• Published 1st Sep 2022
  • 708 Views, 155 Comments

The Equestria Chronicles: Journey Through The Crystal Mountains - Slippin_Sweetie



When the Cutie Map calls our heroes to action, they begin the journey of a lifetime, through the treacherous peaks of the Crystal Mountains. As Starlight Glimmer plot's her revenge against Twilight Sparkle for usurping her rule of Our Town.

  • ...
2
 155
 708

Put On Your Best Poker Face

After traversing the labyrinth of water maintenance tunnels, Starlight quickly popped the ponyhole lid as she, Thorax, and Trixie climbed their way out of the storm and sewage system. The fresh air was more than welcomed for the tired creatures.

Starlight took a deep breath before quietly whispering to herself, “Never. Again.”

Once he managed to get to the surface, Thorax watched over Trixie before helping the mare to her hooves. The showpony looked up suspiciously at the changeling, staring at his hoof before eventually taking it, grateful to be out of the muck.

“We’re a few blocks away from the cart, I can go get it if you want, and you guys can hide,” suggested Thorax.

“Whatever you do, don’t break it! And don’t get too bumpy with her; she’s an antique.” Trixie instructed, glaring at the creature.

Thorax smiled warmly at Trixie, “Don’t worry, Trixie, I promise it’ll be exactly as you had it.”

The unicorn stared at Thorax, still unwilling to give him the benefit of the doubt. He just seemed too nice, especially for a Changeling.

“Fine by me,” sighed Starlight, “We’ll hide out and wait til you come back with the wagon, and then we can go to phase two of my plan.”

“What’s phase two?” questioned Thorax.

Starlight nervously smiled, “I’m….working on it.”

“Oh, you have some big plan, do you?” Trixie rolled her eyes, “Well, whatever it is, it better be good. And once that changeling gets my cart, I’m leaving. I’m not getting involved in... whatever it is you’re doing.”

Starlight sighed, “Look, I’m trying to figure out a plan that benefits everyone; now shut up while I think-”

A blood-curdling crack echoed through the street as Trixie and Starlight turned to the sound. They saw a small green haze surround the changeling as his body twisted and contorted, manipulating itself to take shape.

The bone-chilling symphony parroted cracking and snapping bone. But despite this horrifying display of nature. Thorax seemed unaffected. The changeling quickly changed into the shape of a pony—a younger-looking colt with a blue coat and mane, with a vase for a cutie mark.

Starlight’s jaw hung a gap as Thorax gave his two friend’s a bright smile, “I’ll be right back!”

Trixie’s face turned bright green at the sight and sound of that horrible display. She rushed toward the ponyhole they had just climbed out of and vomited up her lunch, spitting, and retching at the rancid taste.

Lifting herself back up, Trixie turned to Starlight in a daze,“You’re really going to tag along with that thing?”

Starlight snapped out of the trance that Thorax had put her in. The almost monstrous display had nearly taken her out of the world around her if not for Trixie’s squawking. The unicorn sighed before turning to the showpony, “Yes, we’re friends now, and he and I share a vision for a better world.”

She’d shrug, “It’s fine; you’re just too headstrong and dim to see the future where Changeling and Ponies live together in harmony.” Starlight hissed, giving Trixie a smug and cocksure smirk.

Trixie snorted, using her magic to straighten her mane and hat, “Pfftt, you aren’t *friends*. You’re just using him for your own gain. He might be a Changeling, but he’s naive... and you’ve got a personality disorder written all over you. Your delusions of grandeur, as if you’re special and going to make a world of difference. Puh-lease. You have no chance when you can’t even make friends with your own species.”

Starlight rolled her eyes, “You just lack the initiative and vision. Unlike you, I have the power and potential to do something to really change the world,” she’d snap a smug expression at Trixie, “And I’m actually powerful, unlike some pony I know….”

“And there you go again, classic narcissist, thinking you’re better than everypony else,” Trixie smirked, flicking her tail, “But the difference is, I actually am Great and Powerful. I know how to hold a stage, and perform for an adoring audience! And what do you have, Starlight? Nopony but yourself and some bug who will probably eat you the first chance it gets.”

Starlight slowly approached Trixie, pressing her front hoof against the mare’s chest, a cold and wrathful gaze laid upon the showpony as her words struck like venom, “I have the good graces to keep my mouth shut and know when I’ve said too much. I also know a few spells that would solve all my issues with you. So unless you want to know exactly what I have. I recommend you keep your mouth shut.”

