• Published 19th Sep 2012
  • 2,263 Views, 66 Comments

A Warrior's Calling - Valiant_Daybreak



A wounded pony collapses in front of Fluttershy's cottage, but what truly ails him?

  • ...
2
 66
 2,263

Chapter 12 - Valiant's Story

Chapter 12 – Valiant’s Story

Valiant landed at the base of the cottage, looking in through the windows at the ponies assembled inside. Everypony was there. As he put his hoof on the door he paused, taking a deep shaky breath. Steeling himself, he continued forward into the house.

As he pushed open the door, the ponies inside immediately hushed, fixing their eyes on him in anticipation of his tale. Walking further into the room, he looked each pony into the eyes, looking into Fluttershy's last. Her gentle eyes gave him a surge of courage and, taking another deep breath, Valiant began.

“When I was a foal, my country was one of the most beautiful places you could ever imagine. My parents governed the land with friendliness and humility, rather than tyranny and jealousy like some rulers. My father was the champion of his people, ready to solve any dispute with more wisdom than I could ever hope to have. If any threat arose against the kingdom, he would fly out, leading the charge against it until it was vanquished.”

“If my father was my kingdom’s courage, my mother was its love. Within her power, no pony ever went hungry or felt alone. She organized galas, parties and banquets and invited all of Corralland to attend, especially those who were looked down upon by others. My parent’s love for their country was matched only by their love for each other, and their love for my brother and me. It was a time of peace, prosperity and harmony in our kingdom.”

Valiant’s face fell. “Alas, it could not last. When I was fourteen… my mother grew ill. My father sent for the best doctors and healers our country had to offer, but there was nothing they could do. My father, who would have given his life in battle against any foe that would have arisen against her, could only watch as the love of his life was slowly destroyed by an enemy he could not defend her against. When she died, part of him died too. The love he had for his country began to diminish, until it seemed it would vanish entirely.”

“One night, during a winter blizzard, a beautiful mare appeared at our castle, seeking shelter from the cold. Although my father was still mourning the loss of my mother, he could not leave an innocent pony out in the cold. She stayed the night, and that night turned into a day, which turned into a week, which turned into months. All seemed to be well again! My father was in love, and began to act more like his old self. It was not long before he married the mysterious mare.”

“As soon as they were married, however, she began to show her true colors. No longer the beautiful, pure maiden she appeared to be, she was constantly cruel to everypony she could. My brother noticed this and, seeking to win her favor, became her personal slave. This put him in a position of power over most of the castle, who was forced to do her bidding and thus his.”

“It was not long before I noticed this. My father, however, would not listen to my pleas. His love for this terrible mare was so overpowering that his resentment grew for me with each new piece of evidence I brought forward.”

He looked at Twilight. “In my outburst at the party, I told you I left to find help. That was only a half-truth. My father, no longer tolerating my ‘false accusations’ about his queen, decided that a year-long banishment would be good for my attitude. By this time, the country was in disarray from the queen’s evil policies. Before I left, Swirlbeard, the court magician, confided in me that he felt something terrible was about to happen. With that knowledge in my heart, I began to fly east. I knew my Aunt’s kingdom lay somewhere in that general direction, and I was determined to find her and ask for her help.”

“I barely got ten kilometers away, however, before Swirlbeard contacted me telepathically. He managed to tell me that the castle was under attack before the contact was abruptly cut off… Assuming he had been overtaken by something, I flew back to the castle as fast as I could. I was too late. My step-mother and brother used my banishment as the perfect opportunity to stage a coup. They snuck into my father’s bedchambers and assassinated him in his sleep. My only consolation is that he died quickly.”

Valiant paused a moment, giving his father the moment of silence he deserved. After the brief pause, he continued. “Now in complete control, my stepmother revealed herself as the changeling queen, Chrysalis. Using dark magic, she ripped whatever love was left out of my brother, turning him into a changeling as well. Together, they moved swiftly through the castle, ripping the love out of everypony they came across, forcing them to join their rebellion.”

“When I arrived, I immediately located my brother and demanded to know what was happening. In response, he drew his sword and rushed at me with more ferocity than I have ever seen... I was quickly beaten. He knew I could not be turned, so he cut a deep gash in my left wing and flung me from the tower in which we had fought, leaving me to plummet to my death.”

