• Published 6th Aug 2022
  • 2,156 Views, 506 Comments

The Drake Six - JNKing



Twilight's got the Mane Five? Now Spike's got the Drake Five

  • ...
7
 506
 2,156

PreviousChapters Next
Episode Twelve: Anchor of the Past

Spike always knew Applejack as a reliable pony. A hard worker and a good friend, the cow-mare always did her best to be the one that ponies could count on. And while it had gotten her in trouble once or twice in the past, Spike still trusted Applejack almost as much as he trusted Twilight.

Hence, he was pleased to find Sweet Apple Acres completely intact when he went to check on how Phoenix and Applejack were getting along. The dragoness herself was visible in the thick of the apple trees, carefully plucking the apples off the trees and sorting them neatly into the buckets.

Spike gave a wave towards Phoenix, but if the dragon saw him, she didn’t show it, focusing on her work.

Eh, Spike shrugged it off, Applejack always does ask for hard work.

Speaking of Applejack, Spike saw the cow-mare prepping a bale of hay for the barn. Heading over, he put his muscles to work helping her.

“Phoenix doing okay?” Spike asked.

“Darn tootin,” Applejack said happily. “I’ll say, I wasn’t sure she could handle the work, what with all her scars and stuff, but she’s proven herself a good worker.”

Apple Bloom came by with a newly emptied wagon of apples. “She could stand to be a better conversationalist,” the young mare grumbled.

“Apple Bloom,” Applejack scolded. “Her past is her business, ‘n no one else’s.”

“Just sayin,” Apple Bloom replied with a shrug. Spike however, watched her with worry.

“She hasn’t… snapped at anyone, has she?” Spike asked worriedly.

“Ya mean like with DB and Rares?” Applejack asked. “Thank Celestia, no.”

“But she’s still sorta… cold,” Apple Bloom noted. “Weird, calling a dragon cold, but… she only ever responds when Applejack asks her to work. Rest o’ the time… it’s like something’s buggin’ her.”

Spike glanced back over at Phoenix. “Is that right…?”

##

Phoenix didn’t react when Spike showed back up with Apple Bloom.

“Watch,” Apple Bloom noted to Spike, before striding up to Phoenix. “Heya Phoenix. Nice work on them trees.”

Phoenix didn’t glance at the filly. “No problem,” she said.

Apple Bloom glanced over at Spike before adding. “Ya know, Granny’s planning on cooking up some classic Apple Family Pies.”

Phoenix turned around. “Can I help?”

Apple Bloom waved her off. “Naw, Granny’s been doing this sorta thing for years. But if ya want her to make some pies for ya… surely dragons can enjoy more than just gems, yeah?”

Spike watched in intrigue as Phoenix paled, and looked away. “I’ll be fine,” she replied, before nudging some of the baskets over to Apple Bloom. “You should… probably get those to your sister.”

Apple Bloom hesitantly took the buckets. “With this amount of apples, it wouldn’t be any trouble. You’ve more than earned it…”

“Just…” Phoenix turned a bit faster than she should have, and for a brief moment, Spike saw a flash of anger in her eyes. But before it could affect the filly, Phoenix got control over herself. “The amount won’t matter if it doesn’t reach the barn. Get them to your sister.” She then walked away before Apple Bloom could say more.”

Apple Bloom glanced at Spike with a raised eyebrow. “See? Weird, right?”

Spike recalled Phoenix’s time with the diamond dogs. An idea came to mind. “I might have an idea what’s going on,” he admitted, before following Phoenix. He paused when he noticed Apple Bloom following. “You should probably stay here.”

“But…”

“Trust me,” Spike promised. “This is a dragon thing.” He gave her a brotherly smile. “I’ll be okay.”

Apple Bloom sighed, but reluctantly started to bring the apples Phoenix had picked over to Applejack. Spike, meanwhile, continued after Phoenix.

He didn’t need to go far; finding Phoenix already working on another apple tree. He leaned against the trunk.

“You doing okay, Phi?” he asked.

Phoenix sighed, looking down at Spike. “Well, I haven’t yelled at them yet,” she noted. “That’s good… right?”

“Why would you yell?” Spike asked, before remembering. “The dogs?”

