• Published 19th Sep 2012
  • 2,262 Views, 66 Comments

A Warrior's Calling - Valiant_Daybreak



A wounded pony collapses in front of Fluttershy's cottage, but what truly ails him?

  • ...
2
 66
 2,262

Chapter 4 - Unwavering Loyalty

Chapter 4 – Unwavering Loyalty

Valiant flew over the trees, his sword outstretched. The voice of Swirlbeard, the court magician, echoed in his head, “Come quickly! They're overrunning the town!” Straining his wings to gain an extra bust of speed, Valiant redoubled his efforts to reach the castle. “I'm almost there!” he mentally shouted back, receiving only silence in reply. As he flew closer to the castle, the distance seemed to become longer and longer, causing him to grow more and more tired. At last he could fly no longer and he plummeted from the sky, landing with a crash on the stone pavement below.

Immediately, the shadowy figures filling the streets below were onto him, clawing at him and wailing in his ears. “No!” he shouted, trying to fight them off with the last reserves of his strength, but there were too many. They piled on top of him, and began to laugh in his face, screaming at him, “We killed your family, your friends, everyone you loved, and now we will kill you too!” The entire pile of squirming creatures convulsed into spasms of maniacal laughter, as Valiant gasped for air under their crushing weight...

› › › › › › › › › › › › ›

Valiant awoke with a start, sweat dripping from his mane. Panting, he slowly got out of bed, crossing the room to look out the window at the sky. It's nearly dawn, he thought, I might as well get up... He strapped on his sword and shield before putting on his cloak. Quietly, so as to not wake up the other inhabitants of the house, he crept outside and walked silently into the forest.

After a few moments of walking, he reached a small clearing. “Perfect.” Valiant threw off his cloak, unsheathing his sword and holding it point out in front of him, standing perfectly still. Within a few minutes, dawn broke over the horizon, awakening the hundreds of animals that called the forest home. They began to move throughout the clearing, noticing the strange, unmoving thing in the middle of the clearing. A few birds, either braver or more curious than the rest, flew over to where he stood with his sword outstretched and gently perched on it, looking at him expectantly.

Ever so slowly, Valiant began to move the sword without disturbing the birds sitting on it. Slowly, carefully, he moved his sword down and across, carefully stepping in rhythm with its movement. The birds, at first a bit frightened, were now thoroughly enjoying the gentle breeze created by the slow movement of the sword as he ran through the complicated series of forms.

Valiant had always loved this part of his morning training. As he ran through the forms, the memories of watching his father perform them flowed gently through his mind, as he copied his movements perfectly from memory. His emotions, so disturbed before, did not run wild this time. Joy spread through him, as he remembered the happy times he had spent training with his father.

After an hour of forms, he gently lowered the sword, allowing the birds to dismount onto the ground. Bowing to them, he said, “Thank you for the dance,” before sheathing his sword and continuing, “This next part is a bit more dangerous, please step back.” The birds twittered in reply, before flying into the trees to watch.

Valiant stood still for a moment, before suddenly unfurling his wings. He drew his sword, gracefully leaping into a backflip. He began a series of acrobatic movements, twisting and turning, all the while slashing his sword at an imaginary foe. Sweat streamed from his forehead, creating small puddles on the ground as he flew. Finally finished, he landed gracefully back on the ground, sheathing his sword and panting with exhaustion.

A twig snapped behind him and he whirled around into a crouch, ready to defend himself, causing the occupant of the bush to yelp with surprise.

“It... It's just me... I'm sorry...” Fluttershy said as she emerged from the bushes. “I heard you wake up, but when I went to check on you, you weren't there, so I followed you into the forest... I didn't think you'd mind me watching...”

Valiant relaxed, sighing with relief. “It is quite alright,” he said, bowing at her. Remembering her earlier admission about being easily startled, he hurriedly said, “I hope I did not scare you at any point.”

“Well... It was a bit... Umm... Well... It was...” Fluttershy said, struggling for the words.

“It was awesome is what it was!” said a new voice.

Valiant spun around towards the voice, searching the trees for signs of attack.

“I'm right here Mr. Easily Startled!” came the voice again, “Above you!”

Valiant looked up to see another pegasus hovering above him, wings flapping to keep her airborne. She was a light blue, with a rainbow colored mane and tail. As he looked at her, she said, “Yeah, that's right! Me! That was some pretty wicked flying!”

The pegasus floated to the ground, folding her wings against her sides and looking at him quizzically. “Who are you anyway? I mean, you're obviously not from around here, because that was some awesome flying, and I make it a point to know who all the awesome fliers are around here.”

