• Published 2nd Aug 2021
  • 4,787 Views, 426 Comments

Twilight's Diamond Daughter - deadpansnarker



After hearing dreadful tales of Diamond Tiara's less-than-ideal home life, A newly-crowned Twilight decides to offer her a whole new start. But will Diamond be happy with Twilight, or will her real parents get their act together at long last?

  • ...
16
 426
 4,787

Chapter Two part 1: Filthy Gets Served

It’d been a hard few months for Filthy Rich, owner and face behind the reputable franchise known as Barnyard Bargains.

For starters, sales were down. Like, way down. At least 30% in fact, at this time last year. Filthy was aware of this, because the latest projection graph resembled a colt falling off a particularly steep mountain. With a lot of peaks and troughs.

Whether this was to do with the new ‘bigger and better’ logo in huge upper-case font being too intimidating, the shortage of certain best-sellers due to a bad local harvest or the recent Farmer’s Paradise store which had just been set up determined to undercut their cheapest prices, things weren’t looking too good at all.

And until he could find a way to set profits back on track, some difficult decisions were going to have to be made which would impact everypony working there.

First, all non-essential services, like the deli counters and free parking, would have to be ditched straight away. In terms of staffing, most of the employees had agreed to take on temporary pay cuts, until business picked up again.

Unfortunately, some redundancies had to be made as part of the overall package… and Filthy would never forget the sense of guilt and betrayal he felt watching some of his most loyal long-standing workers leave the building in tears with their possession-laden cardboard boxes.

To think, most of those ponies have got families to feed. Filthy thought sadly, realising it was all too easy to forget sometimes the struggles of the working class. The worst thing I’ve had to do is cancel our annual vacation so I can turn this franchise’s fortunes around. What’s that, compared to not being able to pay even the most basic bills?

Of course, this led to him being given the hairdryer treatment by his wife (where she basically vented hot air into his face for the best part of an hour) but his mind had been made up. As CEO and head of Barnyard Bargains it was his job to return it to some level of sustainability…

...And besides, it would look pretty bad if he was spotted skiing near Yakyakistan, when so many of his ex-staff were facing a future of destitution and poverty. The paparazzi could be lurking everywhere, and bad headlines are the last thing I need right now with everything else going on.

‘Everything else’ obviously included the stressed-out stallions' current familial woes, and it was with a heavy heart he admitted it was becoming more and more difficult to avoid taking his work mood home with him.

Usually, nopony was better at keeping the two separate. Rich Mansion was looked upon as a sanctuary of peace, a break from the monotonous drudgery of work and a chance to ‘hang out’ with his precious jewel Diamond Tiara.

The anticipation of Daddy-Daughter time was what truly got him through all those boring meetings and tedious stocktaking. Even whilst far away from home, the mere thought of his darling filly galloping up the path to embrace him halfway was enough to put a spring in his step.

That was before all the pressure of the last few months had gotten to him, though. Not just the lack of bits coming in, but also the board of directors openly losing faith in his leadership. He’d even heard the chairpony whisper something about ‘early retirement’ in an off-the-cuff remark before he’d entered the meeting room, and never in his long illustrious career had he felt so vulnerable.

Those ungrateful… do any of those faceless suits really think they could do any better sailing this ship through such uncertain economic waters? I’ll show them. I’ll show them all… that was the moment the formerly mild-mannered Filthy Rich snapped, and resolved to transform himself into the kind of ruthless businesspony no puffed-up bureaucrat would want to mess with.

This meant (as much as he hated doing it) being even more uncompromising with the lay-offs, reducing lots more prices to attract extra customers (hadn’t worked yet, but word-of-mouth would surely get around) and…

...Much longer hours at work, so he could get to the bottom of this current crisis and demonstrate to the board that nopony was better equipped to deal with the situation than the one in post right now.

What would my grandpappy Stinkin’ Rich say, if I allowed his own company that he built from the ground-up to be stolen from us like this? He’d haunt me ‘til the end of my days, that’s what. Whatever it takes, that ain’t going to happen.

Sadly, his solemn vow ‘whatever it takes’ had far more of a profound effect on his life and his loved ones than he could’ve imagined.

This meant not only was he away a lot more often, but when he was at home, his usually calm and clear-headed approach to life had been transformed into an anxious and panicky outlook which caused him to snap at anycreature within earshot at the slightest provocation.