Trixie took a deep breath, her instincts had told her to take a step back, but she held still, her pride not letting her back down to this strange unicorn. But the threat did not go over her head, a slight chill ran down her spine. Her gaze hardened slightly, but the small smirk plastered to her face didn’t fall. She didn’t want Starlight to know her words had sunk in.

Thorax quickly galloped to the two mares before screeching to a halt; he’d slowly look up at Trixie and Starlight timidly, “Sooo….I have some bad news, REALLY bad news.”

Starlight sighed as she instantly shifted her bitter tone into a more friendlier one, “What is it, Thorax?”

“Well, first off. The cart’s gone, and the entire lower part of the city is crawling with Royal Guards; they even have Prince Shining Armor personally looking for us!” fretted Thorax.

The unicorn turned to Thorax, her eyes widening as she began struggling to speak through her anger, “You– they– are you kidding me?! How are we going to get my wagon now?! And they probably already found those fireworks in the back... ugh! This is all your fault!” she hissed at Starlight, forgetting her earlier fear.

“Wait…Shining Armor?.... Did you see him?” Starlight pressed, ignoring Trixie’s whining.

“Yeah, he was with some big general, officer pony; why?”

“This is perfect! Alright, new plan. Trixie, make yourself useful, walk out in front of Shining Armor, and lead him and his men to the alley behind us. Then I will take out the guards, and then Thorax here can disguise himself as the prince.”

“What about the other guards?” questioned Thorax.

Starlight winked, “Don’t worry, my friend; I will take care of them.”

“Just make sure nocreature gets hurt; we need the public’s good graces; we’re not criminals after all.” Thorax beamed, already enveloped by Starlight’s ideology.

Starlight gave a confused smile, “Yes…our public image is….most important for our movement. After that, Thorax disguised as Shining Armor will ‘arrest’ us and ‘take us in’ where we can most likely find the cart, then we can escape.”

The unicorn’s eyes widened as Starlight laid out her plan, “Are you INSANE?! You want to go hoof to hoof against not only the royal guard but Shining Armor?! You do realize he was captain of *Celestia’s* royal guard, right? Not only that, but he was an alumni at Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns. You have no chance!”

“And you!” Trixie pointed her hoof at the changeling, a disgusted sneer on her lips, “Are you really so simple-minded and eager to help that you’ll follow a complete stranger you’ve had a total of, what, two conversations with? Grow some backbone! Or are you changelings really just a hivemind and have no free will of your own? You’re so pathetic it’s disgusting.”

“I’m not going to make this any worse for myself– in fact, I’m going to go turn myself in! I’m not going to get involved in whatever cult you’re interested in creating,” Trixie lifted her snout into the air and began walking, “I shall at least keep my dignity and a lesser sentence for turning you two in!”

Thorax raised his front legs defensively, “How could I not? She saved my life; I was on the brink of death! You saved my life too, and if you ever need a favor from me, let it be known that I am BOTH in your debt. But right now, we need to work together, even if it’s just for a little while, if we want to escape. So I’m going to push aside that rude comment about The Changelings and me for now. Besides, have a little faith in Starlight; she did say she went hoof to hoof with Twilight Sparkle; what’s this Shining Armor guy have on either of them?”

“Then, do me a favor and stop mindlessly believing everything you hear,” Trixie rolled her eyes, “Well, for one, he was the stallion keeping your changeling army from invading Canterlot; if memory serves, he won awards for his shield spells in school. And unlike Twilight, he probably trained in advanced combat spells in the guard. Honestly, am I the only one with a brain here?”

“Why can’t you have faith like our dear friend Thorax?” chimed Starlight, “But if you want to throw your life away behind bars, be my guest. But we’re not going to throw away our goal for a better world, right Thorax?”

Thorax shrugged, “Hey, it’s better than my life with the hive.”

Starlight sighed, “Alright new plan, Thorax disguises as Trixie, brings in the guards, and we’ll continue the plan while Trixie throws away her future and freedom. Now, does everycreature agree?”

The showpony whipped around, indignation in her gaze, “Excuse me? While I would love to have another me trotting around, I’m not going to let you sully my image with a pale imitation!” flipping her mane, Trixie turned back around before striking a pose, “If you really need an actor, there is no substitute for the Great and Irreplaceable Trixie!”

Pulling out a smoke pellet from her cape, she threw it to the ground, surrounding the three in smoke. Trixie simply trotted out with a smirk, heading towards her cart.

Coughing and fanning the smoke away, Starlight stared at Trixie as she willingly participated in their plan despite wailing, whining, and complaining about the sum of its parts not even a minute ago. Chuckling to herself, she found it amusing that Trixie kept proving herself to be more than she expected. Whenever Starlight thought she figured her out, Trixie would surprise her.

