• Published 12th Mar 2021
  • 2,228 Views, 195 Comments

You're Being Hugged, Harry - David Silver



A foal is found lost in the snow, the tsuki, warm-hearted rabbit folk, take him in just long enough to realize he may belong to the ponies nearby. His name is Harry, and his fate was knocked a little off course.

  • ...
14
 195
 2,228

34 - Happy Holidays

The three, Arnavon, Harry, and Ron had the room to themselves. The holidays meant the school was quiet and largely abandoned. But they had each other, so they laughed and played and enjoyed each day with the company of the other. "One thing," cut in Harry. "Where's Flurry? If I'm not going home for the holidays, why is she? The parents went and took her along without me?"

Arnavon lifted his ears, briefly. "No no! She's spending the holidays with her friends, back in the Crystal Empire." He pointed, though there was no specific direction for there. "She said we could watch you for a holiday." He folded his great arms. "I think she's right."

"We can manage that." Ron swatted Harry on the back. "So, how was it? They treat you badly in there?"

"Ugh." Harry sighed with the memories. "The worst part was the boredom... I had nothing to do but wait, a lot." He half-lid his eyes with the thought of the time. "And plenty of chance to worry about what they'd do."

"Well you don't have to worry about any of that now!" Ron said firmly. "We're gonna make sure you have the best holiday ever to make up for it."

Arnavon eagerly nodded in agreement. "Oh yes, we have so many fun things planned!"

Harry smiled, his gloom already lifting at his friends' enthusiasm. "Like what?"

"Snowball fights!" Arnavon exclaimed. "I can jump and throw them really far." He was oblivious to the doubtful looks he was getting.

"And don't forget about all the magical snow creations we can make," Ron added. "Some of the older kids showed me how to bewitch snowballs to chase people or build snow-wizards that walk around on their own." The talk of homing snowballs perked Arnavon's attention.

Harry's eyes lit up at the ideas, his earlier tension fading away. "That sounds brilliant! Maybe I can try making a snow-pony."

"You'll have to show me how it's done," said Ron. "Bet I could figure out a snow-owl after seeing one of those."

Arnavon giggled. "I want a snow-tsuki!" He paused a moment. "Would that be a snow owl too?"

The three friends spent the next hour gleefully planning their holiday fun and adventures. By the time they finally left to begin their snowy hijinks, Harry felt lighter than he had in days. With Ron and Arnavon's help, not even Snape and his hatred could ruin his holidays this year.

The dazzling white hills around Hogwarts became their playground. Harry sculpted a proud snow-pony, carefully shaping each detail with his horn's magic. Ron managed a passable snowy owl, though it looked a bit lumpy next to Harry's creation.

Arnavon took a more direct approach - he leapt into the air and belly-flopped into a huge mound of snow. Popping his head out, he turned to the others expectantly. "It's a snow-tsuki!"

Ron and Harry laughed until their sides ached. "Maybe we should make a snow-wizard next," Harry suggested.

As the three set to work rolling massive snowballs, the winter sun glinted off the shimmering drifts. Harry took in the picturesque scene and his friends' smiling faces. This was already the best holiday he could ask for.

Alas, all good things had to come to an end, and the chill of the winter snow was starting to get to them. Harry shook his hooves to free some of the snow. "I vote we head back inside."

Arnavon could see Harry shivering in the cold, but didn't quite understand why. The great snow rabbit creature didn't really understand the concept of actually being cold. "Are you sick? I'll get you soup." He bounced ahead, eager to help his friend.

Ron chuckled at the sight. "He's a real friend, but he's a bit slow sometimes."

"Get off that." Harry thumped against Ron, the two heading for the school and its warmth. "He just come from a different, colder, place. They don't know what cold means."

Ron nodded as they walked. "Yeah, you're right. I shouldn't be so hard on him."

Soon they were back in the cozy confines of the school. Arnavon presented a steaming bowl of soup to Harry, who accepted it gratefully.

"This is perfect, thanks Arnavon." Harry smiled as the soup warmed him from the inside out. Sure, the bowl was about sized for two Harries, but he felt hungry, and cold, enough to enjoy it all.

"I'm glad I could help!" Arnavon replied. "I don't really understand being cold, but I want to take care of my friends."

"You're doing a great job," Ron said sincerely. Arnavon beamed at the praise.

The three sat by the fire, watching the flames dance. Harry felt his tense muscles finally relax. It was good to be back where he belonged.

"You know," Harry mused, "maybe the holidays aren't so bad after all."

"Just wait until you see what I have planned for tomorrow," Ron said with a grin.

Harry laughed. "Should I be worried?"

"Never!" Ron declared. "This is going to be the best holiday ever, I'll make sure of it."

And looking at his friends' smiling faces glowing in the firelight, Harry didn't doubt it for a second. "Oh!" Arnavon hopped in front of them. "Yes, yes! Tomorrow will be a very good day. I heard tomorrow is gift day! Maybe even I will get a gift? Do owls get gifts?"

Ron inclined his head with thought. "I'm really not sure if we're being honest about it... Um... Say, just in theory, if you did get a gift, what do you hope it'd be?"

Harry nodded quickly. "Just for fun, yeah, what would you want?" Neither of them had any idea what a tsuki would most want for the holidays. What did they give each other? "You want something, right? Just for fun. Tell us!"

Arnavon's eyes lit up at the question. He tapped his chin, considering. "Well, I really like new things to write in," he said finally. "Maybe a nice new book? Or colored ink! I could write in different colors." He gasped. "Or a really fancy quill!"

