• Published 15th Feb 2021
  • 359 Views, 61 Comments

Something Sparkling - Captain_Cosmos



In one universe, Sparkling Medley is shaking up Ponyville. But what is she doing in another universe? Shaking up Appleloosa that's what. Come on Pardners. She be coming 'round the mountain!

  • ...
4
 61
 359

Chapter 1

Sparkler held a smile the whole way through as she walked down the rustic brown path leading to the country tavern, with Flappy flying beside her.

“Shoowee. Sure was a lot of unpacking today.” Sparkler said.

Flappy nodded. After spending between two and three hours moving their hefty inventory of music equipment into the new studio above the tavern, they had gone back to the Inn to unpack their personal belongings, which admittedly, there weren’t many of.

“Squawk! I’m just glad we got it done in one day. Your condition can be handy sometimes. Squawk!” Flappy commented.

Sparkler jumped in fear and rapidly glanced around in all possible directions. Upon thankfully seeing nopony well enough in their vicinity to hear them, her nerves settled down. But the ordeal wasn’t done, as she gave Flappy a glare.

“I don think I told you to zip it up about that there subject.” She hissed at him.

Flappy didn’t seem bothered at all by the harshness. He only chuckled and rolled his eyes. “Squawk! Oh come on Sparkler, nopony’s around. They won’t hear. Squawk!”

Sparkler shook her head and continued to insist. “I ain’t takin any chances.”

Flappy sighed and nodded, conceding. “Squawk! Alright. Only in our room. Squawk!”

Sparkler nodded and ceased the strong tone. “Thanks pard’ner.” She smiled. “Now, how’s about you go and introduce yourself to the local animal population in this here town.”

“Squawk! That’s a great idea! Squawk!” Flappy nodded as he split off from Sparkler and took off to find said animal population. “Squawk! Don’t drink too much! Squawk!” He said as he flew further and further away.

Sparkler groaned as she could faintly hear Flappy chuckling in the distance. “I don’t do that stuff!” She shouted at just enough volume.

She groaned in annoyance more as she continued on the path to the tavern. “I only go to these joints to socialize. Can’t a gal just do that?” She sighed. “If only anypony would talk to me.”


A few minutes later, Sparkler arrived at the tavern door and regained her happiness from earlier. As if that weren’t enough, she noticed something stand-out off the corner of her eye. She turned her head to see a white sign that read, in large, black all-caps, “OPEN MIC NIGHT!”

She beamed at the sight. “Well I’ll be a tumbleweed. It’s open-mic night. Looks like I came at a good time.” She excitedly pushed open the doors and entered the dark, but vibrant (especially tonight) tavern. Open mic-night meant that ponies would be singing and playing their instruments; that adds even more fun to the night, particularly for a music pony like Sparkler!

And if she hit a stroke of luck, a few of them would stop by Sparkling Harmony Records to record their next big hit. There has to be a few in this town that have that dream, she thought, seeing a golden opportunity on the horizon tonight.

As she stepped in and walked over to the bar area of the tavern like earlier, she glanced around at the multitude of packed-together ponies in the crowd. She giggled to herself. Open mic night must be really popular in this town!

She took a look up at the stage, where, due to being on stage, a pony worthy of capturing Sparkler’s focused attention was bound to be there.

And... she was right! Looking up at the stage, Sparkler saw an Earth Pony mare with a neutral-to-dark brown coat, not milk chocolate brown but not quite dark chocolate brown either. Her straight and thin mane was a beautiful, sunny yellow color, though part of it was covered by a Stetson similar to her own, but brown instead of blue.

But that wasn’t what Sparkler found most interesting about this mare. No, it was her music that grabbed, in fact, nearly 100% of her attention. Her Cutie Mark being music-related, Sparkler could tell when a song was good or bad just by listening to it for a mere few seconds.

And whoever this mare was, there was no denying that her talent in music was at a rare high level. The way she harmonized high and low notes with her voice, the melody of the music, everything else; Sparkler had to know who this mare was.

And if she wanted to record any songs.

Sparkler reached the familiar bar counter and tapped on it to get Grapefruit’s attention. “Hey Grapefruit, a glass of milk please!”

Grapefruit glanced over from what he was doing and noticed Sparkler sitting herself at the bar. He smiled at the sight of her second appearance today, in the exact same place where she was before.

“Hey, if it ain’t my new tenant Sparkler. You said a glass of milk?”

Sparkler nodded. “Yep.”

Grapefruit nodded back. “Coming right up!”

Grapefruit went to work filling an exquisite blue glass with fresh white milk, while Sparkler’s eyes wandered back to the stage, and more specifically the mare, who was playing a banjo-driven country tune on precisely that instrument, with a variety of other instruments providing the rest of the song, through what Sparkler could clearly tell was a prerecorded track.

