• Published 2nd Aug 2021
  • 4,803 Views, 426 Comments

Twilight's Diamond Daughter - deadpansnarker



After hearing dreadful tales of Diamond Tiara's less-than-ideal home life, A newly-crowned Twilight decides to offer her a whole new start. But will Diamond be happy with Twilight, or will her real parents get their act together at long last?

  • ...
16
 426
 4,803

Chapter Nine Part 1: My Fair Filly.

“Aww, Princess Twilight; do we have to do this right now? This is way past my usual bedtime, I still have to get used to my new bed, and you won’t even let me have a late night snack to help put me to sleep…!”

“Well, if you hadn’t pinged half your fresh salad at Spike instead of eating it like you were supposed to, maybe you wouldn’t still be half-famished. Honestly, why I ransacked the whole castle to find you those ingredients, I don’t know. Anyway, in answer to your question, yes it is important we have this filly-to-mare chat now you’re living here, because…”

“...’Because’ you’re a boring old royal windbag who likes the sound of her own voice, right? You’re just like Mommy! Minus the ‘royal’ part, of course. Geez, I don’t know why I thought coming here would be fun. I mean, I like the instant service, and I love my new room… but right now I’m getting as many lectures and punishments as I got back in Ponyville!”

“Being asked to clear your plate after a meal is not a ‘punishment’, Diamond; it is simply a polite courtesy to the hard-working kitchen staff who’ll cook for you every day while you’re a guest here! As I’ve told you twice since you came here, you’re not going to be waited on hoof-and-foot! Any more than I’d expect to be! And as for your ‘lovely new room’...

“...What about it?” ‘Yawn’

“It may have escaped your attention, but it is actually my room. I’m only letting you have it this first night whilst you’re settling in because you threatened to bounce the bed-springs into oblivion until you got your way! Why you couldn’t have had that perfectly adequate one across the corridor I especially set up in anticipation of your stay, I don’t know.”

“We Rich’s don’t do ‘Perfectly Adequate’, Princess Twilight. If we don’t expect the best in everything we do, how are we supposed to prove we’re the most important ponies in Equestria? You see, Mother always says…”

“I think both of us could do with a break from the ‘pearls of wisdom’ of Mrs Spoiled Rich.” An increasingly wearisome Twilight rubbed her brow in frustration, realising they’d now been talking for a good five minutes and the conversation had gotten her nowhere. “But what you’ve just said does raise an interesting question. Why do you think you’re important, Diamond?”

“Why?” The pink filly stared at her alicorn interrogator across the now cleared dining table as if she was mentally defective. “That’s easy! Because we’re the wealthiest, most influential family in the entire world, and therefore among the elite society…”

Without the egotistical spiel from your mother, if you please.” Twilight rolled her eyes at Spoiled Rich’s baked-in propaganda inside Diamond’s poor delicate mind, before noticing the filly blinking at her in confusion. “...Oh sorry, ‘spiel’ was supposed to be the word I’d teach you today. It means nonsense speech that doesn’t have much basis in reality. Kind of what your mother taught you there.”

“Y-You mean…” Diamond vigorously rubbed her drowsy eyes as if this newfound revelation was the most startling news ever. “We’re not important?”

“I-I never said that!!” Twilight held back a slight growl of impatience. Maybe this could’ve waited until the morning… but no, it’s best if we just get it out into the open now so it’s something she can think on tonight. “ Every pony and creature is important to me! What I meant was, to hold oneself in such high regard to others is not how we do things in Equestria. Celestria nor Luna ever felt that way, and neither do I. And that’s exactly how I intend on reigning, by never thinking of myself as being superior to others…”

“...Even though you live in a cool castle, with a hundred butlers and like, a thousand guards?” Diamond, despite her rapidly drooping eyes, still managed to raise an eyebrow sceptically. “How can you not feel better than everypony else, when you have so much stuff compared to them? Not to mention, the power to do whatever you want!”

“T-That’s an over-exaggeration, Diamond! For a start, I’ve told you to do plenty of things since you’ve arrived, and have you taken a blind bit of notice? I think we both know the answer to that! Any Princess worth her salt knows that to impose their will upon those they govern isn’t a good ruler at all, but a tyrant! As for all of my personal possessions…”

“Yes?” ‘Deeper Yawn

“Books. That’s like, 95% of what I own. Most of the fancy items you see hanging on the walls were here before, and I plan to have them taken down and auctioned off, with all the proceeds going to charity. I’ve already discussed this at length with Celestia and Luna, and they are in complete agreement. If there’s one thing I want to be remembered for afterwards, it’s that I was accountable for the creatures I was lucky enough to serve. And that means, not putting on such an ostentatious display when they kindly come and visit me in Canterlot Castle.”

