• Published 1st Sep 2022
  • 708 Views, 155 Comments

The Equestria Chronicles: Journey Through The Crystal Mountains - Slippin_Sweetie



When the Cutie Map calls our heroes to action, they begin the journey of a lifetime, through the treacherous peaks of the Crystal Mountains. As Starlight Glimmer plot's her revenge against Twilight Sparkle for usurping her rule of Our Town.

  • ...
2
 155
 708

The Queen, The Pawn, And The Bishop

Trixie realized her error as soon as the patron turned around. Starlight didn't even need to say anything.

"Trixie apologizes, but she must leave to help other ponies in need!" she whinnied before pulling out a small round object from her cape and tossing it at the ground. The pellet exploded into a powdery white substance that filled the air, giving the pair enough time to run towards the exit.

"This way!" Trixie hissed, leading Starlight towards her wagon, "Help me move this thing or I'll tell everypony what you did to our Princess! I might be a thief, but you're-- you're-- worse than that!!" the blood rapidly pumping through her thick head made it difficult to string together a sentence at that moment,"You know what I mean!"

Starlight quickly galloped behind Trixie as she threw her cloak off her and slammed the door behind her. Fiddling with the lock with her magic, she rolled her eyes, “Didn’t you enslave an entire village, at least I convinced the ponies of my village to remove their Cutie Marks! And you’re going to blackmail me!? At least have the magic to back yourself up before you threaten me!”

Trixie snorted, "Puh-lease, at least my excuse is that I was under the influence of an evil amulet! You're just-- you're Evil! And who needs magic when you have the ability to get what you want by doing literally nothing but talking?" Trixie replied rapidly, turning back to check and make sure the patrons hadn't managed to get out of the tavern yet, "Plus, I think the princess would hate to see you more than me, so there!"

Starlight quickly began to move the cart with her levitation magic as she began to strain herself, “Oh, so NOW you’re a fan of our dear Princess when the going gets tough!”

The blue unicorn cringed at the threatening sound of splintering wood as the drunks attempted to force their way out of the establishment. Turning back to Starlight she yelled, "Set it down here, set it down!!" She hissed, "And carefully!!"

Starlight quickly moved the cart as she groaned and whined, struggling to maneuver the cart toward the more open area as the sound of the tavern door being damaged and the shouting of the drunken ponies threatened to spill out into the street tested her nerves.

As soon as the wagon was on the ground, Trixie ran towards the harness at the front, strapping herself in. Turning back towards Starlight she motioned to the wagon behind her, "Well?! What are you waiting for?? Get it! And pull that string to your right." hanging beside the front seat of the wagon was a long cord.

Pulling on it, the wagon seemed to completely transform, the brightly painted stars on the wagon covered by dark pieces of cloth. Trixie pulled off her cape and tossed it towards her passenger before taking off her hat, pulling a long black cloak out from its depths.

Repeating the same process with her hat, she tossed it back towards the lilac unicorn and slipped on the disguise before trotting forward, doing her best not to seem out of the ordinary.

“And I’m not evil; you’re just too stupid to think for yourself!” Snapped Starlight, “I’m not going to argue ethics and morality with somepony who openly tells everypony that they COMMITTED A CRIME!”

"It's not MY fault that I'm extremely well-spoken!!" Trixie hissed in reply as she trotted along; now that she thought about it, why was she even helping this strange mare? All she had done was cause trouble for Trixie! The next chance she got, she was going to find a way to dump her...

Starlight grumbled and huffed as the articles of clothing were thrown at her face. She was getting extremely tired of this mare. No backbone, cowardly, and most importantly of all, stupid. If she truly was some sort of stereotypical villain, then Trixie would be her bumbling sidekick.

“At least minions and side-kicks don’t talk back,” muttered Starlight.

Trixe immediately turned her head at that remark and spat her own back, "I heard that, and I'll tell you right now, if either of us is the sidekick, it's definitely you!"

A voice called out to Trixie from somewhere, “They’re not that stupid…” called the stranger.

