• Published 18th Sep 2012
  • 1,884 Views, 47 Comments

Fluttershy's Voice - Stratocaster



A heartwarming earshattering story of the quietest pegasus in Ponyville

  • ...
0
 47
 1,884

Pony Paparazzi

Chapter 8: Pony Paparazzi

In every direction, the giddy residents of Ponyville gathered around Fluttershy, Stratocaster and Octavia elated to see the famed female singer from their hometown. Several journalists pushed their way upfront lousy with questions.
“Fluttershy, what brings you back to Ponyville?”
“Are you in preparation for Shining Armor’s knighting ceremony?”
“Have you received any word from the Princesses?”
“Will this have any effect on your career with Stratocaster?”
“Are you planning to move to Manehattan?”
“What is your favorite music genre?”
“What do you do on the weekends?”
“Who does your mane?”
Fluttershy darted between the pestering interviewers sticking tape recorders in her face. She dared not speak to any of them, so Stratocaster backed her up.
“My partner really doesn’t have time for questions; she’s very busy.”
“Stratocaster,” said a paparazzo. “Will you be attending the show at the knighting?”
“Yes, now if you’ll excuse us, we have to get back to Manehattan.”
Fluttershy gave him a confused look and whispered in his ear. “Strat, I thought we were going to Canterlot.
“That’s just to throw them off so they won’t follow us.” He whispered back.
“Stratocaster, will you be performing at the castle as well?” asked another journalist.
“Will you and Fluttershy be working on another album?”
“Octavia, are you planning on recording with Fluttershy?”
“Let’s get out of here.” Octavia urged.
The three struggled through the crowd with little success. The ponies slowed them down chattering indistinctly and blocking there path. Finally, they pushed all the way out of the fanatic mass and hurried down the road. But a quick double take showed them that the ponies were charging after them.
Oh goodness, these ponies just won't leave us alone.
“Trust me, I’ve had worse.”
“Oh please, Strat, now is not the time to brag.”
The music stars galloped into town through the streets where more excited ponies spotted them and joined in the chase. Throughout the town, they tried to shake the crowd off by making sharps turns into smaller streets; but the mob only grew bigger and continued their pursuit. They attempted to fly away, but only to be blocked by pegasi fans. At one point, the musicians sat on a bench hiding their faces in newspapers; at another, they darned wigs and false facial hair and misdirected the crowd away from them. But despite their efforts, they could not escape Fluttershy’s loyal fans. Eventually, the trio was backed into a dead end in an alley, and the crazed masses piled in.
“Great, we’re trapped like rats!” quivered Stratocaster. “Whatever you do, Fluttershy, don’t say a word to them.”
Oh, if I have to keep quiet any longer, I'm going to scream!
“Please don’t!” exclaimed Octavia.
Suddenly, the three were met with a blinding light; they shielded their eyes not knowing what to expect. Strangely, the sound of the ponies’ chattering had died out and silence had replaced it. Cautiously, they opened their eyes to view their surrounding. They found themselves in what appeared to be a library constructed from the wood interior of a tree. Before any of them could speak, a familiar lavender mare entered through the front door.
“Phew, that was a close one;” said Twilight Sparkle closing the door behind her. “It’s a good thing that teleportation spell of mine worked. Are you all okay?”
Fluttershy beamed at the sight of her friend and badly wanted to speak to her. But she quickly caught herself and kept her mouth shut.
“Hey, aren’t you another one of Fluttershy’s friends?” asked Stratocaster.
“Yup, my name is Twilight Sparkle; I run this library. I heard from the ponies in town that Fluttershy was back so I went to see the commotion. But then I saw that everypony was hounding you three, so I took matters into my own hooves and brought you here with my magic. You should be safe here; I won’t give you guys away. Let me get you three some lemonade.”
Twilight walked into her kitchen leaving the musicians to talk amongst them.
Strat, I have to tell her what happened.
“Fluttershy, at this point, we’re just deliberately telling ponies one by one that your voice is messed up.”
But Twilight is really trustworthy; she won't tell a soul. Besides, she's super smart. Maybe she can help us get to Canterlot without being followed.
“She has a point, Strat,” said Octavia. “If she was able to save us from those fanatics, then she might help us after all.”
“Alright, you can talk to her,” Stratocaster said to Fluttershy. “But only if she can really help us.” He felt a sense of irony telling her singing partner to shut up
Then Twilight returned into the main room with a tray full of lemonade glasses.
“So Fluttershy,” she said. “I heard that you’re going to sing an aria at my brother’s knighting. You must be so honored.”
Thanks, um, you're going too, right?
“Why of course I am, I wouldn’t miss it for the…” Twilight’s expression became stunned at the sound of her friend’s deep tone. “…Oh please tell me you didn’t.”
Yup, poison joke.” Fluttershy rubbed the back of her head embarrassed.
“Fluttershy, didn’t you go to Zecora to get cured?” asked Twilight with a face hoof.
We did, but she couldn't complete the antidote. But don't worry, she promised to get it to me in Canterlot before next week.
“Then why are you still here?”
“We tried to get to Canterlot after seeing Zecora,” said Octavia. “But Fluttershy’s fans would follow us wherever we went and we can’t have any of them knowing about her voice.”
“I see your point.” Twilight replied. “Ever since that first concert, all of Ponyville has been buzzing about you, Fluttershy. I even heard that Scootaloo started a fan club where all the members where long pink wigs.”
Fluttershy shivered at the image of all those ponies dressing up as her.
“But I don’t see how you’re going to sing at the knighting with a voice like that.” Twilight continued. “If Zecora can’t help you, then I don’t know what you’ll.”
Twilight, please don't tell anypony about this. I already told Pinkie Pie and she promised to keep it secret. You won't tell will you?
“Of course not, Flutterguy, I mean, shy.” She said still trying to cope with her friend’s bass. “What are friends for?”
“Okay good,” said Stratocaster. “Now can you help us get to Canterlot? It’s important that we get there before we risk letting this secret slip by. Maybe you can use that magic thing you did to get us there.”
“Sorry, but teleportation isn’t that easy; and my magic would never be strong enough. However, I do have a better way to get you to Canterlot. Follow me upstairs.”

