• Published 19th Sep 2012
  • 2,263 Views, 66 Comments

A Warrior's Calling - Valiant_Daybreak



A wounded pony collapses in front of Fluttershy's cottage, but what truly ails him?

  • ...
2
 66
 2,263

Chapter 7 - Family

Chapter 7 – Family

The sun rose over the horizon, as it did nearly every morning, shedding light on a solitary figure taking shelter in one of the less cracked buildings in the ruins. The cloak he wore, once newly repaired and beautiful, was torn and dirty from his crash landing the previous night.

Around noon, Valiant Daybreak slowly awoke. Where... he thought, before Twilight's words flashed angrily back at him. Why don't you just leave?! It all came back to him then. He had flown from the shop, tears streaming from his face like miniature waterfalls. Flying until he could fly no farther, he had crashed to the ground. Sobbing, that wasn't right... knights do not cry, he had drug himself into the shelter of a ruined house, emptying his tear ducts until the sweet embrace of sleep carried all the pain away.

Returning his mind to the present, Valiant drug himself into the sun, closing his eyes in pleasure as it warmed his body. He had always liked the sun. He didn't know why, but it always filled him with a sense of peace and security. He was at his top form during the day, and could do things he never could at night time.

Even though the sun warmed and rejuvenated him on the outside, it could not fix the cold and lonely feeling he had inside. Tears began to stream down his face, quickly turning again to sobs. No! Knigts do not cry! he thought, but the tears came anyway. As all his sadness and anger built up again, he could think of no other way to vent the pressure building up within him than to yell.

“Why!?” he screamed at the sky. “Why did you have to die and leave us all alone!? If you had not gotten sick NONE of this would have happened!” As his sadness increased, he choked out, “Why did you not get better...” He collapsed on the ground again, broken, sobbing uncontrollably.

After he had lain there for a few minutes a voice, as soothing as the sun itself, gently said, “What is the matter, my little pony? What heartbreak forces you to be so sad?”

Valiant whirled around, his eyes widening as he took in the rainbow colored mane, the white fur and the deep, rose-colored eyes. “M... Mother?” he asked, shock spreading over his face.

Princess Celestia shook her head. “No, my little pony, not your mother, but her sister.”

“Her... Sister...? You mean...” Valiant searched through his limited memory, eyes lighting up as he stumbled upon the alicorn's true identity. “Aunt Celestia!?” At the elder pony's nod, Valiant sprang forward, kneeling on the ground in a cordial bow. “I... I'm sorry my lady,” he stuttered, eyes continuing to water. “Your sister... she...”

Celestia knelt beside him, wrapping her wings around him in a comforting embrace. “Shh... It's alright. You've been through quite an ordeal, haven't you?”

As he looked into her gentle, knowing eyes his tears dried up, replaced with all the guilt he had carried with him since the fall of his kingdom. Unable to face her, he lowered his eyes in shame. “I... I couldn't save them. Not my mother when she got sick... nor my father... and finally, the whole kingdom fell..." He stood up, turning around walking a short distance away. “I am a failure. I cannot protect anypony I care about. My country's demise is my fault...”

Looking sternly into Valiant's eyes, Celestia shook him forcefully. “Stop it!” she said. “What happened was not your fault! You can't blame yourself for the mistakes your brother made!”

Valiant's shocked eyes widened. I never mentioned... “How did you...?”

“Twilight Sparkle is my personal student. Last night she wrote to me and told me what happened. You left behind six worried ponies when you fled. Two in particular come to mind: Twilight is so eaten up with guilt about what she did that she refuses leave her house... and I've been forced to post an armed guard at Fluttershy's cottage; she keeps venturing into the Everfree forest to try and find you. She truly cares for you Valiant...” Almost as an afterthought, she added, “...they all do.”

The truth in that statement swirled throughout Valiant's soul, clashing with the feelings of guilt he held inside. “Even ... even though they know the truth... they would still care about a failure of a prince like me?”

Celestia frowned. “You are not a failure, my little pony. Stop saying you are.” Changing her demeanor, she said, “Those six ponies will love you no matter what you do. You are their friend, Valiant, and they do not turn their backs on their friends.”

Valiant was silent for a long moment. Turning his head downwards, he quietly asked, “Can I truly go back after all I have said, and all I have done?”

“My little pony, the question is not whether you can or can't go, but whether you will. That is a choice I will leave up to you.” Celestia stood up and stepped back a few steps. “If you ever need to see me, my palace is in Canterlot, at the top of the mountain to the north. Just remember Valiant, you are truly lucky to have friends... no... family, that care about you like these six ponies do.”

Valiant watched her fly away, until she was merely a speck in the distance. What should I do? He shrugged off his cloak, picking it up with his hooves and examining it. A fierce look of determination spread across his face as he realized he did not need it anymore. Casting it on the ground, he disappeared into the surrounding forest, letting his steps direct him back towards Ponyville... towards... home.

Author's Comments

There you have it guys! Short, but hopefully sweet. Lest you think Valiant's story is almost over, fear not! This marks the half-way point! I hope you guys enjoyed it, and I look forward to hearing from you next Monday! Thanks as always for your comments!