Trixie trotted forward, head held up high, her pride beaming brightly in her stride and smile. All of that came crashing down the moment the guards saw her.

Shining Armor and Velvet Bristle quickly turned to Trixie, “Halt! You are under arrest; come with us or suffer the consequences!” ordered Velvet. The earlier confidence she had experienced came crashing down; she was shaking in her metaphorical boots.

She froze for a moment before her stage persona came to the surface once more, “Aha, it seems as if the royal guard were so helpless to find me; I needed to trot right up to them to give them a chance! Now let’s see if you can catch the Great and Powerful Trixie!”

Throwing down another smoke pellet, Trixie ran in the direction she had just come from and towards the alley, hoping that Starlight’s plan wasn’t actually as crazy as it sounded.

Shining Armor quickly dispersed the smoke with his magic as he, Velvet, and a few earth pony guards chased after her, “I want that mare!” ordered Shining, “She’s the key to finding Starlight Glimmer!”

Trixie's heart pounded as the mare galloped into the alley; as she raced down the tight corridors, she didn’t see anypony, not Thorax or Starlight. Realizing she was alone before becoming cornered.

“By Order of Princess Cadance and Prince Shining Armor, you are under arrest for theft, assault, and collaborating with known enemies of the Empire and Equestria!” boomed Velvet, “Surrender now or suffer the consequences!”

Trixie not-so-quietly cursed Starlight and that Changeling; she should have known she would've been backstabbed! Why did she let herself be tempted by that stupid unicorn’s tricks?!

“Please, it wasn’t my fault; she forced me to!” Trixie stuttered out, tail between her legs as she backed up.

Starlight slowly appeared behind the platoon of ponies as she quickly shot a small magic ball into the air, completely missing the group.

As soon as the mare stepped into the alleyway, Trixie pointed at her, “See?! It was her! She forced me to do all of this!”

The ponies turned around to face Starlight as Shining Armor quickly glared at Starlight, “So you’re the one that’s been causing so much trouble.”

“Yes, yes, I’m sure it’s all very personal to you, but I think you should just… relax," the mare smiled cooly; as a strange glittering substance began to fall from above as it landed on the small group of ponies; Shining Armor quickly realized his failing, “Sleep spell! Officer Velvet, use Greater Restoration spell!”

The earth ponies quickly toppled over as they began to fall fast asleep; Officer Velvet fought desperately as his eyes began to feel heavy, “Mmnngggh… trying sir… too… powerful… I’m… I’m sorry….” he’d quickly fall to his knees before falling fast asleep.

Shining Armor’s horn quickly burned a bright blue as he began to encompass himself with his magic, using the spell to fight the growing exhaustion and tiredness.

Starlight sighed as she shook her head, “Greater restoration? You’ll only tire yourself more against my sleep spell.”

Shining narrowed his eyes at the tyrannical mage; the unicorns quickly fired powerful hyper beams of magic at one another; Starlight growled as she desperately attempted to push back against Shining Armor. The stallion took a deep breath as he focused in on Starlight, honing his magic as his beam pushed back Starlight’s.

Starlight dug her hooves into the ground as she squeezed her eyes shut and pushed back with all of her might; Shining remained calm and collected as he kept the mare on the back petal. Their magic cracked and whistled like fireworks. Trixie watched on in horror and fear as the two fought it out, hiding behind a dumpster in order to avoid any splash damage.

Starlight quickly opened her eyes before she dropped the tug-o-war between the two and quickly teleported a few feet to the right of her. Attempting to fire a paralyzing spell at the prince. Shining quickly lifted a shield spell as the magic dissolved into the shield before firing back with an attack of his own. Starlight narrowly avoided the spell as she took flight, ducking and weaving from the magical assault against her.

Shining slowly yawned before his eyes shrunk, realizing he was running out of time. He desperately attempted to entrap Starlight with shields, the mare quickly teleporting out of them before she fired a flurry of spells at the stallion.

Shining blocked every single spell, but despite his perfect defense, the good prince began to hobble as his legs began to buckle, “Mmmnnggh….no….the expedition…Twilight…. I’m…sorry….” he’d quickly fall to the ground and drift into a deep slumber.

Starlight landed on the ground before collapsing and breathing heavily.

Stepping out from the shadows, Trixie hesitantly approached Starlight and the fallen Prince, eyeing them both warily. “Sooo... you did it. Y’know, all of that talk about me saying it was you who made me do it, that was just acting,” she said with a playful, if nervous smile, “But, uh... are you sure nopony else heard that? And where’s the bug?”

