• Published 18th Sep 2012
  • 1,884 Views, 47 Comments

Fluttershy's Voice - Stratocaster



A heartwarming earshattering story of the quietest pegasus in Ponyville

  • ...
0
 47
 1,884

Dinner Conversation

Chapter 10: Dinner Conversation

“And that was ‘Heavy’ by Collective Foal, here on the Hoof. Coming at you later, for all you metal fans, we got some Rammsteed to kick off their upcoming new album. And we’re also still holding tickets to the Los Pegasus music festival for the next lucky caller. Uh what else? What’s in the news? Oh yeah, everypony over in Canterlot is expecting Fluttershy to sing an aria at the knighting of Shining Armor. But recently, nopony has seen much sign of her, not even the Princesses or the captain himself. Some are even starting to doubt if she’ll even be there at all. Well let’s hope they’re wrong. This is your host Airtime right here on 93.9 W-HUF the Hoof! We’ll be right back!”

Stratocaster and Twilight paced the floor of the castle lounge worriedly. They had spent the whole day searching all over town for Fluttershy with no luck. To complicate matters, all three of the Princesses were busy in Manehattan meeting with ambassadors from the land of the griffons, so they were no help in the search. When the two returned to the castle that night, Fluttershy had still not returned. They became concerned.
“I don’t get it, Strat.” Twilight said. “Where could she have possibly gone? It’s not like Fluttershy to wander too long.”
“Well we have to find her soon.” He replied. “With the knighting in four days we already have too much trouble.”
“Is that all you can think about? She could be in serious danger.”
“Twilight, the danger is that the Princesses will have my head if she’s not here to sing.”
“Ugh, you’re impossible! How can Fluttershy even stand to work with you?”
Just then, the door to the lounge opened with Fluttershy standing outside.
“Fluttershy!” shouted Twilight.
“Oh thank Celestia you’re okay.” Stratocaster smiled. “I was so worried about you.”
Twilight rolled her eyes at him. “Where have you been?” she asked her. “We’ve looked everywhere for you.”
Fluttershy darted her eyes nervously. “I, uh, I was in, uh, the castle library. Yeah, that's it. It's kind of one of the only places I can go where I don't have to talk.
“You spent the whole day at the library?” queried Stratocaster.
“We looked there four times.” Twilight added.
Um, I got lost there?” she shrugged feigning embarrassment.
Stratocaster looked at her with a raised eyebrow, but Twilight seemed accepting.
“Well I guess that’s a good point. I’ve gotten lost in that library a few times, myself.”
“You really shouldn’t stray too far from us, Fluttershy.” Stratocaster said. “Not that I don’t trust you, but we still can’t have anypony knowing about your voice.”
Strat, don't worry about me. I know how bad this situation is and I don't need you to remind me.
“All I’m saying is that the performance will be ruined if anypony finds out.” He said.
She began to grow agitated at him. “Listen to yourself; I feel like you don't even trust me anymore.
He backed down a bit. “Gee Fluttershy, I didn’t-”
Look Strat, I think I'm perfectly fine keeping my own voice a secret.
“Is somepony in there?”
EEP!
They hushed down at the sound of a stallion’s voice outside the door. They watched as the knight-to-be entered.
“Big brother!” exclaimed Twilight as she ran over to hug Shining Armor.
“Hey sis, sorry I didn’t get to see you arrive the other night. The misses had me visiting Fillydelphia for a party.”
“‘The misses’; listen to you, big bro. I still can’t get used to the fact that you’re married.”
“Well, you’re going to have to get used to me being a knight too.”
“Uh, Captain Armor,” greeted Stratocaster nervously. “It’s a pleasure to meet your acquaintance, sir.”
“The pleasure is mine.” Shining Armor shook his hoof. “I’m a big fan of your music; especially with Fluttershy here.”
“Heh heh, fantastic.” Stratocaster chuckled hiding anxiety.
Shining Armor then turned to Fluttershy. “It’s great to see you again, Fluttershy. And I’m honored to have you sing at my knighting party.”
Fluttershy smiled courteously and shook his hoof. She darted her eyes in the direction of Twilight hoping she would take her hint. It took the unicorn a bit to understand before she showed a look of realization and ignited her magic. Fluttershy felt the tingling in her throat again.
I'm very happy to do it, Captain.
“Oh you can just call me Armor; any friend of Twilight’s is a friend of mine. So, I suppose you’re getting ready for the aria?”
Oh yes, I've been warming up ever since I was given the opportunity. I assure you and Princess Cadence will be in for quite a prformance.
“That’s terrific! But, there was something I wanted to ask you, if it’s not too much trouble. I was wondering if you could also sing one of your rock songs after the aria.”
“What?!” exclaimed Twilight at the same time making Fluttershy respond similarly.
What?!
“Yeah, maybe you could sing something from Sounds of Shy.” He continued. “I love that album. I mean, would that be okay?”
Fluttershy looked to Twilight for an answer but she was equally speechless. Then Stratocaster once again intervened.
“Uh, sure, of course. And I’d be happy to accompany her for that other song. Yup, no problem, right Fluttershy?”
She nodded slowly.
“Thanks so much.” Shining Armor replied. “I really appreciate you doing this. To tell you the truth, I’m looking forward to your show more than I am to the actual ceremony.”
Fluttershy gulped trying to keep down a whimper.
“Well, I’ll see you all in the morning.” He made back toward the door. “Oh by the way, Princess Celestia is going to have a banquet for us tomorrow. I hope you can make it. Have a good night!” he exited the lounge.
Twilight waited until he was out of earshot. “How did I ever get wrapped into this?”