That likely meant, though, that this mare was proficient in many, many instruments. Shoowee. I can hear some instruments I don never played before...I wonder if she’d be willin to teach--

“Here ya are Sparkler.” Sparkler was abruptly taken out of her thoughts when Grapefruit pushed the glass of milk over to her. “One tall glass of milk.”

Sparkler smiled as she took the milk in her magic. “Thanks Grapefruit.” She took a sip of the milk and gestured to the stage. “Say, that gal up there. You know her by any chance?”

Grapefruit looked over to where Sparkler was pointing, smiled, and nodded. “I sure do. That’s Autumn Apple. Hooves down the best musician in town.”

Sparkler nodded. “I believe it. But is she the best because she is, or was, the only musician in town?”

Grapefruit chuckled. “There are other musicians in town. She really is the best.”

Sparkler nodded. “Good. I prefer if I didn’t have just one customer.”

She and Grapefruit both chuckled. Grapefruit nodded. “Yeah I would think so. Variety is business 101.”

Sparkler nodded. “Obviously.” The conversation then paused there when her ears noticed a lack of music and a noticeable increase in clapping. She glanced over to see Autumn bow, and walk off the stage. Her eyes followed the fellow musician mare until she sat at a table. After a moment of consideration, she decided to take the plunge.

“I’m gonna go introduce myself.” She stated.

Grapefruit smiled and nodded. “She loves meetin new ponies, so that’s a great idea.”

Sparkler nodded and walked over to Autumn’s table.

At the table, Autumn smiled as the last of the applause finally faded out and the next performer was up. She was beaming with great success and fulfillment coming from this night.

That went better than I thought! If this was the reaction to me performing solo then I shouldn’t have trouble in the future!

And I’ve got some ideas for songs too…yep. I can tell I’ve got a bright futu...

“This seat taken?”

Autumn physically jolted a bit as she was brought out of her thoughts by an unfamiliar voice. She turned her head to the source, and saw a pink unicorn mare in a blue poncho and matching blue stetson smiling at her.

In fact, this was the same mare Autumn had noticed arrive earlier while on stage. She was hard to miss, given how vibrant and bright of a pink her coat was.

“No, not at all!” Autumn said. “Thanks for coming to talk!”

Autumn was hit with a light blast of surprise at this event. Sure, it was an open-mic night and everything, but this meeting was more…personal. Like, this pony came up right to her and asked to sit at her table. That wasn’t very common.

Sparkler nodded. “No problem.” She smiled and sat down in the chair across from Autumn. “I saw you up there just now. You’re a good musician.”

Autumn had a slight blush. “Thanks.” She said. They both sat at the square-shaped table.

“You play often?” Sparkler asked.

“All the time.” Autumn responded. “It’s my main job, to play music. Specifically, I work as a session and touring musician. I help bands that need an extra member in their shows due to too many instruments for the amount of members they have to play them all, or in the studio, by playing the parts for instruments that the members can’t play. Things like that.”

Sparkler raised an eyebrow at this role. “A mare of yer talent relegated to the rear of the stage? The background?” She asked.

“Heh.” Autumn responded. “Funny you say that, because I’ve been trying to do solo work more, as I was just doing up there. I guess my session and touring job comes from a desire to help others.”

Sparkler nodded. “Nothin wrong with that. Always good to help others.”

And here, a crucial and missing part of this meetup clicked into Sparkler’s mind, and she chuckled.

“Oh, where are my manners. The name’s Sparkling Medley. Ponies call me Sparkler.” She introduced herself, holding her hoof out to Autumn for a shake.

“Autumn Apple is the name here. Or just Autumn, as Apple is my last name.” Autumn replied as she accepted the hoofshake. “As that implies, I am related to Applejack. I’m her cousin.”

Sparkler smiled in deja vu at an exposure to a pony with this kind of connection.

“Applejack, as in, the Element of Honesty?” Sparkler asked.

“Yep. That’s her!” Autumn responded.

Sparkler smiled and nodded. “She’s quite the celebrity.” She said, unable to compose a more complex label for Applejack at the feeling of meeting somepony part of her family tree.

“Oh yeah!” Autumn responded. “And an awesome pony in general; I love being related to her.”

Sparkler nodded. “Must be a right time whenever you see her.”

“It’s one of my favorite things to do.” Autumn responded. “Especially when it’s the Apple Family Reunion. That’s always been my favorite day of the year.”

Sparkler nodded, then decided to change direction.

“So Autumn, you said you were doing more solo work. Ever thought about recording yer songs and releasing them?”

“Yep. It’s on my agenda for the near future. I just haven’t had much time, with all the session and touring commitments.”

Sparkler smiled and reached the point at which she released her advertisement.

“Well. I got a studio above the tavern here. If’n you ever need help. Just come see me.”

