• ...
 4
 516

The Death of a Royal

130 years prior to the Badlands Hive invasion of the royal canterlot wedding

Two changeling queens, Queen Metamorphosis, the ruler of the Badlands Hive for the last 1428 years, were waiting by the bed of their dying mother in a chamber of a changeling queen.

"Mother what are we gonna do without you" A small red changeling Queen exclaimed, terrified at the reality of being left alone with just her sister.

Queen Metamorphosis remarked, "Nephrite, Chrysalis, my daughters, you are more than ready; you have each other to seek advice and help from." Weakly, Queen Metamorphosis addressed her daughters.

"Yes, it will work out. We can rule together, just like the ancient royal sisters our mother told us about," Queen Chrysalis said, attempting to sound upbeat as she grinned at her sister.

Queen Nephrite cried and lifted her head, feeling a hoof of chitin beneath her chin. "But without you, it won't be the same you won't be here to make us happy or see us Rule," she continued.

Placing her other hoof on Nephrite's heart, Queen Metamorphosis whispered, "Nephrite even after I'm gone from this world remember and I will always be with you in here," before bringing them back to her side. While waiting for her mother to answer, Queen Nephrite remarked, "Yeah your Right, we will always remember you in our hearts and the memories," and then she realised that her mother was not breathing.

"Mother" Nephrite spoke weakly, her voice breaking before she broke down completely and started crying aloud while her sister gave her a tight hug.

"Let it all out, it's okay, your big sis will comfort you," Chrysalis embraced her smaller sister and said, a little tearful.

In the Changeling Thorne chamber, 113 years later

"My Queens the head love collectors here to see you," Says a royal guard

Nephrite remained silent when Queen Chrysalis ordered, "Send him in."

"My Queens, we are running out of love and aren't getting enough from making our own identities. We need a new way to harvest love. It will be about 16 months before we go completely extinct," the chief love collector remarked, bowing to them, informed them.

As Queen Nephrite remarked, "Thank you for the report, please return to your duties," The changeling gave a nod and departed to resume his tasks.

Afterwards at the Queens' Meeting Room

"I knew this would happen what did I tell you!" With a furious expression, Queen Chrysalis gazed at her sister, who was now wearing a frown.

Looking at her sister determinedly, Queen Nephrite stated, "I know but what we were doing was wrong we can't just replace loved ones it may be effective but I will not reinstate if we do we are no better than the tyrants of old who enslaved everyone."

"Why do you even care what happens to them, they are our prey, we are the hunters as it should be!" That her sister was standing up for the ponies infuriated Queen Chrysalis.

"you know as well as I that I will not support this no matter what and as long as we are ruling together I won't let it be put in service and that is final Sister!" Before going to her chamber, Queen Nephrite said, and Chrysalis simply sighed and looked down.

Queen Chrysalis thought to herself, Have it your way, but if this leads to our species becoming less than 3000, I will take action with or without you.

Nine months later, at Queen Metamorphosis's burial

Nephrite continued, staring at the grave and expecting no response, "Hey mom, it's been bad at the hive lately, our subjects are starting to die by the hundreds and I don't know what to do, Chrysalis thinks reinstating the policy you used but they don't deserve it." However, she did receive a response, though not from the grave.

"I knew I would find you up here," Chrysalis remarked as she landed beside Nephrite and cast a sombre glance at her.

As she looked at her sister, who had been pleading with her to bring back the impersonation act for months, Nephrite said, "What are you doing here? I already told you I'm not reinstating the act no matter what, as long as I am Ruling alongside you I won't allow it to return."

Chrysalis calmly agreed that it is high risk but that it comes with major benefits, telling her sister that she knew of her friend. "I will agree that it does come with high risk but it also comes with high reward seeing as it gives us 4 times the amount of making a new identity which is why I am confused why you won't support it unless is it to do with that Pony you have been talking to behind my back, nephiy" Chrysalis said.

Nephrite stared at Chrysalis, who was a little irritated at her sister for adopting her previous moniker, and said, "Chrysalis, no matter what you say or ask, I won't put the act back into service. It will bring us nothing but pain and suffering in the future when one of our infiltrators is found out and I won't back it as long as I am alive and as long as I am your fellow ruler I will never let it pass into law again."

"I hoped you wouldn't say that nephie" Chrysalis lamented, Why is she using her magic, nephrite thought to herself

"What do you mean by tha-" As soon as Nephrite realised that an anti-magic Ring had been put on her horn and that her wings were bound together by what looked to be a magic rope, she stopped talking.

Chrysalis continued, "I'm sorry, but for the survival of our race there can only be one Queen on the throne," in a low voice that was barley understood before Nephrite realised she was just a few feet from the edge and understood what Chrysalis meant to say.

Nephrite, looking at her sister sorrowfully and aware that her sister already knew this, stated, "So it has come to this just like the Royal sisters of old, the older will live and continue to rule while the other will die and be forgotten, so we are like them just the sides of evil and good are switched."

Voice cracking in the middle, Chrysalis stated, "Please just support the act I don't want to do this please I don't want to lose you as well."

"You already did the moment you decided that chaining me up was the only thing you could do, but sorry sis, unlike the sisters of old, only one will live to be on this plane of existence," Nephrite answered to her sister's bewildered face.

"What do you mean?" Chrysalis spoke haltingly just as she noticed Nephrite begin to move towards the brink of the cliff. Realising what her sister was doing, Chrysalis hurried forward, yelling, "Stop!" at her.

"Sorry, sis," Nephrite said. As she stepped off the cliff, chrysalis fell to her knees and sobbed when her magic rope reappeared a few minutes later, signalling that the Wings they were keeping together had either vanished or had lost all lifeforce.

After sobbing for two hours, she finally said, "I'm sorry." After gathering her courage, she realised that she wasn't the only person responsible for her sister's death. It's all that pony's fault; if she hadn't existed, Nephrite would still be alive, and well, if she hadn't been making friends with her, she reasoned. It's time to get rid of the reason my sister never passed the law in the first place, Princess me-amore-cadenza If it's the last thing I do, I swear to turn your life into Tartarus.

Author's Note:

Might make into a full series if it does well enough

Chrysalis age:164
Nephrites age:148

Pls don't judge too harshly its my first time writing a story

04/03/2024-rewritten