• Published 16th Sep 2012
  • 3,960 Views, 233 Comments

The Element of Hate - Shadow Bolt



Twilight tries to prove to a stallion that the power of friendship is more powerful than hate.....but is it?

  • ...
144
 233
 3,960

The Moon is Wonderful This Time of Year

"He who angers you conquers you." ― Elizabeth Kenny

"Sometimes Hate and Anger can be your worst enemy." ― FoxfanMLP22

"Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate.. to suffering" ― Master Yoda


Chapter 11: The Moon is Wonderful This Time of Year

When Shadow Bolt first met Princess Celestia earlier, he felt small, weak, and afraid. Being in the presence of the ruler of Equestria made him cower from her untold power, but now that was no longer the case. Under the influence from the Element of Hate he felt big, strong, and powerful. As he and she were staring at each other intensely, in that moment he felt as powerful if not more than Princess Celestia herself. If it came down to a fight, he believed that he could take her and defeat the most powerful being in Equestria. And he could feel from the power of his element, that he really could do that. Although he still was having trouble breathing, the element was still taking longer in healing his punctured lung.

Princess Celestia didn’t hide her anger from Shadow Bolt. Thinking about the damage he’s done since he arrived made her infuriated. And now seeing the state of the bearers of harmony, only made her anger boil more. What sent her over the top was seeing her beloved student beaten up. The scratches and bruises on her body, her inability to stand up, and the way she was trembling from having Shadow Bolt standing in front of her was the last straw.

“You’ve come here, bringing destruction with you. You almost destroyed Canterlot, attack my castle, defeated my guards brutally, and beaten my beloved student and her friends.”

Shadow didn’t seem to mind what the Princess said. In his mind, Celestia was listing down his accomplishments rather than crimes.

“Just one these are grounds of treason,” she continued, “and should be met with the harshest punishment.”

Shadow simply smirked at her failed attempt of intimidating him. She can’t touch me. I’m more powerful than her. He started walking towards the Princess while the red aura was covering his body.

“Stop!” she said.

But he ignored her and continued walking.

“I SAID STOP!” she shouted.

Again he ignored her.

“I COMMAND YOU TO STOP!” she shouted.

Shadow simply gave her a smirk and said, “Make me.

Celestia’s horn started glowing as she prepared her attack. A energy ball around the size of a volley ball was forming at the tip of her horn and then she fired the energy ball at him. Shadow didn’t show any reaction as the ball was closing in. Just as it was about to hit him, he slowly raised his hoof in preparation and then he swatted the ball away from him, it continued on it's new path until it hit a wall and exploded on impact. Everpony eyes we’re wide opened at what they witnessed. Even Princess Celestia couldn’t believe her eyes. That’s impossible! He just swatted my attack like it was a common house fly. The princess quickly recovered as she fired another ball, this time it was slightly bigger and more powerful. This time Shadow used his hoof and punched the ball. The explosion caused smoke to appear and covered the spot of detonation. Everypony waited for the smoke to clear, but didn’t have to wait long as they started hearing hoofsteps coming from the smoke. Shadow walked out of the smoke completely unharmed. Princess Celestia was getting furious and slightly frightened. She charged her horn and shot multiple energy balls at Shadow Bolt as he was continued walking.

Shadow used his hoof as he swatted the energy balls out of his way. He also used his element and fired energy beams at the energy balls, causing them to explode. This is nothing, if this is the best she’s got then she doesn’t stand a chance. Princess Celestia was starting to feel the strain of constantly firing her magic at Shadow. She charged her horn and made an energy ball that grew until it was the same size as the one she used to destroy Shadow’s storm cloud and fired.

Shadow could see that the ball would be too big for him to swat it away. He also knew that if he fired his own energy beam at it, the explosion would be too close that it might actually hurt him. I've got to get rid of this he waited for the ball to get closer to him. I have to time this just right as he prepared for the right moment. The ball was getting closer and closer, he waited and watched until it was time. As soon as the ball was inches from touching him he used his wing and smacked the energy ball up in the air. The ball went through a hole in the ceiling and flew into the sky. Once the ball was high, it detonated. The blast was so bright that everypony had to close their eyes to shield them from its brightness.