Letting out a squeak at the voice, the blue mare turned to try and find the source of it. Glancing at Starlight carefully, Trixie grimaced. "That better not be you pulling a trick on me, I swear..."

“Do I sound like a stallion to you?” barked Starlight.

"I don't know, do you?" Trixie spat back.

“Over here.” Called the voice, they approached closer the mares saw…a storm drain.

“Way to go Trixie; you brought us to a storm drain,” clapped Starlight as she rolled her eyes.

Turning to Starlight, the blue magician narrowed her gaze, "If you want to pull the wagon while I get some well-deserved rest, be my guest."

“I can help you.” echoed the voice, “But you have to promise me not to scream, and to help me in return…” whispered the timid voice. Whoever he was, he sounded weak and tired.

Looking back down at the storm drain, Trixie let out a sigh and glanced at Starlight with a cocked brow.

"Please tell me we're not following the creepy voice into the dark sewers... I just got my hooves done at the spa!!"

“....You’re not very bright, are you?” the voice replied.

“She really isn’t,” Starlight interjected.

"Have literally either of you gotten into Celestia's School for the Gifted? No? That's what I thought," she snorted indignantly before pulling off her harness and approaching the sewer drain. She felt a bit of a chill as she approached. It reminded her of some old mares tale.

The voice took a deep breath, “Okay… look, put your hooves down, and I’ll grab hold, then you’ll pull me up. But, promise me you won’t scream.”

"Trixie promises nothing." Trixie wrinkled her nose at the request, glancing over at Starlight with clear hesitation and fear in her eyes. Looking down the dark abyss of the sewer, Trixie began to slowly lift a hoof towards it, "Are we really about to do this...?"

Starlight would obviously say no, it’s not wise to stuff your hooves down a sewer. But for that one little quip, she was going to make an exception by Celestia. This mare could be dragged into the abyss for all she cared; that was one headache permanently removed.

“Sure, go ahead. I don’t see why not,” innocently suggested Starlight.

“I really think you should hurry up; those ponies are still banging against the door,” calmly stated the voice.

Trixie looked over at Starlight and stared, "I am not sticking my hoof down there alone, so help me if I get eaten, so will you," snatching Starlight's hoof in hers, she forced them both down the sewer drain, awaiting whatever may happen to them.

“Why didn’t we just pull him up!?” shouted Starlight as she was forcibly dragged from the cart and into the storm drain.

“Wait, wait, I was going to help-”

A loud splash was made as the mares crashed into a shallow stream of water. As the mares quickly scrambled up from the cold water, Starlight slowly stared up at the light shining into the drain.

She’d quickly snap to Trixie, “What is wrong with you!? Why would you go into a sewer!?” snarled Starlight.

“Actually, it’s a storm drain; they’re different,” Corrected the creature.

Trixie let out a squeal and grunt as they tumbled inside. Frankly, she hadn't meant to fall head first into the drain, but she had been admittedly a little excited when she had done so. "Whatever, we're both in the muck now, regardless."

Starlight sighed before she slowly picked herself up with levitating magic, “I’m getting out of here," before she could fly out of the storm drain, the loud sound of glass shattering and screaming ponies echoed through the city streets.

“Where’d they go!?” shouted one pony.

“They went this way!” yelled another pony as the sound of a galloping herd of ponies trembled through the city streets.

Starlight slowly descended before landing on her hooves, completely dumbfounded for a moment.

“......I don’t know if this is a good time, but I wanted to be pulled UP from the storm drain, not have you guys down here with me.” sighed the voice, “Well, since you’re down here, I guess I’ll help you get out someplace safe...Now, don’t freak out, but…I may not be who, rather…what you expect, are you ready?” qestioned the voice.

"I'm not leaving my wagon here; that's my house and storage all in one!" Trixie bleated out, "And no, I'm not ready for... whatever you are, you weirdo! Get out of the dark already."

The voice sighed, “Hey, other pony, if she screams can you quiet her down?”

Starlight smirked, “You know what, that’s the first good idea I have heard from some pony else all day!”