“Austin… what?”

“Oh, sorry. That can be your ‘Word Of The Day’ for tomorrow.” In her extended disquisition of trying to get her young charge to understand the difference between using one’s influence for good versus personal enhancement, Twilight had forgotten not everypony was as verbose as her. “Anyway, I can see you’re about ready to nod off now, so…”

Hurray!!”

“...I’ll just leave you with this final thought.”

Groans.

“Please don’t make that petulant noise, Diamond. I hear enough of that kind of rudeness from Spike, and if I don’t let him get away with it, I’m certainly not going to accept it from a young filly like yourself!”

“Whatever. Let’s just… get this over and done with” Gosh, Spike. If I knew you had to put up with these stupid neverending blah-fests every day I wouldn’t have tortured you so much earlier. I feel for you, you’re far stronger than I’ll ever be…

“...So anyway, where was I? Ah yes. As you know I am an alicorn, although previously I was a unicorn. Both phases though, had one thing in common. You know what that is, dontcha? That’s right, magic! My point is, if I wanted to ‘compel’ you to do everything, all I’d have to do is light up my horn. But I don’t, because that would be wrong. Having power in a more psychical sense can be seen as more-or-less the same thing; just because you can use it to lord it over and force others what to do, doesn’t mean you should. Those in a fortunate position, like you and me, should always seek the betterment of others above our own selfish whims, and… Diamond? Diamond!! Were you asleep, or just resting your eyes? Because I don’t want you to miss the most important part… which is…”

………………

By the time Twilight had reached the climatic part of her patented ‘With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility’ speech (a self-created phrase she’d proudly thought of which had never been used anywhere before) Diamond was already half-comatose with exhaustion, and was in no fit state to ascend the two flights of stairs to her temporary quarters.

Hmm. Maybe I overdid it a bit. Perhaps I should realise, not every-creature is as attentive or as durable as my former students at the School Of Friendship were… Twilight indulged herself in a shameless bit of nostalgia, whilst carefully lifting a snoozing pink filly off the table onto her back. Still, I have a whole nation full of subjects counting on me now, not just pupils who naturally look to a headmare for guidance. And none so important as this resting filly currently perched on my flank, who I suppose I should get off to bed as soon as possible. My bed, that is…

Reasoning that it was only for one night so there was no point in being too indignant about it, Twilight softly took to the air as if on gossamer wings to fly up the couple of floors until she reached the familiar darkened outline of her bedroom. Upon entering, she continued her oh-so-quiet routine by tip-hoofing in and delicately depositing the sleeping pink filly in the centre of the vast covers of her four poster deluxe, making sure she was as comfortable as possible in the process.

It’s a good job I’ve had plenty of practice tucking in Flurry Heart during her many sleepovers here, hopefully my other Auntie skills are just as transferable! Twilight allowed herself momentary satisfaction at a task well done, before noticing Diamond’s still-worn silvery headgear reflecting back her concerned face. Hmm, better do something about that. If it falls off during the night and she ends up hurting herself, I’ll never be able to forgive myself. Nor, will I suspect, her parents.

With just as much finesse as she’d put Diamond to bed, the alicorn gently prised up the filly’s pronged crown without disturbing her nap even a bit.

There, that’s better. I don’t wear my tiara in bed either, so I don’t see why she’d be any different. In fact, I’ll do her a favour before she wakes up tomorrow, and have it properly polished! Won’t she be surprised… it might even start to make her more amenable towards me…

Noticing also that this was the first time she’d seen Diamond without her trademark valuable headwear, Twilight gazed down contemplatively on the still form of her new charge as she breathed softly in the midst of her slumbers.

Funny, without that over-the-top jewellery she looks just like any regular filly. Which is exactly how I’ll seek to treat her as long as she’s staying here. Oh, I’ve got so much to teach you Diamond, if only you’ll let me in. I don’t underestimate how difficult it’s going to be getting used to your new environment, or even how long we’ll have until your parents get your act together, but let’s do our best, and hopefully we’ll both learn something in the process…

A telltale grunting noise from an adjacent chamber which sounded like a drowning mule broke Twilight out of her solemn thoughts. …But I can’t imagine how to deal with Spike’s snoring will be one of them. Some things are just impossible to teach. Why did I put him in the room right across from mine, again? Still, at least I get a break from the din this evening… now, where did I put that sleeping bag…

Author's Note:

Gosh, has it really been two weeks already? It only feels like a fortnight ago at best... anyway, here's the next update. :pinkiehappy:

I am going to give that 1k one-shot challenge another try, then I'll be straight back on this. Lots of good stuff coming up... more for some, than others... :pinkiesad2: