• Published 16th Feb 2021
  • 2,696 Views, 177 Comments

The Trial Continues - Zerocool7785



This takes place A week after Sunset's Trial and the day after the Battle of the Bands. Sunset now as a new trials to deal with.

  • ...
8
 177
 2,696

Twilight's arrival.

Author's Note:

As always please review. I need vindication from the internet.

Wednesday morning Sunset awoke to a buzzing sound. She looked around and realized it wasn’t her phone, but the journal. Sunset quickly and saw a glow from the journal and knew it was a message from Princess Twilight. Sunset was always excited to hear from her. It dawned on Sunset it was still dark, meaning it was probably early Wednesday morning.

Sunset opened the journal and read the message from Twilight.

Sunset Shimmer,
I have some important news to tell you. Don’t worry it’s good news. I am going to come for a visit, as I would like to tell you personally. What works best for you? Let me know.

Princess Twilight Sparkle

Sunset sat there in shock. She wondered what it could be and why Twilight wanted to tell her in person. So she figured she better respond and tell Twilight, the best time to come.

Sunset wasn’t worried about people seeing Twilight. Just people seeing her arrive. Her friends knew about the portal to Equestria, and she hoped to keep it to those six. Picking up a pen she wrote back.

Princess Twilight Sparkle,

I am excited to hear what you have to say. I am curious why you can’t tell me in the journal. But the best time to show up would be during classes. So this way no one sees you use the portal. You can wait in my mom’s office. (Vice Principal Luna).

Sunset Shimmer

Sunset finished writing to Twilight and put the book back, going back to sleep was not going to be easy, Twilight was coming to see her and with good news for once. Sunset was elated and two seconds later she was fast asleep.

* * *

The next morning at Breakfast Sunset couldn’t wait to tell Luna the good news. As soon as Luna came into her room to wake her up, Sunset jumped out of bed.

Luna was completely shocked by Sunset being awake and out of bed and not having to fight with Sunset to get her up.

“O.K. Who are you, and what you have done with the real Sunset?” Luna asked.

“Mom, you are not gonna believe this!!” I got a message from Twilight last night in the journal and she’s coming for a quick visit. She has important news to tell me and wants to tell me personally!!” Sunset exclaimed.

“Why are you so excited? Usually when she comes here something bad is happening.” Luna told her.

“She has promised me it’s good news!!” Oh I can’t wait to hear it. Oh I better tell you she might show up during classes. I told to come while classes were in session so no one sees her using the portal. I also kinda told her to wait for me in your office.” Sunset said the last line trying to sound sweet and innocent.

Luna scowled at Sunset over the last remark. “Sunset I don’t have time to babysit, plus what if Celestia or one of the teachers show up.” Luna told her.

“Mom your sister, Aunt Celestia knows who Twilight is.” Sunset reminded her.

“Ok fine but do the girls know?” Luna asked.

“No I was gonna check in at lunch and see if she arrived yet.” Sunset told her.

“OK but everyone is not having lunch in my office, understand?” Luna said.

“Yes mommie dearest.” Sunset said being smart.

Luna spun around and put her pointer finger up right in Sunset’s face. “Don’t you ever call me that, understand.” Luna said with a voice full of authority and no hint of sarcasm.

“Sorry mom, I was just joking.” Sunset said.

“Sunset I’m sorry but I’m on edge. Chrys texted me last night and said Gilda has requested to speak to her at the prison today.” Luna informed her.

“Oh no.” Sunset replied.

“Unfortunately yes. Also Sunset, maybe tonight we should watch that movie and you’ll see why I reacted like that. Sorry to snap at you, you probably don’t know that story do you?” Luna asked

“No, I just heard the phrase before.” Sunset replied.

It’s ok.” Luna said wrapping Sunset in a hug.

“Now c’mon we got to get to school.” Luna said, taking her keys off the plaque.

Sunset grabbed her bag and Luna got her purse and umbrella as there was a chance of rain. Sunset hoped Twilight didn’t teleport in right in the middle of a downpour. That would be very unpleasant. Yet whenever Twilight visited they usually had good weather.

Sunset was lost in thought to the point where she didn’t even realize they had arrived at the school. Upon arrival Sunset hopped out the car and ran to meet her friends near the statue so they could all hit the music room and hang out before school.

