• Published 8th Oct 2012
  • 1,727 Views, 23 Comments

The Phoenix Project - Cydon



What do you do when you wake up after millenia of cryosleep?

  • ...
4
 23
 1,727

Chapter 2 From The Ashes

Chapter 2 From The Ashes

Personal log, Captian Cydon Imperius, May 9, 2132
"Yesterday we arrived at our new assignment code named Project Phoenix, The scientists said it was humanity's last hope, that we were chosen as the best of the best. My job is to guard the facility with my squad. 'Nothing new there.' It wont be long now. The radiation levels are already rising and lethal levels are predicted in the next few days. Whatever those scientists are up to they better hurry because within a few months not even the Phoenix bunker will protect us."

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Professor Bones awoke slowly, quickly blinking his tired eyes at the light of Celestia's morning sun. He looked around at his small but comfortable hotel room before rising to his hooves. He began making his way downstairs to indulge his stomach to breakfast at the Tumbleweed Cafe next door. While munching on his buttered toast Bones contemplated what they would discover when they finished digging up the pod. 'This artifact is most certainly the strangest thing I have ever seen maybe even anypony has ever seen. Hmm I do not believe it was made by ponies at all. That door, what kind of creature would need a door like that? Let me see what is tall and thin? A Griffin? No not tall enough, A dragon? No too big once they grow up what could it possibly be?' As the Professor contemplated Braeburn made his way into town from his farmhouse on the edge of Appleloosa. Braeburn noticed the Professor still munching on his toast with a blank stare apparently lost in thought and trotted over to say hello.

"Good mornin Professor Bones." The Professor stared dumbly at him for a moment before snapping out of his train of thought.

"Huh? Oh good morning to you too Braeburn. I trust your ready to begin the dig once more?"

"Yes sir, all the volunteers are gathering over yonder to help you finish the dig."

"Ah good good, well I have finished my breakfast lets go." The two of them made their way over yonder to the group of volunteers already gathered and eager to finish the dig.

"Excellent, everypony appears to be ready so lets finish up today shall we? Just remember to be careful, we don't want anypony to get hurt." as the Professor finished speaking they heard a faint whirring noise from the pod.

Solar charge complete...
Initializing T.A.R.A....
T.A.R.A. Initialized

"What in the name of Celestia is that noise?" The volunteers began whispering to one another the tension quickly rising.

"Its coming from the pod!" A grey mare exclaimed.

"We should get out of here!" A brown stallion nearly shouted.

"EVERYPONY CALM DOWN!" The Professor roared, he continued in a calmer tone "Now I want all of you to calmly go home and wait until further notice, Braeburn." The ponies begin to disperse back towards town.

"Yes Professor?"

"Would you please go get the Sheriff?"

"Uhhh yeah I'm on it Professor."

"Good, I'll be waiting."

_________________________________________________________________________

Inside the pod

Analysis of Cryostasis chamber complete...
no damage to chamber detected...
initiating thawing procedure...

The door to the stasis chamber inside the pod slowly opened revealing a 5' 11" human with dirty blonde hair wearing a light blue cryosuit. A mechanical arm descends from the ceiling beside him equipped with a syringe with a large needle. After getting level with his neck the mechanical arm inserted the needle and injected the serum.

I woke up, it was a terrible experience, the first thing I feel is a painful stinging in my neck and then a burning sensation traveling throughout my body. The first sense to return is my hearing, I could hear the faint whir of the fans and the mechanical arm as it returned to the ceiling. Next came my sense of smell, the air was stale like it had been sitting for years. 'The scrubbers must need replacing soon.' I tried to move my toes, and felt a weak wiggle 'Good now fingers.' I could feel my fingers wiggle as well 'Now for sight' I tried to slowly open my eyes it was difficult at first but got easier as the serum worked its way through my system. The first thing I saw was a few blinking lights in an almost pitch black pod, I tried to talk but only managed to croak my throat too dry for that. The computer turned on the emergency lights bathing the room in a soft red glow as another arm brought a glass filled with water to my face. I tried to drink some but spluttered most of it up and around me but it was enough to talk.

"Computer, where are we?" I managed to voice just barely a whisper.

"Hello Captain, I am the Tactics and Relations Assistant but you may call me Tara, I will be aiding you on your mission. to answer your question though, I am afraid I do not have that information the navigational system was knocked out when we crashed and is still damaged."

"We crashed?" I tried to stretch my neck and I was rewarded by a few small pops.

"Yes, the engines were disrupted mid flight causing this pod to crash."

