• Published 12th Mar 2021
  • 2,228 Views, 195 Comments

You're Being Hugged, Harry - David Silver



A foal is found lost in the snow, the tsuki, warm-hearted rabbit folk, take him in just long enough to realize he may belong to the ponies nearby. His name is Harry, and his fate was knocked a little off course.

  • ...
14
 195
 2,228

36 - Nothing For You There

Ron came only once, and was kind of cagey about what he even saw. "Not going back there, we'll get caught." He ribbed Harry. "And not all of us have a fancy cloak, hm?"

"It isn't the cure for everything." Harry sighed as he nudged against Ron. "And what'd you see?"

"None of your business." He shoved back against Harry. "It weren't your parents."

"No? So what'd you see?" Harry tried his best piteous expression.

Ron was not impressed. "Ain't your business. But not that, and ah ain't going back, thank you kindly."

But Harry wanted to go back, so he did, creeping along under veil of invisibility to the room that held the mysterious mirror.

He wasn't expecting to find someone there. Dumbledore was waiting as if he knew to expect company. Though Harry tensed, Dumbledore didn't seem mad at all. "Good that you've come." He swatted his equine student on the shoulder. "But you shouldn't come back here."

"S-sorry, sir..." Harry pinned his ears back. "You're not mad?"

"Worried is a better word." He kept himself between Harry and the mirror. "Subtly dangerous thing. Men have wasted away before it, not knowing if what they have seen is real, or even possible. It shows what you want, and that's a dangerous thing to show to anyone."

Harry glanced longingly past Dumbledore toward the mirror. Just one more glimpse couldn't hurt...could it?

Dumbledore seemed to read his thoughts. "It's a treacherous hope, my boy," he said kindly. "Best to leave it be and focus on the present."

He turned Harry gently back toward the door. But Harry hesitated.

"Sir...can you tell me what you see?"

Dumbledore smiled wistfully. "I? I see myself holding a pair of thick, woolen socks. Winter plays havoc on these old feet. One can never have enough socks."

Harry gave him a skeptical look. Somehow he doubted that the greatest wizard alive had such mundane aspirations.

Dumbledore chuckled. "We all have our secrets and dreams, dear boy. Now come along, your friends will be missing you."

As Harry reluctantly allowed himself to be led away, he peered back over his shoulder. Just for an instant, the mirror seemed to shimmer alluringly behind Dumbledore's shoulder.

Harry wrenched his gaze forward again. Dumbledore was right - nothing but heartache lay behind that glass. His true family was here, with him now at Hogwarts. Wasn't that enough?

Still, even as he hurried back toward laughter and firelight, the mirror's phantom image lingered in Harry's mind. Whatever Dumbledore had seen, Harry suspected socks were only part of that complicated story.


The next Quiddich game was on the horizon. Harry heard Snape was refereeing it, but had a challenging time becoming completely invested. "I should be up there, playing," he grumbled instead. "I was good at it!" He kicked a rock. He imagined himself doing just that, chasing the snitch avidly.

What if he wasn't a unicorn? It wasn't a thought he entertained often. He liked being a unicorn. But if he was a human... Then they'd let him play. He'd be just as fast and skilled, he bet, just without magic, which he wasn't using during games anyway!

Why, with clever fingers, that'd make up for unicorn grabbing anyway, yeah. His mind was flooded with those wonderful ponderings, not even realizing he was, in that moment, touching universes, other realities where a very human Harry was playing and winning the game. "That would be great..."

But he wasn't human. He was a unicorn. And he didn't want that to change, ultimately. "Stupid rules..."

"Hey." Ron sat beside his brooding friend. "You still thinking about that mirror?"

Harry huffed. "No...well, maybe a little. I was just imagining if I was human." He gestured skyward. "I could be up there playing Seeker."

Ron followed his gaze. "I get that. Really stinks they booted you." He nudged Harry gently. "But hey - human or unicorn, you're still Harry. My best mate. And that's what matters to me."

Despite himself, Harry smiled. "Thanks, Ron."

"And between you and me, their new Seeker's got nothing on you." Ron pulled a face. "Flies like he's got sticks for wings. We're doomed without you out there!"

Harry laughed, some gloom dispelling. "Guess I'll have to cheer extra loud to make up for it."

"Now you've got it!"

As they headed for the arena, Harry stole one last look at the distant players. The What Ifs and Maybes still plagued him. But Ron's steadfast friendship anchored Harry in the here and now.

One day he might make peace between his two natures. Until then, he had amazing friends beside him - and for now, that was enough magic for anyone.

Though he wasn't there to see it in the final moments, a fight broke out among the players. The game had a winner despite it. The snitch had been caught on their side. All very good, but news Harry only heard about third hand.

What he did notice was Snape slinking away towards the Forbidden Forest. The others were busy watching that very match and its aftermath, so he went alone. Lifting on wings of his own magic, Harry darted after Snape as stealthfully as he could. Darting from cover to cover, he pursued the secretive teacher

What was Snape up to? Why the Forbidden Forest? Harry needed to know.

Harry floated silently between the gnarled trees, keeping Snape's sweeping black robes just in view. The forest darkened rapidly as they moved deeper inside, but Harry conjured a faint light to see by, hoping the dim glow wouldn't give him away.

Talking? Harry peeked out from around a large tree to see Snape talking with another person in stern and angry tones. "Have you found a way past it?" angrily demanded Snape. "That damned three-headed dog has stood in our way for too long."

"Doing what I can." Harry leaned in for a better look at the other person. "Look, this is--"

"--I don't want to hear it." Snape glared hotly at Quirrel. "Do as you are told."

"The Philosopher's Stone has waited this long for us." Quirrel dusted at his shirt. "It can wait a little longer."

"It has... But that doesn't grant me that patience. Your excuses tire me."

Harry recoiled, quiet for floating in the air as he was. "Blast it all," he whispered, darting away from the two.

He rushed back to school and gathered his friends, Ron and Hermione. "I saw Snape, out in the forest. I think he's trying to pressure Quirrel into getting past the dog, to get a 'philospher's stone'."

Ron and Hermione exchanged startled looks.

"The Philosopher's Stone? But why?" Hermione began pacing. "That stone can transform any metal into pure gold. It also produces the Elixir of Life which makes the drinker immortal. No wonder Snape wants it - that stone could make him incredibly powerful..."

Ron snorted. "Old Snapey's already got a big enough head. Don't need to be making it any bigger."

"This is serious, Ron!" Hermione shot back. "If Snape gets that stone... We have to tell Dumbledore."

Harry hesitated. "I'm not sure Dumbledore will believe us over Snape. We need evidence that Snape is up to no good first."

Hermione raises a finger. "Let's start this calmly. We know who owns our big dog friend. Let's talk to them."

Harry clopped his hooves excitedly. "Banger of an idea. Hagrid's a nice soul, and he likes us plenty as it is. He won't get on our necks if we ask nicely."

Ron nodded in firm agreement. "Alright. First stop, Hagrid's place. Let's see what we can find out."

With the three agreed, they headed over to Hagrid's. He opened the door as they knocked on it. "Who's come to visit me so late in the day." But he smiled, realizing who he was talking to. "Why, hello there. Mister Potter, you've brought the whole herd along with you."

Harry chuckled at that, slipping inside with the others. "Don't call them that, Hagrid, sir. They're friends, not horses."

Hermione and Ron slipped in, Ron closing the door behind himself. "Thanks for letting us in, we just had a few questions if you've a moment?

"Questions, eh? Well c'mon in outta the cold." Hagrid ushered them toward the fire's glow. "Jus' takin' the kettle off. Fancy a cuppa?"

Soon they were all settled around Hagrid's enormous table, steaming mugs in hand. Hagrid took a bracing gulp of tea then smiled at them over his tangled beard. "Alrigh' then - what's on yer minds?"

The friends traded glances. Finally Harry spoke up. "We were just wondering if you could tell us anything about the Philosopher's Stone."

Hagrid choked mid-swallow. "Now, why would yeh ask about something like that?" But under their expectant gazes, he shifted. "Can't tell yeh much...very secret Hogwarts business, that stone."

Ron leaned forward eagerly in his seat. "But someone's trying to steal it - we heard Snape and Quirrell planning to get past Fluffy."

"Codswallop!" Hagrid huffed. "Professor Snape is helpin' protect the Stone, he is. An' I'd trust him and Dumbledore with my life."

His frown faded to worry though at their crestfallen faces. What had they gotten mixed up in now? "There's nothing but trouble that way. I don't want to see the lot of you gettin' too deep in that."

Harry rubbed a hoof along his gleaming neck. "Sir, sorry... off-topic... But it's... a mite hot, if you don't mind my saying."

The others took note of that, confirming the inside of Hagrid's home was a bit warmer than one would normally expect.

Hagrid looked nervous at that. "Just a little sniffle, thought I'd chase it away with some heat." He laughed tensely.

Hermione smiled at the gentle giant. "We don't want you getting sick, so keep it as high as you need it." She gently patted his shoulder. "But we do want to know, is the stone safe? We don't want it." The other two shook their heads quickly. "We just want to be sure it's protected and safe."

"It better be! So many wizards, they came together, making fer sure ah that!" Hagrid tapped a fist on the table in front of him. "Not many things have so much teamwork involved."

"Really?!" Hermione pressed him with a soft smile and her charms. "Sounds impressive. What'd they do?"

"Well, you see..." Hagrid worked his hands together. "Team effort, I meant it. First, you have Fluffy. Fierce but lovable pooch. He's the first line. But there's enchantments, several of them. Professor Sprout, Flitwick, McGonagall, Quirrell, and Snape, all worked together to get them up. That's why I said Snape was doing his part to protect it. Why would he be trying to get it now?"

Hermione patted Hagrid's hand gently, though inwardly her thoughts raced. "You've set my mind at ease, truly. Thank you."

Hagrid beamed, puffing his chest out. "Don' mention it. Tha's what I'm here for."

As Ron helped Hagrid tidy the mugs, Hermione drew Harry aside. "Something doesn't add up. Hagrid is right - if Snape already helped secure the Stone, why try stealing it now?" Her eyes narrowed. "Unless...his enchantments have a flaw only he knows about. A backdoor!"

Harry nodded grimly. "So he makes himself look helpful while having a way to get the Stone whenever he wants."

"We need to investigate his protective enchantments without him knowing." Hermione pursed her lips. "And I think I know just who to ask..."

Moments later they were hurrying across the frosted grounds. Harry grinned as he spotted their destination - a cozy cottage with a winding tendril of sweet-smelling smoke.

Hermione rapped firmly on the heavy oak door. "Professor Sprout? So sorry to bother you this late, but may we come in?"

Somewhere behind that sturdy door came an answering cheerful hum. It seemed their herbology teacher was happy to entertain some spontaneous late-night guests...