• Published 5th Nov 2022
  • 822 Views, 27 Comments

Growing Bonds - Zack Catcher



this is the story of zack catcher who is a changeling and Flurry heart and they are both still young

  • ...
9
 27
 822

Chapter 15: Preparation

It was just another day in the castle as I was signing some papers when I heard what sounded like a magical explosion. “Oh great,” I said as I quickly ran out to the courtyard to see what was going on. When I got there I saw Flurry and Zack, I walked over to them with a little considered look. “Pardon me but may I ask what you two are doing”? I said to Flurry and Zack. “We're just practising with Zack’s new power’s mom”.

Flurry said with a smile on her face. I rolled my eyes as Zack said “Is this what unicorns have to do with their magic”? “I’m guessing so I mean this is how I learned at school”. Flurry said, “Now just be careful you two, Twilight is coming over to help organize the library and I don't want any holes in it just like back when you were born”. I said as I walked back inside. I sat back down again as I continued to finish the rest of my work.

A few minutes later I finished the last of my duties that I had to do for the day and as got up from my desk I a guard came in the room and said “Cadence, twilight is here to see you”, I smiled at the guard as I said “send her in” of course, your highness the guard said as twilight walked into the room “Hello there Cadence ''. Twilight said with a smile on her face.

I returned the smile to Twilight as I walked up to her hugging her and saying “It’s such a treat ”. I said. “It's always a pleasure to see you Cadence”. Twilight said. Pulling me into a hug, after we pulled apart we started to head to the library. Once we arrived I turned to Twilight and asked “I just need help sorting out the strange fact section”

Twilight nodded eagerly, her eyes gleaming with excitement. "Of course, Cadence! Sorting out the strange fact section sounds like a fascinating task. Let's dive right into it."

We made our way to the section of the library dedicated to peculiar and extraordinary phenomena. Shelves were lined with books containing peculiar facts about the world, magical anomalies, and unexplained mysteries; we even came across a legends book that talks about Tirek discord and the sirens. As we continued to put all the books back a book fell from the shelf landing on a page with a picture of Zack

which immediately piqued my interest. I used my magic to pick up the book to get a better look at the picture, and it looked exactly like him. “This is interesting. Why would Zack be in a book”. I asked myself as I continued to read. “Red moon changelings have red eyes and wings and they are born every one hundred red moons. That must be why I didn't see one when they attacked the canterlot and all of the Equestria”.

I said to myself. I continued to read. I learned that red moon changelings don’t get hungry but they need to feed off love to survive. “That must be what happened all those years ago. Zack wasn’t intentionally trying to hurt Flurry, he just needed to feed. This explains so much. But he could be a threat to the empire. If he’s been doing this all along, oh boy”. I was standing there talking to myself when Twilight came over.

“All good over here”? Twilight said. “Yeah, all good over here”. I said as I tried to keep my cool. “Ok”. Twilight said before continuing her part. I knew I wanted to confront Zack but I needed proof first. “How can I get proof on a creature that’s all too rare”? I sat down and started to think of something anything but nothing came to mind.

Then I remembered something. I remembered one day when Flurry came home in tears. When I asked her why she was in tears, she said she couldn't read a book in class that her teacher gave to her. I didn’t see the book but I think it was about a rare creature. If I could ask Flurry, then they might be the same book. She might have known after all that he is a threat. This could change things as if she knew, she most likely would want to keep him close. I sat there as I tried to fill in the blanks in my head.

It didn’t make sense that Flurry would want to keep this all from me in the first place. No matter how much I played it in my head, it never made sense. Flurry knew about my past with changelings. Even though there was one good changeling, they were not my favourite creatures. She would have told me about this. . . right? Maybe as to not cause a panic but . . . .she would have told me . . . maybe . . . I’m to blame”? I stood there for what seemed like an eternity. At this point, Twilight was all done with her section of the library and went over to check on me.

“What’s taking so long? It looks like you have seen a shadow pony”? Twilight said. “Oh… Oh, nothing. Just taking a while to reorganize the book’s over here. “Let me help ya”. Twilight said as she helped me reorganize the library pretty quickly too. “That was fast”. I said. “Just wait until you see how fast I can reorganize my castle’s library”. Twilight said. “With or without magic”. I said. “Without”. Twilight said giving me a wink.”Wow”. I said looking at her surprised.