Ron and Harry exchanged relieved glances. Writing supplies they could handle.

"What about you, Harry?" Arnavon asked eagerly. "What gift would you want?"

"Hmm, tough call," Harry mused. "I wouldn't say no to some new robes. Mine are getting a little small."

He paused, then added more thoughtfully, "But honestly, just spending time with you guys is the best gift I could ask for."

"Aww, you two are getting sappy on me," Ron laughed. But his tone was warm, ruffling Harry atop his head.

"Well, there is one thing," Harry admitted in unsure tones. "I just learned about my parents, my, uh... I don't want to say 'real' ones, because the ones I have are very real. The other ones... Um... I never got to be with them for the holidays, that I can remember. I'd... I'd really like at least one, if I could ask for anything at all."

Things grew quiet with the somber promise. His friends slid in and leaned against Harry. Neither had really good words for that, but they could offer sincere warmth, and, perhaps, that was enough for the time.

The three friends stayed up late into the night, chatting comfortably by the glowing fire. Harry treasured these quiet moments, knowing the year ahead would likely bring more struggles. But for then, he was content.

As he eventually drifted off surrounded by the gentle snores of his friends, Harry decided this was shaping up to be his best holiday yet. And it wasn't over yet.

The next morning, Harry awoke slowly, blinking against the sunlight streaming in. For a moment he forgot where he was, still caught in dreams. Then Ron's loud snore brought him back to the present.

Harry smiled as he looked at his slumbering friends. It was hard to feel gloomy on such a bright, crisp day.

As he got up to stoke the fire, Harry noticed a small pile of packages that hadn't been there the night before. "Presents!" he exclaimed.

The shout roused Ron and Arnavon. They both sprang up eagerly.

"Is it really gift day?" Arnavon hopped over. His eyes widened at the stack of boxes.

Harry levitated the gifts over with his horn. "Looks like it! This one has your name, Arnavon."

With childlike glee, they dug into their presents. Arnavon was thrilled by his new ink, quills, and journal. Ron whooped at the hand-knitted sweater from his mother.

Harry opened his last. Inside was a framed photo of a smiling man and woman, waving at the camera. His throat tightened.

"Your parents?" Ron asked gently. Harry nodded, a mix of joy and sadness welling up in him.

Ron squeezed his shoulder. "Happy Christmas, mate."

Harry wiped his eyes, gazing at the picture. For this one perfect morning, it felt like his family was whole.

Arnavon poked the box the picture had come from. "There's more in here."

Harry perked, placing the picture aside. "Really?" He slid in for a better look. Yep, the box wasn't empty. There was a note inside. Harry floated it in his magic. "It says to enjoy the cloak. It's from my father. And to 'use it well.'" Harry lifted the package and shook it, but there was no cloak. "Any of you see it?"

Ron pointed to the original pile of gifts. "There's still some under there. The fun's not over!" He dug through it and found another with his name. "A fifty pence coin?" He laughed at the gift. "My parents are real jokers at times. C'mon, keep digging!"

Harry dared a smile, scanning for his name. The next was a collection of chocolates from Ron's parents. "That's nice of them." He was just a friend of their kid. Surely they didn't have to get him anything. He also got a flute, and some candy frogs from Hermione. "This is all great." Still, where was that cloak?

"You need an owl." With supernatural skill, Arnavon snatched a box and shoved it at Harry. "Here."

Harry blinked at the sureness of the action. "Uh, okay?" He ripped into it with his magic and the cloak fell free, the cloak of invisibility. "Wow... How did you know it'd be in that one?!"

Arnavon shrugged, looking a bit sheepish. "I may have taken a little peek when they were delivered."

Ron laughed. "Sneaky owl!"

Harry eagerly swept the cloak around himself, watching his body disappear from view. "This is brilliant! Just imagine all the things I can do with this." A mischievous grin spread across his face.

Ron nodded enthusiastically, but then paused. "Just...try not to get into too much trouble, yeah? Don't want you ending up in wizard jail over the holidays... again."

"Yeah, after last time, better play it safe," Arnavon agreed.

Harry's smile faded. They had a point. As thrilling as the cloak was, he knew better than to do anything too risky.

"I'll be careful," he promised.

His friends relaxed, trusting his word. Soon they were distracted by more present opening and celebratory feast preparations.

But Harry's mind kept drifting back to the cloak and all its possibilities. With it, he could explore the castle unseen, even visit the restricted section of the library. Surely a quick peek wouldn't hurt...

He shook his head, pushing the thoughts away. He just had to be patient. The time would come to put his wondrous new gift to good use.

For now, Harry wrapped the cloak out of sight. He rejoined his friends' cheerful chatter, determined to simply enjoy the holiday. The future could wait a little longer.

Arnavon bounced in place. "One box I didn't get to see first." The two looked at him quizzically. "Mine. I didn't see who put it there, or when. Did you do it?" He pointed at Ron.

"Core, not me! Um, I do hope you like it, but I didn't even get a chance to!"

Harry shook his hooves negatively. "I didn't do it."

"Then who?" Arnavon hopped to face where the presents had been piled. There were no easy answers for that mystery.

Author's Note:

I know, I'm a month off, forgive me! I have failed...

Join the special community of folks who like my stories, get updates early, and/or get your own here at atreon!

Don't want to do an ongoing thing? You could

Join my discord to chat!