• Published 16th Sep 2012
  • 3,949 Views, 233 Comments

The Element of Hate - Shadow Bolt



Twilight tries to prove to a stallion that the power of friendship is more powerful than hate.....but is it?

  • ...
144
 233
 3,949

Something Hateful This Way Comes

"There's a storm coming." ― Sarah Conner

“It is when you are angry that you must watch how you talk.” ― Chaim Potok

"Events will take their course, it is no good of being angry at them." ― Euripides


Chapter 1: Something Hateful This Way Comes

Twilight Sparkle was trotting through Ponyville, enjoying the fresh air on a bright sunny morning. After a long night of studying Twilight decided to take a break from reading to see what her friends were up to. Earlier she had already visited Rarity to see if she wanted to hang out, but she was too busy with a big order that she regrettably declined. She then went to see her good friend Pinkie Pie who was also too busy because she was helping out with the Cakes for a party.

“I’m sooo very sorry, Twilight,” she said. “I really want to hang out, but the Cakes are a little behind because the babies were keeping them up all night so they’re a little exhausted. That’s why I’m helping them out by making some delicious sweets for the party the Cakes are going to."

Twilight was feeling a little sad from hearing this, but Pinkie said, “Come by later today and we’ll have such a fun time.”

So now Twilight is walking around thinking of what to do next, Rarity and Pinkie Pie were both too busy to hang out. I guess it can’t always be as slow at their jobs as it is at the library. She then thinks about whom she should see next.

Knowing the time, Applejack would be hard at work on the farm so I doubt she’ll be available and nopony has seen Rainbow Dash so most likely she is probably taking a nap somewhere in the clouds like she always does.

Running down the names on her mental list there was only one pony left that she hasn’t tried yet Fluttershy. Now with a destination in mind Twilight hurried to Fluttershy’s cottage near the edge of the Everfree Forest to see her kind friend and see how’s she’s been.


Upon arriving at Fluttershy’s cottage she noticed that none of Fluttershy's animal friends were seen.

“That’s weird, usually whenever I come by to see Fluttershy, her animals are always around.” As Twilight looks around she noticed that she couldn’t see one animal, she also noticed how quiet it was. There were no birds singing, no squirrels running through the trees, no bunnies hopping around, no chickens pecking, it was as if there was not one living thing around. Feeling cautious Twilight walked up to Fluttershy’s door wondering if maybe she knew what was going on with the animals. Upon knocking the door Twilight heard a quiet shriek from the inside of the cottage. She knocked again this time she called out to her friend.

“Fluttershy, it's me, Twilight,” she said. Then she waited for a reply which only took a few seconds.

“Twilight….. Is it really you?” Her voice was so quiet that Twilight could only hear her with her ear pressed on the door.

“Yes it’s me Fluttershy, why don’t you open the door so we can talk.”

Upon hearing her response, Fluttershy opened the door to greet her friend. Once the door was open, Twilight walked into the cottage and closed the door behind her. Twilight looked at Fluttershy and noticed that she was shaking. "Fluttershy are you alright? You seem to be shaking quite a lot.”

“Oh…. I’m fine really, nothing to be worry about.” Her shaking was slowly going away.

“Are you sure? Is there is anything I can do to help?”

“Oh yes, I am perfectly fine, no need to be concern,” she replied with a kind smile.

Twilight decided not to pursue further now that it seems that whatever was going on with Fluttershy is gone for the moment. She then asked her another question, “I noticed when I got to your house that none of your animal friends were around and I was wondering if you knew what was going on with that?”

Fluttershy’s smile faded and she gave the concerned unicorn a sad look before responding, “They're gone now, but they’ll be back………. eventually.”

“Why did they leave? I thought they were happy here, did they all move away? ”

Fluttershy shook her head, “Oh no no no, they didn’t move away at all. They’re really happy living here, it’s just... now they're just scared and that’s why they all left but they’ll come back in time.”

Twilight now curious said, “What do you mean scared? What scared them away?”

“Because of the-”

Before she had time to finish her sentence a loud BOOM that sounded like thunder came out of nowhere and caught the two mares off guard. Fluttershy gave out a loud scream and hid under a table shaking just as she was when Twilight first saw her. The boom only lasted a few seconds before fading out, Twilight walked over to the table where Fluttershy was cowering, patted her head, and gave her a look that was saying don’t worry everything is going to be alright.

Once Fluttershy was feeling fine she crawled out from under the table and said to Twilight with a smile, “Thank you Twilight, I’m feeling a lot better now.”

Twilight now feeling happy that she was able to cheer up her friend. “It was nothing, I’m guessing your animal friends ran away because of that loud boom, am I right?”

Fluttershy simply looked down and nodded.

“I’m also guessing that the loud boom was the reason why you were shaking when I got here too?”

Again Fluttershy gave a simple nod and then replied in a soft voice, “I’m afraid of thunder.”

Twilight gave out a sigh knowing that practically anything scares Fluttershy, but she’d be lying if she said that the sound of thunder doesn’t scare her every once in a while. Upon realizing the thought Twilight gave a puzzled look and said, “That’s weird I could have sworn that I didn’t see any thunder clouds when I walked over here.”

To confirm her suspicions she looked out the window and saw nothing but blue skies. To get a better look Twilight went outside to see where in the sky the sound could be coming from, upon looking at the sky all around her Twilight saw that not one cloud was seen. Now confused Twilight couldn’t understand what was going on, she was lost in thought that she didn’t noticed that Fluttershy was standing next to her until she spoke.

“The thunder isn’t coming from here, it’s coming from there,” her hoof pointing to the Everfree Forest.

