• Published 8th Sep 2012
  • 3,326 Views, 235 Comments

Proxy - Thithle Candytufth



Twilight Sparkle awakens in Canterlot, to her confusion. Deceit and illusion ensue.

  • ...
13
 235
 3,326

Chapter 13: Sweet Music

“Oh, I just remembered,” Twilight said as the smoke cleared around the former saguaro, leaving the same little red apple. “Where’s the nearest mailbox? I have a letter to send.”

“A mailbox?” Lavender said, as she levitated the apple over to her face. She grabbed it and brushed off whatever dust was on it with her hoof. “There should be one on the way to the record shop.” She took a bite, a little juice dribbling down her face.

“Okay. We can drop by for a visit, then?”

“Mm-hm” Lavender mumbled whilst chewing. She swallowed. “I was thinking we could plan to do something tonight, if that’s okay.”

“Oh, sure.”

“Oh, and there are stamps and envelopes in the second desk drawer. I assume you need those.”

“Thanks, Lavender,” Twilight said, as she began to walk towards the hallway.

“No problem.”

Twilight trotted back to her room and grabbed the letter from off of the desk. She opened the second desk drawer as instructed, and prepared the letter for mailing. She returned to the living room, envelope floating before her. “Shall we?”

They began walking down the same route they took the previous day. Lavender pointed out a mailbox on the side of the road. Twilight tossed the letter in, with a well-wish for Shining Armor in mind. Eventually they arrived at the doorstep of the record shop. Lavender trotted in, Twilight following closely behind. “Hi, Bay!” Lavender exclaimed, waving her hoof as she walked forward.

“Oh, back again, Lav?” Bay Breeze said, leaning over the counter. “And Twilight too, I see.”

Solar Flare was at the summit of a stepladder, returning an album to the top shelf. “Oh, hi girls!” Solar Flare turned to see the two mares. He nearly lost his balance, but placed his hoof on a lower step and caught himself. He blushed and scratched the back of his head with his hoof. “How was class?”

“Oh, it went great!” Lavender clapped her hooves together. She wrapped a hoof around Twilight and dragged her close to her, pressing her against her flank. “Twily here is my new T.A.!”

“Really, now?” Bay Breeze brushed her hair out of her face. “You’re a magic enthusiast, then?”

“Enthusiast? Yeah, I guess I am.”

“You two were meant for each other,” Solar Flare said with a small chuckle, stepping down from the ladder. “So, what are you up to?”

“Well, we were in the area,” Twilight said.

“I thought we could maybe have a get-together sometime today. Any thoughts?” Lavender said.

“The weatherpony said clear skies tonight,” Bay Breeze said, “are you into stargazing at all, Twilight?”

I forgot I liked that. “Oh, yeah. I love astronomy.”

Lavender bounced a little. “Me too! Although, you probably could tell.”

“I could pack a light dinner for us,” Solar Flare said, sticking a hoof in the pocket of his overalls, “any preferences?”

“Anything’s fine by me,” Twilight said. This’ll be fun. A night under the stars. Maybe I’ll get a chance to talk to Solar Flare and Bay Breeze without acting like a total spaz.

“Ooh!” Lavender exclaimed. “Flare, do you remember those tartlets you made last fall?”

“Yeah. They’re my grandmother’s recipe.”

“That would be exquisite,” Bay Breeze said. “Seven-ish?”

“Sounds like a plan!” Lavender said.

“I better get started, then,” Solar Flare said, as he began to walk towards the back wall.

Lavender leapt forward. “Can I help? I want to see how you do it.”

“Oh, sure,” Solar Flare said, “Bay, you can handle the storefront yourself?”

“Yeah,” she said, putting her hooves on the counter. “It’s early anyway. I doubt anypony’s in need of a record at ten in the morning.”

"Okay, then. Let me know if you need my help. I'll only be a couple rooms away." He opened the door and slipped into what Twilight assumed was the cottage attached to the store. Lavender followed with a spring in her step.

Twilight and Bay Breeze were left to themselves. Twilight pawed at the ground with her hoof and looked around the room, occasionally opening her mouth to initiate conversation, but exhaling with nothing to say.

The silence between them was filled by music. The particular piece was far different from the light classical of the previous visit. There were no instruments playing, just a filly’s voice. She sung words Twilight could not identify, but in a tone and vivacity that she could. Her energetic voice floated joyously from high to low. There’s something familiar about that singer.

“Hey, Bay Breeze?” Twilight said, stepping up to the counter. Bay Breeze raised her head and adjusted her glasses with her hoof, almost achieving eye contact. “I wanted to know: what’s that music you’re playing?”

“Oh, it’s just some oldies,” Bay Breeze said, grabbing the tape player from beneath the counter and propping it up on the counter. “Why?”

“Well, I could be wrong, but I swear I’ve heard this before.”

Bay Breeze chuckled. “I doubt that, Twilight. You may have heard this artist, but not when she was this age.”

