you doing.” I opened my mouth, ready to tell her how I felt. On the first day, we became instant friends. I loved every moment we had with each other and before I knew it I started to fall in love with you, and you did as well. every day after that it was perfect and I know we can be happy as long as we are together” I got down on one knee pulling out the little red box from my pocket, Flurry gasped covering her mouth with a hoof, “Zack… are you” I smiled as I looked up at her “Flurry heart this may seem like an odd question coming from me but… will you marry me?” Flurry's heart's eyes opened in shock, as she took a step back in shock and everypony in the room gasped before everything went silent.

A Few seconds passed and I saw tears start to form in Flurry’s eyes before she said in a soft voice, “Yes” I looked up at Flurry my eyes going wide before she ran to me and hugged me as she continued this time her voice a bit louder “yes Zack I will marry you”, Flurry said with a very happy voice. The crowd erupted into cheers after Flurry agreed to Marry me. I didn’t expect the reaction that the crowd gave but I have to say, I was enjoying it. It was nice to know that Pony’s appreciated me despite my race and all. It felt like the night was lasting for hours and hours. When the crowd settled down, I and Flurry walked off the stage to see Kuno and the other pony from before. “Congratulations you two, you seem very happy together”, Kuno said, “I think you’ll make a great royal couple. Name’s Warden if I didn’t say it already”, Warden said, “Why to thank you two”, Flurry said, “It’s great to meet you two”, I said as we shook hoofs. “I never thought a pony and a changeling would love each other this much”, Kuno said, “You would be surprised”, I said, “Also because of curiosity, how long have you known each other?”, Kuno said, “Since as long as I can remember really”, I said, Just then, right after I said that Kuno suddenly asked if she could speak to me in private.

We went over to an area where not many ponies were. “I just wanted to speak changeling to changeling for a moment”, Kuno said, “what”, I said, not understanding. Suddenly Kuno dropped her form revealing that she was a changeling “Throughout my entire life, I thought, I was the one and only changeling that ever fell in love, It’s good to know that I’m not alone here”, Kuno said, “Well I was separated from Flurry a ton of times because I was a changeling, I thought I was the only one as well. It is good to know that we're not alone I guess”, I said, “Very agreeable and nice to hear that from our kind”, Kuno said, Also i was wondering how did you and Flurry meet each other in the first place”, Kuno asked me.

“Well that is a long story but I was blasted away from my hive and landed in the crystal empire. I heard some guards coming and I ran into Flurry when she was a baby and I stayed in her room for a couple of years until Cadence came along and a whole lot happened there and that’s what you need to know”, I said, “It does sound complicated”, Kuno said, “You have no idea”, I said, We continued to talk for a little bit before we headed back out to see Flurry and Warden talking. We reunited with Warden and Kuno. “Hey I don’t think I mention it yet but why did you come here”, I said purely out of curiosity. “Oh we were told to come here by somepony who we didn’t catch her name though.” Interesting”, I said, “Speaking of, how did you two meet in the first place”, Flurry said, “Oh that was a great story. We meet during the changeling invasion on Canterlot. I was a royal guard at the time and I was defending the city when I saw Kuno lying there on the ground, not moving. I took her in and healed her. When she woke up, she tried to attack me but she saw that I was welcoming and caring so she didn’t kill me and after some time, we started dating and here we are”, Warden said, “That’s pretty interesting”, I said, “It was different at first but we realized that we were made for each other”, Kuno said, “Just like us”, Flurry said to me. “Oh you're gonna make me blush”, I said, and we talked some more after that.

As we continued to talk, I noticed a small bit of magic swirling around Warden and then I realized it was changeling magic so I confronted Kuno about using a love spell, Kuno then tried to deny it but I said that I had done the same thing to Flurry. Flurry didn’t seem fazed by it but Warden was very mad by it. Kuno then explained why she put a spell on him. Warden was still pretty upset but he calmed himself and the two made up. I then remembered that Warden Lag was injured so I asked “Hay Warden, if you don’t mind me asking what happened to your hoof” Warden looked down at his hoof before replying “I got my hoof and wing broken during a fight” I looked at Wardens broken wing before asking if I could have a look at it, he nodded his head before stretching his wing out biting his bottom lip in pain. I stepped closer to Warden's wing before looking at it. I knew that I could heal my own body using my power, but I wondered if I could use it to heal others. Curious, I decided to give it a try so I put my hoof on it.

After flinching in pain, I closed my eyes, letting my power flow through his wings. When I opened my eyes, Warden looked shocked as he said “You fixed… '' my wing” No problem just remember even if she uses a spell on you that does not mean she doesn't love you, Warden looked back at Kuno and smiled “your right Zack” he said rubbing my head with his hoof we continued to talk until Kuno and Warden had to head back home and so they made their exit after we said our goodbyes. Just then, Cadence came up to the two of us.

