• Published 16th Sep 2012
  • 3,965 Views, 233 Comments

The Element of Hate - Shadow Bolt



Twilight tries to prove to a stallion that the power of friendship is more powerful than hate.....but is it?

  • ...
144
 233
 3,965

The Magic of Hatred

“To truly hate is an art one learns with time.” - Carlos Ruiz Zafón

"Anger is a wind which blows out the lamp of the mind." - Robert Green Ingersoll

“Most hatred is based on fear, one way or another. Yeah. I wrapped myself in anger, with a dash of hate, and at the bottom of it all was an icy center of pure terror.” - Laurell K. Hamilton


Chapter 8: The Magic of Hatred

“RAINBOW DASH!” Twilight ran towards her unconscious friend. She looked at her, she had a few scratches on her body.

“Rainbow Dash, are you okay?” no response.

“Speak to me.”

When Rainbow didn’t respond Twilight thought the worse. She checked her heart to hear that it was still beating, she also saw her chest heaving slowly showing that she was breathing.

Thank Celestia, she’s alright. She’s just knocked out. Twilight's worries were put at ease. She then put her attention from her friend to the stallion that walked up behind her.

“Well that was therapeutic, I feel better already.”


She turned to him with a face of confusion and anger. “JUST WHAT THE HAY IS YOUR PROBLEM? YOU JUST TRIED TO KILL RAINBOW DASH!”

“I wasn’t trying to kill her, to be honest I have no idea how that happened.” The fiery aura slowly disappeared.

“What do you mean you don’t know how this happened? You shot her with that energy blast.”

“I know what happened, I mean I’m not sure how I was able to do that.”

“You did it because of that,” she pointed at the necklace.”

He looked down and saw the necklace, “What is that?”

“You tell me, that’s what I want to know.”

“I have no idea what this is, where did this thing come from?”

“You mean you’re telling me you don’t know what that is or where it came from?”

“Bingo, your guess is as good as mine.”

Twilight put her anger in check as she inspected the necklace. Sure enough to Twilight’s eyes the necklace looked like one of The Elements of Harmony.

“That’s not possible, your necklace looks like one of The Elements of Harmony?”

“It does? Does that mean I’m an Element of Harmony too?”

“No, for one thing there are only six Elements of Harmony. Two there is nothing to state that there are other elements, and three yours is different from ours?

“How so?” his curiosity wanted to know more about this element on his neck.

“So far our Elements necklaces are gold while yours is black, although besides that your necklace looks just like Rainbow Dash’s Element of Loyalty.”

“I guess that’s ironic, I use my element for the first time on the element that has a necklace that looks like mine,” he chuckled at his statement.

*SLAP*

Neither one expected what just happened. Twilight in a fit of rage from Shadow’s comment, how dare he laugh at what he did to Rainbow Dash, she thought as she slapped him.

In an instant his smile was replaced with a frown as he stared daggers at Twilight, the red fire returned creating a small blast that pushed Twilight back a few feet.

“That was uncalled for,” he said.

“How was that uncalled for? You shot my friend and then you laughed about it!”

“HEY, she deserved that! If you had experienced only half of what I’ve been through because of her, you would see that she had it coming.”

“There is now way that Rainbow deserved that and even if she did, that’s no excuse to attack her.”

“All I wanted was an apology from her. It’s the least she could have done, but no instead she still denies her actions after all these years and then makes fun of my life.”

Twilight didn’t respond.

“Wait a minute, don’t tell me you believed her?”

Again she didn’t respond.

“That’s it isn’t it? You believe her more than me, your just like everypony else.” He turned around and started walking.

“Wait, where are you going?”

“I’m going home, I’m tired and there’s nothing left for me here.”

Before Twilight could speak he took off and headed towards the Everfree Forest, leaving behind a red lightning trail.

Twilight stood there trying to figure out what to do. What am I suppose to do now? Go after him and then what? I still don’t know anything about that necklace or how he got it. Was he telling the truth about Rainbow Dash? He obviously knew her, did she really do that to him or is he lying? I doubt he would keep up this act after all these years if he was the one lying, so does that make Rainbow Dash the liar?

Her thoughts were interrupted by a groan behind her. Twilight turned to see Rainbow Dash waking up.

“Rainbow Dash, are you all right?” she reach out her hoof to help Rainbow up.

“Of course I’m alright Twilight, after all I’m Rainbow Dash.” She grabbed her hoof and got up.

“Are you sure you’re alright?”

“I’m fine, it will take more than a puny energy blast to hurt me.” she pounded her chest to show how tough she was. Unfortunately her cover wasn’t good enough since she was grunting and her face showed she was in pain each time her hoof hit her chest.

“No you’re not, you can’t fool me. I’m taking you to the hospital.”

Not wanting to go to the hospital after her last visit, she pleaded to Twilight, “For the last time Twilight I’m fine, just a little sore is all. Please don’t take me to the hospital.” She gave her that sad pouty face.

“Alright fine, but I’m taking you to Fluttershy’s so she can take a look at you. You may act like your fine, but I can see that you’re in pain.”

“Okay fine, just don’t take me to the hospital. I’m pretty sure what happened to me wasn’t a big deal.”

They started walking towards Fluttershy’s cottage which wasn’t far from where they were. Twilight noticed that Rainbow was slightly limping as they walked.

She was trying to think about how bad were her injuries when Rainbow spoke, “By the way, what happened to that no good jerk that shot me?”

“He left, he said he was going home.”