As Shining Armor said, the royal servants of Canterlot Castle were preparing an elaborate feast the next day. In the kitchen, the chefs were hard at work whipping up the various meals, while the stewards bustled about setting the long table in the dining room. The three Princesses, the two musicians, the captain and his scholar sister all sat down as the first course, Frenchpony onion soup, was brought out. Fluttershy stirred her bowl innocently trying not to draw acknowledgement from the other six. Princess Celestia, sitting in the host chair at the end, unfortunately acknowledged.
“So Fluttershy,” she said. “Are you enjoying your stay here?”
She nodded with a courteous smile.
“Still trying to conserve your voice are you? I understand. It’s going to be a great show.”
“Indeed, we look ever forward to this aria of yours.” Princess Luna said sitting to the right of her sister. “How go the preparations for the song, fair master of the electric lute?”
After slowly realizing the boisterous moon princess was talking to him, Stratocaster replied. “Oh, um, everything is going smoothly, Princess. You won’t be disappointed.”
“We hope not.” Luna scoffed. “This is after all a momentous royal occasion.”
“Aunt Luna, please,” said Princess Cadence. “Don’t make our guests nervous. You might give Fluttershy stage fright.”
Fluttershy cringed recalling the memory of the first time she stood in front of the large audience back in Ponyville. She managed to finish half of her soup before the stewards took the bowls away and replaced them with the second course, a vinaigrette sunflower salad. She noticed that hers seemed a bit dry and started to speak up for dressing. But she stopped herself knowing where that would lead and choked down the salad. Twilight saw her discomfort and changed the subject.
“So Princess Celestia, I’m curious to know how a knighting ceremony goes.”
“Oh it’s quite simple, Twilight.” Celestia answered. “All Shining Armor has to do is kneel before me as we recite the accolade for knighthood. Armor, I trust you’ve memorized the oath like we practiced?”
“Yes, Princess.” Shining Armor answered; his tone indicated that she had asked him multiple times.
“He was adorable;” said Cadence teasing him. “It took Armor forever to memorize the oath. One time he even wrote it on his hoof.”
Everypony giggled with Fluttershy snickering silently not letting her bass slip out. Shining Armor rolled his eyes embarrassed.
As they continued their banter, the salads were replaced with large plates of a strange appetizer. Stratocaster noticed Fluttershy’s confusion at the platter and spoke for her.
“Uh, Princess,” he said to Celestia. “Pardon me for asking, but what exactly is this?”
“It’s an older recipe that Luna knows.” Celestia answered.
Luna explained. “Tis a platter of spiced breads stuffed with only the finest herbs and aged cheeses from exotic locations outside Equestria. We assure it is the ideal appetizer for our guests.”
Curious, Fluttershy sampled one of the miniature stuffed breads from her platter. Her eyes bulged; it was one of the worst things she had ever placed on her taste buds. She discretely covered her mouth to suppress her utterance of disgust and looked up to see the others’ expressions. Twilight tried the bread and reacted the same way trying to wash the taste out with cider. Shining Armor turned his head and dropped his bread over his shoulder giving his in-laws the impression that he ate it whole. However, Luna was wolfing down the bitter appetizer, and Fluttershy was surprised to see Stratocaster doing the same.
“What? It’s not bad.” He said as she looked at him questioningly.
They carried on conversing despite Luna’s off tasting bread samples. Soon, the stewards brought them each a hoof bowl of water and a saucer of lemon sorbet to cleanse their palates. Fluttershy couldn’t have been more thankful for the icy taste cleaning treat. After cleansing, it was time for the entrees.