"Do you know how long I was out?" I managed to whisper my voice getting stronger.

"I do not have the exact number due to power failure, but it has been at least 500 hundred thousand years."

"WHAT!" I tried to yell but it only came out as a loud whisper "But I was only supposed to be asleep for fifty years!"

"The hard landing from the crash damaged the computer causing you continued to sleep far longer than originally intended"

"Then how am I awake now?" I questioned my voice now mostly normal.

"This planets natives caused a system restart."

"Natives? Do you mean?" My brain took a few seconds to process this. "ALIENS! Are they friendly? What do they look like? Should I get my gun? Do I-" *grrrrrrrumble* "-I think I need to eat something before we do anything else." I said raising my hand and rubbing my still growling stomach.

"All food aboard the pod expired a few hundred thousand years ago. I would not recommend trying any."

"I guess I need to go outside to get something to eat then."

"I would first suggest a change of clothes, your cryosuit will be insufficient."

"Yeah I don't think this cryosuit is good for anything except cryosleep. Now, where is my gear?" After a quick search of the cargo compartments and with a little help from Tara I managed to locate my uniform and my casual clothing as well as the rest of my gear.

I would recommend you wear your uniform until we are certain of the natives intentions."

"Sounds like a good idea. I can't have hostile aliens putting holes in me or my clothes." My uniform consisted of urban camouflage pants and jacket with metal fibers sewn into the fabric to make it more durable and tear resistant. Under it was a grey cotton t-shirt, on my feet I wore my standard issue combat boots with steel toes and I even had a camo soft cap hat that has a steel skullcap hidden underneath.

"Now you just need to get your combat gear." 'Can't live without it' I thought happily as I grab my Bagman backpack and slip it on, next I strap my Gauss rifle over my shoulder, put my knife in its sheath and Gauss pistol in its holster. I Stick my casual clothes in the backpack.

"Almost ready. Tara, what do the natives look like?"

"The natives outside the pod appear to be equine like, and are around three to four feet in height. Currently only three are outside, the others from the group left when one of them began shouting. The first two appear to be used to hard labor although the last one has a horn on it's forehead."

"Small equines? Like ponies? And a unicorn? Really?"

"I am now ready to depart just insert my chip into your Bagman and we can leave." Tara's chip ejects from the computer and I insert it into the slot on my Bagman.

"Are you okay in there?"

"The Bagman is operating at optimal levels."

"Good. What can you do in there anyway?"

"The Bagman backpack was designed with the lone soldier in mind and is equipped with the forge system. It is capable of creating ammunition and small items as long as the materials required are present and a blueprint is on file for the item. The backpack will also constantly monitor your life signs and will provide a Medistim when you are injured."

"Cool, but whats a Medistim?"

"A Medistim is a shot filled with antibiotics, adrenalin and several medicines to accelerate the healing process. Use caution as multiple shots can do more harm than good."

"Ok go easy on the shots got it, Now lets go greet the ponies." I announced as I marched for the door.

___________________________________________________________________________

A few minutes ago

'Where is Braeburn? He should be back with the Sheriff by now.' Professor Bones was pacing in front of the pod listening to the whirring noise coming from within. As he grew ever more nervous.

"PROFESSOR! Ah found the Sheriff!" Braeburn and Sheriff Silverstar ran up to the Professor panting from their sprint.

"Good your here let me get you up to speed then. Shortly after my arrival with the dig team the pod began making these strange noises you can hear right now. To prevent a panic I sent the dig team home and Braeburn to get you, I have been here for a few minutes and nothing else has happened." Professor Bones stood calmly watching Sheriff Silver Star and awaiting his response.

"Good thinking sending those ponies home, a panic would be a lot of trouble to clean up." Sheriff Silverstar said after he stopped panting. After a few more minutes of walking around the pod they heard a loud groan and a squeak of metal. The ponies looked to the door on the pod as it slowly began to slide open going right into the wall. A red glow spilled out of the crack growing brighter as the door slid open until a particularly loud screech and the door halted its advance only halfway. The ponies stared in disbelief at the door.

"I...is it broken?" Sheriff Silverstar said quietly as he took a step towards the door. He quickly stopped as they heard a voice from within cry in frustration

"AWW COME ON!" They watched in growing horror as two pink claw like appendages emerged from the gloom and grabbed the door. With a grunt the door squeaked again and slid the rest of the way open.