“Oh, wow! You occupy this here building somewhat?” Autumn asked.

Sparkler nodded and nudged her head to the bar. “Grapefruit over yonder was gracious enough to let me use one of his spare rooms uptop.”

“That’s awesome! Grapefruit is really generous.” Autumn responded.

Sparkler nodded. “It is fortunate.”

“Oh yeah. I already plan on going up there when I have the time. Thanks so much for the offer!” Autumn says.

Sparkler nodded. “Any time.”

Now, here was the time for a swap to the other side.

“Alright, so now I’d like to take the conversation to you, Sparkler.” Autumn said. “What kinds of things do you like to do?”

“I’m something of a musician myself.” Sparkler replied.

Autumn’s eyes shot open, with her feeling a sense of magic coming through her.
She and Sparkler already had a connection!

“Well then!” Autumn exclaimed. “We, um, could do things together!”

Sparkler nodded. “Yeah. I reckon we could! Especially since now I’ll be sticking around here for a while.”

“How long do you think you’ll be here?” Autumn asked.

Sparkler chuckled. “Forever.” She replied. “I just moved here today.”

“Awesome!” Autumn exclaimed. “Congratulations on your move!”

“Thanks.” Sparkler replied. “Still haven’t found a permanent residence though so fer now I’m stayin at the local inn.”

“The local inn here in Appleloosa is awesome.” Autumn said. “Good choice.”

“By the way.” Autumn continued. “If you need help looking for a place to live, I’m native to this town, so I could try to help you out.”

Sparkler smiled and nodded. “I’ll be sure to come to you if I do need help. Thanks Autumn.”

“You’re welcome.” Autumn replied.

“And thanks to you too, for coming to talk with me. I did not expect this kind of more… intimate thing. Most meet-ups at open mic nights are shorter, talk only about music, and are done while standing.”

Sparkler nodded. “Yer right welcome Autumn. I never say no to making a new friend.”

Autumn felt another blush coming along. Sparkler seemed so, so sweet. And to think that out of how many ponies in this restaurant, it was her that got a close meetup. Looking around, she could not find evidence of any of the others sitting across from a pony they didn’t already know personally.

“Out of curiosity, what was it that drew to you saying hi to me, specifically?” Autumn asked Sparkler.

Sparkler smiled. “My special talent is music. Fer me specifically, I can tell when somepony’s a good musician just by listening for a short bit. And you, Autumn, are at a level of musical proficiency not many can reach. So when I heard you playing earlier, I just had to meet you.”

Sweet Celestia. Autumn couldn’t even comprehend these words coming out of Sparkler’s mouth. All she could say in response was the basics.

“Thanks so much. That means a lot.” She responded. “I can already tell you’re an amazing pony in general.”

Sparkler nodded. “I could say the same about you.”

...

Wow. What a meeting this was!

And they could only ask for more.

“Sparkler, are you available at any time tomorrow? I mean, tomorrow is Saturday, and I’ll be off work.” Autumn asked.

Sparkler nodded. “Yeah. I’ll be available tomorrow. Why?”

“Because, you’ve already been great to hang out with. And this one feels different. Like, even though I’m very well-known around this town, my interactions with other ponies are very rarely like this.

“I don’t really know where the difference is coming from, but it exists.”

Sparkler raised an eyebrow. All of a sudden, something wasn’t sitting right.
“What do y’all mean?”

“Well… truth be told, I don’t quite know what I mean.” Autumn says. “But here’s some context: I live alone. And I live alone despite hating it. I’m a big extrovert and I really wish I had a roommate.”

“Yet somehow, some way, despite being really well known around here, I can’t find anypony to live with.” Autumn said through this classic world of pain that she went through day-by-day.

“What’s stopping you?” Sparkler asked with nothing but concern in her voice.

“I think… I think it’s just that I’m rather picky.” Autumn says. “I don’t really want a roommate who can’t handle instrument noise going around the house, and like, I think that’s reasonable…

“...but then, there’s me not wanting to room with anypony who is in a committed relationship. I feel like I’d be getting in their way, and like, if I have a roommate, I kind of want them to be my roommate, you know? I don’t want to be a sideliner who lives alongside a couple; I want a close friendship.

“And then there’s the fact that I tour a lot, and rooming with somepony who doesn’t like being alone either wouldn’t work out too well.

“But I can convince myself over and over again that I’ll never find a roommate with such narrow options like that, that this must be the reason why I don’t have one despite my fame, that I’m not flexible or adaptable enough.

“And it kills me inside. That comes out to a destiny of: either I have no roommate, or have a roommate situation I’m not satisfied with.

“Like, I cried myself to sleep earlier today when thinking about this stuff.”

Sparkler was taken completely aback by all this. She bit her lip and remained silent for a moment, not exactly knowing what to say to it all.