It hurt Luna some to see Sunset run off with just a quick “bye mom” and wave goodbye. But she was also happy to see Sunset hanging with girls her own age and having friends. Plus since the Battle of the Bands incident, less people had been harassing Sunset. With Gilda and the Diamond Dogs behind bars, life seemed perfect for once.

* * *

During third period the portal at the base of the horse statue outside of Canterlot High shimmered and out came Twilight Sparkle. Twilight looked around and made sure no one saw her. Quickly and quietly made her way into the school.

Looking around to make sure no one was roaming about, she hurriedly made her way towards Luna’s office. Twilight did not want anyone to know she was there this time as she was supposed to be in and out. Not that she didn’t want to see her friends, she did actually. Just the rest of the school considered her a bad omen. If Twilight is here there is usually trouble.

Twilight made it to Luna’s office and knocked on the door.

“Enter.” Luna said without even looking up.

“Vice Principal Luna?” Twilight asked as she slipped in, then saw her sitting there.

“Hello Twilight, you're kind of early, it's only mid morning, Lunch isn’t until fifth period, it’s only halfway through third.

“That’s fine, I can wait, unless you don’t want me too.” Twilight said, feeling awkward.

“Well let me call Sunset next period she has a study hall. Unless you want to wait until her friends are able but then that’s lunch, and I have a meeting with Celestia in a few minutes. Unless you want to wait here, but if someone walks in it could cause several questions to be asked.” Luna explained.

“Okay go to your meeting, I’ll hide under the desk.” Twilight quipped.

“It won't be long, and I’m sorry, but I didn’t expect to babysit today.” Luna said, then mentally punched herself as soon as she said it.

“Babysit!! I’m a princess in another world, I don’t need a babysitter! I am not over there playing pretend or dress up!!” Twilight said, getting louder and very annoyed with Luna.

Luna realized what she said as soon as she said it and needed to quiet Twilight down and quickly.

“Twilight I didn’t mean it like that…”Luna began with her hands in front of her trying to calm her down.

“You know what Luna? How about I just come back some other time? I didn’t want to tell Sunset through her journal but I guess I will. Especially considering you think you need to babysit me!” Twilight said, getting louder.

“Twilight calm down, I have to go to a meeting, hang here in the office, and lock the door after I leave, I’ll bring Sunset here next period I promise.” Luna said.

Twilight locked the door and slumped down in the seat. The same seat and same office where Luna had claimed she had destroyed the decorations for The Fall Formal. Thank goodness Flash came in with those photos that Sunset had used to make it look like Twilight was the culprit.

Twilight had to admit, due to everything that had happened that she was glad that Luna took Sunset in. Luna could be a real hardass but that was what Sunset needed. At least that’s what Twilight thought. Sunset had everything Twilight could want her to have a home, a loving family, protection, food, clothing, and good friends.

She was quite miffed that Luna thought she had to babysit her. She had saved Equestria about 4 different times and the Crystal Empire too. Babysit-really?

* * *

“Ah know what you mean thar’ Sweetie Belle, now Applejack wants to invite Sunset over this weekend to help out with the apple harvest.” Applebloom complained.

The Cutie Mark Crusaders were in the library at one of the back tables complaining about Sunset Shimmer and how much time their older sisters were spending with her. Also how her “magic” turned them into freaks.

“You see what I mean?” Sweetie Belle said.

“I know Rainbow is trying to see if Sunset can be equipment manager and drag the volleyballs and other equipment out at practice. Since the Fall Formal Rainbow has had very little time for me.” Scootaloo replied.

“Guys Rarity wants to use her as a model for new clothes. She’s designing, it's not right.” Sweetie Belle whined.

“We need to do something to save our sisters.” Scootaloo replied.

“Ah don’t know about all that Scoots, but we do somethin’ because I don’t see Applejack anymore as it is, now this weekend Sunset is gonna be thar’. Applebloom said.

“She’ll probably talk to her the whole time too. At least I got the laptop set up before Sunset could do it.” Sweetie Belle added.

“Well let’s put our heads together and see what we can do about this.”Scootaloo replied.

“Ah’m sure we can figure somethin out.” Applebloom said triumphantly.

“Shhhh!” Warned Miss Cherilee as she walked by.