Trixie ignored the obvious threat to stifle her screams, cocking her brow at the term 'pony'. "So, what, are you not a pony? A griffin perhaps?" She turned to Starlight and huffed, rolling her eyes.

The creature slowly revealed himself as he stepped into the light; his body was dark as the night, with green emerald compound eyes that bulged out of his skull. The Changeling was frail looking and noticeably thin. He appeared weakened and non-threatening, but both ponies knew of the Changeling attack on Canterlot and the creature's cunning and deceptive ways.

“Look, I’ll help you get out of the storm drain, I’ll even help you get to your cart and escape the City, but I need to eat, please I’m starving!” pleaded the Changeling.

Trixie felt her heart leap into her throat, ready to book it and run at any second, the only thing keeping her was the fear locking her limbs into place. The poor unicorn mare let out several small whimpers, muttering as she attempted to speak.

"Ch-Cha Cha chaaa...." Trixie chattered, finally finding her words. "C-Changeling!!" the unicorn scrambled to reach for the storm drain in a vain attempt to pull herself up, desperately trying to get away from the pitch-black insectoid.

Starlight quickly grabbed Trixie, slamming her to the ground as she pressed her hoof to the mare’s mouth, “Did you forget the mob of ponies still looking for us!? For once in your life, use your head!”

The Changeling slowly approached, “Please, I’m not going to hurt you; I can’t hurt you– I’m too weak to even disguise myself anymore! I can help you, if you will; just please listen!” pleaded the starved creature.

Starlight slowly looked down at Trixie, “I’m going to remove my hoof from your mouth, and you better keep quiet if you don’t keep your mouth shut. I will remove your mouth for you!”

Trixie forced the mare's hoof away, struggling to get free, ignoring yet again another threat of bodily harm. The lilac mare quickly climbed off of Trixie before turning to the Changeling.

“Look…I don’t know who you are, but since you two are in a bad way like I am. I think we can all agree to cooperate; we’re all wanted by the Crystal Empire for one reason or another, so let’s just work together for a little bit, so everycreature gets what they want," offered the Changeling.

Starlight quickly nodded, “That’s….completely reasonable, actually,” she chuckled, “Oh my Celestia, something reasonable? Did my day finally turn around?” Starlight asked aloud.

Turning to Starlight, Trixie’s eyes bulged. "Are you for real? You seriously believe the word of a stranger, heck, a Changeling, and you're going to trot off with him? How do you know he's not going to lead us to his hive and suck out our juices?!" She scoffed, "And I thought you were smart!"

Starlight rolled her eyes, “Look at him, Trixie; he’s starved. You can practically see his ribcage!”

“Exoskeleton,” corrected the Changeling.

“His exoskeleton,” parroted Starlight.

“Besides, why would he even reveal himself to us of all ponies? We’re wanted mares. If this was a trap, they would’ve picked some average-looking pony to kidnap or somepony of more importance.” Starlight said as if she were invested or educated in some sort of Changeling plot herself.

“She’s right,” nodded the Changeling, “And for your information, I’m by myself. I left the Hive months ago.”

"So what? That doesn't mean he's harmless! Look at those teeth!" Trixie spat back, making sure to keep her distance. "And why would he reveal himself? Well, duh, Starlight, he wants to lure us into a false sense of security to feed off of us and leave us as husks!" The blue unicorn mare couldn't understand how this wasn't obvious. "Of course, they would want to take us; we're very powerful and intelligent unicorns; they want to weaken the Empire and Equestria at the same time!"

“If he was going to attack us, wouldn’t he have done it by now? Besides, he wanted us to pull him out of the storm drain in the first place!” Snapped Starlight, “You’re overreacting, and who cares about Equestria and the Crystal Empire!? We’re both criminals!”

The Changeling sighed, “Look, you can either try to find your way out or give me some of your love. Because I don’t have all day, I’m going to die at this rate!” begged the Changeling.

"He just wants to lure us into a false sense of security..." The blue unicorn spat back. Her eyes widened at the assumption she was a criminal, despite her earlier crimes. "How dare you! I might be a thief and a con, but I'm not like... like... you!"