“Good riddance, If I ever see him again I’ll make him pay for trying to hurt me.”

“You’re not doing anything of the sort, unless you want to go to the hospital after he’s through with you.”

“He only hit me because he surprised me with that cheap shot, how was I supposed to know that he could use magic.”

“It wasn’t because of him, it was that necklace that gave him that power to shoot a energy beam at you.”

“Any idea about what that necklace is?”

“Not a clue, only that it looks just like your Element of Loyalty.”

“Oh great, first he accuses me of ruining his life, then he gets a necklace that looks just like my element, and then he shoots me with it.”

Twilight stopped and turned around staring face to face with Rainbow Dash. “Dash tell me the truth, did you really do what he said you did?”

Rainbow looked at her with a face of confidence, “Of course not, how long have you’ve known me Twilight? Do you really believe a guy that you’ve only known for a few hours?”

“If he was lying then why would he bring it up all of a sudden?”

“Beats me,” they continued walking.


In no time they trotted up to Fluttershy’s door and Twilight started knocking, “Fluttershy it’s me.”

A few seconds later she responded, “Are you alone?”

“No, I’ve got Rainbow Dash with me.”

“Is… he still with you?”

“No, he’s not. Open the door.”

Rainbow asked, “She met him too?”

“She was the first one I introduced to him, unfortunately it didn’t end peacefully.”

“Who else did you take him to meet?”

“Everyone, you were the last one to meet him.”

“And how did that go with the others?”

Before Twilight could respond the door opened and Fluttershy greeted them. “Hello Twilight, it’s good to see you again. Hello Rainbow Da-”

Fluttershy stopped as soon as she saw the condition Rainbow Dash was in.

“Oh my goodness, what happened to you Rainbow Dash?”

“Twilight’s new friend did this to me.”

“You mean Shadow Bolt, he did this to you?”

“That’s him, he tried to kill me.”

“Oh dear.”

“Rainbow Dash, he wasn’t trying to kill you, he said so himself.”

“So? Just because he said that doesn’t make it true, whose side are you on anyway?

“Can we talk about this later? Fluttershy can you take a look at Rainbow Dash’s injuries? I need to do head back into town for a few minutes.

“Yes, of course I can look after her… if that’s alright with you Rainbow Dash?”

“Yeah it’s cool, what are you going to do Twilight?”

“I need to get the rest of our friends.”

“Why?”

“Because, when I get back with our friends were going to the Everfree Forest to confront Shadow Bolt.”

“W-W-Why would you do that Twilight?” asked Fluttershy.

“Because Fluttershy, there’s something going on with him and he might be a danger to everyone, including himself.” Twilight turned and ran off towards Ponyville. I can’t just leave him alone with that thing around his neck. That thing is dangerous and can cause some serious damage.


Soon Twilight, Applejack, Pinkie Pie were running towards the entrance to the Everfree Forest with Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy flying behind them. When Twilight went to Carousel Boutique to get Rarity, she was already gone. Spike said that she went to deliver her dresses and wouldn’t be back for some time. She then told Spike that when Rarity comes back to send her to the library and wait for when she returns. Before Spike could respond, Twilight dashed away to get the rest of her friends.

In no time all five were standing in front of the Everfree Forest entrance. Twilight turned to her friends and said, “Alright listen up, I don’t know exactly what were going up against but be ready for anything.” They all nodded, “And remember were not here to hurt him we are just going to have a conversation with him first. There’s no need for violence, unless it’s necessary,” She looked at Rainbow Dash and Applejack as she said this.

“No promises,” said Applejack carrying her lasso.

“Yeah, what she said. Don’t think that I’m going to let him get away with blasting me.”

“I mean it! We have no idea what that necklace can do. So until we know what were dealing with nopony provoke him understand?”

Rainbow simply crossed her hooves, “hmmph.”

“Alright everypony lets go.”

For Shadow Bolt, he couldn’t get any rest. He had a feeling of power flowing through him, like he had the power to do anything. He also felt a burning sensation on his neck and chest, his head were filled with memories of that fateful day in Cloudsdale and the events that happened because of it. He started dreaming of the last day he was in Cloudsdale:

He was running through the streets of Cloudsdale, the rain was pouring hard, soaking his coat. How hard he ran fleeing the mob of angry ponies behind him. Some were throwing garbage at him as they chased him. It seemed the city had enough of him walking around in their presence, thinking he should be imprisoned from all the rumors they believed he caused. They didn’t even bother to get the facts from him as they believed that somepony that looked like him would lie through his teeth. He kept running until he reached the edge of the city where the clouds stopped, the crowd was getting closer. With no other alternative he took off, leaving his home behind.

He looked to see if anypony was still following him. To his surprise no one was, he saw the mob standing on the edge of town yelling at him. He could only hear what a few were shouting, “And stay out!”

“Don’t come back!”

“If you’ve ever show your face around here again will send you straight to the Rainbow Factory!”

He kept flying with the rain continuing to pour down on him, he couldn’t tell if the water flowing down his eyes where from the rain or from his own tears.

He kept tossing and turning in his restless slumber, until he heard a familiar voice calling out to him, “Shadow, are you up there?”

He opened his eyes.

Minutes Earlier:

As they walked through the Everfree Forest, Twilight told Applejack, Fluttershy, and Pinkie Pie about what had happened since their meeting with Shadow Bolt. She left out his story for the moment until she found out more about whether he was telling the truth or not. When Twilight finished with what happened to Rainbow Dash, they were shocked.