Princess Celestia couldn’t believe what she witnessed. Nopony could do that and live. Princess Celestia looked back down at Shadow who didn’t seem to be affected by his actions.

Shadow looked at his wing and noticed that he didn’t escape unharmed. Most of his feathers were burned off from contact of the Princess’s attack. The element was already healing his wing as he watched new feathers growing in place. As always, the process was painful for him as he winced from the burning irritation coming from his wings.

If I didn’t smack that ball into the sky, this whole castle would have blown up. What kind of crazy princess would resort to that? Wait a minute… Then Shadow remembered the attack from earlier, he remembered a big ball of energy in the sky. It looked just like the one that took….my home. Shadow finally connected the dots IT WAS HER! SHE’S THE ONE WHO DESTROYED MY HOME! Shadow was getting furious as he stared at the one responsible. My home was all I had and now it’s gone!

“You’re going to pay for what you’ve done,” he said as he started walking towards her. “You took the only thing I’ve ever had! You destroyed my home!”

Princess Celestia knew what he was talking about as she stood her ground, “You left me with no choice,” As she was talking, Celestia’s horn was glowing. I have no other choice She kept talking to distract Shadow Bolt, who was too furious to notice what Princess Celestia was about to do, “and I will do whatever it takes to defend my subjects.”

She won’t get away with this Shadow kept walking towards her, he was too distracted to noticed the Princess’s horn was glowing.

“You can’t stop me. I have bested your guards and defeated your six heroes,” he turned to see the six mares lying on the floor. Twilight was the only one watching him and the Princess as the others were still knocked out. Although he could see them stirring, so it would only be a matter of time before they too wake up. “Even you don’t have the power to stop me. Whatever you’ve thrown at me I have taken it without breaking a sweat. There’s nothing you can do.”

“Yes there is,” she said as she was still charging her horn, she continued to speak for more time, “you underestimate my power. I haven’t ruled and protected Equestria for over a thousand years just because of my looks. I have more power than any other being in this entire world. There is nothing more powerful than me, especially not some weak pegasus wearing a little trinket.”

“Your bluffs won’t work on me,” he said as stop a few feet in front of her. “You and I both know that you’re just trying to scare me into surrendering and beg for mercy. But I can see it in your eyes, you’re afraid. Afraid of my power, you’re afraid of me. So I’ll only say this once, stay out of this and I’ll let you continue your charade of being the most powerful being in Equestria.”

Almost done “No it is you who should be surrendering. I’ll only ask this once, stand down or I will use all my power in stopping you here and now.”

“Your empty threats don’t work on me, Princess. You don’t have the guts.”

“Don’t challenge me, Shadow Bolt.” She walked up to him and stopped when their faces where inches away from each other. “I could bring you down with a single word.”

“You might be the Princess, but I don’t think you’re quite capable of that.

“No, you’re right. Not a single word,” Just a little more “Just four.”

“I don’t think so.”

“Four words.”

“Stop it!”

“Four.”

“Say it then.”

She raised her head while she was still staring at him and walked back a few feet. She then let out a sigh and said,

“Do you like bananas?”

Huh? That was all Shadow could think after hearing what Princess Celestia asked him. What kind of a stupid question is that? The question was so unexpected that Shadow Bolt had lowered his guard as he tried to figure out why the Princess said that.

Princess Celestia could see the dumbfounded look on his face as he tried to process what just happened. The red aura covering Shadow Bolt vanished from him being caught off guard. This was what she’d been waiting for. In the back of her mind was just one word. Gotcha She gave him a smirked and caste her spell.