Phoenix shut her eyes and nodded. “I was awful to them,” she said. “Constantly roaring at them for not working hard enough… But they were working hard; some of them had broken their arms trying to fill my quotas.” Phoenix traced one of the scars on her arm. “One of them went to me… fractured bone sticking out of his elbow… and I…”

Spike patted her side. “Let it out,” he encouraged.

“I just… I said ‘well, that’s why you have two arms,’” she admitted. “Then I kicked him back to work… threatened to eat him if he didn’t get going.” She traced the scar on her arm again. “I just know one of his family members was the one who cut me here. They wanted me to remember how he felt.”

“Phoenix,” Spike said gently. “You’re not that person anymore. You’ve changed.”

“Yes,” Phoenix said. “I have.” She gazed at Spike with fear in her eyes. “And I don’t want to go back to being that person.”

Spike shrugged. “So, don’t. I mean, is it really that hard?”

Phoenix looked down in shame. “It… kinda is,” she admitted. She looked over at the Apple Family. “I see them… smaller than me, just like the dogs. And I can feel that part of myself from the past… I can feel it telling me that they’re too slow. That they’re too weak. That they need ‘proper’ command.” She held her head. “I’m scared of myself, Spike.” She looked back at him. “How do I shut it off? How do I make sure that the diamond dogs truly killed that evil part of me?”

Spike gazed up at her, at a loss for words. What did he know of turning his back on evil urges: the closest he had gotten was his struggle with the Greed. And ever since his fight with Diamondback, that particular voice had gone quiet. He wasn’t sure it was the same as what Phoenix was feeling.

Then he got a thought; maybe he didn’t know how to help his friend… but he did know someone who might be of more help.

“Let me make a call,” he asked Phoenix, “I’ll be right back.”

Phoenix watched him go with a lost look in her eye. “Don’t take too long,” she asked, before returning to her work.

##

Luckily, while Night Fire didn’t seem eager to return to her pony life, she was at least okay with being around Luna. After asking around, Spike managed to find Pinkie, Night Fire and Luna at - of all places - an arcade alley. Where Night Fire and Pinkie were engaged in an epic brawling game.

Spike snickered as he recognized how Luna was able to walk about in public: dressed in a penguin suit complete with a bow-tie to make the suit look almost like a tuxedo, Luna was employing the ‘Not My Problem’ Spell; a rather humorous bit of magic where instead of taking on some sort of disguise, the spell influenced anyone who looked in her direction to decide that what they were looking at was uninteresting and thus ‘Not their problem.’

For some reason, the spell worked better when the pony or object it was hiding looked unusual, hence the penguin suit. Indeed, Spike could feel the spell probing at his mind, exerting effort to convince him to not pay attention to the most certainly strange thing just a few feet away.

But he most certainly had a problem now. One that required input from someone who had made huge mistakes in the past, and was seeking to atone for them.

“Body slam!” Luna hissed under her breath. “Body Slam! Oh come on, you foal! Hit him!”

“You know, your commentary is more distracting than helpful, Loo-Loo,” Night Fire shot back as she guided her character away from Button Mash’s attacks. “Just saying.”

Luna still struggled not to hop from hoof to hoof as she encouraged Night to victory. Spike almost considered it as mercy to tap her shoulder and draw her attention away from the battle.

“Ser Spike?” Luna asked in intrigue. “What brings you here?”

“One of my friends needs your help,” Spike admitted. “She… made a pretty horrible choice in the past, and… doesn’t know if she can bounce back from it.”

Luna’s eyes widened in sympathy. She looked over at Night Fire, but it was clear her input was not needed as the dragoness started to turn the tables on her pink opponent.

“Watch out, Pinkie,” Night warned with a grin. “I got them happy feet. Wombo combo!”

“THAT AIN’T FALCO!” Pinkie screamed. “THAT AIN’T FALCO!”
As the girls enjoyed their game, Luna sighed and turned fully to Spike. “Show me the way,” she said.

##

They found Phoenix later that evening, watching from the trees as the Apple Family gathered for dinner. Judging by how Applejack gazed in Phoenix’s direction, it was clear the cow mare had offered Phoenix a spot, but Phoenix had refused.

Sighing, Spike brought Luna over to the fire dragon, who perked up at the sight of Spike, though her gaze became more conflicted when Luna arrived.

“Princess Luna?” Phoenix realized, before quickly sinking into a bow. “I, uh…”

“Soothe, my friend,” Luna said, settling herself couchant next to Phoenix. “Spike tells me your past haunts you.”