“Ah said that he looked like trouble and ah was right. Ah knew that there was somethin off about him after he broke ma trees.”

“Oh my goodness, are you sure that your alright Rainbow Dash?”

“Of course I’m sure, even better now thanks to your help Fluttershy.”

“So you’re saying that he got a necklace like our elements and his cutie mark at the same time? We should throw a party after this, it will be a Congratulations on getting your cutie mark/element party.” Pinkie was already thinking about preparations before Rainbow cut her train of thought.

“Excuse me, he shot me with that element and you want to give him a party? He’s not getting anything except my hoof in his face!” Rainbow punched her hoof to prove her point.”

“Rainbow Dash, I thought I told you that were not going to fight him but talk to him. The last thing we need right now is provoking him into a fight when it’s not necessary.”

“And what makes you think that he’ll want to talk to us Twilight? What if he sees us and just starts blasting us with that element of his?”

“Then we will just simply have to defend ourselves, but until then nopony attacks him.”

In no time they came to the clearing that Shadow’s house floated above from.

Twilight looked at the house and noticed something off, that’s strange the house looks bigger than last time and it seems darker too.

“Well what are waiting for Twilight? Go ahead and call him to come outside,” said Rainbow Dash as she motioned her hooves to the house.”

Well here goes nothing, Twilight took a deep breath and called out to Shadow, “Shadow, are you up there?”

No response, she tried again, “Don’t pretend that you didn’t hear me, I know you’re up there.”

Few seconds passed before they heard his voice but he didn’t appear, “Leave me alone.”

“Shadow, will you please come out?”

“What do you want?”

“We just want to talk.”

“Who’s we?”

“My friends are here with me.”

After a few seconds of silence, “Is SHE with you?” he asked.

Twilight looked at Rainbow Dash and waited a few seconds before she responded, “Yes, Rainbow Dash is with me.”

Silence again before he responded, “Has she come to apologize?”

Before Twilight could speak Rainbow Dash cut her off and said, “I’ve got nothing to apologize to the likes of you!”

“Then you know the way out, NOW GO!”

“Shadow please? Just come out and we can discuss this nice and simple.”

“If she’s not here to apologize then I have nothing to say to you girls.”

Rainbow Dash was getting impatient that Twilights idea wasn’t working, “You see Twilight, he doesn’t want to come out. I say we go up there and make him come out.”

Apparently Rainbow didn’t keep her voice down when she said that since Shadow said, “I heard that, if you so even come in two feet of my house, you’ll regret it.”

“Are you threatening me?” she asked.

“You’re the one whose threatening to break into my house and drag me out, I’m simply defending myself.”

“Rainbow Dash stop trying to provoke him,” said Twilight. “We all just need to take a deep breath and calm down before somepony does something they’ll regret.”

“No Twilight, we tried it your way and that didn’t work, so now were doing things my way.” Rainbow flew toward Shadow’s house.

“RAINBOW DASH STOP!” she screamed, but Rainbow didn’t listen and kept going.

“I warned you,” he said.

All of a sudden a red lightning bolt shot out and electrocuted Rainbow Dash.”

Rainbow fell to the ground, Twilight was able to use her levitation spell to stop Rainbow from crashing into the ground.

“RAINBOW DASH!” everypony screamed and ran towards her.

Rainbow slowly started getting up, “I’m fine, we pegasi are able to take a few shots of lightning. Still that did hurt more than the average lightning bolt.”

“One of the advantages of having a house made of storm clouds is a built-in security defense system,” Shadow stated not caring about Rainbow Dash’s condition.

His lightning bolts are now red? That wasn’t the case when I first met him. That element must be the cause of it. Twilight feeling angry said to him, “You could have seriously injured her!”

“I already warned her about what would happen if she tried to pull that stunt, not my fault that she didn’t listen. Besides as I mentioned before she deserved it and much more.”

“What’s he talkin about Twilight?” asked Applejack.

“It’s a long story, I’ll tell you about it later.”

“Ooh I love a good story, I’ll bring some popcorn,” said Pinkie Pie.

“Can we focus on the current situation here?” said Rainbow Dash. “So Twilight what’s your next big idea on how we get that jerk down here.”

“I heard that.”

“Good, I wanted you to hear it, you freak.”

His response was another bolt of lightning striking Rainbow Dash, but she was able to dodge it.”

“Rainbow stop it, do you want him to kill you or something?” asked Twilight.

“Maybe we should just leave him alone like he said,” said Fluttershy.

“We can’t just leave him alone with that thing on his neck Fluttershy,” stated Twilight. “That necklace is dangerous and he could hurt somepony if we just leave him alone.”

“Alright, then what the plan?” asked Applejack. “He won’t come out and if we go near his house he’ll shoot us with that freaky lightning.”

“I have an idea but it won’t be pretty, everypony back up.”

At her request they all backed away from the house. She sighed, Celestia forgive me for what I’m about to do. She took a huge breath and shouted, “I SAID GET DOWN HERE RIGHT NOW! WE ARE NOT LEAVING UNTIL YOU COME DOWN AND TALKS TO US, SO I’M ORDERING YOU TO GET DOWN NOW, YOU JERK!”

Everything went silent, as if someone turned off all the sound in the forest. Then a big bolt of lightning struck directly under the house blinding everypony except for Pinkie Pie, who pulled out some sunglasses out of nowhere. Once their vision returned they saw where the lightning stuck now stood the pegasus Shadow Bolt. His eyes were full of rage and the fiery aura surrounding him. Fluttershy was cowering behind Pinkie Pie who was still wearing her sunglasses watching in awe at the colorful aura around Shadow.

