• Published 24th Jun 2022
  • 522 Views, 20 Comments

Phantom Krystal: An Unstable Ruby - Lifeblood_Wisp



A genetically altered hybrid finds himself thrusted into a new life. With his mother being Chrysalis herself, it’ll be hard for him to cope with the past.

  • ...
1
 20
 522

Strategic Altercation

Queen Chrysalis sat in a dark and moist cave, with the only source of light coming from her horn. Across from her, was Tirek. In between the two, was a chess board with various pieces of both black and white were scattered across the board. Chrysalis sat on the white side and the Tirek on the black side. Chrysalis was skeptical when her ex-partner invited her to chess match. She reluctantly agreed, although she had somewhat of and idea of what he really wanted from her. Nonetheless, she acted clueless.

"...Your turn." Tirek said flatly.

Chrysalis moved a pawn two spaces up. "How much of my time do you plan to waste here? I've got a whole hive to run. Your turn."

Tirek moved his pawn one space. "Correct me if I'm wrong 'your highness', but don't you have a spawn to keep things warm over there?"

Chrysalis then moved an adjacent pawn two spaces up. "What happens in my home is none of your business."

Tirek smiled, and captured a white pawn. "Don't you care that those ponies chose to have mercy on me, and not you?"

Chrysalis captured a black pawn with one of her own, and her stare became more blank and emotionless. "I fought, and I lost. I did more damage to them than anyone ever could. Your turn."

Tirek laughed a bit, and moved his knight, and captured Chrysalis' other white pawn. "Nevermind the fact that they beat us in our own game, but at least they let me go down with decency. Those primal apes were savage at you. They chained you up and tore you apart. Your turn."

Chrysalis moved her leftmost bishop to the very left of the board. "Look who's talking about dying with decency. Last time I checked, you were at Luna's mercy until I showed up to save you. Had I not intervened, you would have ended up rotting in Tartarus."

Tirek kept the smug grin on his face. He moved a pawn upward. "And you would've met the same fate had Discord not saved us both. Chrysalis, my point here is that you can't use a pony to fight ponies, even if he does have changeling blood.

Chrysalis moved her queen diagonally to the very right of the board. "Even then, he loves me, and I love him. He's too young to understand his purpose."

Tirek moved a middle pawn upward two spaces. "But how long before they tell him the truth? How long before your 'child' turns on you? How long before he leaves you?"

Chrysalis held back the urge to attack him right then and there, but instead moved her queen to capture a pawn. "Notice that I'm not contained by your displeasureful speech."

Tirek moved a knight next to his pawn. "And yet you retort with vigor. I can tell you're not being completely honest with me, nor yourself."

Chrysalis moved her second bishop in an attempt to attack Tirek's knight. "And what truth would I have to hide?"

Tirek moved his second knight outward. "That you'll eventually regret putting that glowing rock inside him."

Chrysalis moved her knight diagonally left, and captured Tirek's pawn. "He was given that power for a reason. He needs to be able to defend himself."

Tirek moved his queen and captured both a pawn, and a bishop. "So you don't have faith in him? Very motherly of you, Chrysalis.

Chrysalis was reaching her melting point. throughout the game, her expression had become much more angrier by the second. She knew deep in her heart that she only wanted the best for Arachnis, but she also knew that people would come for him because of what he had. After several more moves in silence, she finally gave in to her impulsive urges. "Drop the act you piece of shit! What are you doing!? What is it you want from me!?" She yelled. Her feral voice echoed across the cave's walls, and her anger levels lowered when she heard her own voice. Tirek gave a blank expression to Chrysalis.

"Checkmate."

"But you didn't..."

Chrysalis looked down, and saw that her king was surrounded by a bishop and a queen. It was rare for her to lose, as she was the more level-headed of the two, but in chess of all games was a very rare sight. It didn't take long for her to see what had happened, as it went on the entire game. Tirek's words had basically costed her the match. Tirek seemed to see Chrysalis' realization, and laughed in response. "I went into the game expecting to lose, but I guess I was right." He said. "About what?" Chrysalis asked. "About you not being able to think straight when you're ticked off. You lost your cool, and it costed you." He said in response. "Well, it was nice talking with you, Chrysalis, but it's about time I left here. I have slaves waiting to be punished for no good reason." Tirek said as he exited the cave. With his presence no longer there, Chrysalis spoke the words that admitted her defeat, "...Good Game."

Author's Note:

For any chess players out there, sorry if some of the moves that Chrysalis or Tirek made didn't make sense. I'm no chess player, and I have minimal knowledge on the rules or strategies that are employed in such a game. I tried my best 😅