Starlight panted heavily, “Just… just shut up... I’m too tired to be mad… Thorax, you can come out now.”

Thorax quickly hopped out of the dumpster Trixie hid behind as he gasped at the sight of the unconscious ponies, “What happened?”

Trixie let out a little sigh of relief before turning to Thorax, rolling her eyes, “What exactly do you think, she just tacked on more assault charges if we get caught.”

Thorax chuckled nervously, “Oh….”

“No time to explain.” Starlight sighed, “Change into Shining Armor; I got the guards….” Starlight took a deep breath as she quickly fired a beam of magic at the unconscious guards.

Starlight’s horn burned brightly with magic as she quickly shouted, “Up!”

The ponies quickly limbered up to their hooves, their eyes sealed shut. While, Thorax quickly transformed into Shining Armor.

Starlight panted, “Look, this possession spell and the sleep spell give us about an hour to get to where the cart is and get out of here. Do any of you know where they would keep your cart?”

Watching as the guards rose, still deep in their slumber, the unicorn felt herself itch all over. She might not have paid attention very well in all her classes, but Trixie could recognize forbidden spells when she saw them.

“Do you have any idea how illegal what you’re doing is?! Why couldn’t you just be another magician...”

Trixie sighed, rubbing a hoof across her face, “Probably to their tow yard, since it’s been impounded. There are probably guards there too, so I’m not sure we can just walk in and take it...”

Starlight rolled her eyes, “Oh please, we’ve been over on my opinion of the law, eyes open!” Starlight ordered, the ponies quickly opening their eyes. They seemed unfocused, their expressions blank and lifeless. Stepping in front of one of the guards, Trixie waved her hoof in front of his eyes, trying to get a reaction.

“Yeah, but her opinion on morality is shockingly low, even for me.” Trixie muttered, mainly to Thorax, before trotting forward.

Starlight quickly tapped her hoof to her head, “Okay… new plan… we send Thorax to get the cart!”

“Uhm.. isn’t it considered strange that two captives are being taken to the compound? Shouldn’t you be taken somewhere else not to arouse suspicion?” Thorax suggested, rubbing his chin.

“I could possess Shining Armor and his Officer and have us be escorted to the local jail where we can sit for a little bit… but then I’d have to order the guards away… shoot…”

Turning around, Trixie let out a long sigh, “Honestly, you two are hopeless. Why would we willingly imprison ourselves and be even more surrounded by the guard? Just send him and a few of the guards and say... say that they want to search it for evidence. This isn’t that hard."

Starlight sighed, “I’m trying, okay? It’s a little hard to think after that adrenaline rush!”

Trotting over to the limp body of Shining Armor, Trixie cocked her head and poked him with a hoof, “And what about him? Leave him in the trash?”

Thorax and Starlight slowly looked at each other before using their magic to toss Shining Armor into the dumpster. Trixie was conflicted, amused, and a little shocked they so willingly went along with her idea.

“New plan!” she’d turn to Trixie, “We’ll just stand back and let Thorax order the guards to release the wagon, have Thorax and the guards move it away, and then we disperse the guards before escaping.”

Smirking at Starlight, Trixie crossed her legs and held her head up high, “See? It’s foolproof. So long as he can play the part.”

Trixie pointed at Thorax, “Give me your best Prince Shining Armor, Husband of Princess Cadance, and Captain of the Royal Guard!”

Thorax cleared his throat as he perfectly mimicked the prince’s voice, “Uh… I…Hi everypony, I’m Shining Armor?... Hope you have a great day…?”

Trixie face hoofed and sighed deeply, glancing over at Starlight with a cocked brow. Straightening her expression into something more determined, she wrapped a hoof around Thorax, “No, no. You’re THE Prince of the Crystal Empire. You’re married to one of the most powerful ponies alive, and not only that, but your sister is one too. You also are the captain of the guard, responsible for all the ponies in your land. You’re extremely talented with magic, but still down to earth.”

Trixie paused as the others wondered how she knew about that last bit, “What? I heard about him in school, and he often visited for speeches and stuff....The point is, you have to not just look and sound like him, but think like him too... honestly, didn’t they teach you anything in that hive?”

Thorax quickly took a deep breath, “Think like him, think like him...” he’d promptly change his tone to something more confident, “That was a tough battle; I’m sure glad everypony’s okay. Let’s take the prisoners to a nice cell where they can’t hurt anypony else.”

Starlight gave a small clap to Thorax’s performance as the changeling quickly began to blush and bashfully cross his front legs.

