• Published 13th Apr 2022
  • 3,331 Views, 114 Comments

Lasting Memories - Boopy Doopy



Charley was a bitter, friendless man who, even on his death bed, had not one person who cared about him. Death didn't take this fact lightly, and so challenged him to make one friend, or have his soul lost forever.

  • ...
21
 114
 3,331

Chapter Fourteen

Thunderlane laid on a cloud close to Charley, watching him. His eyes were on his long gold mane and tail and bluish-gray coat, watching silently as his friend laid on his back and let tears stream out. His green eyes were cutting through the scene against the bright white clouds. It made Thunderlane feel terrible to watch.

He really was hurting him. He knew that. Even if Charley tried to deny it, he was hurting because of Thunderlane’s actions. He explicitly said he didn’t want to be picked up, told him over and over that he’d only be here for a week and wasn’t looking to fall in love. And yet, somehow, he’d gone and done exactly that. Both of them had.

It wasn’t Charley’s fault that he had been swooped up by the stallion, especially with the way Thunderlane acted. Intentionally flirting with him, calling him a mare when he asked not to be. Charley probably understood that those things would make him feel happy and become more attracted to him. That’s why he said not to do them. And yet the pegasus had gone and done them anyway, and now here they were.

Was Thunderlane really manipulative like Charley said? Obviously he said it didn’t matter, but if it was making Charley cry right now for Thunderlane to be away from him, then it did. Was he really that oblivious to think he wasn’t?

He laid on the cloud feeling awful as he watched him, wishing there was something he could say as the sun set and the stars came out. He tried to think of something, but came up empty. What could he say? The most he’d be able to do was lay with him and be silent, but he didn’t want his presence to hurt Charley more, if it was. It was a difficult situation.

Suddenly though, a door appeared out of nowhere right next to Charley, taking Thunderlane by surprise. Through it came a tall, thin, lankish looking creature dressed in black, one carrying a scythe and a disappointed look in his eye. He was speaking to Charley, and Charley was speaking back to him, although Thunderlane couldn’t really make out what they were saying. Was this the pony Charley was supposed to go somewhere with?

Maybe not, because even from his position, the stallion could see how afraid Charley looked. He seemed like he was pleading with the creature for something, and the creature didn’t look like it was going to be relenting on whatever was about to happen. Then it directed him to get up, and Charley reluctantly did so, getting ready to follow it through the door.

Is that where he’s supposed to go? Thunderlane wondered as he watched him get up sadly, tiredly. What’s going on?

There was a pause where Charley sighed, seeming like this was the very last thing he wanted to do. A second later though, he was stepping into the door, continuing after the creature.

Thunderlane blinked at the scene, feeling confused by everything that happened, before he floated down and stopped in front of where Charley and the other creature went through. The door looked normal enough, but a quick peek inside showed a place with a million other doors, looking like something straight out of a fantasy novel. He saw no sign of Charley inside, or the other creature either. In fact, he saw largely nothing, other than a bright white room filled with doors.

What in Celestia’s name is going on? he wondered. It was strange, that much was apparent. He wondered if he should go in after him, but remembered Charley saying he didn’t want to be stopped. Would he be upset if he chased after him?

He looked upset though, like this was the last thing he wanted to do… maybe I should talk to him?

He tried to think it over, but before long, he noticed the door disappearing, along with the place behind it. He had to make a decision about whether or not he was going to follow after him now.

He looked behind the door to see nothing but the city of Cloudsdale ahead, and then looked back into it. There was nothing to give him any indication of what to expect, nothing except the fact that it was disappearing, and would be gone in a few more moments.

He turned around for a second, considering his options, then, with just a moment to spare, jumped through the door right before it disappeared.

He tripped and fell on his hooves… hooves? Not hooves. They were hands, something he only knew from books about dragons. They didn’t have claws on them like a dragon, only broad, flat nails. They weren’t colored black any more like his hooves were, either, now more a dark brown.