I stared out of the gloom of the pod and into the blindingly bright sunshine I put my hand in front of my eyes and waited for them to adjust to the brightness. When they did I looked to the right, in the distance I could see mountains, I looked to the left. 'Is that an apple orchard!?' I look straight ahead, in the distance I can see a small town it looks a little like an old western town and I can see colorful blobs moving about. I look down and I see three ponies staring back at me mouths agape and eyes as wide as baseballs 'THEIR EYES ARE HUGE!' they continue to stare at me and I stare back, they seem to be examining me so I look them over, I notice the dark blue one has a horn, the brown one has a silver star on his vest and 'He has a hat!' its a black stetson with a red stripe. The yellow one also has a vest but without a star 'He has a hat too.' a brown stetson.

"Umm...Hello?" 'I don't know how but their eyes just got wider.' "Tara do you think they can understand me?"

I have no information on that subject."

"Well lets try this. GREETINGS PONIES I COME IN PEACE!" At my shout the ponies snapped out of their trance and fell to their flanks the blue one was the first to respond.

"Their is no need to shout creature, I am Professor Bones and this is-" He points a hoof at the brown pony "-Sheriff Silverstar and-" he moves his hoof over to the yellow pony "-Braeburn Apple." Now it was my turn to stare these alien...ponies, understood and even spoke english. I stared at them for a few seconds before realizing I should respond.

"I am a human but you may call me Cydon." Braeburn spoke up next.

"Well howdy do Mr. Cydon I ain't never seen a hoo-man before, do you always wear such strange clothes?" He said gesturing to my clothes.

"This is my uniform I wear it while on duty and when I need protection." I replied staring him down, he took a step back but held his ground. Sheriff Silverstar took a nervous glance at my equipment.

"Is that a weapon of somesort?"

"Oh this?" I said pointing to my rifle, they nodded "This is indeed a weapon from my world it is called a Gauss rifle and it works by propelling a small metal projectile at supersonic speeds." They gasped at that.

"Are you gonna hurt anypony?" Braeburn asked a bit of fear entering his voice.

"I have no intentions of harming any sentient creatures so long as they do not harm me." Each pony let out a breath they didn't know they were holding. "Besides it would be bad manners to kill my hosts, especially seeing as I will be here for awhile." They all chuckled a little.

"Who was that you were talking to when you came out I don't see anypony else around here."

"You mean Tara? She is my robotic assistant she doesn't have a body but she lives in my backpack here." I said pointing to my pack.

"Tara? Robot? In your backpack? Is that like a saddlebag?" The ponies stared at the Bagman unconvinced that a backpack could talk.

"I am Tara, I am a Tactics and Relations Assistant and my job is to help Captain Cydon accomplish his goals. And yes the principle is the same as a saddlebag." The ponies mouths were agape once again but they recovered quickly this time.

"What sort of magic is that?" The Professor asked.

"It's not magic it's science. Now I have a question for you. What is this place called?" Braeburn's eyes lit up at the question.

"Well this right here is the town of Aaaappleloosa! We got wild west dances, mild west dances, horse drawn carriages, horse drawn horse drawn carriages and-"

"Braeburn I think he gets it." Sheriff Silverstar deadpanned.

"Oh, right and the country is Equestria."

"Appleloosa and Equestria huh? Alright I can roll with that." I decided now was a good time to jump down from the doorway I had been standing in, landing with an "Oomph" I looked over to the ponies and they looked back at me and they began to stare again. "I know I'm handsome but come on guys Snap Out Of It." I snapped my fingers in front of their faces. They shook their heads and the Professor spoke.

"Sheriff you and I will go back into town and tell everypony that everything is ok and they can come out now."

"Ok, but what is Braeburn gonna do Professor?"

"Braeburn will be escorting our friend here to his farm where he will be staying until we figure something else out."

"Alright Professor ah reckon that will work." Braeburn said as he took another look at me.

"Don't I get a say in this?" I piped up.

"No." They all said in unison.

"Ok."

"Cydon I will be by the farm tomorrow to help you adjust to Equestrian society, and learn about yours in the process. So tata for now." The yellow farm pony I know as Braeburn tipped his hat to his friends and began walking towards what I thought was an apple orchard and I followed closely behind.

"You sure are a strange looking feller."

"You think I'm weird? To me you look like a small pack horse from back home."

"A what?" Braeburn stopped to give me a funny look.

"Basically it's a very strong pony we humans used to carry heavy loads long distances."

"Used?"

"Well we don't anymore we found a better way. Oh and the ponies back home don't talk, in fact humans are the only species that can."

"Then why are you so calm about a talking pony?"