Trixie shrugged and gave him a slow clap, “It’s... acceptable, but I don’t think he’d put us in a nice cell after what we did. Especially her,” she pointed at Starlight, “Alright... let’s get this over with.”

Starlight quickly arranged for the guards to follow Thorax, having them march behind him in neat and organized rows, with The Officer to his right. Thorax did his best to remain confident as he looked at the practically zombified ponies next to him.

“Where’s the impound, Trixie?” Starlight questioned.

Trixie trotted alongside the unicorn, glaring at her from the corner of her eye as she did her best to look captured.

“How should I know? I’ve never gotten my wagon towed here! Probably somewhere near a police station, or maybe the castle itself! Since they were in a hurry to find you, probably closer.”

Starlight quickly shot a look at Trixie, as she did her best to keep appearances, “Trixie, we have one hour before the spells wear off, where’s the nearest police station?!”

Thorax led the mares out of the alley as a few ponies quickly began to flock around the prince and his guards, gawking and hissing at the two mares; Thorax quickly did his best impression of Shining Armor, “Make way! These are very dangerous ponies, for your own safety please step back!”

“You’re lucky I know where they are, otherwise, we’d all be in trouble.” Trixie snorted. Whispering to Thorax, she directed him up the street, and a couple of blocks away.

“There we are.” She hissed, using her horn to point towards the building. Beside the police station sat the tow yard, where Trixie could see the roof of her wagon sticking out.

Marching inside, the local police department quickly rose to their hooves and saluted Thorax as they promptly prepared a cell for Trixie and Starlight. Thorax’s expression floundered for a moment before he quickly swallowed back his fear and nervousness.

“Guards put them away!” Thorax ordered as the possessed ponies quickly moved the mares along into the cell before standing aimlessly outside the cell. Thorax quickly approached the cell.

Trixie gritted her teeth as they were dragged inside and pushed into a cell, giving both Starlight and Thorax a displeased look, “Thorax, this was supposed to be really simple....” she hissed.

Starlight glared at Thorax as she whispered, “What about the plan!?”

Thorax stammered, “There are too many ponies outside trying to look at you; just stay calm, and I’ll get the cart.” He quickly flashed a small smile to them before winking.

"Whatever, just get it done, and don’t you even dare think about leaving us here!” Whispered Trixie.

The Police chief quickly trotted up to Thorax before saluting, “Your Highness, what do you want us to do with the prisoners? Shall I inform Princess Twilight of her capture?”

Thorax smiled nervously, “Oh…yes! You and your officers should personally inform Twilight and Cadance of our success.”

The chief paused, “You…want the entire department to inform Princess Cadance and Twilight of the suspects’ arrest?...”

Thorax looked back at Trixie and Starlight for a moment before stiffening up, “Yes, that is a direct order; you’re not questioning me, are you?”

Trixie rolled her eyes and groaned, pressing a hoof over her face.

“Oh no, sir! I apologize. I didn’t mean to offend; I just… everypony! Grab your things and stop what you’re doing. We must inform Princess Twilight and Cadance that the suspects have been apprehended!” Announced the chief.

The officer ponies quickly looked at one another before one from the crowd asked, “ALL of us?”

“Yes! This is a direct order from his royal majesty himself! Now let’s move!” barked the chief.

The police ponies quickly left the office, and the chief soon shouted orders for the crowds to disperse and leave before trotting off toward the castle.

“Wow, I can’t believe they were that stupid... I’ll have to apologize to Hayseed Swamp, they aren’t as dumb as these mules...” the unicorn snorted in disbelief. Gesturing to the lock, “Well, are you going to let us out or what? It’s only a matter of time before one of them finds a brain cell to share.”

Thorax quickly grabbed a set of keys from a nearby wall before unlocking the cell door, “Alright, let’s get out of here.”’

The group quickly made their way to the impound before Trixie and Starlight promptly jumped into the wagon, just barely squeezing in it before Thorax disguised himself as the younger-looking colt from earlier and began pulling the cart away.

“Don’t crush anything!” Trixie hissed as Starlight forced her way in. Checking in the back, she let out a sigh of relief, “Thank Celestia; they didn’t take my fireworks out! The number of bits I had to pay for these...”

“Just get us out of the city and play it cool.” Starlight whispered to Thorax, careful to keep away from the windows.

“Just pretend you’re a merchant pony, and everything will be fine,” Trixie told the changeling, falling into her hammock bonelessly, already half-asleep. “And please… do Trixie a favor and… try not to look suspicious...”