He was also kind of lanky looking, and wearing a black jacket and pants, showing off underneath the former a white shirt with his cutie mark on it. He didn’t have any trouble standing up, and when he did, noticed he didn’t have a tail, nor wings either. At least his mane was the same, still short and blue and bristly looking.

He didn’t know why, but he seemed inclined to walk on just his back two legs, which was something that happened without any trouble. He didn’t stop to consider the strangeness of this, instead looking around. Doors. Hundreds of doors. No, thousands. So many that he’d only taken a few steps and had already lost memory of which one it was he came through. They all looked exactly the same, no indication of any difference between them. It was quite weird.

Thunderlane turned to take in the room he was in, completing a three hundred and sixty degree spin as he viewed it. It all looked pretty much uniform, no distinction between any direction he happened to walk in. Or rather, almost. With careful enough looking, he found a spot of black in a see of endless white walls and doors, almost like a point of light shining through. He didn’t know how far away it was, but moved toward it anyway, figuring he might as well. It wasn’t like there was any other indication of where he should go.

He didn’t know how long it was he walked through the room, whether centuries or seconds, but before long, he found himself in a dark expanse of a space. There were bright, colorful clouds hanging above him, floating peacefully on by, as well as what seemed like stars painted against what had to be the sky. More important than that though was the faint sight he caught in the distance, one that sounded like somepony– someone– facing defeat. He didn’t think twice about heading toward it.

He walked towards the sound, and eventually came upon the same creature dressed in black that he saw before, along with someone else. It was the same creature as he and the other one was, and a female he could tell by the shape of its face and body. She had a medium length mane that fell to her shoulders, colored gold and completed with a purple bonnet with flowers on it, as well as light, white looking skin. She had on a black long sleeved shirt and tight looking dark blue pants, and painted black nails. For a strange looking creature, Thunderlane had to say she looked very pretty.

Her beauty factor was helped along by the green eyes she had, ones Thunderlane couldn’t possibly forget in such a short time since he’d spent almost a week looking into them. That, as well as the shy, embarrassed smile she wore when she saw him as she turned away, all but confirmed who she was.

“Hi, Thunderlane,” Charley got out, almost stuttering as her face turned a deep shade of red. “I didn’t think you’d be following me through.”

“What can I say?” he smiled coolly. “I couldn’t just let you leave without a hug and a kiss at least.” Her face somehow got more red as he continued, “Speaking of which: wow, you’re the prettiest mare I’ve ever seen. You’ve got every other pony beat.”

“S-stop it! I- I’m not that pretty, and I already told you I was a woman! It’s not like anything’s changed!”

“Of course not, sweetie,” he replied. “What was I thinking? I should be saying that you’re still the prettiest mare ever. My bad.”

“God damnit! You… mmm.” Charley tried to scowl, but couldn’t, only able to giggle happily to herself as she put her face in her hands.

“You’re just too easy to fluster,” Thunderlane finished, giving her a smile before bringing his eyes up to the other creature. Death, he somehow knew automatically. He was still holding a large scythe at his side, and looking at Thunderlane with a lot of relief in his eyes. Relief, mixed with sadness. As he did, he noticed Charley sniffle again and start to tear up.

“What’s going on here?” he asked.

“You got here… just in time…” She shut her eyes and cried for a second before suddenly running to him and wrapping her arms around him. He was ready for it, and let her lean into him as she pressed her head into his chest. It only lasted a few seconds before she moved in to kiss him, sinking her lips into his for a long moment.

“You’re nothing but amazing, Thunderlane,” she told him tearfully as she buried her head into his neck. “I don’t know what I’d do without you.”

“That’s what I’m here for,” he replied sweetly, waiting a second before asking, “What exactly did I do though?”

“You were her friend,” the creature, Death, spoke. “Charley needed to find some creature who cared about her, and she found you. I have to admit, I didn’t think it would happen, but she did, and now she can pass on.”

“Pass on?” he asked, raising an eyebrow. “What do you mean by that?” He turned to Charley, looking for an explanation as he asked, “You’re really going to die?”