His hateful eyes were staring at Twilight as he started walking slowly towards her. “What did you say to me? Did you just order me? NOPONY ORDERS ME AROUND!”

Twilight quickly tried to calm him down, “I’m sorry, I just wanted you to come down so we could talk. It seemed like it was the only way for it to work.”

“If I said to leave me alone you should respect my wishes and just go.”

“Again I’m sorry, we would have, but we have something important to discuss with you.”

“Don’t go apologizing to him Twilight,” said Rainbow Dash.

“You stay out of this, I’ll deal with you later, liar.”

Rainbow was about to charge, but Applejack stopped her, “Now hold on their sugar cube. Twilight said not to attack him and we should listen to her.”

Twilight turned to Applejack and said, “Thanks, Applejack.” She turned to face Shadow and was surprised that Pinkie Pie was standing next to him.

It seemed he didn’t notice her until she started poking his flank. He turned to see her and jumped back, his aura disappeared. Whoa! When did she show up right next to me? He still didn’t feel comfortable when ponies invaded his personal space and this was the fifth time today, and three of them were by the pink pony standing next to him right now.

“Oops, sorry for spooking you, I was just admiring your cutie mark.”

“My what?” he turned to see the storm cloud lightning bolt on his flank. He smiled, “Well what do you know, I finally got my cutie mark. I’m just like everypony else when did that show up?”

“About the same time as that,” said Twilight pointing at his necklace.

“So I got an element and my cutie mark on the same day, this was a good day. Well except for running into her,” his hoof pointing at Rainbow Dash.

“Bite me!”

“See what I mean?” he sighed.

“Anyway, the reason why we’re here is to talk about that element on your neck.”

“What about it?”

“Well, we think it’s dangerous and we would like if you kindly hand it over to us.”

“And why would I want to do that?” his face turned serious.

“We just think that it’s not safe for you to have it.”

“And what makes you say that?” he frowned.

“An element is a powerful item, and it can be dangerous if it fell into the wrong hooves.”

“LIKE YOURS,” yelled Rainbow Dash.

“Like your one to talk, you don’t even deserve yours.”

*SMACK*

Nopony saw it coming as Rainbow Dash threw a rock and hit Shadow Bolt on his forehead, his head started bleeding.

“RAINBOW!” shouted Twilight.

“Rainbow, what in tarnation did you do that for?”

“He asked for it! That’s what he gets for insulting me.”

“Oh dear, is… he alright?” asked Fluttershy.

Twilight turned to see Shadow shaking with his eyes closed.

“Oh Celestia, this is not good,” said Twilight as she slowly backed away, strangely Pinkie was already behind her. “Shadow, are you alright?”

No response.

“You know that she didn’t mean that, why don’t we just calm down and talk about this?” Twilight was trying hard to defuse the situation, but nothing was working.

Even after all these years, she’s still causing me pain. He could feel the pain on his forehead and the blood flowing down his head. His hatred was surfacing and with it he felt that unstoppable power from before.

He opened his eyes and his fiery red aura burst out creating a small blast that pushed everypony back.

Not again was all that was going in her mind as she stared at Shadow, waiting to see what he would do. She noticed that the bleeding stopped and the cut was healing, The element can heal too? Just what is this thing? His eyes were now focusing on Rainbow Dash as he started walking towards her.

“It seems you still haven’t learned your lesson after what happened last time. Maybe I need to try harder,” he threatened.

“You just try it, this time I’m ready for you,” she said as she started walking towards him, but Applejack kept holding her back.

“Settle down Rainbow, no good can come from the two of ya fighting.”

“Don’t worry AJ, I can take him.”

“I don’t think you should,” said Fluttershy. “You haven’t fully recovered from your injuries.”

“I’m fine, besides it’s him that’s going to be a world of hurt after I’m done with him.”

“You see, it’s because of that overconfidence was the reason that you were losing the race,” he said, “It’s seems your just as overconfident as you were back then if not more so.”

“Come on guys, you don’t have to fight,” said Pinkie Pie trying to defuse the situation, “Why don’t you just make up and then will have We Made Up party. They’ll be balloons and music and cake.”

“First she has to apologize before any notion of making up can ever happen.”

“I am not apologizing, get it through your head.”

“You know what I’ve had enough of this,” he turned his back on Rainbow Dash and started walking away, the aura disappearing.

“And where do you think you’re going?” she asked slightly irritated that he was turning his back on her.

“I’m leaving,” he said.

“So you’re not going to fight?”

“You’re not worth it.”

*WHAM*

In an instant Shadow Bolt was tackled to the ground by Rainbow Dash. She turned him around and started punching him in the face.

“NOPONY *punch* SAYS *punch* THAT *punch* TO *punch* ME!

“RAINBOW, STOP THAT!” shouted Twilight, but her shouting fell on deaf ears. This isn’t what I wanted to happen.

Every hit Rainbows of punches, caused Shadow pain and he would see flashes for every punch she gave to his face. His hatred growing from each punch, the aura returning as well as the feeling of power he had when he first got his element.

He finally had it and shouted, “THAT’S ENOUGH!” with his hind legs he bucked Rainbow Dash in the stomach. Rainbow stopped as she was gasping for air leaning over Shadow, who then gave her a head butt knocking her off of him.