Good... so she's only noticed my wings so far... Valiant thought, before saying, “My name is Valiant Daybreak, I...”

The pegasus interrupted, saying, “Yeah yeah yeah, you're an alicorn... big deal, but you'll need more than that and a few sick moves to top my awesome! The name's Dash, Rainbow Dash! I'm the fastest flier in all of Ponyville! Aww... who am I kidding, I'm the fastest flier in all of Equestria!”

Well... so much for keeping my lineage a secret. Valiant thought with annoyance. I'd better find a more secret spot next time I train...

“Hey are you even listening to me Mr. Rude?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“Uh...” Valiant said.

“I didn't think so! Anyway, you told me who you were, but what are you doing here? I mean, I've sure never heard of any alicorns living in Ponyville, and there's no way you're living out here! You look way too weak to survive the night in the Everfree forest... I don't even think I could do that!”

Fluttershy came to Valiant's rescue, walking up alongside him and saying, “He's staying with me. He just got here two days ago.”

Noticing the other pegasus for the first time, Rainbow Dash said, “Oh hi Fluttershy! So, you'll vouch for this guy? He's not some sort of spy?”

“No. No he's not.”

“Well in that case,” Rainbow said thoughtfully, “it looks like we have a new pegasus in town... Well... half pegasus anyway.” Turning back to Valiant, she narrowed her eyes and pulled her lips up in a mischievous smile. “I challenge you to a race!”

“A... race?” Valiant replied.

“Yeah, a race! You know... we fly on a course and whoever reaches the finish line first wins?”

Valiant briefly considered her request. If I am seen flying around, my secret would be out in the open... Thus considered, he replied, “I must respectfully decline.”

“What!?” Rainbow yelled. “Why!?”

“Well... I do not particularly wish for the whole town to know what I am for... personal reasons. My wings are much easier to conceal than my horn, and if I am seen flying around...”

The blue pegasus thought for a second before she smiled again. “Well in that case,” she said slowly, “let's make this a little more interesting. If you win, I'll conveniently forget all about your wings. Lose, and I tell the whole town about your secret!”

Valiant stuttered. “I...”

“Oh, you don't accept? Because if you refuse to race me, that means you forfeit! You'd automatically lose!”

She has a point... With a short sigh, Valiant nodded. “You've made your terms quite clear. But I have a condition, we must race somewhere nopony will see us.”

“Pshh...” Rainbow Dash waved her hoof dismissively, “I've got that covered! There's a place called Ghastly Gorge that almost nopony ever flies through. I use it for training every now and then.”

“Alright,” Valiant said. “Lead the way.”

› › › › › › › › › › › › ›

After about 30 minutes of walking, Valiant, Rainbow and Fluttershy reached the gorge. Valiant ran his eyes over the course. She certainly has the advantage here, he thought. Surely she knows this course like the back of her hoof...

“The rules are simple,” Rainbow Dash said. “First one to the other end of the canyon wins. I've got to warn you, I'm pretty fast, so no crying when you lose, okay?”

Valiant looked over at Fluttershy, who gave him a nervous grin. “You... You'll do fine!” she said. “She's not... that... fast?”

“Thank you for trying to help,” he said, returning her weak smile with an even weaker one. His dream flooded back to him, and once again he saw himself unable to reach his goal in time. Grimacing, he squashed down his fears. I can do this... I must merely stay focused...

“I'll be waiting for you on the other side.” Fluttershy took off for the other end of the canyon, leaving Rainbow Dash and Valiant to warm up.

After 5 minutes of warm-ups, Rainbow Dash looked over at Valiant. “Are ya ready to lose?”

“Yes... Or... Wait...”

“Pfffhahahaha! You are a riot! To the starting line!”

The two ponies lined up on the edge of the canyon, ready to plunge in. Rainbow Dash began the countdown.

“Three. Two. One. Go!”

They were off like a pair of rockets, evenly matched at this stage of the race. Valiant pushed himself, but not quite as hard as he thought he could. He had learned a long time ago not to expend all your energy at the beginning of the race.

The racers flew through a small cave, gusts of wind from the other side briefly slowing them down. Rocketing out the other side, they began to weave their way through a tangle of thorns. One snagged on the edge of Valiant's wing, throwing him off and allowing Rainbow Dash to soar ahead. No! he thought, I can't lose this race! He pushed harder, increasing speed and slowly catching up.

“Heeey, you're not half bad,” she called back to him, “but why don't you try this on for size!” She redoubled her speed, beginning to pull away again.