"To be honest It's mostly because I don't care right now seeing as I haven't eaten anything in several hundred thousand years and I'M STARVING! But while we humans may have been the only sentient species on Earth. We believed that other planets may be capable of supporting life and some of that life could become sentient, So yeah aliens are cool." As I finished my stomach decided to voice its opinion *gggrruummble* Braeburn just looked at me funny again.

"Well what do humans eat?"

"Humans are omnivorous so I can eat meat, fruits or vegetables."

"Meat?" Braeburn didn't look like he liked the sound of that.

"Or fruits and vegetables." I said helpfully 'Maybe I should have left the meat part out?'

"Just don't eat anypony or any meat near a pony and we can get along just fine. Alright?" He said shuddering at the thought of eating meat.

"Wouldn't dream of it." 'I don't think eating a sentient life form is a good idea guess I'm vegan for awhile.' "Hey Braeburn are those apples?"

"Sure are! Finest apples in Appleloosa. Although their not as good as cousin AJ's at Sweet Apple Acres their still mighty good." That's a surprise, apples on another planet. Before I could question it though my stomach once again protested. *GGRRUMBLE* Although a little louder this time.

"Hehe, mind if I try a few Braeburn? I think I need it."

"Go ahead just don't eat the whole orchard." I made my way up to a tree and jumped up trying to snatch an apple, only to miss and fall back to the ground.

"Dangit just a little short."

"Here let me help you." Braeburn trotted up to the tree and gave it a swift kick, the branches shook for a few seconds before a handful of apples fell to the ground. I gratefully smiled and began to munch on them immediately too hungry too care about anything else.

"Thesh are awshhome!" I said in between bites. These had to be some of the best apples I've ever had and these were average. If Braeburn's cousins were better then I had to get some.

"You'll have to stay in the barn tonight but I'll see about getting you a proper room tomorrow." I glanced at my watch it read 1:22 A.M. 'Guess I'll have to fix that' I then looked for the sun and it was nearing the horizon.

"I can do that. I've slept in worse places." I looked at the path and followed it through the orchard until it came to a small farm house with a red barn not too far away. The rest of our short walk was spent in silence just enjoying the scenery or at least I was. Braeburn appeared to be lost in thought as we approached the barn.

"Well I thank you for the place to stay."

"It's no trouble it's kind of Apple family policy to be good neighbors and have great hospitality. I'm sure we can find a way to calmly introduce you to town tomorrow."

"I certainly hope so my pod is too damaged to go anywhere so I'm stuck here, I need to be able to get along with you ponies for better or worse."

"Well goodnight Cydon."

"Goodnight Braeburn." Braeburn took this as his cue to leave and went to the farmhouse. I stood at the door to the barn hand on the frame head bowed and let out a deep sigh 'I'm alone now, no other humans just little o'l me and an entire civilization of ponies' I sighed again and looked towards the sunset now an orange glow on the horizon. 'My friends, my family, my squad all of them gone I don't even know where I am. I guess i'll have to start over it's not like I can just go back. So I guess I just move forward.' I looked to the ground and saw a large yellow feather. I reached down and picked it up, it was soft I took another look at the feather and put it onto my cap like one of those old time explorers. I immediately felt my mood brighten 'Heh, ye olden feather hat +5 swag.' I chuckled at my own joke 'Although the others may be gone I still remain and as long as I breathe they will never be forgotten.'

The sun finally finished its decent and the last of it's orange glow began fading over the horizon. I turned and walked into the barn shutting the door behind me. The barn looked normal enough plenty of hay a couple of barrels and a few baskets of apples. I made my way through the dark barn and lay down on a bale of hay. 'These ponies don't seem all that dangerous I mean that sheriff didn't even have a weapon, then again he could have left it behind but that seems unlikely, maybe I can have some peace and quiet for once? Might be a good change of pace from all the war back home.' I closed my eyes and drifted off to dreamland.

Author's Note:

Thanks for reading this far folks, I just now realized I spent ten hours writing and editing this, wow writing takes longer than I thought, I hope you guys enjoy this as much as I did writing it. The Bagman Backpack Idea I borrowed from the game Rogue Trooper I thought it was cool. I hope you guys know what a Gauss rifle is but if you don't It's like this. Remember I do not own the Rogue Trooper franchise or anything Hasbro related and I REGRET NOTHING 'leaps out window' Well that's all for now remember to keep calm and brony on.

Edit: Remember folks I have no idea what I'm doing if you notice something I do is wrong point it out please. This includes spelling, grammar, story flow, and logic flow as well as anything else I can't think of. Thank you in advance for your help.

Edit: March 8,2013 Gah! Why must my writing from a few months ago be so different? All this editing will take me ages!