• Published 17th Jul 2022
  • 1,659 Views, 47 Comments

A change of fortune - The Wingman



A young man gets sent to Equestria by the means of a fortune cookie. Coming to terms with it, he'll have to brave the new world that may end up being his new home. He isn't completely alone, though. Heck, he may find more here than he thought.

  • ...
6
 47
 1,659

Talk of pizza and bugs

"Are we there yet?"

"No."

"Are we there yet?"

"No."

"Are we..."

"NO!"

It'd felt like hours since I'd be walking with these two bootleg Roman ponies along with carrying the queen of the change...the change...I couldn't remember. Bug queen will do for now. Thankfully we were now closing in on the city and the castle. Honestly I had half of a mind to just walk the opposite way. Alas, I didn't really feel like getting a spear in my back right now. I just wanted pizza. God I miss pizza.

"We are here."

I looked up, sighing in relief. I was just glad to be clear of that weird, deadly and shitty forest. Note to self, never take my kids there.

Oh wait, I don't have kids and this clearly isn't Earth. Welp.

We continued throughout the town. I kept noticing those weird colored ponies what I saw before staring at me. Understandable I suppose. I guess I'd freak out if a random, talking colored horse came out of fucking nowhere.

And I was freaking out, internally at least.

"Creature, you said that you were in the Everfree forest? Why was Queen Chrysalis there?" Queen Chrysalis? So that's the bug's name. Eh well, bug lord still sounds better in my honest and crappy opinion. I would have corrected them on the whole "creature" thing but I didn't have the energy so I instead attempted to shrug with her still on my shoulder, which resulted in me nearly falling over. I balanced myself and looked in their direction.

"I have no clue. I was doing my own thing and suddenly, I was in that forest with this bug queen berating and threatening me."

The two guards looked at each other and then rolled their eyes. What, did they think I was lying? Horses man, can't stand them. Especially when they remind me of the goddamn Care Bears with their overly saturated and annoying colors. Although I did see a yellow horse earlier when we were just starting to pass through. It reminded me a bit of the cheese from pizza.

Jesus Christ, I have a serious pizza addiction.

After what seemed like even longer than the initial walk here from the forest, we had reached the castle. It looked...well, like a castle I suppose. There were a massive set of gates with more of those ponies who looked like they were cosplaying as ancient warriors guarding the front entrance and behind it to the left was a very well kept and large garden. Whatever royalty lived in here (at least I assumed it was royalty, a castle and all), they didn't mess around when it came to the style of the place. The two guards in front of me nodded at the ones in front of the gate. They opened the gate and motioned for me to follow. I didn't say anything but I sighed internally.

"I really just want to get out of this place and get back on my game. I still need to beat that asinine high score of mine." I looked back at the guards who'd walked with me. They looked away and did what I assumed to be a horse version of a high five. Wow, were they really that happy to get rid of me? Pricks. To be fair, I suppose I was being annoying for most of the trip here. Still though, pricks.

As I was following the other two guards, I noticed the massive halls of the castle as we entered, the massive doors behind us closing. This was starting to feel more like I was being taken hostage. Welp, certainly didn't expect my day to end like this. I looked at one of the guards and before I could say anything, it held its hoof up. "Not now. I'm not in the mood. Simply follow and stay quiet." I raised my eyebrow. Jesus, talk about a negative little shit. I shook my head and didn't bother riling them up. What would be the point? I still had the bug lord on my shoulder too, couldn't really just leave her here I guess.

Or I could. Eh well.

We eventually reached another set of doors. One had a royal crest icon on it. Looked like the sun? Weird. The negative nancy guard looked at me and nodded. "Go on in, the princess is expecting you." I just opted for a nod and walked in, the other guard in tow. Apparently I wasn't allowed to come in here on my own. Suppose that makes sense, I guess royalty wouldn't want a random creature coming in to their turf.

Me and the bad cosplaying horsey entered the room and I saw...another horse. What did I expect? But the more I looked, the more I noticed that it was very different to the others that I'd seen so far. For one, it was way bigger, the only one along with the bug to reach my neck. The other horses had only reached up to my stomach. And for two, it had a mane that seemed to flow by itself in the air and it had a bunch of what looked to be regalia on its neck, head and hooves. So, this was the princess? Guess it was a female then. Not sure how I didn't realise that when the guard said "princess".

I'm a slow learner, okay? Sue my ass.

The room itself was a massive one, having a throne at the back and another set of doors at the other side of the room. I turned my head back around and she looked at me and smiled, a surprisingly warm smile.

"Ah, hello there. I had been informed that someone had appeared in the Everfree. It is a pleasure to meet you..?"

It took me a moment to realise that she (yeah, certainly was a female after hearing that voice) was waiting for me to introduce myself. "Sam. As for what I am, I'm what you'd call a [i[human. And you are?"

She chuckled, getting down from her throne. Jesus yeah, she was big compared to the others. She strolled over to me, not unlike a cat, and scanned me up and down before smiling again. "Sam, it is lovely to make your acquaintance. My name is Princess Celestia, but you can just call me Celestia if you'd like. I do need to ask though..." She looked towards my shoulder. I rolled my eyes slightly. "Oh great, more explaining."