“I’VE HAD ENOUGH OF YOU!” he stood on his hind legs, getting ready to stomp on Rainbow Dash, who was on the ground still gasping for air.

Before he was able to bring down his hooves he was tackled by Applejack, “Stay away from her, ya no good varmint,” she turned around and bucked him with her powerful legs sending him in the air.

He crashed his back into a tree, letting out a pained scream. My back, she’s gonna pay for that. He saw her charging for another attack, he was able to stand up but was too injured to move. Applejack was getting closer towards him, he then concentrated on his element like last time and started charging for another energy blast. Once Applejack got within tackle distance, she leap to the air to pounce Shadow Bolt before he had time to get away. Unfortunately she didn’t see the glowing energy ball until it was too late.

Shadow Bolt gave her a smirk, gotcha he released his blast. All Applejack could do was watch as the energy blast was heading towards her at a rapid pace. The beam hit her in the chest, knocking her unconscious body high in the air.

“APPLEJACK!” Twilight shouted as Applejack flew over her head coming down to the ground.

Pinkie Pie was on her hind legs where Applejack was going to land, she was wearing a really big baseball glove, “I got her, I got her,” she kept saying.

Pinkie Pie successfully caught her with her glove, how she was able to hold her with one hoof was beyond Shadow Bolts comprehension, That one is the strangest pony I’ve ever met. He felt the pain in his back slowly going away as he was able to take flight. He was about to leave, but when he turned he saw Fluttershy, in front of him with an angry look on her face.

“How dare you hurt my friends! Apologize now!”

She has got to be kidding me he couldn’t believe that she thought that he would apologize just because she told him to. He gave her a smirk and said, “Make me.”

“You asked for it,” she closed her eyes for a few seconds, and then she gave him ‘The Stare’. For some reason Shadow felt some sort of feeling of fear from looking at her eyes. “Apologize now!”

He hovered there in fear…… for about 5 seconds she thinks that by giving me some type of look I’ll obey? I’ve dealt with hundreds of hateful stares and this one is no different. He closed his eyes, I think it’s time for somepony else to be on the receiving end this time. He opened his eyes and gave her the meanest, scariest stare he could make.

It seemed his stare worked as Fluttershy had a frightened look on her face, then she flew away and landed next to Pinkie in a fetal position.

“Doesn’t feel good when you’re on the receiving end, does it?” he said.

*WHAM*

He saw stars blinding his vision and he had a headache. When his sight returned he saw Rainbow Dash coming at him for another attack. Oh no, you don’t!

Twilight watched as Rainbow Dash charging at Shadow Bolt for another attack. She saw as Shadow charged his element for another energy blast and fired. Rainbow stopped her attack and avoided his blast. She tried to attack again, but every time she got close, Shadow would fire another blast stopping her approach.

“Twilight, I can’t do anything with that necklace on his neck. Use your magic and take it off him,” she said avoiding another energy blast.

She concentrated on her magic and saw her magic aura covering Shadow’s necklace. She started pulling on it with her magic, she saw Shadow struggling as he resisted her magical pull.

“Stop that,” he said.

She kept pulling.

“I SAID STOP THAT,” he shouted as he started charging his energy blast, but Rainbow punched him, stopping his concentration. He couldn’t move out of the way because of Twilight pulling on his element.

Every time he charged for another attack, Rainbow would swoop down and punched him in the head, keeping him from concentrating. He kept resisting Twilight’s pull.

Twilight closed her eyes and concentrated harder. She could feel her magic working as she felt the element moving towards her. She could hear Shadow groaning as she could feel him pulling back, but she kept reeling him in, waiting for the element to come off.

She felt her horn touch something, I must have finally gotten the element off. She opened her eyes to see that the element was still on Shadow Bolt who was now hovering in front of her. The element was right in front of her eyes still in her magical aura. She looked at it and had a look of shock on her face and gasped. The element was burned into Shadow Bolts skin. That’s why it didn’t come off as soon as I pulled it. Even if he wanted to, Shadow wouldn’t be able to take it off.

She then looked up to Shadows face and was shocked again when she saw his expression. His face was combination of anger and pain. She realized that pulling on his element was causing him great pain.

He looked at her and said in a low but threatening tone, “Let….Go!”

Realizing what she was doing she released her hold. Shadow landed in front of her and started rubbing his chest. He rubbed the element which caused him pain, she could see his pain through his facial expressions.

He looked at her and said, “That…hurt.”

“I didn’t know that the element was fused to your skin, otherwise I wouldn’t have pulled on it.”

He kept rubbing it hoping to get rid of the pain.

“Now do you see how dangerous it is? That element is causing you great pain, please let us help you. We can figure out a way to take it off if you let us help.”

Maybe she has a point he could still feel the never ending burning pain around his neck.

“I guess you have a po-”

*WHACK*

Before he could finish his sentence, he felt a blow to the back of his head, which caused him to lose balance and fell face first to the ground.

“Thanks for keeping him off guard, Twilight,” said Rainbow Dash as she circled for another attack.

Shadow slowly got up, Twilight could see the anger in his face. I’m going to KILL HER!

He listened to the air as Rainbow was getting close towards him, readying for another attack. He kept his back turned to avoid suspicion that he knew she was coming. Wait for it.

She was getting closer.

Wait for it.

Getting closer.

Almost there.

She was readying her attack.

Almost.

He could hear her wings flapping from behind him.

Now!

He quickly lifted his back hooves and kicked Rainbow Dash in the face. The kick sent her flying in the air.

