• Published 12th Mar 2021
  • 2,228 Views, 195 Comments

You're Being Hugged, Harry - David Silver



A foal is found lost in the snow, the tsuki, warm-hearted rabbit folk, take him in just long enough to realize he may belong to the ponies nearby. His name is Harry, and his fate was knocked a little off course.

  • ...
14
 195
 2,228

38 - Let's Talk

Arnavon reached for the dragon and got bit for it, but he kept his cool. With the feisty lizard dangling from one hand, he brought them in and hugged them with the other, keeping them close as they made soft noises. "I'll take them to the safe place." He turned for the door. "Okay?"

Hagrid watched this happen with a bit of surprise. "I knew you were strong enough, but doesn't that hurt just a little? Little dragon looks like it'll try to bite through you, given a chance."

"I am soft," Arnavon explained with a smile. "Soft but firm. Tilly likes to tell me. It's good."

"Soft but firm." Hagrid scratched his beard, sounding it out. "Not a bad combination of things to be. Arnavon, thank you, for dealin' straight with me. Take them safely, alright, them and you both. They don't take to travel too good, dragons don't."

"I'll be careful."

And Arnavon took flight, dragon in his grasp, already on his way to the new home. With great and powerful leaps, Arnavon was quickly lost to sight.

Hagrid shook his head at where Arnavon had been. "I'll just play along." He went back inside his cabin, ready to claim he had entirely fallen for Harry and his friend's cunning plan. "Now if they don't pull this off, I'm gonna be in a whole heap of trouble."

And yet he was still smiling. He had such wonderful friends, who would be there to catch him if his schemes ever failed.

Arnavon arrived a day or so later, triumphantly displaying his success to Harry and Ron, his injuries having mostly healed on the long journey. Tilly was on him in a flash, hugging him firmly as if the embrace could banish what nips remained on her beloved.

Flurry inclined her head. "But, you did it? Everything is where it should be now?"

Arnavon nodded quickly. "Yep. Everything. It all went according to plan." Several sighs of relief went around. "I'm going to rest. That was harder than I thought it'd be."

"I help." Tilly nudged against him, leading him towards well-deserved rest with warmth and love. "Come on, my Arnie."

Flurry had a slight smirk at that nickname. She and Harry were silent as they left, leaving the pair alone for the moment.

Harry settled onto his haunches, "That takes care of that." He looked to those who remained. "But we have a stone to fetch."

Hermione huffed at that. "We have a stone to protect, you mean."

Harry waved a hoof. "Sure, yes, but we aren't going to protect it leaving it where it is. And you know we have to do this."

Hermione rolled her eyes at that. "You're right, I know you're right."

Ron nodded in agreement. "We should just get to it, rather than standing around and jawing about it. The trick is how. The thing's protected enough to keep Snape away. Maybe we can't get it yet, until we find a way around that."

Hermione rubbed at her forehead. "Let's just figure out what the protections are. Then we'll decide if it's worth the risk."

Ron tossed his hands. "I can't think of a single reason why not to." He glanced toward the door, and Harry.

The three of them nodded and headed out for classes, which hadn't paused for all their scheming. Harry headed to potions, even if he was a little distracted. Being a trained unicorn, he stirred the pot with his magic even as he wrote a letter with a quill in his mouth. "Dear Aunt Twilight, it's been a long time since I reached out," began the letter as he penned it with soft scratches. "But I'm still here, and still learning lots. How's your school been? Do you still teach? If so, do you enjoy it?"

Harry hummed softly as he finished writing, turning to other topics before he tucked it aside and sent off the potion to be graded. "There." He shook himself a little to get back to attention.

With all matters settled, at least for the moment, Harry put all his focus on schoolwork and not getting into trouble. Time passed peacefully, at least until about a week before testing was to begin.

He had been summoned to Dumbledore's office along with Ron. They arrived at the same time, knocking on Dumbledore's door to be let in. "Enter," called the Headmaster, as the door swung open for them.

Dumbledore was sitting at his desk, and Snape was standing before it, talking in hushed tones.

Both turned to face the two as they entered, Dumbledore smiling gently as Snape's expression soured.

Harry stepped up before Dumbledore's desk with a nod. "Hello, um, sir. You called for us?"

Ron stood just beside Harry. "We got here as quick as we could! Sorry to make you wait, sir."

"Ah, it's nothing serious," Dumbledore said. "No need to apologize for your time. But I have some concerns about some...things... that may come up soon, and I would appreciate your honesty with me."

Harry looked to Ron, who nodded. "What sorts of things?" Ron asked.

Dumbledore sighed deeply. "There are rumors spreading that there may be a Dark Lord rising..."

Snape snapped his fingers. "He Who Must Not Be Named," invoked Snape with all the dreadful weight it deserved.

"Voldemort," Harry muttered.

"Don't speak that name!" Snape hissed, reaching for Harry.

Harry swatted his hand away with a glare. "He has a name, he's not going to suddenly spring up just because we know it."

Dumbledore gently pressed his fingertips together. "There is a great power in names, Harry, Ron. Why, with just your names, I conjured you here before me, didn't I? You shouldn't underestimate their power. But, we're getting distracted. Harry, you know more of this dark lord than anyone else."

Harry frowned, wishing he could deny that. "He killed my parents, attacked me, twice now?" He glanced towards Ron for confirmation, who just shrugged helplessly. "Twice, pretty sure. Thank goodness Arnavon was there the second time."

"Thank goodness indeed." Dumbledore let out a slow sigh. "Please, tell us everything you can. Anything may help to prevent this rise to power."