“Before I hit the ground, however, I was saved. Swirlbeard was alive! Using the last of his strength, he healed my wing and told me what had happened. I was so full of anger that I began to take to the air to confront my brother again, but Swirlbeard stopped me. ‘No my Prince!’ he said, ‘Flee now, and live to fight another day! The time will come when you shall avenge your country, but you cannot help anypony in the state you are now! My magic has healed your wing, but you are in no shape for battle. Flee, and return someday to rebuild Corralland!’”

“’I won’t leave you!’ I told him, but he sadly shook his head. ‘I am old, and my strength is gone. If you took me with you, I would only endanger you. Now go!’ Seeing my hesitation, he telepathically pushed me out the window, propelling me far from the castle. Heeding his words, I fled.”

Valiant looked up at the ponies assembled in the room, blinking back tears as he relieved the memories. “Now you know the truth. I am firmly convinced that the changelings that attacked your capitol last month and my people are one and the same. It is only a matter of time before they try again. They are ruthless; hungry for the love that was stolen from them. They will not rest until they have destroyed you… or they themselves are destroyed in the process.”

“I hope that I can still be your friends now that you know that it was my people who attacked you. If you wish me to leave, I will gladly do so.”

Rainbow Dash stepped forward. “Are you kidding? That’s the dumbest suggestion I’ve ever heard!”

“I do not…”

“Of course we’re still your friends! Jeez… now more than ever, right girls?”

Everypony in the room heartily agreed.

“But…”

“Look dear,” Rarity said, “It is not as if you were the one who gave the order to attack us! Why I even feel sorry for the poor changelings now… To think… All that was because someone was manipulating them into doing it!”

Pinkie Pie giggled, “Yeah, and besides, they’re GREAT at impressions!”

All eyes turned towards Pinkie Pie.

“Ah, Sugarcube,” Applejack said, “I’m not sure that was a’tall relevant.”

Twilight stepped forward. “You will always be our friend," she said sincerely, "no matter what you tell us.”

The entire group broke out into a chorus of cheers, patting him on the back and thanking him for finally telling them the truth. After a few more minutes of hugs and reassuring pats, the group began to leave. Soon, Splatter Shell was the only guest left.

“’Shell…” Valiant began, but was cut off.

“It’s alright Valiant,” she said. “You did your best, don’t ever let anypony tell you otherwise, ‘specially yourself!” Smiling at him, she said, “I’m gonna go… I've got a lot to think about, and a big day tomorrow; mural unveiling and all that! Goodnight!” She left the cottage, closing the door as she left.

Alone in the house with Fluttershy, Valiant sighed, sitting down on her couch. Fluttershy walked over and sat down beside him. Noticing his bleak demeanor, she asked softly, “What’s wrong?”

Valiant’s heart melted as he looked into her deep blue eyes. All the fears drudged up by old memories faded away and he could think of nothing he wanted to do more than sit there with her. “Nothing, my beautiful lady,” he said, holding her hoof in his. “Thank you for your concern, but all is well now.”

They stayed that way for a few minutes, before Fluttershy began to feel a heat creeping into her face. I... I feel safe with him… And he feels safe with me… I... I think I... Looking away momentarily, she gathered her courage and looked back, asking, “Valiant?”

Brushing part of her mane out of her face, he replied, “Yes, my lady?”

Blushing again, Fluttershy stammered, “I… I lo…”

At that moment, the entire front of the house blew inward, scattering furniture and debris across the room. Valiant lept from his seat, drawing his sword and positioning himself in front of the extremely frightened Fluttershy. A maniacal laugh echoed in the darkness around him.

“Who are you!?” he shouted. “Show yourself!”

“Why Valiant,” the voice replied, “What a horrible welcome! Aren’t you happy to see your brother?”

Valiant's eyes widened. “My… Oof!” Something hit him in the back of the head, causing his world to fade to blackness.

Author's Comments

Gosh… I end a lot of chapters that way, don’t I? Well, this is it! The Finale awaits! Are you excited? Cause I sure am! This is the most exciting thing ever! Well, except for the time I went *gasp* but really what could beat that!?