“Oh Puh-lease!” mocked Starlight, “You enslaved all of Ponyville and used an ancient amulet of absolute power to one-up Twilight Sparkle! At least I have a cause, and a goal in mind outside of pettiness!”

"That was ages ago, I told you so like, ten minutes ago! Do you have that little of an attention span?!" Trixie yelled, going up on her tippy-hooves as she loomed over Starlight, nearly on her last nerve.

“BOTH OF YOU JUST PLEASE, SHUT UP!” snapped the Changeling.

Trixie jumped at the shouting, leaping away from the Changeling with increasing fear and suspicion, although she had to admit she was glad to stop arguing, "What the heck do you mean, give you our 'love'? How does that even work?" her face was curled up into disgust, unsure of how to approach this creature.

“Love is a feeling, an emotion! You love ponies, places, and things. But it has to be true love! Think of something you love dearly, and hone in on that emotion, then I’ll just eat on the magic! Then we can all go our separate ways and never speak to each other again!” explained The Changeling.

"Really, it's that simple. And what if we leave this sewer and decide to report you to the royal guard? What then?" questioned Trixie.

The Changeling paused as he attempted to come up with an answer to her question before lamely replying, “I don’t know….” he lowered his head in defeat.

Trixie rolled her eyes at the changeling's response, "Of course, you didn't because you didn't think ahead, did you? You just saw two ponies you could take advantage of!"

The creature ignored her quip, shaking his head, “… I guess I’ll just keep on hiding like I always do. But, you wouldn’t do that; you have to save yourselves. You’re both criminals!” he said as he perked up, “I’ll just turn you in so I can win the favor of the ponies!”

The Changeling let out a desperate and relieved laugh, “They’ll want to be my friends for sure! I’ll finally be able to make some real friends then!”

At his threat, she scoffed, leaning over to laugh in his face. If he was really this naïve, she had no fear of him, "Puh-lease! Do you honestly think ANYPONY in the Royal Guard would take your word against ours? You're a soul-sucking Changeling! You really think they're going to jump to be friends with the likes of you?"

Starlight, for a moment, felt fear in her heart; she couldn’t let this Changeling and this fool ruin everything. All of her efforts were thwarted by elements outside of her control. She needed to dispose of this problem… but she could also use the powers of the Changeling to benefit herself too.

She took a deep breath before calmly, and cooly replying, “You wouldn’t want that.”

The Changeling tilted his head in confusion, “I– what? What do you mean!? That’s why I left the hive in the first place!”

“It's a noble pursuit, but you’re just too different to actually be friends with ponies. I mean, do you really think they’ll be friends with you of all creatures? A Changeling, the creatures responsible for kidnapping Princess Cadance and nearly overthrowing Equestria?”

Starlight shook her head, “I pity you; it’s honestly inspiring how you would turn your back on everything in the hopes of making friends. So, go ahead. Turn us in, and watch as they show their gratitude by throwing you in the next cell over. Or chase you out of town.”

“That’s not true! You’re just saying that to convince me not to turn you in; you’re criminals!” he retorted.

“True, but the reason I’m running from the law is very different from my…acquaintance here. I believe in a world where all ponies-no creatures are equal! I had a village that was an actual Utopia, where nopony was better than any pony else. The Princesses and even the ponies are no different than your Changeling Queen and Hive.”

“They’re all self-centered and egotistical, believing in their superiority. I mean, you heard my associate here; she called us ‘powerful and intelligent' in comparison to you. She believes she’s better than you!”

The Changeling seemed to be taken aback by the harsh reality of Starlight’s words as he seemed to physically shrivel and recoil at the fact he wouldn’t be accepted, “But what about Princess Twilight and her friends? Surely they would accept me.”

“Princess Twilight destroyed my Utopia! She wants to keep us different, separated. Whether it’s by our Cutie Marks or by species. I mean, you don’t hear her preaching equality and unity with our fellow creatures, do you?”

“I guess not….” he admitted

“But, I think personally we, ponies and Changeling’s have a lot in common. I personally believe we could be friends.”