Shadow started feeling weird. Something’s wrong he looked down and noticed that he was floating off the ground without the use of his wings. He felt a gush of wind circling around him and saw his body was glowing white. He looked at Princess Celestia who was smirking at him and he noticed that her horn was glowing bright. It’s her! She’s doing this She was just distracting me this whole time. He saw his body glowing brighter and brighter. By now all, the rest of Twilights friends had woken up and all six of them stared at him not knowing what was happening to him. He tried to tap into his power but it was taking too much time. He looked at her with hatred all over his face and shouted, “OH! YOU BIT-” and suddenly he vanished in ball of light.

Twilight was shocked at what she just witnessed her teacher did what they couldn’t. She did it. She stopped him, it’s finally over. Twilight was so deep in her thoughts that she didn’t notice that Princess Celestia was standing in front of her until she cleared her throat.

“Are you alright, Twilight?”

Twilight shook her head as she snapped out of it, “Yes Princess, I’m alright.”

“Can you and your friends stand up?” she asked.

“I think so,” Twilight slowly got up, as did the rest of her friends. They all still felt weak and tired after their ordeal.

Fluttershy spoke up, “I-Is it o-o-over?”

“Yes, it’s over,” she said with a comforting smile.

“Woo-wee,” said Applejack, “It’s finally over.”

“Aw yeah!” shouted Rainbow Dash, “We did it, he’s finally gone for good.”

“I’m so exhausted,” sighed Rarity, “I’m going to need a week of relaxation at the spa to unwind after this whole ordeal.”

“I can’t believe my eyes,” said Pinkie Pie, “one second he was there, then he was all floaty and glowy, and then poof, he was gone.”

“W-What happened to him?” asked Fluttershy.

“I did what had to be done,” she said in a calm tone.

“Princess? Did you…” Twilight couldn’t finish her sentence thinking about what she thought what Princess Celestia did to Shadow.

Princess Celestia saw the look on her students face and figured out what she was going to ask her, “No I didn’t, Twilight. He's still alive.”

Twilight let out a whoosh of air that she had been holding. She looked at her mentor and asked, “If you didn’t kill him, then what did you do to him?”

“I simply put him somewhere where he couldn’t do any harm to anypony again.”

“Where?” she asked.

Instead of answering her, Princess Celestia simply looked up to the sky through one of the many holes in the ceiling.

Twilight also looked up trying to see what Celestia was looking at but saw nothing. After spending a few moments of thinking, Twilight figured it out.

“You sent him there?”

The Princess nodded her head, “Yes, I did.”

“Sent him where?” asked Rainbow Dash.

“Yes, darling, where did the Princess send him? I’m curious as well,” said Rarity.

Twilight turned her head to face her friends and said, “She sent him to the moon.”

Everyponies eyes bugged out from Twilights answer and they also looked up to the sky.

“What a minute,” said Rainbow Dash, “I thought the Princess needed the Elements of Harmony to send anypony to the moon. So how did she send him there without them?”

“It is true that I used the power of the elements to send my sister to the moon a thousand years ago. Since then I was able to learn the spell myself without needing the elements power. Unfortunately the spell is a one way trip.”

“You mean,” started Twilight, “he’s stuck up there forever?”

“I’m afraid so.”

Everypony let out a big gulp. Thoughts of what would it be like if it happened to them. Their thoughts were interrupted when a piece of the ceiling fell to the ground. The sound snapped them out of it.

“I guess now that the threat is over, now’s the time to clean up and repair the castle as well as the city too,” said the Princess as she looked at all the damage around them.

“We’ll help clean up the castle,” said Twilight.

“I agree,” said Rarity, “A princess cannot live in a place so messy.”

“I guess it’s the least we can do after you saved us Princess,” said Applejack.

“YAY, CLEANING PARTY!” shouted Pinkie Pie.

“I guess we better get started,” said Rainbow Dash as she rolled up imaginary sleeves on her hooves. “Hey Applejack, I bet I can clean up more than you can.”

“You’re on,” she said as they both got started with their competition.

“Thank you very much my little ponies,” said Princess Celestia. “You know you all don’t have to anything, you’ve been through enough already.”

“We’re happy to do this for you Princess,” said Twilight, “You don’t have to thank us, it will be an honor helping you out.”

“Your too kind, Twilight. How about you assist me while you tell me about everything that happened from the beginning?”

Twilight smiled widely. She always loved being by her mentor side for anything and would jump at the opportunity to spend some personal time with the princess.

“Of course, Princess Celestia. It will be my pleasure,” Twilight started gathering pieces of debris with her magic as she started telling her about what happened earlier today. “You see, Princess, it started this morning when I was walking to Fluttershy’s cottage……..”

A flash of light appeared and then Shadow Bolt appeared from it. His eyes were shut from the brightness of the light. She’ll pay for that. Once the light disappeared, Shadow slowly opened his eyes and noticed his surroundings.

“Where am I?”

He looked around and saw a white barren wasteland.

“What is this place? Where’s the castle?”

He looked around and saw the wasteland continued for what seemed like miles and miles wherever he looked. He saw a few mountains and some craters, but no signs of plant life or any kind of life itself.

“Is this the Badlands?” he wondered. He heard about the Badlands from his travels. An almost endless desert with no signs of civilization in sight.

He then noticed that the sky was no longer sunny, but that it was night.

“How long was I gone?”

He looked around the sky and saw something that made his blood run cold. He saw the planet Earth in the sky instead of the moon.

“What is going on?!” he shouted. He looked around trying to find answers but found nothing but the wasteland that seemed to be made out of white rocks.

Wait a minute he begun to look carefully around his surroundings and the answer to his question became clear.

“I’m on the Moon!”

How did I get here? What’s going happen? What am I gonna do? Where am I going to find food? All these thoughts were running wild in his head that he couldn’t control them. He let out a few deep breaths to calm himself down. I’m on the Moon. Wait…. I’m….. on…… the …..Moon! Realizing the obvious, he stopped breathing out and instead took a deep breath and held it. He held his breath for awhile, but to him it felt like hours. He tried to hold, but the strain was taking its toll. In the end, he lost the battle and let out a big burst of air. After waiting some time for him to start suffocating, Shadow noticed that he was still alive and breathing. I guess there is oxygen on the moon after all. He started breathing normal after realizing that he wasn’t going to suffocate.

He once again looked out to the wasteland known as the moon and called out, “Hello, is anypony out there?” He noticed from shouting that his voice sounded different from before. His voiced sounded all muffled, but he kept calling out to whoever could be out there. “HELLO, CAN ANYPONY HEAR ME?”

Silence.

“Anypony there?”

Silence again.

He started running, “Is somepony there? Hello?” he kept running try to find anything that wasn’t just craters and rocks. But no matter how far he ran or how loud he shouted, there was nothing but the wasteland.

Feeling tired from running, Shadow sat down and rested for a bit. “Please, is anypony out there?”

But once again there was no reply. It was then Shadow noticed how cold and quiet it was. No wind, no sounds coming from his hooves when he ran. It was eerie on how truly quiet it was on the moon. It was almost as if silence had fallen all over the moon. The lack of noise showed Shadow how truly alone he was.

“It’s just me, I’m all alone on the moon.” He felt a shiver run up his spine from his statement. After some time sitting there, Shadow anger rose up. How dare she do this to me! Shadow got up as he felt his power returning. If she thinks that she can get away from this, she’s got another thing coming. I AM NOT STAYING HERE! He took flight as he flew in the direction of Earth.

“When I get back, I’ll make her pay for this and she will regret doing this to m-” his sentence ran short when Shadow felt like he collided with something with his head. He rubbed his forehead as he tried to figure out what happened. He looked around but found nothing that could be responsible for his headache. Shaking away the pain,

Shadow continued to fly to earth when his head hit something again, “Ow! Just what is going on here?”

Shadow raised his hoof and felt something solid in front of him, but saw nothing there. He tapped his hoof on the invisible spot a few times, and then he started hitting it. After a few failed attempts, Shadow’s used his power that was feeding off his hatred. With one powerful punch, Shadow struck the spot. The impact was so strong that something appeared in front of his eyes. He saw a force field that covered the whole moon in a gold aura.

“This is not going to stop me!” he started punching harder at the force field trying to break it. He tried blasting with his element but to no avail. With the lack of distance, Shadow couldn’t build up any momentum to try to break the force field like last time. Each attack that failed made him desperate nonononononononononoNONONONONONONO! He was getting so desperate about escaping he started using his own body to tackle the barrier in attempts to break it. “Bring me back,” he said as he continued pounding the barrier, “Bring me back, Bring me back, Bring me back, Bring me back, BRING ME BACK, BRING ME BACK, BRING ME BACK!” his eyes started tearing up from the thought of never returning. Until finally the strain of his body from his failed attempts was too much that he fell back to the moon’s surface. He looked at the planet that was his home, "PLEASE…. BRING ME BACK!” he shouted but the only response from his cry was silence.


After a few hours, the gang had finally finished cleaning the Princess’s throne room. While they were cleaning the throne room, all of the house cleaners were cleaning the damage from the rest of the castle. Celestia had instructed all the remaining guards to go to Canterlot and assist the civilians in damage control.

While they were cleaning, Twilight told the Princess her tale, how she met Shadow Bolt, introducing him to her friends, the stories about his past, the appearance of the Element of Hate, and finally their first fight that led him on his mission to Canterlot to destroy the elements.

“It seems all of you have been through so much today, but at least it’s finally over,” said the Princess.

Twilight noticed that after finishing her story, she saw that it was now night. She looked out through the window and stared at the moon.

“What’s wrong, Twilight?” asked Princess Celestia as she saw the sad look on her students face.

“I failed,” she said without turning away, “I feel like it’s all my fault that this all happened. This wouldn’t have happened if I just left him alone like he wanted. But I was too stubborn in proving him wrong that I almost got Canterlot destroyed.”

The Princess wrapped her wing around Twilight to comfort her, “It’s not your fault, Twilight. You did what you thought was right.”

“But I failed, Princess. I tried to show him the magic of friendship, and because of me, he is now trapped up there forever. Maybe I’m not good enough for this after all.”

“Twilight, you did everything you possibly could. Nopony could ask for more than what you can do. Just because you couldn’t show him the way, doesn’t make you a failure. You have to accept that you can’t save everypony. There some that they are too far gone for friendship to save them. He was one of those ponies.”

“It bothers me, Princess. It’s hard to believe that all those horrible things that somepony like him had to go through with life. I wouldn’t know what to do if that had happened to me. It makes me sad to think what would make ponies do something so mean to someone who didn’t deserve it.”

“It’s hard for me to believe that too, Twilight. Equestria has been known to be a land of peace and harmony. To hear such things like this is happening throughout the land makes me sad, knowing that I can’t do anything to stop it. But we have to accept that’s the way things are and we must do our best to help those who need it.”

Twilight let out a sigh, “Your right, Princess. It’s up to us to show everypony that we must treat others better and hope it all works out for everypony in the end.” Twilight nuzzled up to her mentor before leaving her embrace, “Thank you, Princess.”

“No need to thank me, Twilight. I’m happy to help you and if you need me, you only need to ask.”

“I will Princess,” Twilight started walking towards her friends. She took one last look at the moon. I’m sorry, Shadow. At least nopony will bother you ever again. She saw what seemed like a twinkle coming from the moon. Twilight turned away and walked up to her friends.

“I said that I finished first,” said Rainbow Dash.

“And ah said it was me,” said Applejack.

“You tied,” said Pinkie Pie.

“TIED!” shouted both of them.

“Yup, I watched really carefully.”

“We tied,” said Rainbow Dash glumly, “so what now?”

“Well I don’t know about you two, but I just want to go home and take a nice long warm bath,” said Rarity.

“I have to go back and feed the animals,” said Fluttershy, “Angel gets awfully cranky when he doesn’t get his dinner on time.”