The crusaders decided to keep it on the down low for and wait for a chance to strike.

* * *

Luna unlocked her office door and made Twilight jump. Twilight had curled up into a ball on the chair and gone to sleep. She had the door locked in case anyone tried to walk in while she was in there.

“Twilight I did not mean to startle you.” Luna said as she walked in.

“It’s ok. How was your meeting?” Twilight asked.

“Fine, Celestia and I are looking for fundraisers that we can do to help recoup the losses from the Fall Formal debacle.” Luna said plopping down behind her desk exhausted.

“Luna I need to know, really and truly, how is Sunset doing?” Twilight asked.

“Guilty, scared, she went through a lot of bullying here. She had food dumped on her, shoved into and locked in her locker while someone painted “She Demon’s Lair” on the outside…”Luna recounted when Twilight interrupted her.

“Sunset was locked in her locker, while someone painted on the outside of it? With her pounding to be let out?” Twilight asked, with tears in her eyes.

“Yes she was beaten unconscious, as well. If Rainbow Dash had not come along Sunset would be dead. This was 24 hours after the Fall Formal.” Luna said looking like she was gonna cry any minute.

“Had I known she was going to be treated this badly, I would have brought her back to Equestria with me. This is horrible.” Twilight cried.

“I know, it’s been hard.” Luna admitted,

“She has you and two wonderful “aunts” and five friends as close sisters. Luna you did the best thing taking her in. I can’t thank you enough.” Twilight said.

“Twilight I have made plans to adopt Sunset Shimmer legally.” Luna said.

Twilight’s face lit up and she even squeed. “Luna, that is wonderful news, Sunset in her journal referred to you as mom.

“ When she calls me mom. It makes me feel really happy.” Luna said.

“Is she free yet?” Twilight asked.

“I’ll call her in.” Luna said.

Luna hit her buzzer and said to Ms. Inkwell. “Ms. Inkwell, have Sunset Shimmer report to my office please.” Luna said.

While waiting, Luna told Twilight about Apple Cinnamon. Twilight was shocked that Luna had time for dating.

As Sunset opened the door she heard Luna say “He was a total gentleman and…”

“He was and still is a homewrecker.” Sunset said walking in.

“Sunset.” Luna warned.

“Twilight, hello!!” Sunset said. Twilight stood up and the two girls embraced.

“So what is this important news that you had to tell me in person?” Sunset asked as the girls sat down.

“Well it’s this…”Twilight started.

* * *

Canterlot State Prison that afternoon.

Chrysalis walked down the tier of the A wing to Gilda’s cell. The prison guard opened the door.

“Gilda you have a visitor, behave yourself.” He said.

Chrysalis stepped into Gilda’s cell and saw Gilda had a bunk and a little table set up with a chess board set up.

“Ever play chess?” Gilda asked.

“You requested me for a chess game?” Chrysalis asked.

“More than just that.” Gilda replied.

Gilda motioned for Chrysalis to approach the board. Chrysalis cautiously walked over to the board. A guard walked in and put a chair down. Chrysalis sat down and looked across at Gilda.

“Make the first move.” Chrysalis said.

“I already have.” Said Gilda moving her knight out.

As the game rolled on Gilda asked “Chrysalis doesn’t it wake you in the middle of the night, what happened? Thinking that locking me up is going to magically reform me. Knowing one day someone will pick up where I Ieft off?”

“Yes it does. Check” Chrysalis replied, moving her rook into position.

“Tell me what do you do when you wake to that?” Asked Gilda staring at Chrysalis.

“I feel a great swell of pity for you or anyone else who comes after my niece.” Chrysalis replied, sliding her knight into position.

“Why did you come here Chrysalis?” Gilda leaning back from the board.

“Why do you ask questions to which you already know the answers?” Chrysalis replied.

“Your never ending search for hope.” Gilda replied.

As Chrysalis got up to leave Gilda said to her “You know this prison won’t hold me forever. A war is coming and I intend to fight it.“ Gilda said.

“I will be there too.” Chrysalis said, exiting the cell.

“Sunset will be at the center of it and we will find out where people’s loyalties truly lie.” Gilda said ominously. Chrysalis just waited as they closed the cell door and she walked away.

Gilda went and lightly knocked over her king, a classy way of symbolizing checkmate. For now.