Pinkie was able to catch her just like she did with Applejack. Just what is with her? He turned around and was surprised that she was now standing in front of him, very closely. Once again he jumped back I can’t stand it he stood there waiting for her to make her move.

Pinkie simply stood there.

He waited.

No movement.

He kept waiting.

She didn’t move.

Is she messing with me or something? Still waiting to see what she would do.

But no matter how much time passed, Pinkie simply stood there not doing anything.

Finally he ran out of patience and said, “Well, what are you waiting for?”

“Waiting?”

“Aren’t you going to attack me like the others?”

“Nope,” she simply said with a smile.

Shadow was simply confused, “Why not?”

“Because I don’t hit my friends.”

“You don’t hit you’re….friends?”

“Yup”

Now I’m really confused, wait a minute “Are you saying you’re not going to attack me because you considered me as your friend?”

“Exactomundo,” she said smiling.

She still considers me as a friend “Even though I hurt your friends, I’m still your friend?”

She nodded.

“Why?”

“Because I know that you’re a good pony and not the meanie you’re acting right now.”

He couldn’t think of a response.

“You don’t want to be a meanie weenie, do you?”

She’s right, I’ve never acted like this before no matter how angry I’ve gotten.

Before he could respond, a lasso appeared and wrapped tightly around his neck.

“Ah got him,” said Applejack with the rope in her mouth, she started pulling.

The rope was choking him as she pulled him. His eyes switched from Applejack to Pinkie Pie. She tricked me, she was just a distraction.

“Traitor,” he said to Pinkie Pie as he started fighting Applejacks tugging.

“No, it’s not what you think,” but he ignored her.

The two were locked in their tug of war. No matter how much it hurt or how much the rope was choking him, Shadow kept resisting while Applejack kept pulling with her teeth with all her might. She’s not letting go, even with all my might she won’t let go.

“Let…..go,” he said in a strained voice.

“Ahm not letting go, no matta what,” she said with the rope in her mouth.

He smirked as an idea popped into his head. “Then you better hold on tight, because we’re going for a ride.”

He opened his wings and flew straight up at incredible speed that Applejack was lifted right off the ground. Applejack bit the rope in her mouth on tight as she held on for dear life as Shadow Bolt kept going higher and higher.

Shadow kept going faster and higher until he came to a complete stop. The rope kept going until Applejack was hovering right in front of him. Applejacks eyes widened as Shadow was giving her a menacing smile, he grab the rope between them with his mouth and bit down hard and pulled it until it snapped.

“Enjoy your trip,” he said.

Applejack was now falling at incredible speed.

Rainbow Dash was now waking up after being knocked out by Shadow’s kick. She rubbed her nose and saw that she was bleeding. She quickly looked around to find the pony that did this to her, but she couldn’t find him.

She kept looking until she heard somepony screaming from above. She looked up and was shock to see Applejack falling from the sky.

“SOMEPONY SAVE ME!” she shouted.

“I’LL SAVE YOU, A.J.!” she took off.

The space between them was getting thinner as Rainbow prepared to catch Applejack. Unfortunately Applejack was falling at a greater speed than Rainbow Dash was. So when Rainbow finally caught Applejack, they both were sent falling to the ground.

Twilight tried to use her magic to slow them down, but even with her magic, they were going too fast and both of them crashed into the ground.

“RAINBOW DASH! APPLEJACK!” she ran to see if they were OK.

She was getting close until Shadow Bolt landed furiously between her and her friends. His back was turned to Twilight as he stood there, looking at Applejack and Rainbow Dash.

He looked at them to see that they were still breathing, simply knocked out. Well have to fix that he started walking towards their unconscious bodies.

He was getting closer and closer, until something stopped him. He felt frozen What’s going on? Why can’t I move? No matter how hard he tried, he wasn’t able to move. Then he noticed the purple aura covering him TWILIGHT!

His hateful aura was building up between him and Twilight’s magic, it kept growing until his aura blasted Twilight spell off him. As soon as he felt that he could move again, he turned his head and gave the lavender unicorn an angry look that would scare off an army of dragons.

“TWILIGHT!” he shouted as he started charging towards her.

Twilight could see the extreme hatred in his eyes as he was getting closer. She quickly created a force field around her, just as he about to pounce on her he hit the force field with his front hooves. He then started pounding on the force field. Twilight kept concentrating on holding up the force field as Shadow was continuously pounding the force field.

“YOU’RE JUST LIKE THE OTHERS!” he shouted as he kept on pounding.

Others? What is he talking about?

“You’re just like all the other unicorns I’ve met! Just because you can use magic you all think your better than everypony else. You’re not better than me!”

Okay, now what is this all about?

“I have no idea what you’re talking about.”

“It’s because of unicorns like you that I could never stay in any place for a long time.”

“What about all those other ponies you mentioned before?”

“You think I would leave every time somepony laughed, insulted, or stolen from me? That did happen those times, but I left before it got worse. To others that’s just wasn’t enough for them. Sometimes things got physical.”

“What do you mean?”

“Do I have to spell it out for you? They beat me!” he was breathing hard from his continuous pounding on the force field.

“You’re saying that they attacked you?”

“That’s right! After all, it’s so much easier when your prey can’t defend himself thanks to unicorn magic,” he finally tired out from his failed attack on the force field, his aura vanishing.

“They used that same spell you just used on me every time before every fight. I stood there frozen watching as they walked up to me and they knew that I couldn’t do anything to stop them.”