“I’m so happy for you two”, Cadence said as she had a tissue in her hoof and was wiping her tears from her face. “Thanks, Mom”, Flurry said, “I had no idea that you were planning to propose”, Cadence said to me. “Well I wanted it to be a surprise so I had to keep it a secret”, I said, “You two are very happy together”, Cadence said, “Thanks again”, Me and Flurry said, Just then, Twilight and her friends then came behind Cadence. “We're so happy for you both”, Twilight said, “You're gonna make me blush”, I said, feeling my face heat up. I then noticed that Pinky had a huge smile on her face. Just then, the top of her head exploded into confetti. “Im-so-happy-for-you-two-please-let-me-plan-your-wedding-as-well-please-i’m-so-excited”, Pinky said as it was hard to hear her as she didn’t stop for a second. “I think what she's trying to say is that she wants to help plan the wedding”, Rainbow Dash said unamused.

“Yes-that-is-what-im-saying”, Pinky said while she was still very excited. “I think we can open up a slot”, Flurry said with a smile. Pinky then exploited into a pile of glitter and confetti as she was running around. “This is normal for her, right”, I said looking at Pinkie confused. “You have no idea”, Twilight said, Just then, the clocks struck midnight already. “Well I’m gonna have to make my leave now, Happy birthday Flurry”, Twilight said as she hugged Flurry and left. Shortly after, a few more guests left and me and Flurry left as Cadence continued to hang out with the guests that remained. We were both a bit tired out for the night so we headed straight to our room. Once we got to our room, Flurry then headed to our balcony, overlooking the empire.

“Zack” Flurry said turning to me, I replied “Yes Flurry” Flurry took a deep breath before asking me “Please don’t take this the wrong way, b...but I need to know. Do you love me” I looked at Flurry shocked and confused by the question “Of course, I do Flurry why would you think I didn-” Flurry put a hoof up interrupting me “Just answer the question Zack I want to know how you really feel about me” after she said that she lowered her hoof as she looked at me

I sighed before answering her question “I do love you Flurry. I have cared for you for so many years, and the only times when I am happy is when I am with you, I couldn't even imagine how my life would go if I had never met”.

I picked up one of Flurry’s hoofs before continuing “So to answer your question, yes I love you and I wouldn’t trade you for anything” Flurry let out a small laugh before I saw tears coming down here check, I kneeled down to look in her eyes ``woah hey, it's ok, what the matter” Flurry replied to me in between sobs“Zack I… I love you too, and I don’t want to lose you” I pulled Flurry into a hug as I said, “Flurry you're never going to lose me” Flurry then pushed me away from her as she said “Zack I want to believe you but I don’t know if I do love or if it is the stupid spell you put on me” Flurry then looked at me tears still in her eyes “remove it Zack'' I looked at Flurry a little shocked by her request “what” Flurry replied to me this time in a more direct tone “Zack I love you and it hurts me to say this, b...but I need to know if I love you. I want to love you, you have made me happy through every stage of my life, and no matter what happens you have always stayed right beside me. But if I am going to marry you, I need to know the truth… I… I ne… I need you to remove the spell '' I tried to reach out to Flurry trying to calm her down.

Suddenly Flurry smacked me hoofing away her face full of tears at this point “Zack, please… I need to know'', Flurry said, “I don’t know if I can. I don’t know how to live with myself if you don’t end up loving me after all”, I said almost in tears. “ Zack please this is hurting me as much as it is hurting you, I still love you but I need to know please just remove it”, Flurry said, “Ok…I will remove the spell”, I said, I then got into position and got my horn ready as all the memories of me and Flurry then entered my head. I didn’t know what was going to happen but I knew I had to do this. I then removed the spell. As I began to lift the spell, Flurry closed her eyes. “The spell is removed”, I said, “I feel weird like something was taken out of me”, Flurry said, “Are you ok”, I said, “I’m fine I guess”, Flurry said, “How do you feel?”, I said, Flurry stood there in silence as she looked at me. When she looked at me, I could see her eyes looking pale but after a few seconds, her eyes then lit up. Flurry then ran over and hugged me. “It’s like I fell in love with you all over again," Flurry said, “I’m just happy”, I said as we continued to hug. I was just glad that Flurry still loved me and I was happy because I couldn't imagine a world where she didn’t love me. After a while, we stopped hugging each other and got ready for the night. While I was getting ready to go to sleep, I saw Flurry on our balcony.

“You ok Flurry”, I said as I headed over to her. “Yeah”, Flurry said in a calm voice. “Then why are you out here”, I said, “I don’t know I just feel like something is going to go wrong” time of Flurry asking Zack to remove the spell)

I looked at Flurry confused “What do you mean” Flurry rolled her eyes "I don’t know maybe I just thought something was, this day has gone perfectly every time something happens that goes perfectly something goes wrong” I gave Flurry a kiss on the cheek about to say something but I was interrupted with from sirens Flurry let out a small giggle before she said “called it” looking at the ambulance, but she smiled faded as she saw it head the castle. “I worry that something would happen and it did happen”, Flurry said, “Don’t worry about it, Flurry. If somepony was hurt, I think we would know by now”, I said, “I think we should still check though”, Flurry said, “I think we should”, I said as the two of us then rushed downstairs as fast as we could. We got to where the ambulance was and we both gasped in shock as to who it was.

Author's Note:

this chapter took longer then i thought but it is here now enjoy