Argh! As Valiant strained to increase his speed, his horn glowed, until it pulsed brightly against his mane. He gained on her, inching closer and closer. He was an inch away, then half an inch, then a quarter of an inch, and then... Whoosh! They crossed over the finish line.

Both ponies skidded to a stop on the dirt. I did it! Valiant thought, panting heavily. I must have won!

“Oh yeah! Beat you by a nose!” Rainbow Dash strutted around the finish area. “In your face Mr. Fancy Flying! I told you you'd never be able to compete with my awesome!”

Valiant looked at Fluttershy in alarm, who simply nodded and averted her eyes.

Valiant shook his head in frustration. It wasn't the fact he had lost that bothered him; he had no real interest in winning. I guess I shall have to move on from here, he thought. Once everpony knows my secret, I will have absolutely no chance of being accepted as an equal. I merely wanted to start over...

“Hey, why the long face?” Rainbow Dash asked, floating above his head with a smirk on her face. “I mean, sure you lost, but that doesn't mean you gotta be a sore loser!”

“The fact that I lost is insignificant,” Valiant replied. “Your promise to me at the beginning of the race is the reason for my current attitude. I suppose now you will tell the remaining citizens of this town about my secret?”

“Pfff,” Rainbow Dash waved off the question, “Oh that? That was just something I used to bait you to race me, and boy did it work!”

“I do not...” Valiant started.

“Oh come on! You didn't think I would just blab your big secret just like that did you? That would be like... totally lame of me! Besides, the fact that you're a friend of Fluttershy's makes you one of my friends, and I would never betray a friend! Well, thanks for the race and all, but I've gotta fly! Got winter to prepare for you know! See ya!”

With those parting words, Rainbow Dash flew off towards the town, leaving only a shimmering rainbow in her wake.

Valiant stared after her for a second, still slightly confused. “What... just happened?” he asked.

Fluttershy giggled. “Your secret is still safe. I had a feeling Rainbow wouldn't tell anyone. She may be a bit rough around the edges, but when you dig through her tough exterior, she's a true friend.”

The ponies here never cease to amaze me, Valiant thought, smiling and shaking his head. “I am truly thankful for that,” he said. “Remind me never to race her again, though. I nearly killed myself trying to keep up with her! I suppose I can consider my training over for the day. Would you like me to accompany you with anything?”

Fluttershy thought for a second, blushing slightly now that the attention was back on her. “Well... once a week I have a spa day with my friend Rarity... You remember her right?”

Valiant nodded. I do not believe I could forget her if I tried... Not knowing what a spa was, he asked, "May I come with you?"

“Well... it's always just been the two of us... I mean... you can come if you want, but...”

Taking the hint, Valiant smiled. “I understand completely! In that case, I believe I shall look around the town again. It seems like a good place to live, and I cannot wait to see more of it.” He bowed, continuing, “It would, however, give me the greatest pleasure to escort you to the... what was it called? Spa? It sounds somewhat dangerous...”

Giggling again, Fluttershy said, “Oh no, it's not dangerous at all! In fact, it's quite relaxing... and, no, you don't need to escort me there... I'm sure you'd much rather go see the town...”

Valiant smiled. He was getting used to these kinds of responses. “Please, my lady,” he began, “allow me to accompany you. It would give me the greatest pleasure imaginable to know you made it there safely.”

Blushing, Fluttershy said, “O... Okay. If you really want to...”

Together, they walked towards the town, both their hearts warming slightly at the other's company.

Author's Comments

Really intended to post this earlier in the week. Sorry guys, school kinda ran away from me. (Plus... I just plain forgot...). It's technically early, though, as promised! In case any of you are worried, no, this will not interfere with the regular posting schedule. Expect chapter 5 Monday night. What's that? You want a sneak preview? Oh, fine... if you insist...

Suddenly, Valiant began to have a strange feeling in the pit of his stomach. He looked around, certain he was being watched. At first he sensed nothing out of the ordinary, but after looking around a second time, he noticed an earth pony watching him from a seat at a small cafe. Refrain from making eye contact, Valiant thought to himself. More than likely she is merely interested in the store, not you.

There you go! Hope you all enjoyed it! Special kudos to my cousin who helped me proofread this whole thing. She's primarily responsible for my character's voice (she lit up my inbox every time she found a contraction), along with a character who will be introduced later in the story. By the way, if you find a grammatical or spelling error, it's her fault, not mine. (Just kidding of course. The fault is mine.)