“Yeah… I mean, maybe I’m already dead, I don’t know, but…” She took a breath as she said, “This is why I said I couldn’t stay. Because I need to be able to be myself.”

“You wouldn’t have had the choice either way,” Death said. “But it is a good thing he showed up. It seems I was wrong about you, Charley, something I’m glad for.” He sent a smile the two’s way, then let out a breath and said, “It’s time to go now, however.”

Both Charley and Thunderlane frowned, the former asking, “Can I have a minute first?”

“Only a minute. You’re weeks past due. We shouldn’t even be waiting one more second. But go ahead.”

She turned back to Thunderlane, automatically starting, “I don’t know how I got myself into this position… well, I do. It’s because I’m a fucking jackass. But still, I would do it all again if it meant I got to know you. I mean, I’m dumb enough that I’d do it all again regardless, but you get the point.”

“I do… but are you sure I’m not manipulating you into thinking that?” Thunderlane asked, raising an eyebrow and trying to make a little joke. He gave a little smile as Charley pushed him away and crossed her arms, turning around frustratedly.

“Are you gonna keep misinterpreting what I’m saying?” she asked. “Cause I don’t want to get into it again and have you get all upset if you will.”

“I’m just kidding, Charley,” he smiled. “Come here.” He wrapped his arms around her chest and pulled her in, putting a kiss on her neck. She closed her eyes and let out a sigh, settling into his embrace again as she gave a little sniffle.

“I love you so much, Thunderlane,” she whispered. “More than I ever have anyone else. I’m glad you tried to pick me up when you first saw me.”

“I wasn’t trying to pick you up, but I love you, too, Charley,” he replied, holding her close.

It was a long moment, one that lasted forever, and yet didn’t last nearly long enough at the same time. It wasn’t long before Death was interrupting the two of them.

“It’s time to go, Charley, and for you to be getting back to Equestria, Thunderlane.”

He let her go, and turned her around to give her one last kiss before she started forward, looking up at Death. Neither had any idea what was going to happen, but figured it was a good sign when his scythe disappeared.

“Charley,” he started, sending a look her way before morphing his face into a happier expression. “Thank you for succeeding. You make my job a lot easier not having to go the route we were going to before.”

“Thank you for giving me the chance,” she replied, “even if you admitted you didn’t believe in me. I guess it’s fair though, since I barely believed in myself.”

“Then I think we both have Thunderlane to thank for this good fortune,” he said, sending a look his way. Charley gave him a teary eyed smile as Death said, “You should get going now. Time here isn’t really relative to Equestria, so the longer you stay, the more it begins to speed up. Your senses will guide you back to the door you came through.”

Thunderlane nodded in understanding as he said, “I will. I love you, Charley. I’m glad to have known you, and I won’t forget you.”

She sniffled again as a few tears ran down, her voice cracking as she said, “I love you Thunderlane. Thank you. For everything. This week was the best week of my entire life.”

“You’re welcome,” he replied in a whisper, sending her that kind smile that always made her smile, staring into her green eyes as he did so. A second later, Death was moving in front of her to do something, a hand touching her side. In another moment, she was starting to fade away.

I hate that she has to leave, but at least she finally gets to be happy, he thought to himself as he watched her. From what she said, her life has been shit. Awful parents, a job she can’t stand, a body she hates… at least she finally gets to be happy after so long.

Finally…

“Wait.”

Death stopped what he was doing, and Charley returned to being fully opaque as he suddenly said, "Let her go to Equestria.”

“What?”

“Thunderlane,” Charley started, her eyes wide and nervousness in her voice and on her face. “You said you wouldn’t do this. You promised you wouldn’t try to convince me to stay.”

“I know, but I can’t stand here and listen to you tell me that you had the best week of your life and now you have to go. It’s not right. You deserve a chance to be happy in real life. Not just in whatever this place is.”

“I’ve said this before to Charley, but it’s never fair,” Death told him. “Unfortunately though, that’s just the way life is. For every creature.”