The Changeling slowly perked his head up, “Really? Us friends?...”

“Of course; I mean, no po-creature is better than anybody else, right?”

He slowly nodded, “Yeah, yeah, that makes a lot of sense, but I’m still going to starve. Will you give me your love?”

Starlight swallowed as she began to feel uneasy; she had no idea how Changeling’s feed or how it could affect her. But she slowly turned to Trixie, “Yes, we’ll both help you.”

She cocked her brow as she processed Starlight's manipulation of the creature. In some ways, she was disgusted by the act, but she also admired the skill in doing so. Not many ponies could do that on a whim, especially with one outside their species.

"Woah, don't volunteer me for anything; I'm not getting another hoof near that thing, you'll have to pay me!" The blue unicorn protested, realizing what she was being backed into. Glancing at the Changeling she added, “Hey, don’t just go along with her because you feel bad, she sounds like a despot.”

Starlight rolled her eyes at Trixie’s accusation of tyranny, “Trixie, I’m not a tyrant I’m a…freedom fighter. A visionary for a better world.” She smirked, taking pride in herself, “ the world just isn’t ready for equality, is all. But you can stay in the storm drain while me and my new friend escape," the unicorn quickly approached the Changeling standing next to him defiantly.

"Riiiight, you totally didn't have a throne or a centerpiece to your town that you looked over with an iron hoof." Trixie rubbed her eyes before turning towards the strange Changeling, ignoring Starlight's quip.

“Oh my goodness, I never had a friend before!” Beamed the Changeling, “Let’s share our names! I’m Thorax.”

“Well, Thorax, you are now my main confidante; together, we will change the world. For the promise of a better tomorrow!” proudly proclaimed Starlight.

"Please, er... Thorax, don't go along willingly with this... stranger. You were taught stranger danger, weren't you?" Trixie cocked her head, taken back by the seeming naivety of the chitinous black creature.

Thorax paused for a moment before he shook his head, “Actually… no. There’s no such thing as a stranger in The Changeling Queendom, just your fellow drone.”

“What a great mentality to have, friend; now you were saying about love?” offered Starlight.

The blue unicorn mare was appalled by that answer, "Wow... Changelings don't really care about their foals, do they?" She glanced at Starlight, grimacing at her response. What kind of reply was that?

The Changeling quickly hissed as his narrow thin snake-like tongue whipped at the air. Starlight shrieked as she jumped away from Thorax.

“S-sorry! I’m just so hungry….”

Trixie too, jumped back at the display of teeth, and turned to Starlight, "See what I mean?! He's an uncontrollable animal!" although her opinion of him was beginning to soften, despite her venom. His soft voice and seemingly convincing unfamiliarity with common sense made it very easy to empathize with him. Too easy, in her opinion...

"Well, why don't you eat a sandwich?? Or, I don't know, do your... Changeling thing... and suck the love out of other ponies instead of us!"

Thorax tilted his head at Trixie, “First off, Queen Chrysalis takes care of the nursery where changelings are born; secondly, we can’t eat food. We can only process the magic love has. I will gladly explain all the nitty-gritty details of Changeling biology once I’m not STARVING to death.”

Trixie wrinkled her nose at the thought of not being able to eat her favorite foods; it sounded like a terrible existence to be forced into. What a terrible, pitiful creature... perhaps Trixie should afford him a little kindness, so long as it got her out of this mess.

Sighing, Trixie deflated, rubbing at her pounding skull. All of this excitement seemed to be wearing on her nerves,"Okay, alright... you just want us to... think of something we like, and that's it?"

Thorax shook his head, “No! It has to be something you love! And I really mean love with all of your heart’s desire. It can be anything, a pony, a place, a thing, your favorite food! It just has to be true love!”

The blue unicorn cocked a brow at the explanation, still not entirely understanding the process. Sure, she could imagine what she loved, but how was he going to pluck that feeling from her mind and feed off of it?

Starlight took a deep breath as she stepped forward, “I’ll go first….”

“Thank you, friend; now just think of something you love.” Ordered Thorax.