His mind was suddenly filled with memories of those instances, he remembered every beating, every magic spell a unicorn used on him for practice, and he remembered being covered in more colorful auras than in Rainbow Dash’s mane. How the unicorns used so many spells on him for target practice. He felt every punch he ever received, the stares, and the smiles of his attackers as they assaulted him knowing he couldn’t fight back. He always felt a sense of fear every time he was covered in a unicorn’s magic aura. His fear intensified as the ponies walked up close to him in his frozen state. It’s because of these experiences was the reason why he always felt uncomfortable when somepony was invading his personal space, it’s why he always jump back when some was so close that they could touch him.

If unicorns didn’t use their magic to harm him, they would use it to humiliate him. All those cruel pranks they used to pull on him, how they laughed at him. He remembered one time when a mare with a matching cape and hat used her magic to humiliate him in front of a crowd.

The memories and the pain repeated over again and again in his head and he couldn’t stop him. No matter how hard he tried to concentrate, the memories kept going and going.

Twilight watched as Shadow stood perfectly still in silence outside her force field.

What’s going on with him? First he was talking, then he just stopped, and now he’s just standing there.

Twilight looked at the red gem of his element that was glowing. She then looked at his face and noticed his eyes. His eyes looked like he was in a trance like state.

“Shadow?” she called to see if she could get him out of his trance, but he didn’t respond.

“Hello, Shadow, can you hear me?”

Again he didn’t respond.

The element must have done something to him. It must have put him in a trance. Twilight kept watching him to see if anything happened from her force field. It seemed no noise snapped him out of it. Twilight then saw how he didn’t seem to notice that a few tears were running down his cheeks.

He then closed his eyes, and when he opened them his eyes were no longer in trance but were replaced with his hateful glowing eyes and his aura was back. He looked at Twilight and immediately started pounding on her force field again. His blows were harder and stronger than last time.

Twilight was now having trouble concentrating with Shadow’s powerful blows putting a strain in her concentration. Not sure how much more I can hold it.

“You unicorns think you’re so superior to the rest of us and you don’t care how your actions hurt us in the process.”

“I’m not like those unicorns.”

“Oh no? I remember how you introduced yourself earlier, the way you said it in a snooty tone,” he said. “Ooh I’m Twilight Sparkle, I represent The Element of Magic, the most powerful Element of Harmony,” in a mocking tone.

“I didn’t mean it like that.”

“Spare me your excuses,” he continued pounding on the force field. “You’re just like the rest of them.”

His pounding was starting to crack her force field, I can’t hold it any longer.

“After spending the day with you, I can say that you’re the snootiest unicorn I’ve ever met. You’re probably more snootier than Princess Celestia herself.”

How dare he say that about Princess Celestia! Now Twilight was getting angry herself. Her horn started charging as the force field was starting fall apart.

With one last blow Shadow shattered Twilghts force field. As soon as it shattered, Twilight shot Shadow with her energy blast. The blast sent him skidding through the ground until he stopped. He slowly got up and stared at the furious Twilight.

“NOPONY SAYS ANTHING BAD ABOUT PRINCESS CELESTIA,” she shouted.

Shadow had a smirk on his face, “So you don’t like it when someone insults the princess huh? I bet that it makes your blood boil thinking about it. What you’re feeling right there is hate, and that’s what you used to blast me.”

Twilight didn’t say anything.

“You probably felt powerful from that. Just admit that hate is more powerful than friendship and we can be done here.”

“Never,” she said.

“Oh what’s wrong? You don’t want to disappoint your princess by admitting that you’re wrong. I bet if she found out what you did, she’d probably lock you up or something. Probably doesn’t want someone stronger than her walking around freely.”

Twilight was fuming as he insulted her mentor, “HOW DARE YOU SAY THAT, YOU DON’T TALK ABOUT PRINCESS CELESTIA THAT WAY YOU… YOU MONSTER!

Monster

Shadow had been called many names over the years. After being insulted for so long he stopped caring, but the one thing he couldn’t stand, was when someone called him a monster. Out of all the insults he’s been called, monster was the one that he hated the most.

His hatred burning from Twilight’s insult, he charged at her with incredible speed, “NO ONE CALLS ME A MONSTER!” he shouted.

Twilight saw him coming too fast for her to launch another attack, she quickly summoned another force field just as Shadow was about to pounce on her. Unfortunately for Twilight, as soon as Shadow’s hooves hit the force field, the force field shattered upon impact. The blow caused an extreme headache for Twilight, as she was now defenseless.

Shadow was once again about to launch another attack and because of her headache, Twilight couldn’t concentrate on her magic to defend herself. Without any alternative, she quickly did the only thing she could think of, she closed her eyes and charged right at Shadow.

Her head collided with his chest, stopping his attack. They held their positions for sometime before Twilight, felt something running through her mane and she could hear what sounded like groaning, this caused her to open her eyes. She looked up and her eyes opened wide as she saw what she did. Her horn was impaled in Shadows chest. She quickly backed up, pulling her blood covered horn out of his chest. With Twilight’s body no longer in the way, Shadow was able to lower his front hooves to the ground. The blood from his wound was flowing out.

Twilight could see the pain Shadow was feeling from his face. His face showed even more pain as she saw his wound was closing up. From the looks of it, the elements healing ability causes pain as her eyes was inspecting the now closed wound. Then she looked back at Shadows face and saw the hate on his face as he was staring at her.

“You stabbed me?”