“And I can’t be happy as a man,” she added, the nervousness in her voice able to be easily heard. “I cannot. It’s not gonna happen. If I have to live as a man again, I’m gonna end up in the exact same position as I was already in.”

“Well you’re a mare right now,” Thunderlane tried to argue. “Isn’t there any way you can just turn her into a mare when she goes back to Equestria? It shouldn't be that hard for someone like you, right?”

“That’s not the issue,” Death explained. “We’re on a schedule, and I should tell you that it’s extremely far behind. Behind by weeks. Charley should’ve been gone a month ago, but I kept looking for extensions for her to find someone who cares. We can’t extend it any further.”

Thunderlane let out a breath as he looked at his shoes, trying to consider something in his head. Both Death and Charley remained silent, waiting for him to speak. Charley’s hands practically shook as she waited, the time between the silence feeling like years before Thunderlane spoke again.

“What if I took Charley’s place?” he offered after an eternity.

“Thunderlane, no!”

“You have to make her a mare though,” he added quickly. “I don’t want to do this if you’re gonna turn her into a stallion. She has to be a mare.”

“Thunderlane, stop!” she yelled. “You can’t do this for me! You already did enough just being my friend! You can’t die for me!” She sounded almost angry at him by the idea of what he was proposing.

“Didn’t you hear what I told you before, sweetie?” he asked as he pushed his eyes into hers, giving her that smile again. “I said I loved you, too. You said you were dumb? Well imagine the kinds of dumb things a pony does for the pony they love.” Then he looked at Death, asking, “Can you do it?”

“I… don’t see why I can’t,” Death pondered. “As long as everything stacks up timewise at the end of both of your lives. Charley would take your remaining lifetime in an arrangement like that. I can’t divide it between the two of you however. Someone has to come with me, and it has to be right now.”

“Don’t you go, Thunderlane,” Charley said seriously, giving him a look that said she meant it. “You don’t have to do this for me, and can’t anyway! You have a little brother to take care of! You can’t give yourself up for me!”

“Like I said,” he chuckled, shaking his head and closing his eyes, “Love and friendship makes a pony act stupid. And I'm sure it doesn't need to be said that you'll take care of Rumble.”

“Thunderlane–”

“Charley,” he started before she could say anything. “If you’re only just now being a mare, then you deserve a chance to be happy as yourself. Alive.”

“Thunderlane…” She sniffed again as her voice cracked. She looked at him with eyes that saw right through him as she asked, “Why do you have to be so nice to me? I don’t deserve all of this.”

“Doesn’t matter if you deserve it,” he smiled. “I think you should be able to be happy.” Then he put his eyes back on Death and asked, “Will you turn her into a mare if I do this?”

“Yes, I will. She’ll take your place in Equestria and take on the rest of your lifespan. Is that acceptable?”

He let out a breath before nodding, then smiling at Charley. He watched Death touch her forehead, changing her into a pony– a mare of the same colors as she was when she was a stallion– before beckoning Thunderlane forward. He confidently stepped forward, stopping only for a moment to give Charley a kiss and a hug before he stood in front of Death in her place.

“Are you ready for this?” he asked carefully, raising an eyebrow. Thunderlane turned around to Charley before looking back up at Death and smiling.

“Yes, I am.”

“Wait.”

“No more waiting,” Death said. “We can’t spend hours on this. If this creature is willing to take your place–”

“I just want one more kiss from him,” she said quietly, looking at her hooves.

Death frowned, and let out a sigh. “Fine, but only one more. We have to get on with this, understand? Go ahead.”

Charley stepped up to Thunderlane and carefully began to pull him in. She stared into his eyes for a long moment, taking in his golden eyes, and never wanting the moment to end. And then, a second later, in a surprise move, she was latching onto his hand and galloping away with him.

“Whaa? What are you doing?” Thunderlane asked in surprise, not stopping as she led him. He turned around to see a shocked looking Death’s expression turn angry as he hurtled after the two of them.

“If I can be a mare and have you, then I’m not going to lose the opportunity!” she said with determination. “Don’t slow down!”

