• Published 4th Jul 2021
  • 7,647 Views, 1,197 Comments

Sisters of Willowbrook - Starscribe



After decades of preparation, an ancient cult finally manages to summon two of their dark gods into Equestria. Instead of almighty Alicorns, they arrive as a pair of helpless fillies. To get home, they'll have to play the part...

  • ...
19
 1,197
 7,647

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 44: Sailing Inward

Life aboard the Magna Vale was as far from perfect as Lilac could imagine.

She woke every day the same way, to an early morning bell from Keen Focus. Before she could even get out of her room, they spent over an hour staring at a stupid mirror, giving her all kinds of instructions for cosmetics she would never wear. Lilac learned the difference between foundation and blush and eyeliner and a dozen other things she hadn't even suspected in her real world, let alone this strange realm of magic and horses.

Keen Focus would not let her eat until she was dressed and prepared, right down to the corset under one of the stupid dresses. And if she stumbled or did anything with less than perfect grace, it was back to the beginning of the entire stupid routine.

After a week the tutor finally let her out into the normal decks of the Magna Vale, if only under heavy supervision. She sat in polite parties with the command staff, chatting about shipboard affairs and the dangers waiting for them in the skies ahead. Occasionally bits of gossip reached them, like the expedition team that had arrived in Willowbrook and was doing some strange investigation there.

Of course Lilac could offer no support to those trapped back there. The longer she remained in Keen Focus's grasp, the more she wished to be back home. Celestia's apprentice might murder her as a danger to all Equestria, but at least she wouldn't make her put on a dress first.

She tried to write again—but no sooner had she sat down than Keen Focus appeared from nowhere, with another lesson on penmanship and proper decorum in written communication. Any attempt to write in English only ended with a lecture on "degenerate tongues" and how she should not be inspired by what "lesser creatures" used to communicate.

There was no sense arguing with Keen Focus no matter how insane her statements were. Arguing was unladylike, and would only earn her another few hours prancing around, or styling hair, or singing. Equestria had no end of proper ladylike professions that could be wielded against her like a bludgeon, and her tutor seemed to take special pleasure in inflicting them.

"I don't want to be this way!" she screamed, after her second week. "I'm sure there are perfect ladies who dress in all the right outfits and laugh in the right way and get stallions swooning after them. But I don't care! I just want to study magic in peace!"

She would only dare such an outburst in her own quarters, where there were no others around to see. Her tutor was much stricter when other ponies saw her misbehave.

Keen Focus looked like she'd been waiting for just such an occasion. She puffed herself up, making her delicate way over to Lilac. "If you wanted that, you should've been born a unicorn. Magic is forever beyond you, earth pony. In my day, being a proper lady would be too, and you would be hauling a tractor out in the field somewhere. Thanks to our enlightened princess, we no longer rule that way. So you can be a proper wife to a unicorn stallion. With a few steps to ensure your only children are unicorns as well, we can... resolve this unfortunate bump in the Vale family road. That is your purpose, nothing more."

"I don't care." She wasn't yelling anymore. Simple volume would do nothing to convince Keen Focus, anyway. But she was running out of patience putting up with her commands. If anything, that was more dangerous. "You can't keep forcing me to act this way. I won't do it."

She leered down at Lilac. "Then you will not leave. You could use a few moments—perhaps two days, or three. I will return with food, then. We will see if you're in the mood for an apology."

She spun on her heels, marching primly out the way she'd come. She didn't even slam the door, just shut it gracefully, then sealed it with a click. Locked.

Lilac retreated from the door, preparing to charge. She had powerful earth pony magic flowing through her, enough that she had nothing to fear from such an insignificant barrier. She could crush that to kindling! Maybe if she smacked that unicorn once or twice, she would understand why it was so unwise to torment her.

"Child of Desolation," whispered a tiny voice, barely audible to her. "You've already found yourself in an unenviable position of torment. Perhaps you should reflect before you fight your way out? Unless you intend to make war on all Equestria, that is."

She blinked, momentarily stunned. She spun wildly, before her eyes settled on a single point. It was the little clay pot, which she had growing near the window. One of the few “luxuries” her tutor had permitted her. Gardening could be a proper habit for someone of her station, after all.

The acorn had grown with incredible rapidity since she planted it, and now stood as a strong seedling of a foot tall, with several wide leaves turned towards the window, and the sunlight beyond.

But what she hadn't noticed was the little creature floating there, with a silvery coat and white mane. It hovered on four transparent wings, with a thin body and oversized antenna.

Many ponies mistakenly thought these creatures immensely vulnerable and delicate—it was an illusion they continued to cultivate, preying on the natural nurturing feelings of Equestrians towards small, cute things. She made no such mistake. Lilac relaxed, taking several deep breaths as she crossed the room. Then she dropped to one knee. Not a curtsey, despite the stupid floral dress she was wearing.

"Saffron, honored for you to meet me. I need you... perhaps now more than ever."

"I felt that," he said, his voice boiling with frustration. He buzzed past her, without regard for her respect. "Where were you weeks ago when something snatched your name away, child? Don't you know you've only got one of those left? Barterin' with outsiders, I tell you. Madness."

Once she'd been bowed for long enough, she finally rose. She shook out her mane, violently enough to dislodge the delicate bands, and spread a little cloud of powder around her.

She coughed and spluttered, then just lifted a towel, wiping the slime from her face. "I felt... I knew it was bad," she said. "But it wasn't supposed to happen. It was a scry. I didn't make deals with Outsiders."

He was suddenly directly in front of her, looking furious. "Don’t think I came all the way here, crossin' through that miserable little forest you grew from ancient oak, to hear you say such things. Lilac Empathy, that ain't a statement of pride in my student. At least if you told me you'd gained some terrible power over life and death, I might've thought it was worth it. But here you are, saying you got tricked, got nothin' for your trouble. Is that why you're dressing up like a clown? You certainly look the part."

She squirmed under his gaze. Then she twitched, freeing her shoulder from the dress. She yanked the whole thing off with her mouth, tossing it angrily aside. "I hate it, Saffron. I'm a prisoner here. They torture me with it every day. What do I do?"

"What did you do?" he asked. "First thing about a prison is knowing the sentence, young filly. Was it the reason I'd punish you, thinking you were apt for traffic with the Outer Gates?"

She nodded glumly. "More or less."

Something whipped against her face, a faint smack from a tiny hoof. It still hurt, far more than little hooves should be able. "You've been training with me for how many years, and you speak like that? Try again."

"My mother sent me away so the Equestrians wouldn't find me. They sensed my magic, somehow, and... sent a team into Willowbrook to look for evil. Then my adopted father got wind, and sent a tutor along to make me a useful tool while I'm out here, out of Iris's protection."

"Better," he said, approving. He landed on the dresser, beside several discarded pieces of jewelry. "Seems to me you're where you belong then. Equestria's eyes are open wide, and their axes cut sharper than they look. Whole kingdom feels like a party of love and friendship, but look around you, apprentice. World is full of dangers, and here Equestria is, surviving them all. They're meaner than they look. Iris Vale is a wise mare, for a unicorn."

Great, even my magical teacher thinks I deserve it.

She slumped to the floor, groaning. "I didn't try to summon anything, Saffron. I was just trying to scry, and somehow it got through. I asked Iris how I screwed it up so badly, and she wouldn't tell me! I checked the scry—it's exactly like the ones ponies would use for searching the safe realms. There's no reason it shouldn't have worked."

When he spoke again, it was from far closer. "There's a reason they call the Gates forbidden, Lilac. Got a sorry story to tell—there's no way to stop bits and pieces from the void crossing over when you leave the way. A little magic fades into that opening, lost forever. It bridges the gap, then across you go. Inevitable."

She made another unhappy sound. Yet every pony she had ever spoken to repeated more or less the same story—she should never cast spells beyond the Outer Gates, no matter how perfect they seemed. There were no exceptions, no advanced lessons, and no valid excuses. "You mean I didn't do anything wrong?"

"Your life is full of wrong moves, little Lilac. That's the beauty of a life. No perfect flowers grow in all the forest, yet each one smells as sweet. There's no way to stop the void from finding your magic. There are techniques, ways to decide what comes through. That's what your mother did, calling you."

"I'm nothing like... that thing," she whispered. Her stomach twisted, and she could've sworn her quarters grew darker, though the candles still burned, and the sun still shone from outside. "I know you said we come from the same place, Saffron. But we're nothing alike. That thing was... horrible. It corrupted the ground just by walking on it. It made me sick to look at. It completely scrambled my friends' memories! Only Charlie remembered anything at all..."

"The little firefly's name is Charlie, then?" Saffron floated past her. "Would be if you'd let us make it so. Leave her in the forest a time, and she'll never fly too far for you again. If it's her you wish to keep close."

She hissed under her breath. "No, Saffron. That's not what this is about. Charlie is—Firefly is fine, I hope. She doesn't have the same magic I do, and by now she got my letter. I'm sure she's keeping herself out of the Equestrian eye."

"Yet she does teach you a valuable lesson. You remembered, and she remembered—yet the ponies who were with you did not. Do you wonder why?" This time, he didn't wait for her response. "You traveled from the same forbidden shore as that abomination. Its numberless conclaves are not mapped, so it could be that your fraction has some semblance of order. It does not matter. You've seen the consequences. Now you feel them, with manacles of silk."

She grunted once, kicking the dress away from her. "What am I supposed to do not to go crazy here, Saffron? That unicorn teacher... I'm going to push her off the ship. Why don't you turn her into a bug, then maybe she won't torment me."

"Quality material is required. We cannot spin dross into daisies. Perhaps if you wish to be doing something else, you should?"

He nodded towards the wall, and a heavy metal grate set into the wood. She'd barely looked at it before, except to feel the occasional current make its way out when the ship got too cold. They were simple climate control. "Practice concealing yourself. Make yourself so valuable to the other members of this ship that your tutor's commands are ignored. Either that, or flee with me to the forest, and risk your mother's wrath. Your choice."

Lilac considered. A smile slowly formed on her lips—there was a plan here. She would not have been bold enough to dare it, a few weeks before.

"I'm not going to put on those dresses again. But... maybe I could dress up like someone else."

PreviousChapters Next