• Published 18th Sep 2012
  • 1,884 Views, 47 Comments

Fluttershy's Voice - Stratocaster



A heartwarming earshattering story of the quietest pegasus in Ponyville

  • ...
0
 47
 1,884

Ponyville Rock City

Fluttershy’s Voice
By Stratocaster

Chapter 1: Ponyville Rock City

“Angel…wake up…it’s time to get out of bed, silly bunny.”
Fluttershy stood in her living room by Angel’s basket bed. The little white rabbit that was her favorite pet only stirred beneath the covers as she tried to urge him awake.
“Come on now, Angel, it’s already 10:00 AM.” Fluttershy said still retaining her gentle motherly tone. “You don’t want to sleep through the whole day do you?”
Angel poked his head out from the covers and glared at his caretaker with beady eyes. He stuck out his tongue like an immature foal and hid beneath the blanket again. Fluttershy frowned.
“Angel, please, you had better get out of bed this…” she tried desperately to raise her voice but ultimately suppressed the shout. “…instant.”
Her squeak did nothing to draw the stubborn bunny out of his comfy little sanctuary. Fluttershy sighed and decided to go with plan B. She strode to the other side of the room grabbing a fishing pole with a carrot tied to the end of the line. Keeping out of Angel’s sight, she cast the veggie bait over next to his bed. Sure enough, the bunny’s nose began to twitch and he rose from under the blanket. He eyed the delectable orange morsel and joyfully pounced on it. With hook line and sinker, Fluttershy reeled the bait in pulling her little friend along. Eventually, Angel hung off the end of the pole clamping the carrot in his mouth. He was not amused.
“That’s a good little bunny!” smiled Fluttershy victoriously.

After washing up and enjoying a fresh breakfast, Fluttershy stepped outside her woodland cottage by the Everfree Forest. She usually woke up earlier to tend t her morning birds, but today seemed like a lazy day. The duckling yellow pegasus stretched her feathered wings and inhaled the brisk fall air as she began the day with her typical chores. She grabbed a watering can in her mouth and fed the flowers sitting by her front door. As the droplets toppled on her azaleas, she began to hum a folk tune to herself. Everything for her was perfect; so peaceful, so quiet, so serene, so-
“Hi Fluttershy!”
“EEP!”
Fluttershy shot upward, dropping the watering can, and hovered in midair curling into a frightened fetal position. Shaking, she opened one eye and looked down at her surprise visitor. But it was none other than her hyperactive pink earth pony friend smiling up at her.
“Oh, uh, hi Pinkie Pie.” She responded sheepishly and floated back down to the ground.
“Sooooooooo? Have you heard the big news?” asked Pinkie Pie knowingly.
“Um, what news?”
Pinkie gasped melodramatically. “You mean you haven’t heard?! It’s only the biggest, bestest, magnificentest, extraordinariest thing to ever come to Ponyville…well besides Princess Celestia…and Princess Luna…and the circus, I love the circus…and the Wonderbolts…and Hoity Toity…and…”
“Pinkie, um, sorry to interrupt but, what is it?”
“It’s Stratocaster!”
Fluttershy stared at her ecstatic friend briefly with no reaction.
“Um, I’m sorry, what is that?”
“You don’t know about Stratocaster?! Where have you been? Living in a cottage?!”
“…um…well…”
“He’s only the most awesome musician from Cloudsdale!”
“Oh, well, I don’t listen to a lot of modern music, I’m afraid.”
“Oh come on, Fluttershy, he’s like the best rock star in Equestria! And he’s coming here to Ponyville to play live!” Pinkie hopped in place letting out an excited squeal.
“Uh, that’s great, I guess.” Fluttershy shrugged. “That sounds like something you and Rainbow Dash might enjoy.”
“Ooh, why don’t you come to see him with me, Fluttershy? I’ll even pay for your ticket.”
“Oh, that’s okay, Pinkie. It’s really not necessary. I’m not that big a fan of rock music.”
“Come on, it’ll be fun! There’s nothing wrong with a little rock n’ roll!”
“Well yes but, it’s just so…loud.” She said with a quiver.
“So we’ll just watch from the back. Come on, what do you say?”
“Uh, I don’t know.”
Before Fluttershy could continue, a loud whoosh came from above. She and Pinkie Pie looked up to see a rainbow streak over their heads. As expected, their hotshot pegasus friend Rainbow Dash swooped in and landed between the pair.
“Oh…my…gosh!” the sky blue pony exclaimed. “Fluttershy, did you hear that Stratocaster is coming to Ponyville?!”
“Well actually, Pinkie Pie here was just telling me…”
“Yes!” interrupted Pinkie. “It’s going to be the best concert ever!”
“I know, right?!” replied Rainbow just as excited as her.
“Wow,” said Fluttershy. “Are you going tonight too, Rainbow?”
“Oh the concert’s not tonight,” she explained. “It’s a week from now. But I heard that Stratocaster himself is coming today at noon!”
Pinkie let out another eccentric gasp. “That’s just a few minutes away! I can’t believe it! The one and only Stratocaster is coming to Ponyville! Here, of all places! We should head over to town right now so we can see him. Come on, Fluttershy!”
“Oh, uh, I don’t know if that’s…”
Fluttershy’s two friends were already galloping off before she could respond. She stood on her walkway not knowing what to do. She debated whether to stay and tend to her animals or see what all the commotion over this strange musician was about. Pressured, she inevitably started floating toward town after Pinkie and Rainbow.
“Oh dear.”