Phoenix gazed at Spike, but he smiled reassuringly. Sighing, Phoenix’s head drooped. “You could say that,” she admitted, gazing at the Apple Family with a longing to her eyes. “These guys are really good ponies. And I…” she shook her head. “I ruined a really good deal back home. I don’t want to ruin this.”

Luna touched her side. “Trust in me,” Luna said. “I know the pain of ruining a relationship. I let jealousy and envy turn me into…”

Phoenix touched Luna’s shoulder. “You… don’t need to say it,” Phoenix promised. “I understand.”

Luna nodded, but still gazed up at Phoenix. “I was convinced that my sister would never forgive me. That the ponies would always see me as… something else.”

Phoenix huffed. “Yeah, the diamond dogs definitely still see me as a monster.”

“But these aren’t the diamond dogs,” Luna reminded her. “They are ponies who only seek your friendship.”

Phoenix grimaced. “But what if they were better off without it?”

“They won’t know if you never try,” Luna replied. “Do you truly wish to be alone, Blazing Phoenix? To suffer in silence for all time?”

Phoenix looked back at the Apple Family as they got the table set. Laughter and excited story sharing sounded and echoed even over to them.

“No,” Phoenix admitted. “I want a family again.” She struggled not to cry. “I just…”

“Be honest with them,” Luna said, before cracking a grin. “And… be careful with the volume. We have learned first hand of what being too loud can do.”

Phoenix cracked a smile. “Yeah,” she admitted. “Me too.” Taking a breath, she stood up, cracked her neck, and came down to the house.

Applejack immediately ran over. “Hey, Phi,” she said. “Changed yer mind, did ya?”

“A bit,” Phoenix said, before looking down. “Applejack… I wasn’t a good dragon in the past.”

Her somber tone brought the attention of the rest of the Apple Family, who came out to listen to her.

“I did bad things to innocent dogs,” Phoenix explained. “And they only got me to stop by…” she indicated her scars.

Applejack gazed on them in sympathy. “Gosh,” she mumbled. “That… can’t have been easy.”

“It wasn’t,” Phoenix said. “But it taught me about how I can’t take advantage of others. I can’t always expect power or strength to keep me alive. But most importantly… it taught me to have respect for my fellow creatures. No matter how small they are.” She lowered herself down. “I was so afraid that I would cause an accident; that I would hurt you or make you hate me like I made the dogs hate me. So… if I’ve been aloof or cold lately…”

Applejack nodded. “It’s cuz ya want to make sure ya don’t make the same mistakes, right?”

Phoenix nodded.

Applejack smiled. “Well, ya know one way that helps with not wanting to hurt folks?”

Phoenix tilted her head. “What’s that?”

“Knowing who they are,” Applejack replied. “Empathy’s one sweet bit o’ sugar.” She held the door open. “C’mon, ya’ll. Let’s turn this dinner into a picnic. Tell Phi here some o’ our stories.”

Apple Bloom eagerly came out with a big slice of apple pie. And as Phoenix started to smile hopefully, she gazed at Spike and Luna with gratitude.

Spike smiled back before looking up to Luna. “Thank you, Princess,” he said. “I… don’t know how to repay this.”

Luna grinned. “Perhaps you could tell me your friendship lesson for the day,” she offered. “I’d love a reason to be able to share something with my beloved sister.”

Spike chuckled at that. “Well, alright, as long as Twilight gets a copy too…” He gathered himself and began to recite:

##

To Twilight and Princess Celestia,

While Twilight would hearken the past as similar to a history book, today, I would make the comparison to an anchor, as a particularly dark past can drag someone down and make them think that they can’t move on from it.

This is a problem my friend Phoenix endured, as her actions in the past left her scared and unable to believe that she could be trusted with friends again.

But, with the help of Princess Luna and the understanding of Applejack, I feel that Phoenix has learned a valuable lesson: We can draw lessons from the past, but we cannot live in it. Just like how a snake sheds its skin, we must shed the past’s hold on us. Be honest with yourself, learn from what happened, and move on.

Phoenix’s past was dark, but if she can finally let go, she’ll hopefully find a brighter future.

And I hope to help her find it.

Your honest dragon friend,

Spike

PreviousChapters Next