• Published 26th Nov 2021
  • 318 Views, 2 Comments

A World of Madness - Visharo



A world torn apart by the disruption of harmony and magic...and all signs point to Celestia.

  • ...
 2
 318

Chapter 11: Rocky Relationships

Changeling Perspective: Thorax(Canon Character)
Faction: Wanderers
Year 18 WT

What does one do when your journey is over? You sit down and contemplate. You think about the good and the bad, the tragic and the joyful, but most importantly, you think about life.

I only had a single day left in my journey. When the moon hits it's highest point, the 148th group can return. I always have wondered how may fellow wanderers have done with their journey. I trudged through the snow to a tree to shelter while the moon rises. I made a spot for me to sleep comfortably and lay down. My black carapace shell thunked against the frozen ground and I slowly closed my green insectoid eyes.

I dreamt of the first day out of The Last Hive.

*7 Days Prior*

I waved a hoof to a travel mate, Ebony, before heading off in the direction of some snowy pine trees. We were told nothing of the outside and what it might contain, we were only told to hinder the ponies with their futile war. So I decided to find some ponies and hinder the buck out of them!

After a few hours, I thought a glimpsed an end to the endless trees. I charged forwards on shaky legs in desperation to see anything but trees. After a few steps, I tripped on a rock. I went down hard and unfortunately for me, I was standing next to a cliff.

Now I didn't realize at the time, but that rock changed the whole war and my perspective on ponies.

I yelled as I failed to get my snow covered wings, buzzing. Instead of flying away to safety, I bonked on every rock, tree, and bush on the way down. I cursed as I hit a tree with such force, that there was an audible crack. I groaned and looked back where I came from and saw the dizzying height that I fell. I threw up, which I didn't know that Changelings where capable of.

"Boulder says you need help. Do you need help?" A calm voice drifted up to me. I groaned as I shifted over to the side, ignoring the pain in my abdomen. Below me, there was a ledge that jutted over a dizzying drop that lead to a chasm. Standing on the ledge was an impassive grey mare holding a small rock in her left hoof. I gulped and nodded. She casually struck a part of the cliff with a backhoof.

Nothing happened for a second then the whole tree started rumbling. I yelled out as the tree started moving towards the chasm. I gathered my wits and quickly jumped off before splattering on the floor below. I panted as I looked around at my scenery. It was drop-dead gorgeous.

Then I froze. I slowly turned to the mare that saved my life. She had grey mane bangs and violet eyes. Her face still impassive. I tilted my head wondering why she hasn't attacked me yet, or better yet, left me to die. So I voiced them out loud.

"You needed help and Boulder was willing to give it, after all it is Hearth's Warming Eve. Have you by chance, seen any labradorite? I want to give it to Boulder as a gift."

I just stared. It took some time to get my had back to place and slowly shook my head. Who is this mare? Why did she name her rock? "What is Hearth's Warming Eve?"

"A pony celebration where the spirit of giving is enacted over Equestria, presents exchanged, songs sung, cider drunk, but most importantly ponies having fun. You don't have that?" That calm face really disturbed me. What I wouldn't give to see that again, as if I hadn't done enough.

"We...Changelings, uhhh...don't have celebrations. But does this Hearth's Warming eve thing still happen because the war and stuff?"

"No. There hasn't been a proper Hearth's Warming for 9 years, Boulder counted," she held up the rock as if to prove her point. I nodded politely.

"So what is Heath's Warming Eve exactly? Why aren't you in the war?"

"I'm not in the war because I've been shunned," I thought I saw a little tear form, "Hearth's Warming was invented to prevent fighting between the pony tribes. The fighting brought the Windigos and they brought eternal winter and disharmony. Why the Windigos aren't here though is anypony's guess. Boulder thinks it's because of the lack of magic."

"Umm...ok?"

*Present*

I woke up with a hiss. Something was prodding me. I glanced around with an angry glare and found nothing. I wearily looked up to the heavens and saw that the moon was still not at the highest. I shook my head and pulled out a rock from my saddlebag. I stroked the rock as I lay back down. I glanced around one more time before closing my eyes again.

*5 Days Prior*

I was still with the grey mare. She informed me that she had no home and her name was Maud Pie. After saying her name, she looked at me intently, probably the closest thing to emotion she expressed, when I didn't react, she turned impassive again. She didn't seem bothered that I was a changeling, then again, she doesn't seem bothered by anything.

The two of us were walking along the small ledge, occasionally talking about things, but I didn't have much to talk about and Maud didn't want to talk, so it was pretty quiet most of the way. The trail finally ended at a cave. Maud trotted in without a second glance. I followed wearily, caution in my hoofsteps.

I yelped in surprise when Maud pulled out a torch and lit it. I had no idea where she got that as she didn't have any saddlebags, she wasn't a unicorn and even if she was, there is no magic in Equestria. She gestured for me to follow, so I did. It got darker and darker, the further we went in. Soon it became so dark that we couldn't see anything besides the torch's embers. Then the grey mare blew it out. I yelled to bring it back, but Maud's hoof shushed me.

The sky lit up.

I gasped in awe as the cave's walls and ceiling glowed brightly with different colors. The most prominent color was blue, strangely enough. The mare threw Boulder at the wall with barely any force. I tilted my head confused, then a bunch of gems fell out of the walls and ceiling. I spluttered as a bunch of said gems fell onto me.

"Apologies, I am not used to working with other ponies. Boulder is sorry too."

*Present*

I leapt up onto my hooves, wondering who keeps on interrupting my sleep. My eyes turned to slits, hoping to find the perpetrator. I even swept my hooves back and forth in anger. I hissed in frustration before plopping back down and closing my eyes.

*2 Days Prior*

Maud and I were digging away some silt around some boulders. I explained to Maud why I was out in the wild with shame. She only nodded and said she would help with of course no expression. I told her that she didn't have to but she insisted. After another day, she came up with the idea to let loose a bunch of rocks onto the ponies below. I thought about it and agreed. In the hour, we got to work, digging the gravel around the rocks so it would be easier to push.

After another 2-4 hours, we were done. Maud aimed with Boulder and I wisely stepped back. She threw it with little force and to be expected, the boulder got pushed. It went rolling down the hill with such velocity that it shredded any trees that got in it's way.

I watched with varying degrees of emotions, glee, horror, nervousness, respect, but mostly guilt. I said so to Maud and she just nodded and trotted away. I pondered before trotting after her. Then the creaking started. That was truly the first time I saw true emotion on her face. Maud looked at me with downright fear. Then a snap caught my attention. A large tree hurtled towards me at untold speeds. I heard a cry, and saw Maud charge towards me.

Time seemed to slow as she stretched her forehooves towards me knocking me backwards. Before I could register anything, the tree slammed into Maud. She let loose a strangle scream as the log shredded her grey coat. I yelled out her name, but the log's momentum carried her off the cliff.

*Present*

I stuck a hoof when I woke up. A squeal. I opened my eyes and peered down at my assailant. A small filly. I stretched out my hoof as a gesture of peace and smiled at her. She looked at me with a curious glance before sneezing. I blinked, realizing that the cold is bad for young ones. I looked at the moon again, way past midnight. I didn't even look back, I picked up the peach filly with my weak magic and trotted away.

*Somewhere Else*

A grey hoof stepped near a rock. The pony looked at the inscription: Here Lies Maudileena Daisy Pie. She Saved My Life. On top of the somewhat fresh mound was a blue mineral bouquet. A single tear fell from the pony's cheek onto the crystal flowers.

Author's Note:

My little contribution to the holidays. Yes, this story was last minute.
HAPPY HEARTH'S WARMIN' EVE Y'ALL!!!

I do not regret that pun. I WILL NOT AND SHALL NOT LEAVE. DEAL WITH IT FOOL! BWHAHAHAHAHAAA. I love the spirit of giving, I give out cringe and you can't do nothin' 'bout it! After all, Santa and Satan are really basically the same thing.
mmm...I think the champaign is getting to me.

As you read through these chapters, you'll find characters that somehow still have their magic, I can't explain how this is, beside the fact that I thought that they should still have their magic. I know, breakin' my own rules. What can I say? I like breaking rulers.

Kudos to Edgy Boi, who actually did help me with this chapter. Chen666 also helped me, a good friend who made me ponder about things that have no meaning whatsoever.
Kudos to the team at EquestriaDaily for just being great. Thumbs up!