“I was just trying to defend myself, I didn’t mean for that to happen.”

“If that horn was any longer, you would have killed me.”

Twilight didn’t respond to his comment.

“After all my years of traveling, nopony has ever tried to kill me before.”

“It was an accident, I swear.”

Shadow was now fuming with rage, steam was coming out of his nostrils. The element was glowing again. Twilight looked down and saw what looked like smokes coming from his hooves. In a few seconds the smoke was slowing forming into a cloud. Soon the cloud was rising with Shadow standing on top of it, the cloud rose a few feet before stopping.

“This will teach you for trying to kill me,” he said. Shadow stood on his hind legs, then he brought his fore hooves down hard on the cloud, the result caused a bolt of red lighting coming out of the cloud electrocuting Twilight.

Twilight felt the electricity throughout her body and fell to the ground. She didn’t feel pain exactly the she had when she had been struck by lightning from the results of a few pranks caused by Rainbow Dash before. She felt like her body was on fire. It took sometime before the burning sensation started fading and she slowly got up.

“Tell me how did that feel?” he asked.

The burning effect finally wore off before she responded, “It felt like my body was on fire. My body was burning and I couldn’t stop it.”

“That feeling was the burning sensation of hatred. A never ending burn that nothing can extinguish,” he said as he was slowly rubbing his neck where the element was fused to his skin. “Now that you felt the power of hatred, are you ready to admit that you’re wrong?”

“NEVER,” she shouted.

“Then it looks like you need another dose,” he then got on his hind legs again and stomped his hooves on the cloud, releasing another bolt of lightning.

Twilight quickly rolled out of the way as the lightning struck where she was standing not a moment ago. Seeing that he missed, Shadow released another bolt, Twilight was able to jumped out of the way. He then started releasing more bolts at Twilight, each one she was barely able to dodge.

“Come on, and hold still,” he said as he continued firing lightning bolts at Twilight, “Feel the hate and admit your wrong.”

Twilight started charging her horn while dodging Shadow’s attacks. Once her horn was fully charged, Twilight ran under the cloud and blasted the cloud. The beam went straight through the cloud causing it to dissipate, blasting Shadow Bolt in the chest. The blast sent him straight up, until the beam wore off.

Both ponies were staring at each other, both of them breathing heavy from the exhaustion of the fight.

“Just admit it, your friends have been defeated and it’s just you left.”

“We’ve been defeated before, but in the end our friendship has always pulled us through.”

The rest of Twilights friends had finally recovered and were standing right beside her.

“Ya tell him Twilight,” said Applejack.

“Besides the only reason your winning is because you have your stinking element and we don’t,” said Rainbow Dash.

“Is that so?”

“Of course, if we had our elements you’d be toast in ten seconds flat,” she said. “Shame we don’t have them here instead of Canterlot.”

“And what is that supposed to mean?”

“Let’s just say, nopony will be missing you.”

“But it doesn’t have to come to that,” said Twilight. “We only do that for whoever tries to endanger everypony in Equestria.”

“Like you,” said Rainbow Dash.

“Rainbow, stop that.”

“Aw come on Twilight, your thinking the same thing we all are. If we don’t stop him, then he’ll just go blasting at anypony that pisses him off. This would mean everypony he comes across.”

“Is that what you really think of me?” he said, still hovering in the air. “You think that I’m some type of rabid animal that needs to be put down?”

Nopony responded.

He looked at Applejack, “Tell me the truth. Is that what you think of me?!”

He stared at her eyes as she was sweating. She broke eye contact, which was basically a nonverbal confirmation.

“So, that’s how it is,” he said with a hint of sadness, a tear rolled down his face. “Well if you think, I’m going to let you kill me, then you’re sorely mistaken,” he said in an angry tone as he started flying towards his house.

“Where do ya think yur goin?” asked Applejack.

“Why to Canterlot of course, I’ve got some elements to destroy. That way, not only do I prevent you girls from putting me down like a some kind of monster, but I’ll also prove my point about hate being powerful than friendship,” he started pushing his house towards the direction of Canterlot.

“Oh, no you’re not,” said Rainbow Dash as she started going after Shadow. He simply punched his house and a bolt of lightning struck Rainbow Dash. Twilight and the rest were able to catch her before she hit the ground.

Shadow simply smiled and took off at a fast pace with his house, leaving only a trail of black smoke and red lightning.

“What do we do now, Twilight?” asked Fluttershy.

“We have to warn the Princess and then we have to go to Canterlot and stop him.”

“Sounds like a plan,” said Applejack.

“Alright then everypony, let get out of here and save Canterlot,” said Rainbow Dash as she started flying towards Ponyville.

“And after that we can have a We Save Canterlot Again Party,” said Pinkie Pie.

Everyone started running back to the Everfree’s entrance.

Twilight was thinking as she was running, this wasn’t the way it was supposed to happen. Why did have to be this way? I don’t want to hurt him, but now we have no choice. Celestia, forgive me.

Author's Note:

Well there you guys have it, Round 1 goes to Shadow Bolt. Now with Canterlot in danger, will Twilight and her friends be able to stop him before he turns Canterlot into a smoking pile of rubble? Tune in next time to find out!

Also if you guys are wondering why I didn't put Rarity in the fight, its because I couldn't think of anything she could do at the moment. But don't worry she'll have her shot to fight in Round 2.

So leave a comment below and Happy New Year.

I like to give thanks to Devourlord for helping me in getting some of the music for this chapter.