Outside the Ponyville Library, the Fluttershy fanatics crowded around literally barking up a tree. They waited eagerly for her as they had somehow tracked her down to Twilight’s home and business. Then, they perked up as they saw some rustling in the top leaves of the tree building. Rising from the foliage was a small purple hot air balloon ascending into the air. The crowd cheered randomly.
“FLUTTERSHY!”
“IS THAT FLUTTERSHY?”
“FLUTTERSHY I LOVE YOU!”
“FLUTTERSHY!”
Twilight popped her head out from the basket of the balloon. “Nope, just me; I’m just going out for a little ride. Now could you all please kindly GET THE HAY AWAY FROM MY LIBRARY?! We’re closed!”
The disappointed ponies walked away murmuring grudgingly at her. As the balloon cleared the skyline of Ponyville, Twilight turned to her refugees crouching below in the basket.
“We’re in the clear.” She told them. “Now it’s nothing but smooth sailing to Canterlot.”
Thanks so much, Twilight. Anymore running and I wouldn't have enough breath to sing. I mean, if my voice wasn't so...you know.
“How long will it take to get us there?” asked Stratocaster.
“It’s going to be a while,” answered Twilight. “But we should make it there by the end of the day.”
“Uh oh, I just thought of something bad;” quivered Octavia. “What if Vinyl Scratch tells somepony about Fluttershy?”
“Maybe they Vinyl thought she was just kidding.” Stratocaster suggested. “Or maybe they won’t believe her.”
“Well no matter what happens,” added Twilight. “I just hope Zecora gets that cure to you before it’s too late.”
It was a long balloon flight to the unicorn city. The lack of strong wind kept them floating along at a slow cruise. Before long, Celestia’s sun began to set and the travelers were growing bored. At one point, Stratocaster attempted to hock spit on passing carriages below, much to Fluttershy’s laughter and Twilight and Octavia’s disgust. After several long hours of sluggish flying, Canterlot finally came into view as the sun completely set. Twilight eased off on the torch that had lifted the balloon and they descended toward an open plaza outside the front of Canterlot Castle. Upon landing, the four hopped out of the basket and were greeted by two royal guards.
“Princess Cadence has been expecting your arrival, Miss Fluttershy.” One of them said.
Fluttershy only gave a grateful smile. Then the other guard turned to Twilight.
“And Miss Sparkle, it’s great to have Princess Celestia’s pupil here again. I’m sure your brother will be glad to see you.”
“Thanks, Cutlass. How’s the family, Saber?” replied Twilight.
“Great, thanks for asking.” The first guard answered. “We’ll take you to the Princesses.”
“Actually, this is where I take my leave.” Octavia said. “I’m going to find Vinyl and make sure she didn’t spill. I’ll come to see you at the knighting. Good luck Fluttershy…really.”
Fluttershy hugged her cellist friend before she departed into the city and the guards led the remaining three into the castle. Stratocaster spoke out of earshot of the sentries.
“Okay, now we got a new problem. How are we going to keep this little secret of ours from the Princesses?”
“Well, we can’t lie to them that Fluttershy’s sick.” Twilight said. “I mean, I guess that’s actually kind of the truth, but still it would completely put a halt on the performance.”
“You know any spells that could help?”
“Hmm…there is one that would a situation like this. Just leave it me.”
As they stood in the foyer, they saw her descend the grand staircase. Princess Celestia in all her divine majesty walked gracefully to her guests with her usual warm smile.
