• Published 8th Oct 2012
  • 1,728 Views, 23 Comments

The Phoenix Project - Cydon



What do you do when you wake up after millenia of cryosleep?

  • ...
4
 23
 1,728

Chapter 12 Journey

Chapter 12 Journey

My eyes snap open. My vision is greeted by the moon hanging bright in the night sky. I sit up and look around. 'Where the hell am I?' I quickly look around. I'm sitting in a grassy field on a hill overlooking a massive dark forest. The stars twinkle endlessly in the sky. "Hello?" I stand up. 'Wait a second.' I look myself over. 'Where are my injuries? What happened to the hospital?' "Is this all a dream?"

"Yes. This is a dream." I jump and turn to look at the voice.

"Luna! Why am I here? Why are you here? Where is here?" Luna smiles and looks to the sky.

"This is your dreamscape. You are asleep and I am here to wake you."

"Really? You can enter dreams?"

"Yes. But enough talk you must awaken. My sister and I will be arriving at the hospital soon."

"But how do I-" Luna's horn glows brightly and I shield my eyes. "Ahh! A little warning next time please." I move my hand. I am no longer in the dreamscape but back in my hospital bed. I set my arm back on the bed and wince when my bruised skin makes contact.

"Cyd?" A weak voice from nearby causes me to jerk my head in its direction sending a jolt of pain.

"Sky! Oww."

"Cyd. Your okay. Thank Celestia. I thought you were gone."

"It'll take more than that to kill me. Hehe." I chuckle weakly causing more pain from my ribs. "How about you?"

"I'll be better after some rest. Lightning takes a lot out of a mare."

"Yeah I bet it does." We look at each other for a few minutes before the door to the room opens. Two Alicorns and one purple unicorn enter. "Princesses, Twilight." I try to sit up only to encounter pain in the attempt. Celestia looks me over concern clear on her face.

"Please allow me to help." Celestia's horn glows and I feel the soothing sensation of water flowing over me. "That should help." The pain eases so that I barley notice it.

"What did you do?" I say testing my limbs.

"I used my magic to enhance your natural healing process and numb the pain."

"Thanks. Twilight said you found something?" The princesses look at each other and nod then look back to me.

"Our scouts have managed to locate Professor Rolling Bones. He is being held, along with dozens of other ponies in a Changeling Hive, located in the Macintosh Hills."

"Twilight, get my things." Twilight gave me a look that clearly said 'Are You Crazy!'

"Your not seriously planning on going anywhere, let alone a Changeling Hive in your condition. Are you?!"

"Hmm, friend in mortal danger. Innocents lives at stake. Yep I'm going."

"But! You can barely move!"

"It's not that bad." I try to stand up and get shakily to my feet. "See nothing to it." I say slapping my leg sending searing hot bolts of pain through it. "No problem." I say weakly. Twilight glares at me unconvinced. I look to the others for support but receive nothing. Fluttershy trots into the room carrying a tray of food and immediately begins glaring daggers into me.

"You get right back into that bed mister!" Fluttershy glares hard enough to almost burn holes into me.

"Yes Mrs. pony ma'am." I quickly but carefully scramble back onto the bed using the sheet to hide from her steely gaze.

"Good. Now you stay there until you get better." I hear hoofsteps retreating from the room so I peak from behind the sheet. Fluttershy was nowhere to be seen the tray lay on the counter by the door.

"Royal guard have been posted throughout Ponyville for its protection. We must go we have duties to attend to. Recover quickly."

"Yeah, later princesses."

"Oh one last thing. Cydon I want you to read this letter. Read it alone and if you so choose you may share its contents." Celestia levitates a roll of parchment sealed with the royal symbol over to me.

"Understood Celestia."

"Fare thee well." The regal sister's horns begin glowing and in a flash of light they disappear.

"Twilight."

"Yes?"

"Was that Fluttershy?"

"Um yes?"

"I never thought I would say this but. She can be pretty scary." Twilight and Sky laugh.

"It's okay. I don't blame you. The Stare is very potent."

"The Stare?"

"That's what she calls it."

"I'll remember that." Twilight turns to look at Sky.

"So Sky, how are you feeling?"

"A little weak but I'll be okay."

"Good because I have some questions for you." Sky look to me with pleading eyes that say. 'Help Me!'

"Sorry Sky I already answered what I could."

She groans as Twilight levitates a notepad and quill. "Now Sky, what can you tell me about this lightning ability of yours?"

"I discovered my ability when I was a young filly."

"Yes, Cydon told us your cutie mark story."

"MmHmm Unlike most pegasi, when I encounter lightning instead of being electrocuted I am able to harness its raw power to temporarily boost my speed."

"Amazing, but doesn't it hurt?"