"And save lives." Snape loomed.

Harry bowed his head at that. "Voldemort," he emphasized, ignoring Snape's glare, "attacked me in my room. I don't know why exactly, but I think he was pretty sure I'd be alone, and I mostly was. He didn't know Arnavon could deflect magic as well as he did, and I avoided catching a death curse the hard way."

Dumbledore stroked his beard. "Interesting. The tsukis truly are full of surprises... Though, forgive my presumption, it sounded like there was a but in there."

Harry nodded slowly. "Well, kind of. He left the moment he realized his ambush had gone wrong. But there's nothing stopping him from trying again when Arnavon isn't around, right?"

"Most people don't get more than one chance at revenge," Snape snorted. "But a death eater is more fanatic than most. He might just be stubborn enough to try again." His face somehow managed to sour further. "That's why you got even more company, isn't it? Flurry Heart, your sister, hm? She must have some level of fancy for you, if she's willing to enter school as your pet."

Dumbledore spread his hands. "Then we are in agreement. Let it be officially made a rule that Harry is permitted to have Arnavon or Flurry Heart at his side at all times. All. Times.

"Don't even bother questioning this," Dumbledore said sternly. "If we are to avoid disaster, this is the only path forward that makes sense. Our students are not expendable. Their lives are precious, and we can't afford to gamble them against the possibility that this Voldemort may or may not return."

Snape folded his arms. "I want it noted that I disapprove."

"Duly noted." Dumbledore winked at them.

Harry couldn't think of any good reasons to start questioning the rule in the first place. "If you say so, sir. I'll be sure to keep them close at hoof at all times."

Ron pointed to himself. "What about me? You called me here for a reason, right? If it was just to hear this, I'm sure I've got other things to be doing, like homework."

Dumbledore laughed. "Forgive an old man. Yes, Ron, there is something I would like to discuss with you, privately if I may."

That was a dismissal and Harry knew it. "See you back at the dorm." He nodded to Dumbledore. "Sir." Then Snape, and headed out at a light trot and a swish of his tail.

He found himself alone, walking through the halls of Hogwarts, at least until he heard a voice, speaking as if being threatened. Harry froze, horn glowing as he lifted from the ground with Starlight's flying trick. Having silenced his built-in clip-cloppers, he floated smoothly towards the sounds, seeking their source.

The conversation became clearer the closer he got. It sounded like Professor Quirrell being threatened, angrily exchanged words. The other sounded like Snape. Had Snape been banished along with Harry? That made sense enough if Dumbledore wanted privacy, but why was Snape threatening Quirrell? Harry didn't know, and didn't want to be found snooping on either of them, so he fled away.

It took several minutes, but he did find a secluded nook to settle in. He flopped onto the floor, on his back with all four legs sticking up. He let out a groan, mind spinning as he stared up at the ceiling. "Today's been busy," he sighed out, shaking his head quickly. "Focus." He slowly got back to his hooves as if testing each one in turn. "That was Quirrell... Why would Snape threaten him?"

In truth, Snape threatened everyone, but Harry knew that had been different. There'd been a cold, intent fury in Snape's voice as he talked. But there wasn't much Harry could do about it that point. He'd just have to ask the others about it, later. He trotted back into his schedule and pushed those thoughts aside for the moment.

Late that night, Harry was startled from his sleep by a crash coming from his balcony. He lurched upright and spun to face the source of the noise, breathing a sigh of relief. "I wasn't expecting you back so soon."

Tilly hopped inside with her usual bright smile. "Hello." She closed with Harry to give him a proper greeting hug. "Letter sent. Good owl." She nodded with clear pleasure at the good job she'd done.

"Thanks. I didn't want to send Arnavon." He glanced to where Arnavon was sleeping peacefully. "He did so much, and he's still getting better."

"Yes." She scratched suddenly with a hind paw. "Let sleep. Busy. Still hurts a little. Travel rough." She stretched carefully, rubbing at her hip. "But good! Baby is happy, in safe home. Hagrid says hello, thanks, hug." She made a hugging motion. "Letter sent. Mom happy. Says hi! She send letter. You have new letters, in post box. Post owl say 'Hi!'."

"Aww, that's nice." Harry smiled and relaxed from his startle. "Now it's my turn to help you. What did you get for it, a special treat?" He headed to their table of snacks, idly chewing on an apple as he pondered the options.

"Treat?" Her eyes widened. "What?" She considered the various delicious snacks Harry was tempting her with. "Not want." She pointed at Arnavon. "Want. Help get?"

Harry turned in place back at her. "You two are already betrothed. That's about as gotten as something can be. How much more do you want him?"

Tilly shook her head quickly, ears flopping. "Want! Want time, alone." She gestured between Arnavon and herself. "Time. Hug. Love." She tilted her head to him. "Cuddle, touch, close..." She trailed off with a little shudder. "Dream. In future. Now! Get time."

Harry put it together with a slow nodding. "Oh! Oh, right. You are in love and want some private Arnavon time where I'm not getting in the way."

"Not in way." She pounced Harry, hugging firmly to be sure he knew she loved him plenty. "But want. Alone? Please."

Harry raised a hoof, chuckling gently at Tilly's antics. "Sure sure. You got it. You two deserve some alone time."

Compared to other things going on, making sure his tsuki friends got some alone time felt like a little request.

Author's Note:

Things are happening all around Mister Potter it seems, including hugs. The hugs are the important part.

Join the special community of folks who like my stories and/or get your own here at atreon!

Don't want to do an ongoing thing? You could

Join my discord to chat!