“Twilight, my favorite student,” she spoke. “It’s great to see you showed up early for your brother’s knighting. And Fluttershy too, Cadence will be so relieved to see you made it.”
The three bowed to her formally.
“Princess, it’s my pleasure to tell you that Fluttershy has agreed to perform the aria.”
“Oh wonderful! You have such an amazing voice, Fluttershy, I’m very proud of your success.”
“Um Princess, do you mind if I use your bathroom? It was kind of a long flight.” asked Twilight.
“Of course, Twilight, you know where it is.”
“Thank you.” Twilight walked down the foyer to the left and turned behind a corner.
“So what brings you here so early?” asked the Princess.
Fluttershy darted her eyes from side to side with not a clue on how to respond to this without revealing her ailment. Suddenly, she felt something tingling inside her throat and noticed Twilight peeking from around the corner. Her horn was glowing with her magic, and as soon as she began moving her lips, Fluttershy found herself speaking in her old voice.
Oh, um, I just wanted to get a head start so I wouldn't have to rush the day before the knighting. Plus I wanted to practice in the castle theater and get more acquainted with Shining Armor.
“Well that was thoughtful of you.” Celestia replied. “There’s plenty of room for you, Twilight, and Stratocaster to stay until the knighting. Allow me to show you to your guest rooms.”
She walked back up the stairs. Fluttershy gawked in confusion with Stratocaster wearing the same reaction. Twilight walked over beside her.
Twilight, did you-
The unicorn shushed her and proceeded to follow the Princess upstairs; Fluttershy and Stratocaster joined her. They came to a hall lined with many decorative doors that led to the guest rooms of the castle. Celestia stopped and opened one.
“You’ll be sleeping in here, Fluttershy. Twilight and Stratocaster can take the two rooms down. I do hope you all enjoy your stay.”
Thank you, Princess. We really appreciate it.” Fluttershy spoke again involuntarily.
The Princess left them to take in their surroundings. Fluttershy turned to Twilight.
Was that you making me do that, Twilight?
“Yup. I don’t know why didn’t think of that before. It’s a spell called Ventriloquism; it allows one to make another pony speak in any voice. All I had to do was picture your old voice and use the spell on you.”
“Wait a minute,” said Stratocaster. “If you can make her speak in her normal voice, then maybe you can have her sing too. If push comes to shove, you can just use the spell to make her sing the aria.”
“But Stratocaster, I’m not much of a singer. I mean, I do enjoy breaking out into random motivational song every once and again, but there’s no way I can sing an aria; especially not like Fluttershy.”
Besides Strat, wouldn't using the ventriloquism spell be kind of, um...cheating?
“I’m not saying it’s our only fallback. But if Zecora doesn’t show up sometime this week, we won’t have much of a choice. For now, let’s just hope and wait.”
“You’re right.” Twilight gave a long yawn. “Well, it’s getting kind of late. I think I’m going to turn in.”
“Me too. Goodnight, Twilight. Are you going to be okay, Fluttershy?”
Yes, I'll be fine. I'm feeling pretty tired myself after a day like this.
“I know what you mean. I guess that’s the price of fame.”
Well goodnight, Strat.
“Goodnight, Fluttershy.”
They hugged each other warmly and retired to their rooms hoping that the next day would be less stressful.