“Anyway, I am getting the feeling that my stomach is telling me to get some food right about now”. Twilight said. “I know a good place in the empire”. I said as we walked out of the castle and started to head towards a restaurant. “Is everything alright Cadence? You seem a bit on edge”. Twilight said in a nervous voice. I let out I sigh “While we were back in the library, I was thinking about why Flurry would keep Zack away from me. It just doesn’t make sense to me”. I said. “I don’t think you should worry about it anymore. You and Flurry just made up a few days ago, Don’t try and do something to jeopardize it right now.

You do remember what happened the last time you tried to split them up” Twilight said, “Your right” I said, as we continued to walk as we reached The Tasty Treat. We walked in, ordered and took a seat. Twilight was looking at the menu as she was wondering what she was gonna have, and I was still thinking about what to do. I knew Twilight said not to do anything and I knew she was right. I decided to wait and see if Zack does something that I needed to get involved in.

Flurry did seem to be happier ever since I let Zack stay with her, and I knew I couldn't risk her happiness like that ever again. Flurry would hate me for trying to split them up again and I would look terrible and just be a bad image to the empire. If only Shinning was still here. I turned my attention to the menu as I said “What to order, There are too many choices. I’m just gonna settle with the soup”.

A few minutes later and a waiter came and asked us what will it be. “I will just have the soup please ”, I said. “I’ll take a hayburger please”, Twilight said. The waiter then left and came back with our orders. We then ate our food and left the restaurant. As we left and headed back to the castle I tried to forget about what I was thinking about, but It was in my head and I couldn't get it out even though Twilight told me to. I knew that if I did act then it would escalate like last time. As we made our way back to the castle we saw Flurry and Zack still practicing Zack’s new powers. So far they haven’t destroyed the castle yet at least so there was something to be happy about.

When me and Twilight got back inside the castle, we started to discuss Flurry’s birthday party that was coming up tomorrow. “So what were you thinking for Flurry’s 18th birthday Cadence”, Twilight said. “I’m not initially sure yet”, I said. “I have a few ideas on what I am going to do”, Twilight said with a smirk on her face. “Let me guess, you think Pinkey should plan the party”, I said in a joking tone. twilight let out a small chuckle as she said “It’s kinda her thing” I rolled my eyes saying “I suppose that would work” Twilight calmed herself down as she looked at me

“Any ideas for gifts”, Twilight asked wondering what gift I was going to give Flurry. “I know she’s started to like wearing dresses. Maybe we can get a dress specially made for her”, I said scratching my head as I continued. “Maybe something in the spirit of the empire. Maybe a dress with crystals weaved into the fabric”. “She would love that”, twilight said clapping her hooves together. “Then what are we waiting for? We should head to the best designer I know”, Twilight said, as we started to head to the train station to go to Ponyville.

Once we got there, we headed off to the Carousel Boutique to order the dress. we knock on the door and Rarity let us in. “Darlings it's so good to see two again, Rarity said with a smile on her face. “It’s so good to see you two”, Twilight said hugging Rarity. “Aren’t you supposed to be planning Flurry’s birthday or did you get pinky for that”, Rarity said in a playful tone. “We were wondering if you could make a dress for Flurry’s birthday”, I said hoping she had time to do so.

“Daring, I would love to do that”, Rarity said with a smile as she continued “What kind of dress were you hoping to get”, “We were thinking of just a white dress with some small blue crystals weaved in the fabric if you have any at the disposal”, Twilight said with a smile. “Well lucky for you I just got a fresh order of crystals from the rock farm. I can get it to you in a few hours”

Rarity said before turning away to start work on the dress. “That would be great”, Twilight said. As she gave Rarity a smile before walking out of the store. “Ok, Flurry's gift is done. Should we head to sugar cube corner”, I said to Twilight. Twilight nodded her head as we then walked through the town to sugar cube corner.