Twilight looked above the Everfree Forest to see the source of the loud boom, but because Fluttershy’s cottage was too close to the forest and Twilight was at ground level she couldn’t see much. Disappointed Twilight groaned and said, “I can’t see anything from here. I wish I could see from a higher angle.”

Fluttershy hearing Twilights request responded, “Um... I know I’m not that strong, but if you want I could fly you up there so you can get a better look? If you don’t want to that’s fine.”

Hearing her response Twilight said, “Fluttershy you’re a genius, let’s do it.” Fluttershy flew above Twilight; she then grabbed her by the waist and said, “Hold on,” followed by grunt.

As Fluttershy started flapping her wings harder the two ponies were lifted off the ground. Finally we're getting somewhere as the two ponies were getting higher and higher from the ground. Twilight then noticed how slow they were going and she also saw how hard Fluttershy’s wings were flapping and the look on her face was showing exhaustion. Twilight then made a mental note for herself to read later, the note said: After this is all over I’m going on a diet. Eventually the two ponies were finally high enough to get a better view of the Everfree Forest, that was when Twilight saw what the cause of the loud boom was. The source was coming from a big storm cloud hovering above a clearing deep in the Everfree Forest. As if to confirm her mental statement a lightning bolt struck from the cloud followed by a loud boom. The sound startled Fluttershy, which caused her to stop flapping her wings and soon the two ponies started falling back towards earth.

About halfway down Fluttershy realized what had happened and started flapping her wings harder than ever before. Eventually they started falling slower and slower until they safely landed back on the ground. Afterwards Fluttershy continuously apologized for what happened, Twilight forgave her thanking Celestia that no one got hurt. Now that the source of the thunder had been found Twilights next step is to investigate this storm cloud to get more information about it.

“Stay here I’ll be right back.” said Twilight to Fluttershy “I’ll come back as soon as I find out more about this mysterious cloud.”

Fluttershy gave out a simple “okay” before Twilight headed into the Everfree Forest.


The Everfree Forest is a mysterious place filled with danger around every corner. Nopony ever goes there because of the numerous strange creatures that lived there, the only reason Twilight ever goes was to visit her friend Zecora who lives in the forest. As Twilight kept walking deeper and deeper to the forest she lost track of time, since because the trees block out the sun there was no way to tell how much time has passed. What might have been hours could only have been a few minutes. Twilight knew she was getting closer because the sound of thunder was getting louder and louder, she kept walking until finally she reached the clearing to which she looked up and now got a better look at the mysterious cloud.

It was a lot bigger than it was when she saw it from the edge of the Everfree Forest, she also noticed that the cloud hadn’t moved from its spot since it was still over the clearing. Unlike the clouds in Ponyville the clouds of the Everfree Forest didn’t need a pegasus to move around since they can move on their own which was not natural at all. Upon looking more into the detail of the cloud Twilight realized something, This isn’t just a cloud, it’s a house!

Sure enough with careful examination Twilight was positive that the mysterious cloud was really a house. Just like how Rainbow Dash's home is made of white clouds this house seems to be made of storm clouds. With that statement Twilight concluded that whoever lives in that house must be a pegasus. Twilight called out to whoever was up there hoping to have a talk with whomever lived there.

“Hello, is anypony up there?” she waited for a response but after a while no one answered. She called out again this time with a louder voice. “Anypony there?” again no answer, she tried again even louder than before, “I’m sorry to disturb you but I was hoping if you can maybe come down here so I can have a nice friendly chat with you.”

Once again no answer, Twilight was starting to wonder that maybe there was nopony home and was thinking of giving up. If only I could get up there just to make sure that no one’s home. She did remember that there was a spell that can get non flying ponies the ability to walk on clouds and with her teleportation spell she would be able to get up there too. Twilight thought that was a wonderful idea, unfortunately she couldn’t remember the spell at the moment which frustrated her even more to the point she shouted, “HEY YOU, I’M TALKING TO YOU. GET DOWN HERE RIGHT NOW, I WILL NOT BE IGNORED!” As soon as she said that Twilight covered her mouth embarrassed that she lost her temper which seemed totally out of character and shouted at whoever was in that house. What seemed like minutes in Twilights mind which was only seconds she waited to see what was going to happen next. When nothing happened she sighed deeply thanking Celestia that whoever was living at that house was not home.

Twilight decided to call it a day and that she will try again another day, still embarrassed about losing her temper Twilight turned around and started walking back the way she came. The thought of her not being able to continue her investigation and that she would have to return again, caused her temper to return. She stopped and yelled at the house knowing that no one was home, “I’LL BE BACK, THANKS FOR NOTHING….. JERK!” After letting out her anger, Twilight was feeling better and continued walking.

She only took a few steps before a lightning bolt struck just a few feet in front her which caused to Twilight to jump back, she jumped again when the thunder struck as well. Twilight was now shaking as much as Fluttershy was earlier, before Twilight could think about what was happening a loud angry voice from behind her shouted, “WHAT DID YOU CALL ME?!” Twilight now started shaking ever harder after she realized that somepony was home, as she turned around and looked up to the source of the voice. When she looked up all she saw was a pony’s head poking out from the cloud house, upon meeting eye contact with the head, the pony jump down from the house and landed on the ground hard a few feet in front her that caused her to take a few steps back. Twilight was now looking at a red pegasus with red eyes and had an angry face. The storm cloud house continued shooting lightning above them followed by the sounds of thunder, the red pegasus started walking towards Twilight with his hooves stomping the ground at the same time as the thunder from above. He stop a few feet from Twilight and, “WELL I’M RIGHT HERE, SO WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT DO YOU WANT?!