“It’s okay if you don’t have a response yet.” Autumn assured Sparkler. “I know I just gave you a big load of emotional info. Take your time.”

Sparkler nodded, and after the right amount of time, she found her voice again.

“Ah huh. Can’t say I was expecting all that. When you first said you wanted a roommate, I was wonderin’ why you didn’t have one already because of you being an extravert…and apparently it’s because you're a picky shopper. No offense.”

“No offense taken to that label.” Autumn said, leaning her front forelegs down on the table. “I would say I’m picky, but I don’t really know if that can be changed. If I tried to force myself to be a roommate with somepony who has a marefriend/coltfriend, I feel like I’d just be putting a burden on them and their partner, because trying to make yourself do something you don’t like won’t put you in a very good mood.”

“And if I room with somepony who needs peace and quiet, then where does my career go?

“So I’m pretty much convinced I’m doomed to forever loneliness.” Autumn said with tears starting to fall.

With tears being present, Sparkler immediately sprung into action. “Hey now, I’m sure there’s somepony out there who checks all the boxes. Ya never know. You might’ve just met them right now.”

...Huh?

Autumn sniffled and tried to wipe the tears away at a possible glimmer of hope that just presented itself. “Really? Are you single, by any chance?”

Sparkler nodded. “Yeah. I also have no problem with loud noises.”

“And you say you’re a musician, so yeah, that makes sense.” Autumn said. “That’s two out of three; could there finally, possibly, be a three out of three?” She beamed, possibly seeing the elusive sunrise in this story of hers.

“What was the third?” Sparkler asked.

“Would you feel lonely if I had to go on tour? Because I’m not going to stop touring; it’s part of my life. But it would hurt to leave my roommate alone for that long if they’re just like me in their extroverted nature.”

Sparkler smiled and shook her head. “I am an extravert, like you. But, I won’t feel lonely if’n you leave on tour. On that note, how well do you handle pets? Because I’ve got a pet parrot.”

“I’m just fine with pets.” Autumn responded. “I don’t have one myself, but having been around Applejack and her highly populated farm quite a bit, I get along well with them.”

Sparkler nodded. “Then loneliness won’t be a problem.”

...Wow.

Autumn could not process her emotions here. Not one bit. Like… she found somepony? She found a pony that would be compatible with her as a roommate?!

It was like this day just gave her a golden egg!

Still though, she had to take a step back. This was only the first time she had ever met Sparkler, so it makes nothing short of perfect sense for them to see how things go in the days ahead before they consider rooming.

“Wow! That’s awesome!” Autumn responded. “Finally three out of three! I guess this is all the more reason for us to meet up together tomorrow.”

Sparkler nodded. “Mind if I bring mah parrot along? I’m sure he’d like to meetcha.”

“Sure!” Autumn responded. “I’d like to meet him too.”

Sparkler nodded. “Alright. I’ll bring him along. What should we do tomorrow?

Autumn tapped her hoof to her chin for a bit, in thinking. “How about we meet in the studio upstairs and record?”

Sparkler nodded. “Sounds like a right time to me. Technically I’m closed on the weekends but that don’t mean ah can’t use mah studio. What time you thinking of meetin up?”

“I can meet you here at about, between 10 and 11 AM tomorrow.” Autumn responded.

Sparkler nodded. “Sounds like a plan.”

“It sure does! And I do believe it’s time for me to head back home here, I had my meal before I did that performance, so, catch you tomorrow, right above here!”

Sparkler nodded. “When ya do get here, look for the door with the star engraved with the words, Sparkling Harmony Records, on it. That’s mah studio.”

“Sparkling Harmony Records. I like that name. And thanks for the directions!”

Sparkler tipped her stetson to Autumn. “My pleasure ma’am.”

Autumn giggled. “You’re awesome, Sparkler. I look forward to seeing you tomorrow.” She said, walking away from the table. “Bye for now!”

Sparkler waved at Autumn. “Til tomorrow!”


So, this was some day if there ever was one! After Autumn had things going so bad for her that she fell asleep crying, she finally broke out and did a performance of her own, which then led to meeting a pony who happened to tick all three of those roommate boxes.

The day would be considered Autumn’s best ever, if there wasn’t still that pervasive notion that she’s too picky.

Okay, so maybe I found a pony who’s really compatible with me, but is it morally right to even have such a narrow compatibility search in the first place?

Gah, pony feathers. So much for the best day ever!

Well, maybe…

I’m sure Sparkler could help with this. She helped a ton today. Yeah, I’ll talk to her about it sometime soon.

Good thinking!

With that in mind, Autumn went to sleep, finally able to look forward to something again.

To be continued…

Author's Note:

What adventures await for Sparkler and Autumn? Stay Tuned to fid out!

THX FOR READING!