Once we got there, we headed inside and Pinkey was there handing out orders. “Oh hay Twilight and Cadence, that can I do for you. “Oh hI pinkie We're just here to supply food for Flurry’s birthday party”, I said, Just then, Pinky then started to do her thing and jump up and down. Omg-can-I-plan-the-party-please”, Pinky said excitedly “We were just about to ask you that”, Twilight said. “So-that’s-a-yes”, Pinky said excitedly, “Yes it is”, I said letting out a giggle Pinky then got all crazy again, “I-need-to-plan-this-party-right-away”, Pinky said as she started to head upstairs.

“So can we get the food now”, Twilight said before Pinky zoomed downstairs. “OH Almost forgot that”, Pinky said as she turned around to get us the food, as we picked out the food and paid she went zooming upstairs. “Same old Pinky”, I said rolling before we left the store. “We should also head to sweet apple achers as well for more food”, Twilight said as we departed off to the farm. Once we got to the farm, we saw Applejack bucking some apple trees, “Oh hay there Sugarcubes”, Applejack said looking happy to see us.

“Hay Applejack”, Twilight said, “What can I do for yall”, Applejack said before hugging Twilight. “We need some food For Flurry’s birthday party, and we were wondering if we could take some apples for the party”, I said. “Well your in luck cause we have a ton of apples left over from cider season, I am happy to get yall some, especially for Flurry speaking of which how is that boyfriend of hers”, Applejack said, “He’s doing well after I let him stay in the empire”, I said, “Well al be darn, he sure seems like a nice fellow. Good on yall”, Applejack said, “He sure seems happy with being with Flurry. I haven’t seen her so happy not before her father passed”, I said, “It was a good call”, Applejack said, “Anyway I need to back to my chores right about now but I can deliver those apples in an in a few hours”, Applejack said.

. “Thank you Applejack”, Twilight said, “No need to thank me just helping out a friend”, Applejack said as we departed yet again. "Where to next”, I asked Twilight “We're all done with the decorations but we should invite Rainbow Dash to the party, Twilight said as we flew off to Cloudsdale. Once we got to the clouds, we went over to Rainbow Dashes.

We knocked on the door and she opened the door, “Oh hay guys”, Rainbow Dash said, “Hay Rainbow, we were wondering if you could come to Flurry’s birthday party tomorrow”, Twilight said with a smile on her face “Wouldn't miss it for the world, Do you need me to plan at all”, Rainbow Dash said, “Were all good from here”, I said. “Ok but I will definitely be there”, Rainbow Dash said as we left to visit the last stop for the day. We went over to Fluttershy’s cottage and knocked on the door. “Hello”, Fluttershy said. “Fluttershy it’s so good to see you again”, Twilight said, “It’s so good to see you as well”, Fluttershy said pulling Twilight and me into a hug. “We were wondering if you could come to Flurry’s birthday party tomorrow”, I said, “Oh my I would love to come”, Fluttershy said, “Great”, Twilight said. Just then, there was a loud crash inside the cottage. “Oh dear, I think Angel wants another carrot, Fluttershy said before turning away to check on Angel, “We will be on our way now”, I said as we left.

“That was the last of the stops for today”, Twilight said. “We better start decorating for tomorrow”, I said as we left for the train station and headed back to the crystal empire. Once we got back to the empire, we went into the ballroom to start setting up only to find Pinky was already setting up. “Pinky what are you doing”, Twilight said. “I’m just setting up for the party silly”, Pinky said. “The party is tomorrow”, Cadence said. “Plus how did you get here in such a short time”, Twilight said. “When there’s a party that needs me I come right away plus I got vinyl scratch to perform at the party Pinky said looking excited.

“How did you do all of this in only half an hour”, I said, “Come on twilight you out of anypony should know that do this all the time”, Pinky said before returning to setting up the party. “I will never understand that pony”, I said when Twilight put her hoof on me. “None of us do and I’ve known Pinky for a long time and she will get this party ready for tomorrow”, Twilight said. We then walked out of the ballroom to let Pinky do her thing. We also saw that Flurry and Zack were still practising Zack’s powers. “I imagine they still will practice until the sun goes down, " I said, laughing. “Even better, she will be focused on that so we don’t have to hide as much.

Just then, Flurry came up to us saying “Mom look at what me and Zack have been practicing” I nodded my head as Zack began to put on a firework show, and as the show went on a few ponies came out of there homes to watch the show as well