I set down the bug....what was her name? Chrysalis? That was it. I'll just stick with that and bug lord. Both are pretty cool. I put her down on the floor gently and looked back at Celestia. Yeah, fuck saying Princess. She may come across as friendly but from my experience so far with the bug lord and those guards...no. She ain't my ruler.

"Her? I'm not sure what she was doing. All I know is that I opened a fortune cookie, I somehow ended up in that really weird mutant like forest and then THIS bug horse showed up out of nowhere and started questioning me before insulting me. Before she could attack me, some other giant freak of nature tried to attack us before the bug lord here shot a stream of...energy? Not even sure what it was. I know her name is Chrysalis and that she's apparently a queen of something."

This "Celestia" looked at me questioningly, scanning me up and down again and then staring down at the bug. Her eyes seemed to fixate on her before she looked back at me, that smile coming back. Alright, that was kinda weird. "You two have some sort of history, I take it?"

She nodded, sighing heavily before looking back at the bug that was still unconcious. "Indeed we do, you are correct. Her name is Chrysalis. She was and probably still is the queen of the changelings. The changelings are a group of beings that feed on love. She and her army attacked us at my niece's wedding. We fought back and managed to send her away but she went quiet for a long time. As for what she was doing in the forest, I intend to find out. Is she heavily injured?"

If I'm being completely honest, I was trying my best not to cringe and laugh. Bugs that feed on love? Sounds like I was in a really badly written kid's cartoon. Alas, I chose to hold my laughter for now. Probably wouldn't be the best first impression to the royalty here. I opted for a slight cough to clear my throat and looked at the b...Chrysalis. "I'm not sure how hurt she is but she fainted straight after she shot that blast at that thing. She hasn't even stirred since I started carrying her back." Celestia looked at me, that warm smile making its way back on her face.

"You carried her out? I was curious as to why she was on your shoulder. You've done a very good thing, Sam, even if it's Chrysalis. Despite what she's done, I care for everypony. I will keep her here until she wakes up and then I will question her. You are welcome to stay here until she does if you so wish?"

I was started to become somewhat uncomfortable and slightly wary of this princess. Why was she being so kind? She didn't even know me, a random creature that showed up out of nowhere. It doesn't seem like these guys have never even heard of a human being so why was she being so trusting? I looked at her curiously.

"Why are you being so trusting and so kind? You've literally only just met me and I'm a completely foreign creature to you? I suppose I could be called an alien in some regard." Man, that sounded fucking crazy saying that. Then again, I'm literally surrounded by a bug horse and technocolored equines.

Celestia stayed near Chrysalis, eying her before eying me again. "You are indeed correct, I don't know you. I've never heard of a human before and I've lived a VERY long time. However, I try and trust everypony until they give me a reason not to. Chrysalis here has some explaining to do when she awakens. For now, the guards will escort her and you to a guest room until she wakes."

I looked at her, slightly dumbfounded. Leaving me alone with her?! She tried to kill me!

"Woah woah, she tried to kill me. I don't think leaving me with her is such a good idea." She looked at Chrysalis and then back at me before smiling.

"Do not fret, Sam. The guards will stay with you in case she tries anything. If she does, they will alert me. I will stay nearby. The guest room is only across the hallway from here." She trotted over to me, smiling. "And to go into more detail as to why I may appear as so trusting to you...I believe in the value of friendship. It's a very important lesson to learn and it is a very nice one to embrace. As I stated before, I give everypony a chance, even if they're unknown to me. As for how you got here....we will discuss that later. I shall see if I can help you."

I mean, she at least seemed genuine. I guess? I could usually tell if a smile was fake and her's purely radiated warmness. It certainly wasn't a fake one. If it was, then hot damn, she was the best lier I'd ever seen. Still, I was still essentially a complete noob in this place and I was still wary of everyone and everything here.

And yes, I noticed that she kept saying everypony instead of everybody. I couldn't be bothered to pull her up about it.

I looked at Chrysalis, the guards picking her up and motioning for me to follow as well. So many questions were lingering inside my head right now. Why was she even in the Everfree and why was she so aggressive? Was she just like that? Celestia did say that she invaded them. Then again, there was always two sides to each story. I might be an asshole but I at least listen to both sides. I sighed, nodding before turning around. I looked back and gave another quick nod at Celestia before walking out. I wasn't one for touchy touchy moments and that felt like it was getting way too deep for me. I honestly just wanted to get home and get some food. Me and the guards made it to the afformentioned guest room. They walked inside, carrying Chrysalis and nodding at me to follow. I walked forward into the room before the guards closed the door behind me. Something was nagging at the back of my head though and I couldn't figure out what it was. Something important. Something like...

Ah crap, my highscore! I forgot about that. Eh well, I'd have to worry about that later. Fuck fortune cookies, though.

Author's Note:

Here's the 2nd one. Hope you enjoyed. Stay cool, guys. This heatwave is worse than 50 wasp stings.