• Published 18th Sep 2012
  • 1,885 Views, 47 Comments

Fluttershy's Voice - Stratocaster



A heartwarming earshattering story of the quietest pegasus in Ponyville

  • ...
0
 47
 1,885

Expected Entertainment

Chapter 7: Expected Entertainment

Princess Cadence paced the floor back and forth in her royal bed chambers. Things were bustling throughout all of Canterlot. The unicorn residents of the city buzzed about the upcoming knighting ceremony of the captain of the royal guard himself, Shining Armor. Already, Canterlot Castle was being decorated for the celebration of this event and the three regal alicorns were preparing to commend the young captain. But Cadence was struggling with her preparation as she worriedly paced her room muttering under her breath. She was interrupted by her husband opening her door.
“Cadence? Are you descent?” he asked before entering.
“Oh, yes dear; come in.” she replied nervously.
The strapping white unicorn stepped in with an inquiring look. “I was looking all over for you. Princess Celestia said she hasn’t seen you all morning.”
“Oh, um, I was just sleeping in, that’s all.”
“Are you okay? You never sleep in, especially when a party is coming up.”
“I’m fine, darling, really. I’m very excited for your knighting next week.”
“Come on, what’s getting you down?”
Cadence resigned and sighed. “I wanted this to be a surprise for your party. But I requested a singer to perform an aria in the castle theater.”
“That’s great. Who did you get?”
“Well, I talked with Vinyl Scratch. You know, that odd unicorn DJ? She said that her friend Octavia got somepony who’s voice was good enough for the aria. And that pony just happens to be Fluttershy.”
“The Fluttershy?! Holy crabapples, Cadence, I don’t believe it. She’s only the biggest singer in Equestria. Now I’m actually going to meet her!”
“Uh, Armor, you do know that you met her before, right?”
“…huh?”
“She was the pegasus who organized the bird choir for our wedding?”
“You mean Twilight’s friend? That’s her?”
“Honestly, Armor, you can be quite forgetful sometimes.”
“Hey, there were a lot of ponies at our wedding; and she was pretty quiet. Though I guess it’s ironic that she became a successful singer. Good for her.”
Cadence smiled and rolled her eyes at her lovable but quirky husband. “If there was one reason I married you, it certainly wasn’t for your memory.”
“Yeah, yeah, yeah. So what’s the trouble? Having Fluttershy at my party doesn’t sound bad at all.”
“Well, it’s been four days since Vinyl Scratch contacted me; but I haven’t heard any confirmation from Fluttershy herself. I’m starting to worry if she’s not coming.”
“I don’t see why you should have to worry; it’s my party after all.”
“Of course dear, but I want everything to be perfect for you. This is a tremendous opportunity for only the bravest soldier in Equestria. You’ll soon be my knight in-”
“I know, I know, like I haven’t heard that one before. Don’t get so worked up just for my sake. Whether Fluttershy shows up or not, I’ll still have a wonderful time, as long as you’re by me.”
“You know I will be.” The slender pink alicorn kissed her husband’s cheek. “Now why don’t you join Celestia and Luna for lunch? I’ll be down in a bit.”
“Sure thing…your highness.”
“Oh please, you know I hate it when you call me that.”
“That’s what you get for having me move into the castle. So you’ll be down for lunch?”
“You bet…Sir Shining Armor.”
The couple gave each other loving looks and Shining Armor exited. Cadence breathed a heavy sigh and went over to her desk. She levitated an inked quill and began scribing a letter on parchment.
“Dear Twilight Sparkle, I’m sure you are well aware of your brother’s ceremony. I look forward to seeing you there next week. It will be nice to see my favorite filly I used to sit for. Anyway, I have a matter to discuss with you concerning your friend, Fluttershy…”

Later that same day, Fluttershy, Stratocaster and Octavia exited Zecora’s hut in the Everfree Forest. The zebra mare stood at the doorway to see them off.
“Thank you for letting us stay, Zecora.” Octavia said. “But we really don’t want to be a burden. We’d best be setting off for Canterlot.”
“It is no trouble, Octavia dear,” replied Zecora. “If you need more help, I will be right here. And Fluttershy, I promise to finish the cure for you, before your performance at the party is due.”
Thanks again, Zecora, I'll see you soon.
Zecora waved the musicians goodbye as they walked the trail back to Ponyville. Upon exiting the forest, they proceeded to Fluttershy’s cottage.
“She seemed nice,” said Octavia. “I sure hope she gets that cure for us soon.”
“Hey Fluttershy, I never asked,” added Stratocaster. “Who’s been taking care of your animals while you’re away?”
Oh, I left my friend Pinkie Pie in charge. I wonder how she's doing.
They approached the front door of her cottage and opened it up to chaos. In the living room, squirrels, chipmunks, raccoons and other rodents were running amuck around the floor and various birds scattered above screeching and squawking. Immediately, a pink earth pony came rushing in holding a squirming white rabbit.
“No! No! Stop!” shouted Pinkie Pie. “The squirrels aren’t supposed to eat the bird food! And the birds aren’t supposed to eat the fish food! Oh how in Equestria does Fluttershy live with this?!”
“Um, hello?” announced Stratocaster.
The pink mare gasped at the sight of him. “Oh my gosh, it’s Stratocaster! And Fluttershy! I’m so glad you’re back!”
Octavia cleared her throat expecting some recognition.
“So what brings you back, Fluttershy?” asked Pinkie.
Fluttershy opened her mouth but hesitated and instead whispered in Stratocaster’s ear.
“Uh, she just wanted to stop by to check on her animals.” He spoke for her.
“Oh it is not as easy as you promised it would be. I don’t know how you manage to control all these critters! I even have to get Applejack to wrangle them up every now and then. It’s nothing like taking care of the Cake twins. Ouch!” Angel bit her hoof making her let go and he scampered off. The bunny grasped himself onto Fluttershy’s leg and she hugged him lovingly.
“Oh by the way, Fluttershy,” continued Pinkie. “Congratulations on singing at Shining Armor’s knighting ceremony!”
The three musicians became startled.
“Wait, how did you know about that?” asked Octavia. “I was told Fluttershy’s appearance was going to be a surprise.”
“Well you see, our friend Twilight got a letter from Princess Cadence. She actually knows Twilight because she used to foal-sit for her when she was a filly. And then I met her when we found out she was marrying Shining Armor who just happens to be Twilight’s brother. And then we showed up to their wedding, but then this creepy changeling lady-”
“Could you speed this up, please?” asked Stratocaster impatiently.
“Oh sorry. Anyway, the Princess was worried that Fluttershy wouldn’t show up. But Twilight replied to her saying that she would, and that the rest of her friends would come to see her sing. It’s going to be great! Hey Fluttershy, are you okay? You’re twitching more than I do.”
She nodded with a squeamish expression shaking in her knees.
“Come on, Fluttershy, you can talk to Auntie Pinkie. What’s getting you down with that old frown?”
Fluttershy avoided Pinkie’s gaze behind her mane.
“Um, Pinkie Pie, she has to save her voice for the party.” Octavia lied.
Just then, a distraught pigeon swooped over their heads. The bird knocked a framed photo off of Fluttershy’s wall causing it to fall straight down toward her, bonking her on the head.
"YOUCH! ...oopsie.
After a second of stunned silence, Pinkie screamed and swiped up Angel in her hoof. She then grabbed a spoon and pointed it threateningly at her friend.
“Who are you and what have you done with Fluttershy?!” she exclaimed in panic.
Fluttershy face hoofed and gave her a discerning stare. “Pinkie, it's still me.
“Liar! Fluttershy’s voice is soft and apparently loud nowadays. She does not sound like you, imposter!”
“Look, Pinkie,” said Stratocaster. “She just stepped in poison joke. She told me you knew about that.”
Pinkie dropped her weapon and the angry bunny in realization and then strangely returned to her usual smile. “Oh, is that all? Fluttershy, you know Zecora can just cure you.”
“That’s the thing.” Octavia explained. “Zecora is unable to complete the antidote. We’re still waiting for her to find the missing ingredient before the knighting next week.”
Pinkie, please, you can't tell anypony about this; especially not Shining Armor, the Princesses, or our friends. Please, do you Pinkie promise?
“Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my- OW!” she poked her eye while making the appropriate gestures. “But you should be careful. The entire town is talking about your performance at Canterlot Castle. And you wouldn’t want everypony to find out your voice is all big and deep. But I swear I won’t tell anypony, that’s a Pinkie promise.”
“Well I’m not sure what that means but we should get going.” Stratocaster said. “We told Zecora to meet us in Canterlot once she’s finished the cure. We’ll just be on our way.”
Thanks a bunch, Pinkie, you're a great friend.” Fluttershy hugged her before following the other two out the door. “Take good care of my little friends; I owe you one!
“Wait a minute, where are you going?” asked Pinkie nervously. “I still don’t know what I’m doing. DON’T LEAVE ME-”
The trio closed the door leaving her to tend to the stampede of critters. They walked down the road from the cottage leaving the sound of crashing and yelling behind them.
“It’s best that we head to Canterlot anyway.” Octavia said. “If Princess Cadence is worried, we’d better make sure to show up with you, Fluttershy.”
But I can't talk to the Princesses or Shining Armor like this.
“Not to worry,” replied Stratocaster. “I’m sure your friend Zecora will show up in time. For now, we just got to keep you away from…”
They stopped in their tracks to see a gaggle of ponies in the road grinning at them.
“Look, it’s Fluttershy!”
The crowd cheered loudly and circled the three. Fluttershy whimpered.