Fluttershy followed her friends all the way to town square where a crowd of ponies were gathering around anxiously. Among the crowd, she spotted Twilight Sparkle who greeted her warmly.
“Hey Fluttershy, are you here to see Stratocaster too?” the lavender unicorn asked.
“I guess so. But to be honest, I’ve never even heard of this pony.”
“Really?! He’s been topping the music charts for weeks. Have you even heard any of his songs before?”
“Not really, I’m not that into rock, actually.”
In fact, Fluttershy was more into folk music. She adored the hushed mellow tones of softly played acoustic instruments, the resonant harmonized vocals, and the lyrics telling of nature and tranquility. Her collection included vinyl records of the biggest artists from the genre such as Buck Dylan, Pony Mitchell, and Stallion and Garfunkel. But never would she catch herself listening to the loud uproarious mainstream music of her day. Rock n’ roll in particular was not in her list of preferences. As Fluttershy joined next to Twilight, she heard the shout of a random pony in the crowd.
“He’s here!”
Suddenly, all the ponies began cheering and whinnying in anticipation. Fluttershy looked around astonished at the hype and even saw Twilight hopping in place while gazing up at the sky. She looked up to where her friend was focused on and noticed something flying closer and closer to town. It was a black carriage limousine pulled by two pegasus chauffeurs. The crowd dispersed clearing a path for the stretched carriage to land. Fluttershy squinted to see who was inside the back seat of the limo, but the windows were for some reason tinted. After galloping for a bit, the pair of chauffeurs finally stopped the carriage and one of them walked over to the back. He opened the rear left door of the limo and instantly, everypony cheered even louder and reared back flailing their front hooves in the air. Fluttershy could hear a gaggle of mares upfront shrieking ecstatically at whoever was the high class passenger; and then she saw him. Exiting the back of the limo was a royal blue pegasus stallion sporting a black leather jacket and a pair of aviator sunglasses. His longish brown mane was combed into a stylish mop top, and his cutie mark was an electric guitar. Incidentally, he carried an actual similar guitar slung on a strap across his back. The stallion who was called Stratocaster greeted his public with a bright grin. Fluttershy gawked at the celebrity pegasus who waved to his left and right as he strode proudly through the crowd.
“It’s him! It’s him!” shouted Twilight who was still jumping in place.
“That’s Stratocaster?” queried Fluttershy.
“Yeah, isn’t he amazing?”
“Uh, I guess.”
Fluttershy didn’t know what her friends saw in this eccentric stallion. To her, he looked more like an action movie star than a musician. Then again, she wasn’t a fan of action movies either. She looked on as Stratocaster approached a stage with Mayor Mare waiting to greet him. They stood together sharing a microphone.
“Mr. Stratocaster,” started the Mayor. “It is a great pleasure to have you come to Ponyville as part of your tour.”
“Thank you, Mayor.” Stratocaster replied in a warm deep voice.
“We hope you will enjoy your stay here. Until your concert, take your time to tour what we have to offer here in Ponyville, such as the beautiful wide open fields of Sweet Apple Acres.”
“Darn tootin’!” cheered the voice of Applejack from somewhere in the crowd.
“I’m sure I’ll have plenty to see around here for the week.” Stratocaster said.
“But for now,” continued the Mayor. “Why don’t you demonstrate your musical talents for us here today.”
“Well, I couldn’t possibly…”
Then, the mass of ponies cheered once again urging him to play a song.
“Oh alright.”
Stratocaster proceeded to plug his guitar into a nearby amplifier and stood on the edge of the stage. He started out with strumming partially muted chords in a pop rhythm. Then he stunned the crowd with a sudden power chord progression played in a heart pumping punk style. Among repeating this progression, he added improvised licks which he quickly articulated. This continued for the next two minutes as the crowd glued their eyes and ears to him. Fluttershy watched him slide his hoof across the stringed neck in curiosity; it always baffled her how ponies could master this instrument with hooves. Her ears flickered at the loud wailing tones of the guitar hitting her. She was usually uncomfortable with loud noises, but she figured in this case that it wasn’t so bad since it was in music form. Finally, Stratocaster stopped with a low power chord that he let resonate and fade out. The crowd stomped and cheered in applause for their proud performer. Not wanting to be rude, Fluttershy stomped her hooves as well nonchalantly.
“Thank you, thank you!” Stratocaster waved to his audience happily. “And if you liked that, Ponyville, then make sure to see me this Saturday night at eight. Thank you!”
The citizens of Ponyville continued their ovation as the rock n’ roll pony disappeared offstage. Fluttershy kept watching in wonder until she felt a hoof touch her shoulder.
“EEP!”
“Fluttershy, darling, wasn’t that amazing?”
She turned around to see the pearly white unicorn who was her spa day partner.
“Oh, hi Rarity.” She replied. “Um, it was very…interesting.”
“Oh that Stratocaster is such a dashing performer. I can’t wait for his concert next week.”
“You’re going too? So I guess you’ll be joining Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash, huh?”
“Yes, along with Twilight and Applejack. But I haven’t heard anything from you, Fluttershy. Why don’t you join us? It’ll be absolutely spectacular.” The fashionista pony fluttered her eyelashes in emphasis.
“Uh, I don’t know about that, Rarity. Rock music is awfully loud and I don’t want to ruin anypony’s good time.”
“Oh nonsense, dear, it’ll be just fine. Why don’t I buy you a ticket? It’s the least I can do to pay you back for covering our last spa date.”
“I’m not sure. I think I may need to think it over.”
“Well don’t take too long. Stratocaster tickets sell out fast. But do let me know when you’re ready, Fluttershy. Have a nice day!”
“Yeah, uh, see ya.”
Now all five of her friends were attending this concert. Fluttershy didn’t want to let them down, but a rock show was just not her cup of tea. She gave a troubled sigh and walked back to her cottage as the other ponies left.
“Oh what am I going to do?”