"Of course, but not as much as it would hurt you. As you can tell by my hospital stay it takes a lot out of me."

"Would I be able to run some tests?"

"Ehh maybe later."

"I'll be waiting when your ready. Oh I almost forgot. Cydon, Rarity fixed up your clothes and made you new ones." Twilight levitates a box out of her saddlebags and over to me.

"Wow, tell her I said thank you. But how did she get my measurements?"

"She used your old clothes and based the new ones on that." Inside the box were shirts of various colors and several pairs of pants.

"These are perfect! But are they durable?"

"They have all been enchanted to be as strong as steel."

"Really? That will be helpful next time a Changeling tries to stab me."

"She thought you would like that."

"How much were they? I should pay her for her excellent work."

"She said that wouldn't be necessary seeing you in more fashionable outfits would be payment enough." Nurse Redheart knocked on the door and let herself in. While I quickly changed out of the hospital gown and into a dark green shirt and grey pants. I placed Celestia's letter in my pants pocket.

"I have your release forms. You are both well enough to no longer need a hospital but remember to get plenty of bed rest for the next few days." She set the forms down on my bedside table and left. I picked up the forms and signed them Sky doing the same. Twilight picked up a wheelchair off the wall and unfolded it before setting it down next to my bed.

"Er that's probably a good idea." I ease myself gently into the chair. It's a little uncomfortable but I can manage. Sky stands slowly and walks over to the door.

"Lets get out of here. We have a new house to see." She says holding the door.

"Oh yeah it should be done by now." Twilight uses her magic to push me out the door and to the front desk. "Here you go we signed it." The duty nurse examines the forms.

"Everything is in order you are free to go." She helpfully waves her hoof towards the door and returns to her work.

"Thank you." Sky holds the door open as we head out into Ponyville. "Hey Twilight can we move my stuff to the house?"

"I already moved it to your house while you were still in the hospital."

"Cool thanks." As we walked through town I began noticing all the guards Celestia mentioned. They patrolled the streets in groups of four. Marching this way and that.

"Hey where is everypony? The guards didn't scare them off did they? Their not scared of me again are they?"

"I don't know, I can ask around later. Lets get you two home for now, you need to rest." We continue through the nearly empty streets out of Ponyville and over the hill bringing our new home into view.

"Wow it looks great." The two story building was now complete with a balcony coming off of the second floor and a brick chimney on each side. We make our way to the door and Sky opens it. Twilight pushes me inside. "Hey where is the light switch?" The lights suddenly switch on followed by the sound of a cannon and the roar of several dozen ponies yelling simultaneously.

"SURPRISE!" In shock I jump causing the wheelchair to tilt back too far.

"Ahh!" *Thump* "Oww." I shake my head to clear my blurry vision as a pink blob bounces up to me.

"Were you surprised? Were ya? Were ya?" Twilight rights the chair.

"Yes Pinkie." I said rubbing the back of my head. "Very surprised."

"Oh goodie what about you Sky? Sky?" We look around but can't see the yellow pegasus. I think for a moment and try looking up. Attached to the ceiling light was two yellow pegasi. "Silly fillies you can't have a party up there." Pinkie walks over to the wall and pulls suction cups out from under the table attaching them to her hooves.

"Pinkie what are you doing?" She looks at me and smiles. Turning back to the wall she then proceeds to climb the wall. Then across the ceiling to the light. Pinkie carefully detaches the pegasi from the light and still holding them falls to the floor. Stopping just before impact and setting them gently on the ground.

"You can open your eyes now silly fillies." Fluttershy peeks from around her hoof and catches sight of the crowd. *Eep* Before hiding behind her mane and scurrying behind Pinkie. Sky remains unmoving so I roll over to check on her. *snore* Smiling I pick up the sleeping mare and place her on my lap.

"Pinkie I really appreciate the party but I think we should just go to bed you all have fun though." Pinkie nods in under standing as I roll over to the stairs and stop. 'Great now what?'

"Need a hoof?"

"Yes actually." I turn to see my favorite grey pegasus and her favorite brown earth pony. Ditzy's leg is in a cast but she seems to be mostly recovered from the attack.

"How about it Doctor can we help these two up the stairs?"

"You stay off that leg I'll help them." He grabs the chair and carefully gets us up the stairs.

"Thanks, good to see you and Ditzy are okay."

"Think nothing of it. Who knows what they would have done to my Derpy if you didn't show up."

"They wouldn't have even been there if it wasn't for me. They hurt her to get to me."

"Yes they did but you stopped that didn't you. It's not your fault they hurt her. The only thing we blame you for is saving her from them."

"But, I-" He hushes me with a hoof.

"That's enough. Now take this filly to bed." I look at him one more time and he grins at me. "Go on what are you waiting for? Off with you." I roll over to a door and open it. 'Bathroom. Next!' I roll to the next door and open it. 'Here we go.' I roll into the master bedroom and gently place Sky onto the bed. She curls up on the bed as I cover her with the blanket.

Rolling over to the Balcony door I go outside. Celestia's sun has begun its decent over the horizon and the moon is starting to peak on the other side. I pull out Celestia's letter and begin reading.

Dear Captain Cydon Imperius

I have been hearing things about you. Good things, things that get a pony into the Royal guard. So I would like to offer you a position as a bodyguard to the the Elements of Harmony. Should you choose to accept you will need to burn this letter. It is enchanted so I will know when you do. You will be paid for your services, five hundred bits a month.

Signed

Princess Celestia Co-Ruler of Equestria

I roll up the letter and place it back in my pocket. "It's beautiful isn't it?" I turn towards the voice as Twilight steps onto the balcony. "It's my favorite time of day. That special time just as both the sun and moon hang in the sky, Twilight."

"Seems fitting." We watch the celestial bodies move for a few minutes.

"She really likes you." I turn to face her.

"What?"

"Sky, she really likes you." She whispers her head looking towards the ground.

"Yeah." She turns her head to look me in the eyes.

"She's had a really rough past hasn't she?"

"Yeah." She goes silent again.

"What are you going to do?"

"..."

"She won't wait forever."

"..."

*sigh* "Goodnight Cydon." Twilight turns and starts to leave.

"Twilight?" She stops and turns to look at me. "She can't be alone ever again."

"But she's not alone she has friends now she has you."

"I know. But I wont be around forever. I need to prepare now." I get to my feet.

"Prepare?"

"For the Hive, I'm going. Alone."

"That's crazy! They'll kill you!"

"They want me so I'm going I won't let them hurt anypony else. Even if it kills me."

"But what about Sky! Are just going to leave her here alone!?" She nearly shouts.

"She has you guys as her friends. I'm just an alien who wasn't supposed to be here."

"But you are here and we don't want you to leave. She doesn't want you to leave." Twilight says the last part quietly almost to herself. I don't notice it as I begin searching for the enchanted chest containing my gear.

"Where is it Twilight?" Twilight looks at me with a sad look in her eyes.

"I have to do this Twilight and I have to do it alone. I cannot allow anypony else to be hurt because of me." Twilight gives me one last look and waves her hoof towards the closet. I open it and spot the chest inside.

"Thank you Twilight. Please don't tell the others I'm leaving until after I'm gone I can't let them stop me." Twilight nods solemnly and sits down on the bed next to Sky. I grab all of my gear and head for the door. I open it and realize their is still a party going on downstairs.

I set my rifle by the door and head for the kitchen with my pack. I rummage through the cabinets for some supplies. "Your leaving?" I turn to see the cause of the voice. Three familiar fillies are standing in the doorway.

"Yes, I have something important to do."

"Are ya comin back?" They give me the saddest look I have ever seen a pony make and I quickly crouch down next to them.

"To be honest with you I don't know if I'll come back. But I will try, with all my might." With tears in their eyes they spread their forehooves and I accept their hug. After a minute I release them and continue packing supplies. They watch me as I head back up the stairs. I go back into the bedroom where Twilight is still lying on the bed next to Sky.

"How do I get to the Macintosh Hills?" I say picking up my rifle.

"The Macintosh hills are south of Appleloosa. The train is leaving soon so you'll have to hurry." Twilight says with no emotion in her voice.

"Thank you Twilight. For everything." I go over to the bed and run my hand through Sky's mane.

"I'm sorry it has to be like this. I wish I had more time." I head over to a desk and fetch a parchment and quill. I write out a letter and leave it on the table. With one last glance at the two mares on the bed I open the window and climb out. I drop to the ground causing me to grunt on impact. My legs flare in pain.

"Tara I can't slow down can you give me a stim?"

"Remember that multiple doses have detrimental effects."

"I know but I have to keep going." A medistim pops out and injects itself into my arm. I stand up and begin a slow jog. As I near the station I hear a whistle and see smoke billowing over the rooftops. 'I can't miss it.' I increase my speed. The train was slowly picking up speed as it pulled away from the station. I pull out all the stops and sprint headlong for the nearest car. 'Come on. Come on.' The train was going nearly as fast as I was when I finally got close enough to grab a hold of the railing. 'Got it!' I pull myself onto the speeding train and enter the Caboose.

Inside were boxes and crates all bound for different cities I found a sack of flour and lay down. Using it as a pillow I try to fall asleep. 'I'm on my way Professor.'

Author's Note:

Edit: March 15, 2013 Hey! I'm gonna get you too another one bites the dust!