He didn’t dare, following closely behind her, the two taking only a few seconds to reach the room that contained the doors they passed through. Death was right on their heels, grabbing Thunderlane’s other hand and trying to pull him away from her.

“You can’t both go back to Equestria,” he said emotionlessly, speaking with authority. “One of you has to stay here. That’s the way it’s meant to be.”

“No!” Charley yelled. “Everything in my life up to this point has been bullshit! I’m not letting another bullshit thing happen to take what I want away from me!”

She roughly yanked Thunderlane away from him, sending Death tumbling backward as they fell forward. The two of them quickly scrambled back up and bounded further into the maze of doors, there being only a few seconds before Death was back up again as well and chasing after them.

“Where is it, where is it, where is it?” Charley muttered as they ran, Thunderlane glancing behind them to see Death just a few steps away. He had an absolutely angry look on his face, like he was going to murder them once he caught up. Or worse.

“Maybe we should try and apologize?” Thunderlane offered up, Charley dragging both of them forward. “We should stop now. We can't do this. I don’t want it to turn out that you–”

“No! I am not choosing! He told me to find someone who cares about me in a week, and I’m not throwing that away now! Now where is the door?”

They didn’t stop as they looked, scanning around until Thunderlane pointed it out. “There!” he called, pointing to a door that was still open by a crack. The two of them could see the night sky outside, and a few clouds below. Before they could get to it though, Death materialized in front of them, scythe extending out threateningly, an intense expression on his face. He brought them to a halt in front of the door, an inch away from the tip of his blade.

“Move,” Charley demanded, as though her words would do something.

“After the opportunity I gave you, after I fought for weeks to give you an extension on finding someone who cares for you, after adding another week to your life and sending you to the easiest place in history to find someone to care about you, you’re still going to act–”

“No! You said to make a friend, and I did! You expect me to just abandon Thunderlane after I spent an entire week with him? That’s not fucking fair!”

“I’ve already explained to you that nothing is ever fair,” he said frustratedly. “Don’t you understand that?”

“So what? Make it fair!”

“You expect me to just be able to make things fair?” Death asked. Charley sent a glare his way, and he sent back one of his own, the two locking eyes for a long moment. The two stared at each other, wondering who would blink first. Death intensified his gaze, and Charley furrowed her brow more, standing firm. She wasn’t going to give in. She was going to make him blink first.

After a long moment, Death did. A second later, he smiled, and chuckled to himself.

“You really do expect me to make it fair, don’t you?” he said. He let out a breath as he continued, “I guess this was inevitable, what with the instructions I gave you. The others aren’t going to be happy about it, but what can I do?”

“Huh?”

“Do you remember what I told you to do when I pushed you through this door?” he asked.

“Yes, I do. You said to make a friend within a week, and I–”

“You’ve done more than that. You found some creature who cares enough to take your place in death, some creature you’d risk your own happiness to be with. I told you to spread your wings wide open and soar, and you’ve done exactly that it seems.”

“So then both Thunderlane and I can live in Equestria? And I can be a girl?” Charley asked. She looked at Thunderlane, who was smiling widely like he already knew the answer.

“I guess so. I seem not to have a say, what with you demanding I make it fair. I don’t know how I’m going to divide up the time, but I’ll sort that out somehow.” He let out another breath, then opened the door and stepped aside to let them pass through.

"Go on ahead," he said. "I guess I can't stop you for doing exactly what I told you to do. Make sure to keep spreading your wings wide open, and keep soaring."

Thunderlane walked through first, changing back into the pegasus he always was, before turning and waiting for Charley. She, too, took a step to head back through before Death stopped her, putting a hand on her shoulder.

“Charley?” The mare turned around to see him smiling widely, apparently happy with how this turned out despite what she'd done.

“You really exceeded my expectations,” he told her. “Good job.”

She said no words, only smiling proudly before turning and jumping through the door into Equestria, spreading her wings wide wide open to soar next to Thunderlane.