• Published 19th Sep 2012
  • 2,262 Views, 66 Comments

A Warrior's Calling - Valiant_Daybreak



A wounded pony collapses in front of Fluttershy's cottage, but what truly ails him?

  • ...
2
 66
 2,262

Chapter 14 - One Final Choice

Chapter 14 – One Final Choice

Time seemed to pass quickly after the events of the second changeling invasion. When the residents of Ponyville realized that the changeling invaders were not the savage monsters they had assumed they were, they eagerly took them into their houses, providing food and shelter until they could return home. Valiant was overjoyed when he managed to locate Swirlbeard, whom Twilight quickly asked to stay with her at the library. While nearly everything seemed wonderful, an important question loomed over everypony’s head like a giant black thundercloud: what to do with Nightshade.

While he had been under a spell himself, he did not deny that he had been put under it willingly. He had, in fact, betrayed his country. On the other hoof, Valiant had never seen his brother so gentle and caring towards his subjects. Before he had become the Black Prince, Nightshade had despised and hated the “common ponies” of Corralland. Now, he moved among them as an equal, sorrowfully apologizing for what he had done.

The people of Corralland, too, seemed to notice this difference. While they remembered the terrible things he had done to them, they treated him with all the respect he didn’t deserve, and then some. Though the spell had been broken, they still recognized him as their leader.

Valiant pondered all these things as he waited for the inevitable summons from Princess Celestia that he was sure would decide his brother’s fate. Finally, two days after the incident, Twilight knocked on the door of Fluttershy’s cottage with the letter he had been waiting for.

Valiant Daybreak,

Please come to Canterlot with Nightshade. We have much to discuss regarding the recent events.

Princess Celestia

“What do you think it means?” Twilight asked.

Valiant frowned. “I am not sure, but I fear the worst... I have forgiven my brother. I only hope she has as well.”

After finding Nightshade, the brothers took off towards Equestria. As they flew, Valiant looked back at Nightshade and said, “You have changed my brother.”

Nightshade ducked his head shamefully remembering his past. “Yes… I suppose I have. Spending that long without love taught me its true worth… Before Crystalis turned me into that… that thing, I thought that fear was the only thing that mattered. I believed it was my right to treat the citizens of Corralland with disdain… that it was fitting for a prince to act that way. I was wrong.” He turned to Valiant, tears streaming from his face. “I am truly sorry for all I have done… I know I cannot take it back… but I certainly wish I could.”

They flew the rest of the short trip in silence, Valiant pondering Nightshade’s words. Landing at the castle, they were quickly ushered inside by the guards. A hush descended upon the audience chambers as they walked inside. As Nightshade swallowed nervously, Valiant put a reassuring hoof on his shoulder. “It is going to be alright brother," he said. Slightly reassured, Nightshade walked down the middle of the room, head bowed.

As he reached the other side of the room, Celestia stood. “Please, everypony,” she said, “I’m afraid I must ask you all to leave for a moment.” The crowd of Canterlot nobles and palace guards slowly dispersed, whispering about Nightshade and Valiant as they exited the room.

As Celestia stared at Nightshade, Valiant defensively stepped in front of his brother. “Princess,” He began, “I…”

Celestia held up a hoof in silence. “Please, don’t speak. Stand aside Sir Knight.”

Throwing a worried glance at Nightshade, Valiant bowed and moved to the right, exposing his brother to Celestia’s piercing gaze.

After a few uncomfortable seconds, she spoke. “Nightshade Moonbeam. You stand accused of betraying your country and attacking mine. What do you have to say?”

Lifting his gaze, Nightshade bravely looked into the eyes of his accuser. “My princess, I am guilty of everything you have mentioned, and more. I place my fate at your judgement.”

Celestia raised an eyebrow. “Do you have anything else to add to your defense?”

“No, Princess. What I have done, I have done. I must atone for it.”

Celestia glanced at Valiant, who was watching the scene unfold with extreme discomfort. “What about you, Sir Knight, do you have anything to say in his defense?”

Valiant nodded. Narrowing his eyes, he said, “Yes, Princess. While it is true he has done as you have said, he has shown an attitude of extreme repentance. His experiences have changed him, M’lady, I give you my word as a Knight.”

Celestia frowned. “That may be so, but that doesn’t change the events that have unfolded.” She yelled, “Guards!” summoning them back into the room. As they entered, she said, “Lock him in the dungeon, and round up the rest of the ponies who assisted his attempted takeover.”

Valiant’s eyes widened in shock. "But…"

“No! Please!” Nightshade pleaded. “My crimes are my own, the ponies of my country are innocent! Lock me away forever, banish me from the face of the earth, do whatever you want to me, but… Just… Please…” Tears began streaming down his face again. “Please… do not punish my people… They… the fault is not theirs…”

Celestia held up a hoof, stopping the guards in their tracks. “You claim full responsibility?”

“Yes…”

“Even if I tell you your punishment will be excruciatingly severe?”

“All the more… I could not bear to have my subjects punished for something I did…”

Celestia smiled. “My little pony… I do believe you have learned something after all.”

Nightshade looked up in surprise. “You… You mean to say that…”

“I shall not punish you. You may leave Equestria in peace.”

Nightshade was stunned into silence. “Tha… Thank you Princess! I shall not forget this!”

Celestia, still smiling, said, “I should hope not, my little pony. Go, your subjects have all already been escorted to Ponyville, where you may take them home. I shall provide transportation for you back to your ships, where you may return home.”

Nightshade bowed, “Thank you Princess! I am forever in your debt.”