“I hope everypony will like this.” Celestia announced. “It’s an exotic confection: flower sushi, an authentic recipe from the ponies of the Far East.”
They all eyed the entrée with delight. On rectangular plates were assortments of flowers wrapped in seaweed and rice in colorful bundles. Fluttershy tried a pink one of the bundles and smiled as her mouth became alive with exotic flavor. Everypony seemed to enjoy the flower sushi as well, although Luna was a bit skeptical about cultural foods unfamiliar to her.
“This is delicious, Princess.” Twilight said.
“Yeah, it’s better than any restaurant I’ve been to.” Stratocaster added.
“Only the finest for our guests.” Celestia replied.
Fluttershy loved the flower sushi and couldn’t get enough. She noticed an odd mushy green glob on the side of her plate. Willing to try, she took a small chunk of the glob and ate another sushi roll with it. She perked a bit as the taste of the new substance tingled on her tongue; but it didn’t seem to stop. Immediately, the tingling sensation shot up through Fluttershy’s nasal passages and to her nose. She realized that her sinuses were now burning excessively. Thinking quickly, she tried to find something to quell the searing pain. She saw a side of red orangey sauce also on her plate and ate another roll with it, thinking the new taste would block out the searing. But it only made things worse. Now her tongue began burning from the sauce adding to the pain in her nose and the roof of her mouth. She chugged down her glass of water until it was empty, but it did nothing to douse the heat. Her legs trembled and her heart began pumping faster as the intense burning increased. Fluttershy covered her mouth trying to keep her pained voice hidden. She desperately wanted to yell out in agony but somehow managed to keep quiet control. Stratocaster turned noticing her face turning red.
“Are you okay?” he whispered.
Fluttershy nodded, and then shook her head. She knew she couldn’t ask for the bathroom, but she didn’t want to leave abruptly. She whispered back.
I think I forgot something in my room. I need you to help me out.
“Why? What did you forget?”
Please just get me out of here!
Not bothering to question, Stratocaster turned to Celestia.
“Princess, I hope you don’t mind, but Fluttershy and I have to, uh, fix something on our sheet music.”
Celestia looked confused. “Do you really need to go now?”
“Uh, yeah,” he said. “It’s important that we do it now before we forget. Yup.”
“Well if you say so.”
Fluttershy and Stratocaster both left the dining room without another word. With nopony else around to see, Fluttershy dashed down the hall toward the staircase.
“Fluttershy, where are you going?” called Stratocaster.
She didn’t respond and galloped up the stairs screaming with her mouth closed. Stratocaster chased after her not knowing what the trouble was. He saw Fluttershy speed down the corridor and into her room. She slammed the door and blurted out.
HOT! HOT! HOT! HOT! HOT!
She sounded to Stratocaster as if she had been repressing the urge to shout for a while.
“Wait! Fluttershy!” he yelled.
He entered her room to see her standing in her bathroom with her head in the sink gulping the running water. Concerned, he approached the doorway.
“What happened?” he asked.
Fluttershy turned off the faucet and hung her head panting. She paused then perked up suddenly and clenched her stomach. In an instant, she slammed the door closed on Stratocaster who then pressed his ear against it. He became surprised to hear the sound of Fluttershy vomiting in her bellowing tone. He cringed and decided to sit down on her bed to leave her in peace. After a good ten minutes, Stratocaster then walked back over hearing nothing but silence. He opened the bathroom door to see Fluttershy sitting on her haunches by the toilet hiding her face in her forelegs. He went over to sit beside and put his hoof over her shoulders. She raised her face a bit to reveal streams of tears.
I can't do this Strat. I just can't do this.