“Is everypony ready to leave?” asked Twilight.

Everyone nodded, “Okay, let’s go home.”

As they were walking to the doors of the throne room, Pinkie Pie stopped and shouted, “OOH! OOH! TWITCHY TAIL!

Everypony stopped in their track and turned to Pinkie Pie, “Twitch-a-twitch! Twitch-a-twitch!” and sure enough Pinkie Pie’s tail was twitching, which meant only one thing.

“Hit the deck!” shouted Rainbow Dash. Everypony huddle up together and kept their eyes out for anything to fall on top of them.

Princess Celestia was confused as to what she was seeing. She saw how everyone was acting and walked up to them, “What is going on?” she asked.

“Princess, watch out,” said Twilight, “it’s Pinkie Pie. Her Pinkie Sense is acting up.”

“Pinkie Sense?”

“Yes, it’s some ability that Pinkie Pie has. Right now her Pinkie Sense is saying that something is going to fall.”

Everypony stood still and waited for whatever was going to fall, “It’s most likely it’s a piece of the ceiling that’s going to fall,” said Twilight. They waited and waited, but nothing from the ceiling fell. Pinkies tail was still twitching which meant something was still going to fall.

All of a sudden Rairty said, “Do you hear something?”

“Like what?” asked Applejack.

“It sounds like a whistling noise.”

Everyone listened for the noise, “Yeah, I hear it too,” said Rainbow Dash.

“Where’s it coming from?” said Twilight.

“It sounds like its coming from above,” replied Pinkie Pie.

“WATCH OUT!” shouted Fluttershy as she was pointing to the sky. Everypony looked up and saw what looked like a ball of fire coming down from the sky and heading right towards them.

“It’s an asteroid,” said Twilight in amazement since she’s never seen an asteroid before.

“Leave this to me,” said Princess Celestia as she charged her horn and blasted the asteroid. But to her surprise, the fireball didn’t blow up and was still heading towards them. Princess Celestia used more power in her beam to stop the asteroid, but the only affect the beam had was slowing it down a little. Princess Celestia was still tired from using too much magic earlier that she couldn’t keep the beam going.

“I can’t stop it,” said the Princess. She stopped the beam and immediately all seven of them got out of the way from the fireballs path. The fireball crashed through one of the holes in the ceiling, making it bigger in the process, and finally crashed into the ground. The blast caused a gush of wind and dust that covered the room. Everypony was blinded and coughing from the dust. Princess Celestia used her wings and flapped the dust away.

Once the dust had settled, everypony looked to see a big crater where the asteroid hit. Before they could walk up to the crash site, something was rising from the crater. None of them could believe what they were seeing. From out of the crater was some kind of creature. It had the form of a pony, it had wings likes a pegasus, but the creature looked like it was made out of fire. The fiery red creature looked at the seven mares for a few seconds and then let out a vicious roar that seemed to shake the very castle itself.

Twilight then noticed something glowing on the creature’s chest, “Look at that,” she pointed. All eyes were on the source of the glow, what they saw looked like a black necklace. Their eyes widened and their jaws were wide open when they saw the red lightning bolt gem glowing in the center of the necklace.

“It couldn’t be, but that’s impossible,” said Twilight in a hushed tone. She couldn’t believe it, but sure enough it was true. Hovering in front of them was none other than the stallion Shadow Bolt.

Everypony was left speechless, the only thing that came out of anyponys mouth was Princess Celestia, who only said three words,

“Mother of me!”

"RRRWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRR"

Author's Note:

Well thanks to the outside help of Princess Celestia, Round II goes to the Elements of Harmony.

But before they can celebrate, Shadow Bolt has returned for some payback. The final round(s) is about to begin and it's going to be BRUTAL! So stay tuned for the epic climax of the story.

I would like to thank FoxfanMLP22 for providing the music and quote(that he said he made up.)

This form needs a name, and I'm asking you my fellow readers to help come up with a name. It needs to be an actual name, so nothing like hate mode or fire stage.

Leave your comments below.