• Published 7th Oct 2021
  • 784 Views, 39 Comments

Chained to the Plow - daOtterGuy



Big Mac becomes the patriarch of Sweet Apple Acres after his parents and Granny Smith pass away.

  • ...
10
 39
 784

Romantic Defeat

It was a sunny day in Ponyville. The market was busy with ponies in the middle of their afternoon shopping, and the temperature was pleasantly warm.

This was irrelevant to Big Mac as he was focused on watching Thunderlane while he went about his weather duties.

Specifically, his flanks.

They were, in his opinion, perfectly sculpted. Toned and bouncy enough that Mac wanted to test it with the throw of an apple.

Thudnerlane had a model physique. He had been fit all his life, but he had developed a layer of thick, corded muscle from years of farm work with Mac.

His wings were obsessively neat and beautifully arranged into a splay of ordered feathers. Mac had never cared for other Pegasi wings, but with Thunderlane, he wanted to brush up against them.

His eyes. Mac could lose himself in those amber pools.

And all of this had caused Mac to be very confused as he had never once thought of Thunderlane like this.

Sure, Mac had an errant thought or two over how attractive his best friend was — there was a reason Thunderlane had a long dating history — but he’d never been so focused on his appearance before.

Before now, Mac hadn’t even been aware he was attracted to Stallions.

Before now, Mac hadn’t even been aware he could be attracted to anypony.

He’d had crushes before — Cherilee came to mind — but they were all romantic in nature. A short wave of affection that lasted for all but a scant few moments before it passed. He’d never had such… debased thoughts about another pony.

Big Mac didn’t even know what had started this train of thought.

Thunderlane had just chatted for a bit that morning with his usual dazzling smile and now Mac couldn’t stop thinking about him.

His thoughts had even taken a turn towards fantasy.

Like what a date with him would be like.

Mac pictured a romantic dinner under the stars on the Acres. A red and white checkered blanket, lit by a single old lantern in the northern part of the orchard that had the best view of the night sky.

They’d drink cider, and eat a bunch of savoury food Mac would have made fresh that day. They would talk, Mac would say a cheesy line about stars being reflected in Thunderlane’s eyes, they would lean their muzzles closer together and…

Mac felt his face flush.

It was a bit much for a stallion with no relationship experience.

But he couldn’t help it!

His mind just kept coming back to this impossible fantasy. Their wedding on the Acres, Mac tending to Thunderlane when he’s feeling sick, and good morning kisses every day over breakfast.

Mac waking up every morning with Thunderlane between his hooves. Hearing the soft beating of Thunderlane’s heart against his. The faint smell of rain storms in his mane. Looking into his eyes as-

“Mac!”

Mac was startled out of his daydreaming by the noise. A quick search showed the source of the voice to be his sister Applejack glaring up at him.

“We’re at the market, ya dolt. Keep your head out of the clouds.”

He looked out the corner of his eye to find Apple Bloom tinkering with some contraption. Seems he was the only one being told off.

He grunted and turned back to scanning the crowds. Applejack huffed and started to sort through the remaining inventory.

Despite the busyness of the market, it was a slow afternoon. Most ponies had bought their produce in the morning to nab the best ones from the bunch, which usually left afternoons as long slogs.

That left the Apple Siblings at the stall with no customers.

Just Big Mac, Applejack and Apple Bloom.

Alone.

“What do you think of me?” He asked.

He regretted the words as soon as they left his mouth.

Applejack and Bloom both turned towards him.

“Whaddya mean, Big Bro?” Bloom asked.

Mac considered dropping it, but decided to pull through since he’d already said it. “Exactly like I said. What do ya think of me?”

“You’re the best,” Apple Bloom replied immediately .

Big Mac smirked and turned to Applejack who was staring right at him.

“AJ?”

Applejack thought for a moment. “I think you're a miserable pony.”

Apple Bloom stared at Applejack with a shocked expression. Mac stayed silent.

“You talked ‘bout that cage thing that night, right?” Applejack continued. “Thinking ‘bout it, I think you made yourself miserable all by your lonesome. Our big brother hero that took over the farm out of the goodness of his heart. How noble of you.”

Applejack spit on the ground.

“Sis!” Apple Bloom shouted.

Applejack ignored her. “Betcha you enjoy your high ground now.” Applejack scowled. “Get to lord over everypony else how morally better you are. Well, Mac. I think you’re more like a swamp. Dragging everypony under so they’re stuck with you. How does it feel to be the water everypony drowns in, huh? Bring everyone down to your miserable level.”

“AJ, what the hay?!” Apple Bloom shouted.

“Language, Bloom,” Applejack retorted.

“Why don’t you watch yours!” Apple Bloom stomped towards Applejack. “That was totally wrong, and you know it.”

Applejack glared at Bloom. “He had it coming.”

“No, he didn’t.” Apple Bloom shoved her snout into Applejack’s with a hard glare. “You’re in the wrong, apologize.”

Applejack held her ground for a moment before snorting. She turned towards Mac. “Fine, I’m sorry.” She narrowed her eyes. “Mac?”

Mac had always wondered what would eventually destroy him. He had presumed it would have been overworking himself, or one of Apple Bloom’s inventions, or even Thunderlane telling him he didn’t want to see him anymore.

Never had he ever considered the possibility that one of his own sisters would manage the task.

He would be more impressed with the sheer hurt Applejack had inflicted if he could breathe through the tightening of the imaginary collar around his neck.

“Mac, what’s wrong? You don’t look so good.” Applejack said.

“You okay, Big Bro?” Apple Bloom asked.

No, he wasn’t. His heart was racing, fit to burst; he was breathing rapidly through his constricted airway, and he could feel his coat become soaked in sweat.

He was desperately clinging to any form of stability in the wreckage of his psyche’s foundation that had been broken by Applejack's remarks.

He had made himself a prison.

And he’d trapped his sisters in with him.

A coherent part of his mind wondered if this was what a panic attack felt like.

In his distress, his mind latched onto the first thing it could think of to save itself.

Find Thunderlane.

Mac scanned the crowd and found him in short order. His panic attack subsided.

Mainly due to the shock of what he saw.

“I’m fine,” Mac interrupted.

Both his sisters looked at him with concern.

“Are you sure?” Bloom asked.

“Yeah.” Mac took a steadying breath. “Let’s pack up and go home. Market’s slow and we probably ain’t getting anything more sold today.”

Applejack glared. “But the day ain’t-”

“We’re going home!” Mac shouted as he rounded on Applejack.

He panted in place as he stared back at twin expressions of shock. Without further preamble he began packing up the cart.

He needed to get away from Thunderlane.

He no longer wondered what a future with Thunderlane would be like.

His mind had done more than enough to fill in the blanks.

Clipped wings.

He’d seen clipped wings.

A future with Mac was a future of being groundbound.

As he continued his work, Mac fought back against the wave of emotion that threatened to overtake him at the thought of the horrible thing he had almost done to his best friend.