Valiant galloped to his brother. “I am truly happy for you Nightshade. I was afraid that… Well… pay it no mind. I shall meet you back in Ponyville. I have something to discuss with the Princess.”

Nodding to his brother and bowing to Celestia again, Nightshade left the room, accompanied by the two guards.

When they were alone, Celestia turned to Valiant and asked, “What is the matter Sir Valiant? Are you not happy? Your country is restored! You can return home and claim your rightful place as ruler of Corralland!”

Valiant’s face drooped. “My Princess… I am truly happy that my brother and my country have been returned to me, but…” His voice dropped off, and he stared at his hooves.

Celestia smiled her all-knowing smile. “It’s Fluttershy, isn’t it?”

Valiant blushed. “I… I just cannot leave her Princess! I know I have a duty to my country, but… I… I love her… I want to always be there to protect her… Her and all my other friends here in Equestria.”

“I understand, my little pony, but you must choose. I will support you no matter what my decide, but… If you want my advice… You should do what your heart tells you.”

Valiant pondered this for a moment, before looking up at Celestia and smiling. “Thank you Princess,” he said. “I believe I know what I must do.”

Valiant flew quickly back to Ponyville. Upon his arrival, Nightshade and the rest of the citizens of Corralland were waiting for him at the train station. Each of them seemed well rested from their stay in the town, and were cheered in their excitement to see him as he landed next to his brother.

After quieting the crowd, Valiant began to speak. “My dear citizens of Corralland, I thank you for all the love and devotion you have shown me. When I fled the country, I thought myself worthless, a useless prince who could not even protect his own people. I wandered in self-pity, covering up my identity to hide the shame I felt on the inside. When I arrived at this wonderful town, I made friends, friends who taught me that true worth comes not from the actions of the past, but the actions in the present. One pony in particular showed me love and kindness… without even knowing who I was. After a time, I grew to love her in return. That is why…” he paused, struggling for the words, “That is why I cannot return home with you and be your prince.”

The entire crowd erupted into a frenzy, yelling and asking who would replace Valiant as ruler of Corralland. Nightshade pushed through the crowd. Grabbing Valiant, he asked, “Brother… what are you…”

Valiant shrugged him off. Quieting the crowd, he said, “Do not think I abandon you my people! I was, and always will be, a Knight of Corralland! There is another here who can rule with much more love and devotion than I can! His heart is with you, and his only concern is for you! He will rule to the best of his ability, and his ability is great indeed!”

Nightshade’s eyes widened, “Brother… you’re not talking about…”

Valiant silenced him with a look. “Corralland, please honor your new king. I give you, Prince Nightshade Moonbeam!”

Stunned silence filled the crowd. For a few awkward moments, Valiant was afraid that everypony would do nothing, or worse. Suddenly, the crowd began to part, as the elderly form of Swirlbeard walked to the front. Nightshade winced as he reached him, preparing himself for the inevitable rebuke, but was stunned as the elderly pony bowed to the ground. He stood in shocked silence, as the rest of the crowd bowed to its knees before its new ruler.

Valiant nudged him, encouraging him to speak. Taking a deep breath, Nightshade said, “Please, dear ponies, rise. I thank you… I do not deserve such a forgiving and honorable people.”

Breaking in, Valiant asked, “Nightshade Moonbeam! Do you promise to keep the peace wherever you shall go?”

Stiffining, Nightshade replied, “I do!”

“Do you promise to defend the innocent, and protect all your subjects, regardless of rank, gender or disposition?”

“I do!”

“Finally, do you vow to keep our actions and words pure and clean, as they represent not only your own thoughts and opinions, but those of your entire country?”

With a deep breath, Nightshade responded, “I do!”

Valiant’s horn glowed. “Therefore, by my own authority as Prince, I hereby name you Prince Nightshade Moonbeam, ruler of the country of Corralland!”

As the gathered ponies cheered, Nightshade turned to Valiant, and said, “I shall take care of them, my brother… You have my word.”

Smiling, Valiant said, “I know you will.”

With that, the ponies of Corralland boarded the waiting train. Waving goodbye, Valiant watched as the train pulled away from the station, beginning their long journey towards home. When they were little more than a dot on the horizon, Valiant turned and walked slowly back towards Fluttershy’s cottage. After months of travel, he was finally going home.

› › › › › › › › › › › › ›

Fluttershy opened the door to her cottage, tears beginning to run down her face. When she had heard about Valiant’s departure, she had flown to the train station as fast as her wings could carry her, but was too late… The station master informed her that the train had already left. He had looked at her with concern as her eyes began to well with tears, but she ran away before he was able to say anything.

Entering the room, she walked over to the couch, collapsing on it in a fit of tears. Why… why didn’t he say goodbye…? Angel, her pet rabbit, hopped over to her, putting a comforting paw on her foreleg. Picking him up and squeezing him, she sobbed, out loud this time, “Why didn’t he say goodbye…?”

Her floorboards gave a small squeak as a shadow passed over her. Her eyes still closed, she felt somepony pick her up and embrace her tightly. “My dear, sweet, lovely lady,” Valiant said softly, “I never left.”

Dropping Angel, Fluttershy grabbed him, pulling herself closer and continuing to cry softly. He held her until she stopped crying, and then he let go, bringing her to hooves length in front of him. As he looked into her eyes, all doubts causing him to second guess his decision to stay vanished. His heart swelled and threatened to burst from his chest as he held her close again. She was his lady, his special somepony, and there was no pony on earth who could change that. As he stroked her soft hair, he whispered in her ear with a voice that could barely be heard, but carried with it the conviction of a thousand promises. “I will always be there to protect you… Always.”

The End