Starlight squeezed her eyes shut before thinking of what she truly loved. Her village…she loved that little village. Even though it was simple, it was still her home. She focused on that feeling, the warmth that her home brought her.

Thorax slowly approached as he opened his maul and began sucking a strange pink mist from Starlight's body as it was absorbed inside him. Starlight winced as she flinched. Thorax pleasantly hissed as he quickly smacked his lips and panted heavily.

“Oh, thank the stars! Thank you, thank you! I feel better already!” exclaimed the Changeling.

Starlight hobbled a bit before she sat down against the wall behind her, “It’s not so bad; I just feel a little lightheaded, is all.”

Thorax slowly turned to Trixie as he waited for her answer expectantly.

Watching as the process took place, Trixie felt nauseous just thinking about that happening to her. But at least the creature was satisfied, so wasn't that enough?

"You... need more?" She squeaked, still uncomfortable with the idea, "Honestly, I don't know how I'm going to be able to imagine something I love with you doing... that."

Thorax slowly approached, “Please! This isn’t enough; I need more to be able to use my magic. I haven’t eaten since I left The Hive, and that was months ago!”

“We don’t need her Thorax,” chimed Starlight, “She made her choice, and now she can stay down here while we escape.”

“Well… what if she wants to be my friend too?” Thorax suggested.

Starlight suppressed the urge to snap at the Changeling as she put on her most kind expression, “Oh well, she sees you as a pest. She doesn’t want to be your friend. She called you an animal!”

Thorax slowly turned to Trixie before facing Starlight, “You said you wanted to create a better world; how are we supposed to do that if we don’t extend our hooves to others?”

Starlight quickly scrambled for an answer, “I well, you see that takes time I-”

“I agree, but we need proof that Changelings and ponies can be friends if we’re going to change the world. Why don’t we start with your friend?” suggested Thorax.

“She’s not my friend,” snapped Starlight, “But if you feel like wasting your time, be my guest. When you’re finished, we can both escape,” grumbled Starlight as she walked away, giving a moment to Thorax and Trixie.

Trixie's eyes snapped from Thorax to Starlight during their argument, unsure of who to side with. To her chagrin, she was slowly more and more coming to the conclusion that Thorax, of either of the two, was the more convincing. He was a lot friendlier, too, unlike Starlight, who seemed to want to challenge and argue with her at every moment.

And considering that their lilac unicorn friend was more than likely an ex-cult leader, she was beginning to regret allowing her to tag along. She should have just jumped out of the second-story window of that office and escaped.

Watching as the strange mare trotted away, Trixie rolled her eyes before turning to Thorax, scanning over him with a critical eye.

"So, you just want my 'love,' and then we can leave?" she sighed, glancing away for a brief moment before nodding, "Fiiiiiine. Just.... make it quick, okay?"

Closing her eyes, Trixie summoned the few things that she could admit that truly gave her joy in life. Performing, learning new tricks, the comfort of her wagon, and the looks on her audience's faces when she left them stupefied. The blue unicorn winced as the Changeling began to feed, the sensation, unlike anything she had experienced before. Once he was done, she took a knee on the ground, trying to catch her breath.

"Is... is that all?" she whispered, clearly out of breath from the ordeal.

The Changeling happily smacked his lips as he beamed brightly at Trixie, “Yup, that’s it! Pretty simple right? Sorry about tiring you out, though; apparently, it takes a lot out of you,” he chuckled at his own pun.

“Get it? I literally took it out of you?” He’d smile at her warmly, “Are you okay? Here let me help you up,” Thorax carefully assisted Trixie as he helped the pony to her hooves.

Trixie seemed nearly ready to lie down on the disgusting stone floor of the sewer to take a nap. "Yeah... yeah, very funny..." She muttered, leaning against the Changeling without protest, far too exhausted to protest the contact.

“Now, let’s get out of here; we have a better world to build!” proclaimed Thorax as he quickly took flight, buzzing toward the direction Starlight went.

"Let's hope she doesn't get us into any more trouble..." grumbled Trixie.