This mostly meant Spoiled, who’d suddenly found herself being answered back at a lot more by her previously weak and compliant husband.

Needless to say, she didn’t take this kind of ‘unacceptable’ treatment lying down… so a war of words eventually developed into a battle of wills, and finally the entire mansion turned into a shooting gallery with expensive objets d’art being used in lieu of bullets.

Before Filthy knew what was happening, things were really spinning out of control. One night, after an especially blatant example of Spoiled’s pettiness, he’d dismissed his entire retinue of servants. Whether he’d hoped to teach her a lesson or show how far he’d go to prove a point, who can say.

What was clear by now though, is that neither side was backing down an inch. And with the rest of his attention firmly focused on the upheaval at work…

It means my precious Diamond isn’t getting the love or support she deserves. I even lose my temper with her sometimes, for no apparent reason. If only there was an easier way to deal with all this, without placing her in the firing line... Filthy thought morosely, as the pencil he’d already chewed to a nub snapped in his mouth.

Yuck! That tastes disgusting! But still better than my home cooking. The sooner I hire the cooks back, the better. I refuse to kowtow in the face of my wife ever again, though. It’s time the horseshoes were on the other hooves. I’ll show her I’m no longer the pathetic milksop I’ve been all these years…!

Filthy’s remorseful thoughts of his daughter’s treatment went out of his head once more, as yet again his internal focus was trained on being ‘tougher’. To both preserve his livelihood at work, and put Spoiled in her place once and for all. It was pretty clear where his priorities lay at the moment...

...But this new ‘confident’ way of thinking could be set to cost him.

Big time.

“Sir, your wife is here…” Filthy’s own secretary Feather Quill strolled into his office, a good less jittery and mumbling than Spoiled’s equivalent.

H-Huh?” Filthy almost jumped out of his seat upon hearing this ‘shock’ news. Usually, Mrs Rich wouldn’t be caught dead inside any of his ‘common’ shops: exclusive boutiques were more her style. “Is the school on fire? Has something happened to our daughter? Does she need more funds… in fact, scratch the other two. It’s definitely that last one. Well you can tell her what I told her this morning: if she thinks she can browbeat me like the doormat I was not so long ago, she can…”

“No, I don’t believe it’s anything like that…” Feather Quill had to suppress a grin at her employer’s unprompted outburst there. There were some who didn’t like this ‘new and improved’ Filthy, but she wasn’t among them. “I think it’s more to do with a parental meeting at the school…”

“With Cheerilee? But why is she bothering me about that now? Parents’ Open Day isn’t until next Spring…”

“...As I was going to say, it’s with Princess Twilight Sparkle. ...I know, I had to double check the details too.”

WHAT?!” The small amount of customers inside Barnyard Bargains glanced in the direction of Filthy’s office with curiosity, while the tillers stopped scanning items temporarily to murmur to each other in whispers.

“Why do you think the boss just…” “Remember who's visiting him.” “Spoiled Rich? Say no more.” “Poor chap. I’d have probably hung myself by now.” “I’d say the odd bit of random shouting is the least he deserves.” “Show’s over, everypony. Now, let’s get back to work.”

For a change though, it wasn’t the stuck-up mare that’d caused Filthy to yell out loud in surprise and consternation.

Why would Twilight want to see me and Spoiled about our daughter, so soon after her coronation? Hasn’t she got better things to do, like run the nation? What could possibly be so important, that she’d go to all this effort to put us in a room together?

But whatever the reason behind the alicorn’s invitation, one thing was for certain: he’d have to attend.

Because one simply doesn’t refuse an offer from the Princess Of Equestria.

Although something at the back of his mind nagged him, he was still sure whatever the ‘misunderstanding’ involving his darling filly was, it could easily be cleared up with a bit of Rich family charm and a quick chat.

After all, she’s a young alicorn fresh to the throne. I don’t think she’d want to ‘rock the boat’ too much this early on in her reign. What could possibly go wrong?

Little knowing of course, that despite recent events, this would be by far the hardest meeting he’d ever be involved with.

And, by far the most personal too.

Author's Note:

From this point on, each chapter will be divided into two distinct parts. Each will hopefully cover all sides and perspectives of the drama that is set to unfold...

...Speaking of which, next part of Ch2 is the big one. Brace yourselves... :twilightoops: