• Published 12th Mar 2021
  • 2,228 Views, 195 Comments

You're Being Hugged, Harry - David Silver



A foal is found lost in the snow, the tsuki, warm-hearted rabbit folk, take him in just long enough to realize he may belong to the ponies nearby. His name is Harry, and his fate was knocked a little off course.

  • ...
14
 195
 2,228

28 - Practice Makes Perfect

Harry was hovering in mid-air, not through his magical powers, without his horn lit up and not activated. He was floating thanks to the broom that was thrust up along his underbelly, providing the propulsion as he looked around. Unfortunately, he had no chance to savor the sights and take in the beauty of the area. His eyes lit up with joy as he spotted what he was searching for and he let out a muted gasp of delight.

The practice match was intense as each team frantically tried to score points and gain the advantage. Yet, Harry seemed to be oblivious to the situation. He had one particular job that he needed to complete. If he managed to catch the snitch, he would secure a whopping 150 points for his team, almost guaranteeing them a victory. It seemed like it would be an easy task, but unfortunately it was not as simple as it appeared.

Taking a sharp turn, he quickly ducked beneath the broom of a player who was soaring past him and, hoof outstretched, he came up to reach for it. He was determined to reach the snitch and with a great effort of his magic, he pulled it back to him with a victorious cry.

The whistles blew continuously, causing the teams to cease their movements and remain there. Their coach's booming voice echoed through the air with the news that the snitch had been caught. "Come down."

As the two teams lowered themselves to the ground, the chatter between them grew louder and more animated. Jubilant and proud, those on Harry's side patted him on the back and yelled out in celebration of success. They could see the golden snitch pressed against his hoof.

"Have to work on your left turns." The coach moved among them, calling out their takes. "Far improved on your blocks. Keep an eye on that acceleration. Won't do you good if you fall off." He arrived at Harry and nodded. "And, you. You caught the snitch."

Harry held up his hoof, snitch attached. "Right here, sir!"

"I see." He took the golden snitch and turned it around. "Mister Potter, I saw how you got it." Harry didn't seem to see why that would be a problem. "You can use magic, but there are rules about when you can not use magic. For instance." He drew his wand and waved it at one of the players. "No spells on other players."

"I wouldn't do that, sir!" Harry shrank at the idea. "That'd be cheating."

"It surely would." He turned the wand on Harry. "You can use it on yourself, that's fine."

"Y-yeah... Sir, I didn't use magic on any of them, promise." His lip trembled faintly, detecting the direction the conversation was going. "Honest."

"You may not cast any spells on any of the four balls in play." He brought up the golden snitch. "While this one may have wings, it's still one of the balls in play, Mister Potter. You used a spell to take hold of it."

"I didn't cast a spell. I didn't even have my wand out." He dug out his wand and showed it off. "See, safely tucked away, sir."

The coach reached in and grabbed Harry right by his horn. "You have a unicorn hair wand built in, Mister Potter. I saw it glowing just before, and the snitch did as well. You used magic."

"But..." Harry sank to his haunches with a defeated grunt. "I wasn't trying, sir. I was just reaching. That's how unicorns reach for things, sir."

The coach let out a weary sigh. "I believe you. However, when we're having an official match, it won't be up to me. It'll be up to referees who don't know you, or how unicorns of your lineage operate. They will see the magic. They will see that you didn't grasp the snitch... Fouls will be called and there won't be much I can do to stop them."

Harry danced from hoof to hoof. "But I want to play... You said I was good at it."

"You are! Perhaps, in some ways, too good." The other players were backing up from the spurned Potter. "Taking you with us risks the whole team being disqualified. You don't want that, do you?"

"No! Of course not..." Harry kicked weakly at the ground with a dismayed whicker of a noise. "It's not fair..."

"It isn't... I'm sorry." He patted Harry's thick equine shoulder. "No foul on you, Mister Potter. You have a bright future ahead of you, and I look forward to seeing how it shapes up." It just wouldn't have any quidditch involved. "Alright, back in the air!" He clapped smartly, getting the teams up. "You, you'll be the replacement seeker!" An excited player rushed in with their broom, ready to take the spot. "Enough drama for one day, let's see some action!"

Harry reluctantly took his leave, his steps slow and weighted down by his gloom. "Mister Potter." He paused, his former coach reaching for him. Did he have a sudden change of heart?! No, he took his broom. "This has to be returned, unfortunately."

With a scowl on his face, Harry lifted off the ground, and his innate magic radiated from him. His anger was so intense that it overwhelmed him in an instant and he uttered, "I don't need it anyway!" in spite.

"Most players do." It was another reason for his dismissal. Turning his back on Harry, the coach directed his attention to the practice game that was taking place. "Good luck, Mister Potter."

Formally banished, Harry left the field of battle he was no longer welcomed to. "Not fair..." He gathered his things from his locker and emerged to find Ron and Hermione waiting for him. "Huh? What are you two doing here?"

Hermione gestured past him to the ongoing practice match that was taking place. "Aren't you supposed to be up there? Ron said watching you do all that was great fun and I thought I'd get a peek."

"And then you walk off the field! Are you alright, mate?" Ron looked Harry over critically, searching for some obvious sign of what made Harry leave.

Harry's laugh was tight and uncomfortable, betraying his true feelings. "Of all the days you could come by... They kicked me off the team."

Hermione's face twisted into a powerful scowl. "What for? I thought you were good. I saw you catch that..."

"Snitch."

"That." She nodded to Ronald's words. "You caught it and they all stopped. That's the end of the game, right?"

Harry shuffled on his hooves, tail lashing with the energy he couldn't get out properly. "It was the end of the game, and my playing. You're not supposed to use magic on the ball, but that's how unicorns hold things... Apparently, he decided the referees would see it and kick up a big stink for the rest of the team, so..."

It filled Ronald with fury as he threw his hand down and clenched his fist in a sign of his rage. "So they booted you for that? You can't even control that! May as well kick me out for 'inhalin' air at the snitch' or something like that. Bunch of--"

Harry interrupted Ron's sentence by tapping him lightly on the arm with his hoof.
"Thanks, but I get it. I hate it, but I get it. The refs aren't my friend, and they aren't obligated to consider my being a unicorn. Most quidditch players are human, by far, and don't have to worry about that."

Ron waved his hand in a gesture of dismissal and let out a scoff.
"Well, forget it then! Who needs that sport, anyway?"

Harry gave a simple but firm answer, "You do." Harry started at a light walk away from the locker room. "Let's not be... bad sports. It's not either of their fault. I'll miss that broom, but I said it myself--"

"What'd you say?" Hermione was at his side, walking alongside him. "They had to give it back?"

"Yeah..." Hary pinned his ears back. "But I don't need it. I can fly on my own." His body shimmering with his magic, he floated from the ground. "Being part magical beast has its perks."

"Not getting tired of that trick," laughed out Ron. "Well, practice's over... That opens up your schedule a little bit, don't it?"

"Actually..." Harry slowed, considering the whole thing. "You have a good point. It was getting cluttered. I can get good grades without working myself ragged trying to keep up with the team."

Having found the bright side of things, they set off, chatting about things that weren't that sport. They had a schoolyear to attend. "Oh, I forgot to ask. Did either of you happen to hear about that strange door?"

Hermione scowled at that. "The one with the dog?"

"Three dogs, technically," reasoned Ronald, holding up three fingers for emphasis. "Nothing here."

"After an extensive search, I did finally find something of interest." Hermione nervously tucked her hands away into the depths of her pockets. "About a hidden stone of power. Good thing we didn't sneak in there or we'd be in all kindsa trouble." She took a leisurely stroll along together in a peaceful silence for a short while. "By the way, Harry... That really wasn't fair. You can't control what you are. You're not the only one being oppressed for what they ended up being."

Upon hearing Hermione's words, Harry tilted his ear, his tail curling up and swaying behind him. "Really? What makes you say that? Who else is being bothered any?"

"A lot of things." She suddenly changed her direction and moved in front of Harry, her shoes making a soft squeaking noise. "You may think you're special, but you're just one of a lot of magical creatures being attacked. Ever meet a house elf before? Poor things, they never get a break..."

"Can't say that I have...?" There were no house elves in Equestria. He'd never even heard of them before... "What are they?"

Ronald couldn't contain his joy and let out a light-hearted laugh. "Really? You come from a world of magic and you never heard of those guys? I'm right surprised at that. Really?"

"Really." Harry turned off towards the dining hall. "Are there any around here?"

Hermione rolled her eyes. "I swear, you have your eyes closed if you aren't the center of it. Of course they're around here. I'll introduce you to a few that're friends of mine. Anyway, really important rock that we shouldn't be touching! That's probably why they have the big guard in front of that door, to keep people out of it, us included."

Harry swerved an ear towards her. "Well, it worked then. Kept us right away."

Ronald laughed in agreement. "Then everything's alright. Let's leave the dog watching things and focus on our own stuff."

They enjoyed a nice lunch, chatting about the latest bits of classwork and spells they'd managed to get a handle, or hoof, on. There was an abundance of laughter, taunting and good wishes among the friends. "I'll bring them around tomorrow." Hermione pushed to her feet. "But, for now, we all have other business. Before classes start, expect me."

"You got it." Harry hopped to his hooves. "I'm... kinda excited. Are they big?"

"Small." She brought her hands a few feet apart. "But full of love and life. Worth getting some respect, even if some people don't seem to agree."

"Well... We not-humans have to stick together." He snorted with a firm nod. "Um, does being half human bother them?"

"I doubt it." Hermione started for the exit. "But they won't see you as a houseelf, which you aren't anyway. Just be polite and don't assume things and you'll be fine."

Ronald waved on the way past. "See you later, alright?"

They had other things to take care of.

Author's Note:

Major diversion point! There's no real way for Harry to play the sport when every move could be flagged as maybe cheating when it comes time for a real game, with referees.

Join the special community of folks who like my stories and/or get your own here at atreon!

Don't want to do an ongoing thing? You could

Join my discord to chat!