Twilight cocked her head. “What do you mean?”

“This was her first demo tape. Fans of hers have been copying it, tape to tape, ever since it was discovered. Tapes only last so long, you know.”

“Who is it, then?”

“Have you heard of Sweetie Belle?”

Twilight nearly gasped, but placed a hoof over her mouth. Sweetie Belle? Like, Rarity’s sister Sweetie Belle? She listened closer, and the color drained from her face. It does sound just like her. She managed to succeed at music? How could she have this tape? She must’ve died ages ago.

Say something, you dolt.

Twilight snapped to attention. “Um, yeah, actually. I have heard of her.”

“You must’ve just recognized her voice. She’s pretty distinct, even at this age.”

“Yeah. Must be why.”

“Isn’t it amazing? She started out just recording this, by herself. I’m pretty sure she improvised the whole thing.”

It’s amazingly coincidental, if anything.

“Yeah, it’s astounding. How did you find this?” Twilight asked, leaning in to observe the rotating tape.

“You wouldn’t believe it. A distant relative of hers was having a tag sale here in Ponyville, and I just happened upon a box of old tapes. They asked for ten bits for it. I listened through them, and ended up finding this little gem.”

“What a lucky find,” Twilight said, still staring at the glossy black tape rotating about.

“Oh, it’s not just special because of the music,” Bay Breeze said, winking, “listen, at the end of this track. She thought she pushed the ‘stop record’ button.”

There was a little click, then a relaxed sigh from the filly. “Well, that’s over with,” the squeaky voice said. Twilight nearly put her ear to the tape player. She could hear the faint sound of hoofsteps.

“Sweetie Belle? Was that you?” A voice could be heard faintly. Rarity…?

“What?” Her voice cracked. “Well—”

“You sound incredible! How could you keep that from us?” A chill ran down Twilight’s spine. That’s definitely her. That’s… her voice.

“Us? Who else is—”

A loud flurry of greetings played from the tape recorder.

“What?! How did you—”

“Oh, sugarcube, it’s nothing to be embarrassed about.” And Applejack too?

“Yeah! Your voice is super-fantastic!” Pinkie…

“Why didn’t you do this sooner?” Rainbow…

There was a near-inaudible mumbling. Twilight nearly cracked a smile. Fluttershy must’ve talked then.

“Oh, girls, you’re embarrassing her.”

Wait. Is that—

“But, really, Sweetie. You’ve got an amazing talent there.” It is her.

“Hey, wait, is the tape still recording?” There was another click.

Twilight pulled her head back away from the tape. Her lower lip quivered. Tears began to well in her eyes. She turned away from Bay Breeze. I can hear them. They’re talking. They’re here with me, on that tape. I’m really hearing them for the first time. They sound exactly as they did. They’re saying exactly what they should be saying. They’re in there, inside that cassette.

But Celestia was with them. Celestia was the one who spent those joyous days with them, and more than that. You never witnessed this.

That could’ve been me. That was my place to interject and say how wonderful Sweetie Belle’s singing was. But she took it.

That wasn’t you and that shouldn’t be you. You are the pony standing in front of the counter. You’re Lavender’s new friend. And Lavender’s friends are your friends.

“Isn’t that something?” Bay Breeze said, pushing the stop button with her hoof. “Did you know who those voices were?”

I didn’t know them, per se. “No, who were they?”

“Well, first was Sweetie Belle’s older sister, Rarity. Then the rest of the Elements of Harmony, including Princess Celestia herself!” Bay Breeze bounced with excitement.

So regular ponies do know about the Elements of Harmony now. I remember when I discovered them, how obscure they were to everypony. But, I guess that was all part of the ruse.

“I thought I recognized that last voice,” Twilight said. Oh, horse apples. Should not have said that. Why would I know how the Princess sounds?

“Oh, yeah. From the wedding,” Bay Breeze said, “I was almost tearing up when she—”

A deafening crash came from the kitchen. Lavender shouted “I’m sorry!” repeatedly.

Bay Breeze giggled. “So, anyway, you really like this tape, don’t you?”

Like it? It’s past the point of 'like'. “Um, yes. It’s really unbelievable.”

“I’ve really heard quite a bit of it lately. What say I lend it to you?”

Twilight jumped with excitement. “Really?!”

“Oh, it’s nothing, really. I’d like you to get some enjoyment out of it.”

“Thank you so much!” Twilight grabbed Bay Breeze’s hoof and shook it vigorously. Bay Breeze released her hoof from her grip and ejected the cassette.

“Just be careful with it, and give it back to me when you’re done.” Bay Breeze said, her voice adopting an incredible firmness.

“Of course,” Twilight levitated the tape in front of her face. She smiled, seeing that its label was scrawled in marker as if it were an attempt to recreate the filly's penmanship. Is this an olive branch, of sorts? I better not mess this up. I still have a chance with them.